GTP Cool Wall: Dodge Challenger R/T. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 77 comments

Challenger R/T

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1970-1971 Dodge Challenger R/T 426 Hemi suggested by Strittan :.

pic61246.jpg

Specs:
Wheelbase: 110.0 in (2794 mm)
Length: 191.3 in (4859 mm)
Width: 76.1 in (1933 mm)
Height: 50.9 in (1293 mm)
Engine: 426 cu in (7 L) Hemi V8: 425 bhp (317 kW)/490 lb·ft (664 N·m)
1/4 mile: 13.0 @ 108 mph (174 km/h)
0-60: 5.9 seconds

Last edited:
Uncool. It's a Mopar and a muscle cars, two things I do not associate with cool. Also I knew a guy (unfortunately) who claimed to owned one and he was the biggest tool box I had ever met, funny enough he drove a Jeep too. That pretty much sealed the deal for me on not liking this car or even remotely thinking it's cool.

Cool. V8, muscle car, one of the better-looking ones too. Would be utterly useless over here in the UK but that's what'd make it cool too, as you'd rarely see another and everyone would turn their head as you drove along.

I'd give it a sub-zero if it wasn't recently re-hashed into a terrible new vehicle. The only car i'm ok with is the new Camaro. Until it eventually gets old too.

Wait...crap It was a Hemi...

Meh, I like the Charger better, anyway. a really pretty cool from me. I think if it were the T/A, I'd go sub-zero.

It's a muscle car...

It's a Mopar...

It's a worthy opponent to the Mustang...

It's SUB-ZERO

Joey - you have 70-73 R/T 426 Hemi Challenger posted up.The R/T 426 Hemi Challenger was last made in '71,not in '72-3 as you have posted up.......needs corrected (strittan nominated '71 R/T 426 Hemi Challenger),.72's-3's were smallblock equipped btw.You did this with the '70 Chevelle also,which in turn was also very misleading.Your combination of car years is going to confuse people,possibly altering their final vote.You should try to keep it as specific as requested.

Anyhow - it'a a Mopar-it's got a Hemi-it's an E-body,this = SUB-ZERO

Joey - you have 70-73 R/T 426 Hemi Challenger posted up.The R/T 426 Hemi Challenger was last made in '71,not in '72-3 as you have posted up.......needs corrected (strittan nominated '71 R/T 426 Hemi Challenger),.72's-3's were smallblock equipped btw.You did this with the '70 Chevelle also,which in turn was also very misleading.Your combination of car years is going to confuse people,possibly altering their final vote.You should try to keep it as specific as requested.

Anyhow - it'a a Mopar-it's got a Hemi-it's an E-body,this = SUB-ZERO

People need to learn to make this information known in there nominations. I don't want people suggesting specific years, but rather the year range for the given model. And I can't really be bothered doing all the research, especially on cars I don't care about.

Also I used the picture Strittan posted.

Guess I need to rewrite the rules to make them clearer.

Last edited:
Your combination of car years is going to confuse people,possibly altering their final vote.

I doubt it. It's a cool wall, not a numbers-matching wall.

Case in point: This is a Dodge Challenger. It is awesome and sub zero. I don't care what year it's from or what the engine is, or even that Joey got the picture from one but the words for another.

I doubt it. It's a cool wall, not a numbers-matching wall.

Case in point: This is a Dodge Challenger. It is awesome and sub zero. I don't care what year it's from or what the engine is, or even that Joey got the picture from one but the words for another.

It is misleading,you cant compare a car that was never made,72-3 Challenger R/T with a hemi.Go find a "factory built version" of this,never going to happen.Thats why the people need to be more specific as Joey points out,why should he do their homework,Just post as nominated,not varying years.

It is misleading,you cant compare a car that was never made,72-3 Challenger R/T with a hemi.Go find a "factory built version" of this,never going to happen.Thats why the people need to be more specific as Joey points out,why should he do their homework,Just post as nominated,not varying years.

I fear you missed my point. This is a cool wall. It's judged on a scale entirely without substance.

