Fanatec is making me sad.

Update 11/28 - the situation has stabilized somewhat with Fanatec emailing me updated wheel firmware which solves the saving settings problem and about half of the high pitched whining. It does not resolve the "spontaneous loss of FFB" problem that I am not alone in experiencing, but the problem is sporadic and sometimes doesn't happen for days, so I'm not returning the wheel over it. I did return the CSR Shifter Set because it was junk. I cannot return the pedals because the plastic base has deformed under usage loads/pedal reorientation and I doubt Fanatec would take it back even if I tried. As I said in another thread, I should have bought the CSP instead as their mounts are metal-on-metal and not metal-on-plastic. I'm still unhappy with Fanatec products overall, but as I am stuck with what I've got I am now going to use them until they break, at which point we will see if Fanatec warranty service is any better than their web support. ETA: 3 months.

Original unedited post follows below
-----

Hi all, new here but figure I need to get my voice heard somewhere, since obviously Fanatec support doesn't hear it or respond to it. You'd think they would at least answer 1 email after I dropped 500 bucks on a top flight sim setup from their webshop.... :indiff:

Anyway... I picked up the CSR, CSR elite pedals, and CSR shifter set a couple weeks back (to add to my Bob Earl Racing Seat v1), and the wheel specifically has been nothing but trouble from day 1.

The wheel emits high pitched electronic whine (similar to coil whine on GPUs) most of the time (possibly all the time, I don't know because I wear headphones) and this is in PC mode, not XBOX mode (the mode everyone seems to claim is the cause of this problem). It also makes this mid-range mechanical/electronic noise that I can't describe, loudest when first turned on but still audible at any point afterwards.

It also has the firmware problem of not saving profile settings after power off. Coupled with the below problem of losing FFB and needing a reboot, I've found myself re-inputting all of my wheel settings a dozen times per day.

The wheel shakes/vibrates at very low levels at all times (every couple seconds) even when in windows (!).

The wheel frequently loses center and locks onto false centers, and repeatedly loses FFB completely (including centering) in the middle of play, needing to be power cycled to regain it (and of course when it does that it loses my saved settings too, and I have to restart the game and drop out of online play!) This happens every hour or even more frequently, and makes completing races or playing online absolutely impossible.

Lets get off the wheel for a minute and discuss the hideous ergonomics of physically adjusting the CSR Elite pedals -- an hour long job of monumental frustration (what the heck were they thinking when they designed the bolting system used for left-right pedal adjustment?) followed by another hour of trial and error adjustments because you can't physically tell how it will work until you sit down and test it. Oh, and Fanatec could have mentioned in the manual that the lowest placement possible for throw ("longest" throw, as I understand it) doesn't work for clutch or brake because clutch clips on something at around 90% depression and brake only gives you around 60% range due to the load cell not being able to reach due to the long throw. These are stupid design decisions you shouldn't see in such a pricey product... :indiff:

With all of these wheel problems I haven't bothered to touch or even open the box of the shifter yet. No idea what I will find when I do. :nervous:

At least the pedals are sturdy, very well designed overall, and mostly made of high quality materials, more than I can say for that cheap plastic rubbish Fanatec calls a premium racing wheel. And I say mostly because I noticed the geartooth input feeders for the pedals are made out of the cheapest plastic you could imagine. An odd choice considering where they are, what they are, and how important they are. It would have cost what, 25 cents to make them out of aluminum? All those high quality aluminum components and then you see that.

The wheel is pretty much the opposite though, with extremely cheap plastic everywhere and a couple of alcantara and metal bits thrown in to distract from how poorly constructed the wheel actually is, and to justify the ridiculous price. I doubt the CSR will last for even 6 months of daily simming, and since I won't be able to afford a replacement this year, that makes me extremely sad, as I am heavily addicted to rFactor (the reason I bought this rubbish in the first place). The pedals, even with the problems, were worth 150 bucks because they're solid, well built, very functional, and generally high quality. But no way in the world is that cheap plastic glitchpile of a wheel worth 250. NO WAY.

I've encountered all of these issues (and more I haven't mentioned) repeatedly in the 2 weeks I've been a Fanatec owner and, needless to say, I am not at all impressed. I go online and find no updated firmware, no response to support emails, and nobody with any answers.

Did I just waste 500 bucks? I'm seriously bummed here. :ouch:

PS: When everything works properly, I enjoy this setup a great deal. It just doesn't work properly for any reasonable period of time. The 250 dollar plastic steering wheel seriously bummed me out (as a 10-2 position driver), so I hand-wrapped the top plastic part of the wheel with gel grip tape. A great improvement, but it was stupid that I had to spend 10 more dollars to cover up those ugly plastic seams (and that one nasty sharp plastic seam joint on the left side that kept cutting my hand). Pretty much typical of my Fanatec experience so far though... so.... yeah.... sorry this was long, but I'm frustrated to my absolute limit.

