World Classic Car Challenge - Results Posted

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 422 comments
It will not be the fastest, nor the best handling car, but I hope it can put a smile on your face :dopey:

I have completed testing on the camper. I have to say it was pretty good except for the last corner at the bottom of the hairpins. That 1 corner did NOT make me smile. :ouch:

But when I finally got through there without slamming the wall or losing half a second fishtailing, I did smile when I saw my time. I would never have guessed this monstrosity could run that quick. :eek:

Full report to follow.

HaylRayzor
I have completed testing on the camper. I have to say it was pretty good except for the last corner at the bottom of the hairpins. That 1 corner did NOT make me smile. :ouch:

But when I finally got through there without slamming the wall or losing half a second fishtailing, I did smile when I saw my time. I would never have guessed this monstrosity could run that quick. :eek:

Full report to follow.

In car view is the way to go :D. Just picture some kids in the back seats laughing :dopey:

Looking forward to your assessment :cheers:

frenzal
I am looking forward to trying the bus...to be honest, I loved taking it for a run in the Top Gear test.

I hope it at least puts a smile on your face... and you survive :scared::lol:

His psn is Ziz528

I have completed testing on the 3 tunes but I'm holding my results until all tunes are in.

I will say that the Isuzu and Nissan are both good and very close. :embarrassed:

Good, testing that Isuzu was a bit of an issue as my driving wasn't good enough to see if the times were up to par, so glad to know it's holding up alright. :lol:

HaylRayzor
His psn is Ziz528

I have completed testing on the 3 tunes but I'm holding my results until all tunes are in.

I will say that the Isuzu and Nissan are both good and very close. :embarrassed:

But the bus is dominating the field...right? :dopey:

If by dominating you mean" sliding down the mountain on it's roof" .... :D:lol:

My 2k2 is about as done as I am going to get it. I'll post the tune and share it tonight once I send it over to my main account. Still squirrelly but better, I think. Probably won't do well unless you have very good throttle control and a smooth hand. :embarrassed:

If by dominating you mean" sliding down the mountain on it's roof" .... :D:lol:

My 2k2 is about as done as I am going to get it. I'll post the tune and share it tonight once I send it over to my main account. Still squirrelly but better, I think. Probably won't do well unless you have very good throttle control and a smooth hand. :embarrassed:

I happen to like squirrels. :D

When the tunes are all in I'll share my own pet project. It's so squirrelly it runs on acorns. And I love it! :lol:

SharkyJr.jpg

Based on: BMW 2002 Turbo '73
Acquired: Used Car Dealership, A-Spec Extreme Series DTC Championship

SPECS
Drivetrain: FR
Power: 167HP @ ??
Torque: ?? ft-lbs @ ??
Weight: 1105kg
PP: 386

PARTS
GT Auto
-Oil Change
-Paint: BMW Silbergrau Metallic
-Wheels: Stock

Tuning Shop
-Fully Customizable Transmission
-Fully Customizable Suspension
-Comfort Soft Tires

SETTINGS
Body & Aerodynamics
-Ballast Amount: 25
-Ballast Position: -25

Engine
-Power Limiter: 95.0%

Transmission
-1st Gear: 3.468
-2nd Gear: 2.367
-3rd Gear: 1.727
-4th Gear: 1.329
-5th Gear: 1.080
-Final Drive: 3.980
-Top Speed: 130 (112 indicated)

*NOTE: Only Final Drive needs to be adjusted from default

Suspension
-Ride Height: -10 / -2
-Spring Rate: 5.5 / 3.5
-Extension: 7 / 6
-Compression: 6 / 5
-Anti-Roll Bar: 4 / 2
-Camber: 1.8 / 1.5
-Toe: 0.20 / 0.25

Brakes
Brake Balance: 6 / 4

DRIVING OPTIONS
Transmission: Optional
Steering Sensitivity: 0
ABS: 1
Other Aids: OFF

Not for the faint of heart! Sharky doesn't care how you drive. Sharky will tell you how to drive. Sharky will throw you off the mountain if you don't listen.

Smooth and deliberate is the key. If you lose it, you're done. Don't do too many things at once. Don't chuck it in and expect it to work. Do think a corner or three ahead. Brake early, turn early, smooth power.

If you need a ghost to chase check the attachment. Follow these steps to get it to work.

Attachments

• DB-2002.zip
    245.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Still squirrelly ...

I take back what I said about my car being squirrelly. You win. :crazy:

And the car had sport hard tires on when I borrowed it so everybody be sure to check tires so you don't test with the wrong tires.

