GT Academy 2012 (NA) General Discussion

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 3,455 comments
Good Job to all who have made it through! Unfortunately, I gave in the past few days and did not make it in the 1:31's as I had hoped.

So, I do feel bummed out and will have to suffer another year of seeing 16 individuals getting a shot at the dream. :guilty:

But I will improve for next time's GT Academy and hope I can be as fast as some of you! :dopey:

Can I delete GT Academy now? Or do I have to wait to receive the car prizes 1st?

Btw, congratulations you lucky sob's. Hope to be downloading GT Academy episodes, to watch you get a good physical buttkicking, soon. :)

Can I delete GT Academy now? Or do I have to wait to receive the car prizes 1st?

Btw, congratulations you lucky sob's. Hope to be downloading GT Academy episodes, to watch you get a good physical buttkicking, soon. :)

You want the prize cars, I would wait.

I feel like a dummy. It didn't dawn on me until now to check split times via replay theater to see where I could improve.

Me (outlaw4rc): 34.079 / 30.614 / 26.851 = 1:31.544
Let_Canada_In: 33.901 / 30.481 / 26.615 = 1:30.997
Difference: 0.178 / 0.133 / 0.236

Well, I know I didn't get the last corner right, so once again, it was skiddish car rotation during trailbraking, leading to iffy exits. Maybe I should've bungee corded the brake pedal after all. :ouch:

Me (thepatriots): 33.923 / 30.611 / 27.113 = 1:31.647
Difference: 0.023 / 0.130 / 0.498

I wonder where my problem was??? I absolutely destroy the first section. Second section, ok not loosing too much time and then splat!

chriz00
Good Job to all who have made it through! Unfortunately, I gave in the past few days and did not make it in the 1:31's as I had hoped.

So, I do feel bummed out and will have to suffer another year of seeing 16 individuals getting a shot at the dream. :guilty:

But I will improve for next time's GT Academy and hope I can be as fast as some of you! :dopey:

I know what you mean Chris, I stopped because there was alot of events going on with my family and life also :(, but I feel great competing with everyone here on GTPlanet and many others for the utlimate goal......... A Career In Motorsports....

This year taught me well and next year and beyond will even help me more...:dopey:👍

Congrats to everyone with the lowest time possible and to the Top 32. :cheers:

Me (thepatriots): 33.923 / 30.611 / 27.113 = 1:31.647
Difference: 0.023 / 0.130 / 0.498

I wonder where my problem was??? I absolutely destroy the first section. Second section, ok not loosing too much time and then splat!
Just some guesses.

1. Were you doing constant restarts or did keep going for laps on end? Someone mentioned it earlier, but doing the former will make you rusty in the last section, since you're not running it enough times.

2. The 2nd to last corner. It requires the perfect angle, with the car rotating just enough that you're not fighting the wheel on exit, while keeping the car at 90-100% throttle. Strangely, I was decent here in the last two days.

3. The last corner. You're just crossing fingers that the car goes in deep enough, and the nose is pointed the right way, AND the fronts have grip.

Congrats to the finalists. I put a bit of effort in, but since I'm ineligible to actually take part, I never set about improving my time much. Good luck guys, make us proud, keep your eyes on the prize :)

Just some guesses.

1. Were you doing constant restarts or did keep going for laps on end? Someone mentioned it earlier, but doing the former will make you rusty in the last section, since you're not running it enough times.

2. The 2nd to last corner. It requires the perfect angle, with the car rotating just enough that you're not fighting the wheel on exit, while keeping the car at 90-100% throttle. Strangely, I was decent here in the last two days.

3. The last corner. You're just crossing fingers that the car goes in deep enough, and the nose is pointed the right way, AND the fronts have grip.

Well at first I would hit the cones in the first section then be forced to restart so from that, yes, I would be rusty on the final section. But i usually tried to do 20 lap stints (I did this with almost no problems towards the end).

On the second to last turn I could NEVER get it to work at the proper speed so I ended up just slowing down more and rotating less. This was faster than just hucking it in and messing up (which happened 99% of the time). For the final corner, I had two different lines. One was my, "Ok this is not THE lap line". With this I would go all the way to the outside of the curve in 1st gear, turn in and full throttle out. This let me hit 102mph at the start finish line. Then my second line was my "Ok this IS THE lap I need to carry speed through this corner". I had more success than the second to last corner but it was still a challenge. The tail would always step out or I would bog down. Sometimes I did get it. Regardless both times I lost too much straight line speed.

When the Motegi DLC comes out I am going to practice until I can get close to 1:31.000. When I get to that point I will be satisfied.

8-5 made me realize just how much I need to work on my skills. I tried for a solid 2 weeks to break 1:36 and never could. I got to 1:37.4 something. I even turned up the driving aids and I couldn't get there. I loaded up a ghost of one of the leaders that was using a DS3, since that's what I use. I was able to follow some of that person's movements but there were some sections where their speed just put me in the dust. I was never able to figure it out. I didn't lose a car since I have the 370Z tuned car '08 from the last time it was offered, but it still drives me nuts. I thought I was decent at this game... now I realize I have a LOT to correct.

Congrats to everyone!! I know I could have done better, and I was sweating bullets tword the end. I turned a 1.31.240 on thursday morn, and I was on the brink of being in the 1.30's(if I would have kept playing). I went on a long bike ride, then picked the daughter up from gymnastics, turned it on later that night, and I couldnt even get close to where I was before. I blamed it on the TV I was using ,it was so blurry I could barely read the signs,it was making my head hurt. So I went out and bought a new TV. That was a mistake, I felt like I had to learn to drive all over again. To make matters worse ,my brake pedal and throttle pedal were both intermitantly sticking worse than usuall, I was pulling my hair out knowing how close I was thursday night and now not being able to even hang with my own goast, was very disappointing. When I set that time I was in 5th, and ended in 30th with the same goast. I was waaay closer to the bubble than I expected to be, but I made it!!!! I cant wait to get this show on the road and finally put some faces behind the names I see so much. Good Luck to all!

Might as well put up my lap for the world to see:

Some notes:

T1 - Carried a bit too much speed, which got the car skidding a bit on the exit. I've hit this better a few times.

T2 - Can't recall how many times I've grazed that cone.

T3 - My greatest nemesis. I wanted to be all on the left on exit, which given how often I messed up T2, was nearly impossible. So many times, I turn and there's zero grip. :grumpy:

T4 & T5 - Sometimes, the car really bites into T4, allowing me to go full throttle. Didn't happen on this run.

T6 - I never could get rotation in 3rd gear like others. Braking point seemed like it was a moving target too. I was off the mark in this clip.

T8 & T9 - Honestly, that was probably the best I hit those S's in all my runs. I've had great laps go awry at T8 far too often because the car kept skidding on me on entry.

T10 - Decent but I know I've hit that even better than that.

T11 - Ugh! Car had no exit grip. Completely missed my apex to boot.

Nope but i think it would be cool if i got the email wensday, since that is my birthday would make a great bday present. :)

Nothing says happy birthday quite like racing cars in a building full of people dressed as Superheroes. :lol: If it's there.

It'll most likely be some documents mailed to you that you need to sign and get notarized. (I get it done at a Postal Annex or Kinko's, costs like $5 or $10.) You will have to make a copy of your driver's license also. Then mail everything back within the short time period; I suggest paying the extra to have it overnighted. You might even be able to fax the stuff back. Just make sure you have copies of everything in case it gets lost in the mail.

....and cue the complainers. :rolleyes:

(the first comment on the blog)

Edit: Posted this before I read the second comment, which is total WIN. :lol:

Back