Last edited:
1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg

I don't mean it in a bad way. It's no secret that Fanatec doesn't have the best customer service. Thomas from Fanatec actually posts in GTPlanet and has been known to take matters into his own hands. He may see this topic.

Another option would be posting in this topic:

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=4793

Neither is a guarantee, but they're options nonetheless. Other than that we can't really help you.

Before the Fanatec fanbois jump all over you, I'd like to chime in that you're not alone.

I'm happy enough with my pedals. (I got the Clubsport pedals with the free tuning kit.) So, there is that.

Like you, I'm a 10 & 2 driver, so the wheel is less than optimal for me with regards to fancy stuff where I put my hands. I did know that going in though. I figured that if I was unsatisfied with the plastic part of the wheel (which I am. My seams are unobtrusive, but who the hell thought that having ANY part of a racing wheel be smooth painted plastic was a good design decision?) I'd cover it with leather or something else. Once I decide whether or not the entire setup is going back for a refund, I'll probably disassemble the wheel and coat the plastic crap with Plasti-Dip or some such. I deliberated back and forth between the CSR and the GT2 for a long while, knowing that the GT2 would likely be a better fit for my driving style. I finally went with the CSR based upon the claim of "upgraded electronics" within the wheel itself, though no one from Fanatec has ever actually stated what that entails, as far as I know.

Fortunately for me, I suffer from neither the high-pitched whine, nor the settings not saving. FWIW, if you contact support and actually manage to get a response, supposedly there is a new beta firmware that they can send you which alleviates both of these issues.

That last bit there though is the rub. Contacting support. I wish you luck with your unboxed shifters. My H-pattern shifter (one of the top drawing points of this gear for me) came out of the box not working right. A week in and I've yet to hear anything back from customer support beyond the automated emails that get sent out.

A Fanatec rep on another forum said that he emailed support about my issue two days ago and still has not heard back from them either.

Thomas, the CEO of the company, messaged me here and asked for my email so that he could look into it. One would hope that would see some results, but nothing yet.

If customer support is so overwhelmed that they cannot respond at all in a WEEK, I'd say that there are some serious problems at the company. Is their support staff incompetent? Has the company stretched past its abilities by introducing and working on so many new products which have not been subjected to rigorous quality control thereby resulting in an unhandleable level of support demands? Are they swamped because they had to release their Forza tie-in wheel to coincide with the launch of the game, despite both companies almost positively having to know that there were several issues that hadn't been worked out?

At the moment I've got $500+ worth of driving gear that's sitting unused. Good thing I've still got my Logitech gear which worked right off the bat 100% when plugged in.

FWIW, if you contact support and actually manage to get a response, supposedly there is a new beta firmware that they can send you which alleviates both of these issues.

This much I can confirm, having done the firmware update, myself. Hope that gets your hopes up a bit.

Nice first post, welcome to the forums.

You may find that if you put an email to companies with the same attitude as you have vented here then it doesnt help things.

Have a look in the Thrustmaster T500 thread, you will find customers who laid down big money on their purchase and some products shipped with issues. It happens sometimes so get over it as it certainly is not just a Fanatec issue.

Thomas himself, you may not be aware is a very busy man currently having been in China overseeing production. He hasnt come back to you in a week, gees patience however when was the last time the CEO of Logitech or Thrustmaster appeared on these forums or offered to personally contact/help?

Sometimes problems happen, sometimes it takes a while to sort them.

By all means please open up a Logitech or Thrustmaster to see what "cheap plastic components" they have or what is metal. Your whole post is just venting stuff that isnt a problem "like it is a problem" and attacking the products.

Last edited:
Obviously dodgy wheel. What interests me is the pedal combinations not working properly. Load cell for example not registering when altered to the longest throw

Reviewers on here will test that I presume.
Alter the pedal setup combinations to test all circumstances.

Feel sorry for you mate.

Obviously dodgy wheel. What interests me is the pedal combinations not working properly. Load cell for example not registering when altered to the longest throw

Reviewers on here will test that I presume.
Alter the pedal setup combinations to test all circumstances.

Feel sorry for you mate.

Often you find the default position is the best. That was the case with the CSP for most people and they were even more frustrating to take apart. The best option was adapting the coil stiffness or replacing the coils for stiffer/softer ones. The point is the product offers "options". Something the T500 or a G27 set of pedals do not offer. These pedal products do have a degree of hobbyist or technical work required to adjust them.

I do agree that Fanatec could have better and more detailed instructions though.
If their is an issue with adopting some positions then the instructions should highlight that.