Last edited:
NISSAN SKYLINE 2000GT-R (KPGC110) '73

picture.php

-Displacement 1989cc
-Max. Power 176HP /7100rpm
-Max.Torque 141ft-lb /5800rpm
-Drivetrain FR
-Length 4460 mm
-Width 1695 mm
-Height 1380 mm
-Weight 1101 kg F 59 R 41
-Performance Points 386 pp
-Distance 39,048,300

SETTINGS :

Parts to buy ;

-Oil change
-Engine Overhaul
-Chassis Maintenance
-Weight Reduction Stag 1
-Sports Exhaust
-Fully Customizable Transmission
-Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
-Tiers COMFORT soft

TUNES ;

Weight Adjustment :
Ballast Amount (kg) : 25
Ballast Position : 50

Power Limiter :
Power Level :98.7%

Transmission :
Gearing In this order please
keep it as its don't reset to Default
only adjust final gear to 5800

Suspension :
-Ride Height : F -9 R -5
-Spring Rate : F 11.5 R 9.0
-Dampers (EX) : F 8 R 6
-Dampers (com) : F 6 R 3
-Anti Roll Bars : F 6 R 5
-Camber Angle : F 2.5 R 2.2
-Toe Angle : F 0,5 R 0,30

LSD :
Initial Torque : F 0 R 0
Acceleration Sensitivity : F 0 R 0
Braking Sensitivity : F 0 R 0

Brake Balance Controller ;
Front 9 Rear 10

Tuned with DS3 ,ABS 1, All aids off and controler senstive is 0 .

SAM :dopey:

Last edited:
HaylRayzor
I take back what I said about my car being squirrelly. You win. :crazy:

And the car had sport hard tires on when I borrowed it so everybody be sure to check tires so you don't test with the wrong tires.

Yes. Yes I do. :lol: You essentially need to nail the corners just so to have a shot at a decent time. I have my best lap saved and can post it if anyone would be interested in viewing it or using it as a ghost. A bit of smoke and sliding in spots so a better driver should be able to whittle off the tenths.

Hmmm, I checked the tires on it before sharing since the GVS enduro requires sports. I'll take it down and fix it up so testers don't need the extra check.

This will be my results post. Results are listed in the order I tested them, and do not represent times. Times redacted until all tests are complete.

My feedback is not meant to be harsh, just honest. :)

ACSR421 Nissan 240ZG

Time: 1:21.198

Drivability: 2

Notes: Very stable. Easy to hold it wide open through the bends due to good rear grip. Slight push on entry and mid-corner. I found 2nd gear impractical so I used 3-6. Does not spin the tires on corner exit due to gearing.

trackripper Isuzu 117

Time: 1:21.1863

Notes: Stable. Predictable. Good balance of grip front to back. Good gearing. Slight rear wiggle in the bends coming up the hill, but otherwise completely composed. Solid tune.

krenkme VW Sambabus

Time: 1:21.964

Drivability: 3

Notes: "Interesting" choice. Faster than you expect. Slight push in the hairpins, except the last hairpin at the bottom. In that turn the rear would come unhinged. It took several laps to find a technique that would get me through there with the rear still in the rear. I found that if you made the corner as wide as possible and shifted to 3rd before you entered the turn it could be done.

It was hard for me to get used to the 4,000rpm redline. I kept hitting the rev limiter. That’s more a comment on the car than the tune.

I have to admit that I ran a few extra laps because I was so close to a 21 that I knew I could get it.

DigitalBaka BMW 2002

Time: 1:20.882

Drivability: 3.5

Notes: I emerged from this test bloodied and bruised. Every turn it was me against the machine. His weapon was a roundhouse punch called oversteer. My weapons were a quick jab called countersteering and some fancy footwork called throttle control.

I’m not afraid to say he had me on the ropes. For 13 long rounds (felt like 130) I’d land a solid combination of punches, only to be rocked by his haymaker. In round 3 I landed 4 solid jabs and finished sector 1 ahead on points. But he brought the pain in the sweeper and I settled for a draw at the end of the lap. 4 of the first 14 laps were red. Those were clear wins for him. The best of the others was a slight advantage for me at 1:21.197. I could call the rest a draw.

Times were hovering in the mid 21s every round that I didn’t hit the barrier, but I could see that if I could just stay out of his strike zone for a full round I could win this fight.

Then in round 14 I stunned him with a rapid combination in the hairpins, emerging almost 3 tenths ahead of my ghost. I knew he could still put me down if I misjudged the sweeper, but I wasn’t going to let up now when I finally had the advantage. We went toe-to-toe as I late braked the sweeper. I kept it in 4th just to throw him off balance as I turned in. Easy… Easy… Keep the back in line… Then when the rear was settled into a controlled slide I downshifted and powered out of the curve. I was car lengths ahead of my ghost by this time and I kept the hammer down through the bends, using a slight anticipatory countersteer to fend off his punch over the little crest.