What version a car is doesn't matter. What year a car is doesn't matter. Whether Joey's got the version and the year of the car right doesn't matter. All that matters is a name and a picture (and sometimes a sound helps too).

Dodge Challenger. Picture of old Dodge Challenger. Conclusion: Sub-zero.

I fear you missed my point. This is a cool wall. It's judged on a scale entirely without substance.

What version a car is doesn't matter. What year a car is doesn't matter. Whether Joey's got the version and the year of the car right doesn't matter. All that matters is a name and a picture (and sometimes a sound helps too).

Dodge Challenger. Picture of old Dodge Challenger. Conclusion: Sub-zero.

:lol:,I think your missing my point.The version and years absolutely do matter,without a doubt.You cannot fairly compare a '70-1 R/T model with a hemi to that of it's latter yeared '72-4 smallblock models which did not have the R/T badge,these are 2 seperate performance levels......no comparison what-so-ever.So yes,it does matter.

You cannot fairly compare a '70-1 R/T model with a hemi to that of it's latter yeared '72-4 smallblock models which did not have the R/T badge,these are 2 seperate performance levels
Quoted for emphasis. Performance ≠ coolness.

Only a cool from me...

Too rare of a car to cut up into something even better and Hemis are simply too heavy for a proper all-rounder. So I'd rather a small block.

Sub Zero, It is Mopar and a Muscle car, two things I don't associate with being uncool.

:lol:,I think your missing my point.The version and years absolutely do matter,without a doubt.You cannot fairly compare a '70-1 R/T model with a hemi to that of it's latter yeared '72-4 smallblock models which did not have the R/T badge,these are 2 seperate performance levels......no comparison what-so-ever.So yes,it does matter.

You're making it uncool. For the car's sake, stop already ;)

I'd be inclined to agree with Famine. I personally wouldn't have had a clue which model it was. I know what a Challenger looks like, and the car in the picture is a Challenger. That's enough for me to make a decision without being anal about the difference in one or two years between different models produced. As far as I'm concerned, it's a cool car and discussing years makes it no different than two bearded blokes discussing the seat trim on a Hillman Avenger. In other words, it becomes uncool.

You're making it uncool. For the car's sake, stop already ;)

I'd be inclined to agree with Famine. I personally wouldn't have had a clue which model it was. I know what a Challenger looks like, and the car in the picture is a Challenger. That's enough for me to make a decision without being anal about the difference in one or two years between different models produced. As far as I'm concerned, it's a cool car and discussing years makes it no different than two bearded blokes discussing the seat trim on a Hillman Avenger. In other words, it becomes uncool.

I'm making it uncool ? Thats better than the Sunday funny section in the newspaper.:lol: I'm merely trying to keep the playing field level.

So your going to tell me that when a person nominates a car ('71 Challenger R/T hemi),thats it's as cool as a '72-4 with a smallblock(which was not even nominated,btw).How can you possibly put these 2 on the same playing field and expect the same result ? Not even remotely the same car,seriously,think about it.

Which is more cool :

'70-1 Hemi R/T's ?

or

'72-4 smallblock versions ?

The hemi factor comes into play my friend,it really does.Some people may not admire the '72-4 smallblock versions because of this.Thus my point,you cannot group these cars together.Completely different cars.

Which is more cool :

'70-1 Hemi R/T's ?

or

'72-4 smallblock versions ?

Neither. They're just numbers and letters.

Is the Dodge Challenger cool? Yes it is. Done.

But you are making it uncool, at least in my view as well.

This is one of the things I dislike about muscle car fans and what in the ends ruins the cars for me. Coolness is much more than just the car itself but the people who like them. It's the same reason why I can't ever vote a Holden as "cool".

In the end most people aren't really going to know the difference and the ones that do aren't really going to care that much, save for a few very hardcore fans. In the end most people just see the words Challenger and call it a day.

The first post has been changed so what's the point about running this into the ground? No one died, no one got hurt, and we can all keep living our lives.

Back