Last edited:
I thought there are options for the T500.
I don't own them so I don't know but I thought inverting them was quite easy.

Nice first post, welcome to the forums.

You may find that if you put an email to companies with the same attitude as you have vented here then it doesnt help things.

Have a look in the Thrustmaster T500 thread, you will find customers who laid down big money on their purchase and some products shipped with issues. It happens sometimes so get over it as it certainly is not just a Fanatec issue.

Thomas himself, you may not be aware is a very busy man currently having been in China overseeing production. He hasnt come back to you in a week, gees patience however when was the last time the CEO of Logitech or Thrustmaster appeared on these forums or offered to personally contact/help?

Sometimes problems happen, sometimes it takes a while to sort them.

By all means please open up a Logitech or Thrustmaster to see what "cheap plastic components" they have or what is metal. Your whole post is just venting stuff that isnt a problem "like it is a problem" and attacking the products.

lol Latte - are you a fanatec sales rep now that you got a wheel to review? so what if he has issues with Fanatec, he is not the only one.

can't really compare corporations like Ubitsoft/Thrustmaster and Logitech who employ thousands of employees worldwide, whereas Fanatec is a basically a one man show. no CEO should be wasting their time on forums, instead they should focus on improving business -> customer service for Fanatec could be a good start. last year i cancelled my order cause they sucked and i heard many promises (even from the CEO via PMs) but it seems it really hasn't improved tbh , at least not in any convincing way for me to want to become a customer (the site was also supposed to be improved ages ago yet it seems to be same as last year's site, etc... in the end it seems more like talking the talk and less walking the walk). guess too bad for me because that BMW wheel looks really tempting, but the rational part of me says no.

Last edited:
lunarwolf
lol Latte - are you a fanatec sales rep now that you got a wheel to review?

Man I thought I was going mad.
His attitude towards Fanatec had turned around 180 degrees.

When Thrustmaster revealed there new wheel he was all over it and joking about Fanatecs faulty wheels until.....

New Fanatec wheels announced then he switched sides again back on board with Fanatec. Pointing out faults with others who shared there views etc.

Brown nosing all the way.

When Thrustmaster revealed there new wheel he was all over it and joking about Fanatecs faulty wheels until.....

New Fanatec wheels announced then he switched sides again back on board with Fanatec. Pointing out faults with others who shared there views etc.

Precisely why you won't be able to trust his review. 👎

Thanks as I guess you can learn who your friends are on these forums rather quickly.

Lunarwolf, has the T500RS been without problems? Fanatec are indeed a smallish company in comparison and do have many areas they can further improve but what do you think sales of these new product will help them do? They are a unique brand to an extent and well they already did and are once again the pioneers setting the benchmark for console and PC wheels.

Firstly yes Im excited about the new products and I rate Fanatec highly however they are not without flaws and could improve in many ways. Im a realist, take things at face value.

I thought there are options for the T500.
I don't own them so I don't know but I thought inverting them was quite easy.

Maybe you should stick to talking about what you do know then or have experience in using.

Spagetti, have you been going around like some guy with a chip on your shoulder lately? Secondly brown nosing OMG your amazing. I could if I was bothered to look over these forums and find you posts were I often have questioned or criticised something regards Fanatec.

Most recently and Im the only one to even do this on these forums is comment on the "Handbrake" compatibility issue, twice in fact but nobody seems to want to talk about that. I also brought to peoples attention the "Adapter Cable" issue regards X360 pedals. Recommending the website and comparsion chart needed updated as was misleading. Just this week I questioned why the CSR pedals do not have ****ersunk pedal plates for all holes. So is that brown nosing as well?

Furthermore for your information I have already submitted issues/points about the upcoming products to Armin/Thomas at Fanatec that will be in the report which your not aware of and I cant comment on so please do me a favour drop the attitude.

Last edited:
At least Latte is posting based on personal experience in most cases and not just assumptions, like most of you.

If you read though the whole forum Latte is one of the trustworthy members here.

I had a Thrustmaster wheel before and recently had a Logitech G27, I have never seen from them the level of support that Fanatec is providing. As Latte mentioned, the CEO of Fanatec himself is talking to all of us to get our feedback and make the products better.

There is no perfect product out there, usually first of all comes the name(brand) and then the quality, the most important however is the customer support and Fanatec has it very well organized, same as everything in Germany.

I have to say this in defense of Thomas. When I see him post in forums it is in his spare time and not during work. Like I often notice him post between if I recall well between 5 and 7 in the morning or 7 and 9 in the evening GMT+1. So it's not like he neglects work for it like I have read above in this thread.

ilonioum
At least Latte is posting based on personal experience in most cases and not just assumptions, like most of you.