Just one more turn. I admit I backed off a hair entering the turn but with a good late apex I rocketed across the line with a 1:20.882. Winner by TKO in the 14th round!

On a more serious note, the oversteer is only controllable with the most precise steering and throttle. And once it starts to slide it’s virtually impossible to bring it back without major gyrations. I’d rate this tune as “difficult”.

NEWDRIVER2 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R

Time: 1:20.982

Notes: This car was somewhat frustrating because it had a push in the hairpins but in the sweeper it would oversteer on entry and understeer mid to exit. I never got a really good corner there. The final turn was somewhat the same but not as bad. It has high horsepower and it definitely made time up the hill.

The understeer in the hairpins would be OK if it was more balanced in the sweeper, or if it was at least consistently loose or tight. I know I lost 2 or 3 tenths there every lap.

Still, it managed a good lap, competitive with the other cars so far.

XDesperado67 Mazda Cosmos

Time: 1:20.707

Notes: Another frustrating one. The Cosmo is composed and quick going down the hill, but the sweeper marks the end of that. I found it almost impossible to get into the sweeper and keep the rear behind unless I entered 2-3mph slower than I should be able to. And then it bogged coming out of the turn and killed the lap.

I decided that I wasn’t going to baby it. I would either make it through the turn or lose it. I ran 12 laps and it wasn’t until the 12th lap that I got a decent turn 5. And when I say decent I still drifted the entire corner but at least I didn’t lose the rear completely.

In the end I was rewarded with a quick lap.

The close ratio tranny doesn’t do this car justice on this track. I wasn’t able to use 5th gear at all, so it’s a 3 speed.

But let me say that if you can get the rear to behave a little better in the sweeper, and give it an adjustable tranny with a good final ratio, this car would be a rocket.

EDIT: I just noticed the brake bias on this car, and it explains why I was having problems with the sweeper. I trail brake into this corner and this much rear brake is causing the rear to break loose at the point where I am starting to turn but not quite off the brakes yet. As a test I tried it again with the bias at 5/5 and found it much more suited to my driving. I was able to take 1/4 second off my best time with this adjustment, but this is specific to my driving style. YMMV. I can't change any settings for the official test but just wanted to add this information to the notes.

Theo777 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale

Time: 1:21.395

I found this car very loose also. The extreme rear brake bias forced me to brake considerably earlier than I wanted to. I had to be completely off the brakes before turn-in or the rear would come around.

I was unable to keep the rear in line through the bends without feathering the throttle slightly.

But more than being loose, there was a general lack of grip. I think this is endemic to the car, as I noticed this when I was testing my own tune for it.

I ran 13 laps, with the 13th finally yielding a respectable pass.

Out of curiosity I changed the brake bias to 5/3 and found the car much more comfortable. I assumed I could run a faster lap this way but it turned out that my lap time was equal to my best official lap. So it wasn’t faster, just felt better (to me).

MrMelancholy Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R

Time: 1:20.611

Notes: This tune fits my driving style well. Just a little pushy in the hairpins, very balanced in the sweeper, and composed over the crest in the uphill bends. Good pull up the hill.

Can’t really find any bad behavior. Not much else to say.

MrGrado VW Karmann Ghia '68

Time: 1.21.908

Notes: This one is the most unusual tune of the bunch. The suspension settings can best be described as “unconventional”.

It works pretty well through the hairpins, but with noticeable push. The push surprised me in a RR car.

But as the speed picks up the handling goes to oversteer. In the sweeper at the bottom of the hill it is difficult to keep the rear in line.

It’s stable in the uphill bends but suffers from low power.

The final turn combination requires a delicate balance of steering and throttle.

I did at least 50 restarts on this one. I could see from my split times that a 2X.XX was possible but I just couldn’t put all the sectors together.

I finally did what I feel was close to my best possible lap and called it a day.

I feel this car would do better with more weight and more power. Unfortunately more power just isn’t possible.

HaylRayzor (The Special Guest) Alpine A110 1600S '73

Time: 119.826

Drivability: 2.5

Notes: This one is fast. Almost a "cheater" car for this contest. It's got a perfect 50/50 distribution to begin with but it's light weight is a drawback due to the broken PP system of GT5. But add weight up to 900kg and it comes alive.

It zips through the hairpins like it's got sport tires on, and it "handles" in a straight line too.

Of course it's not perfect. It is loose in the sweepers, and the last hairpin can be a challenge.

But in the end you just can't overlook the lap time. It speaks for itself.

I don't have all the replays but here are those under 1:21

Last edited:
HaylRayzor
*snip UFC Championship match *

On a more serious note, the oversteer is only controllable with the most precise steering and throttle. And once it starts to slide it’s virtually impossible to bring it back without major gyrations. I’d rate this tune as “difficult”.

:lol: I would bet that reading about it was more enjoyable than the driving. I would also very much agree that it is difficult to get around clean. Kudos to you for even attempting to reign in the back end when it tried to drag you down the mountain.

You very much need to be one step ahead and not try to do too many things at once. Perhaps it is easier to drive with a DS3 than a wheel. I'll surely revisit the settings once the testing is over. Obviously there is improvement to be made. :embarrassed: Thanks for putting your life on the line and surviving the ordeal. :D

Just saw what Hayl is doing, guess I could put my results in this post :D Going to start right now.

krenkme Camper Van -

Fastest time - 1:23.584

Wow, this van is extremely fun to drive and fast for it's looks. It did take it's big behind sideways sometimes though :P. Other than that, the speed is great and the handling is not perfect but really close. I found it hard to beat my 1:23.584, so I stopped around 17 minutes of testing. Rating this one a 2/5.

NEWDRIVER Nissan SKYLINE 2000GT-R (KPGC110) '73

Fastest Time - 1:23.095

It was really stable, didn't come off the track because of the car. It would oversteer once in a while, but it was pretty nice. I started to get annoyed with my driving at lap 11 because I kept hitting walls and stuff.
I think this car deserves a 1/5. It was great to drive, until my bad skills took over...lol. :)

acsr421 Nissan/Datsun 240ZG

Fastest Time - 1:22.365

Pretty nice drive! Except the top speed wasn't that great, but this track doesn't have big straights. Also, at those narrow S Curves, the back was sliding out a bit. If I could to 1.5/5, I would, but I'm gonna say 2/5.

XDesperado67 Eunos Cosmo

Fastest Time - 1:23.319

Okay, this car is pretty quick, but if you make a mistake or let the car do the rest of the turning for you, you're toast. I found my tires smoking countless times, it started to get annoying. After you exit the tunnel, you have to be extremely careful on how you coordinate the next turns. I can't say it didn't get a good lap time, but I'm gonna have to give this mini classic a 4/5. :(

Theo777 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale

Fastest Time - 1:24.159

Fun, small car. It was nice to drive and pretty stable. I can't find anything very negative about this car. I don't know if I should be doing this, but this car is another 1/5. I feel like I'm doing something wrong giving out 2 1/5s :scared:

DigitalBaka BMW 2002 Turbo

Fastest Time - 1:23.068

Here again, another car in which I found myself smoking. It was hard to control the way the car took the corners, but I liked the speed. Gonna give this one a 3/5..

Trackripper Isuzu 117

Fastest Time - 1:23.845

This car was actually pretty stable, but it understeered a bit in the long corners. I didn't find my tries smoking at all. I'll give this one a 2/5.

MrGrado Karmann Ghia

Fastest Time - 1:23.087

Pretty nice drive, smoked my tires only 3 times! A bit more sluggish than most of the other cars, but the handling was superb. Something notable: The car does a wheelie on the landing of the jump. Something going on back there in the trunk stuff? ;) Anyway, this one's a 2/5.

Last edited:
XDestroyer's Mazda Cosmo: 1:29.322
Krenkme's Volkswagen Type 2 (T1) Samba Bus: 1:25.984
Digitalbaka's BMW 2002 Turbo: 1:27.237

It should be noted I exclusively drive an automatic, and I suspect that is why the Samba is winning my tests...

Last edited:
@HalRayzor try driving it with an automatic. I'm thinking your trying to force it into the wrong gears. As for the sweeper at the bottom of the hill try braking gently a touch earlier and you should be able to take it around 55-57mph without losing the rear end in a drift. With an automatic it just barely shifts into 5th gear before braking for turn 1 and the final sweeper. I tried a custom transmission with a reset final gear and my time was over half a second slower when set to make full use of 5th. To be honest I almost went with the customizable transmission set to purposely exclude 5th gear as my times that way were much closer but the feel when driving was slightly off and I thought some drivers would object to driving what would basically be a 3speed for this track. Anyways thanks for the test and remember that for most if not all these cars being smooth on throttle and brakes and running a clean line will give you much faster lap times than trying to throw them at the corners with late hard braking and hammering the throttle on exit. The skinny comfort soft tires on these old cars can't handle the stresses of super aggressive driving that better quality newer tires can.:crazy:

Back