I seem to remember a certain RC45 doing the same and getting ripped for it.

Anyway I'll drop it and mention it no more. Sorry for dragging the topic off course.
My apologies.

I seem to remember a certain RC45 doing the same and getting ripped for it.

Anyway I'll drop it and mention it no more. Sorry for dragging the topic off course.
My apologies.

PM me if you want, that situation is nothing like this one.
Youve accused me of being a "brown nose" for defending a brand when someone is by all means entitled to be annoyed with a faulty product yet some comments made were just not necessary and I disagree with personally.

I feel honored to have been selected by Fanatec, thank you very much.
Certainly something I will take lots of self pride in "trying to do a good report".
To what extent, well having spent quite a lot of money on games and things including buying new CSP for the comparison all from my own pocket.

Of course all that is just the typical actions of a "brown nose" eh, certainly not someone with a personal interest in the topic of these forums or a desire to do something well to their own ability.

Really Im peeved at your comments or anyone making some forward assumption a report from me wont be trustworthy. Such comments have been noted.

Last edited:
I don't deny your desire or passion.
I don't deny what lengths you will go to achieve those aims either.

I don't deny your desire or passion.
I don't deny what lengths you will go to achieve those aims either.

Your welcome to put your evidence of my "brown nosing" on the table.
If your going to question my credibility again then do so with proof to back up your claims.

:yuck:

no CEO should be wasting their time on forums, i

This I don't agree with. It's great to see the CEO of a small company taking time out of his schedule to interact with his core customers.

What he SHOULDN'T be doing is having to look into support issues. That's what he pays his support people to do.

The fact that Thomas seems to have to do it somewhat regularly makes me question where exactly the problems are in Fanatec's company chain.

Hmm you've never questioned anyone's credibility?

You have PM and answers.

As for me or others jumping ship from one brand to another.
The fact is some of us just get excited for new products and "hope" they improve or better current ones.

It is not a crime to be judgemental on a released product yet hype brand "B" who have a new one coming and championing that brand/product with anticipation to produce the goods or something better. That is not favourtisim it is the wishes of any true hardware fan that likes to see developments and improvements to further enchance their fun or experience. On GTP their is no hiding for bad or poor products and most people here know who is genuine or true to their hobby interest and not personal or quick fame or gain.

Personally my own attitude/opinion moves to whatever products I find exciting at the time, why because these are toys for a hobby, turned obsession.

If some see me as a Fanatec fanboy then they are welcome to show the comments I have made in the past that treat their products different to other brands. However I have a LOT of respect for Thomas and what he does for the community here.

Want to attack/challenge me, then put up or shut up. I cant be more fair than that if your going to criticise or question my credibility or like the OP here join a set of forums for a moanfest ranting session.

Last edited:
I spent 100 euros on a DFGT (going on two and a half years now) and it always worked like new... probably as helpfull as the - you spent 500 dolares on a wheel and it doesnt work properly? well just get over it, it happens to other brands wheels too - post.

I feel your pain and for that price they should have a better customer service... IMO

or like the OP here join a set of forums for a moanfest ranting session.

You can't really blame the OP, after all he spent a lot of money and the product is faulty. Regardless of which brand he purchased he has the right to complain.

Personally I own both Fanatec products and Thrustmaster products. One of them is much less troublesome then the other. :)

bigsilverhotdog
Hi all, new here but figure I need to get my voice heard somewhere, since obviously Fanatec support doesn't hear it or respond to it. You'd think they would at least answer 1 email after I dropped 500 bucks on a top flight sim setup from their webshop.... :indiff:

Anyway... I picked up the CSR, CSR elite pedals, and CSR shifter set a couple weeks back (to add to my Bob Earl Racing Seat v1), and the wheel specifically has been nothing but trouble from day 1.

The wheel emits high pitched electronic whine (similar to coil whine on GPUs) most of the time (possibly all the time, I don't know because I wear headphones) and this is in PC mode, not XBOX mode (the mode everyone seems to claim is the cause of this problem). It also makes this mid-range mechanical/electronic noise that I can't describe, loudest when first turned on but still audible at any point afterwards.

It also has the firmware problem of not saving profile settings after power off. Coupled with the below problem of losing FFB and needing a reboot, I've found myself re-inputting all of my wheel settings a dozen times per day.

The wheel shakes/vibrates at very low levels at all times (every couple seconds) even when in windows (!).

The wheel frequently loses center and locks onto false centers, and repeatedly loses FFB completely (including centering) in the middle of play, needing to be power cycled to regain it (and of course when it does that it loses my saved settings too, and I have to restart the game and drop out of online play!) This happens every hour or even more frequently, and makes completing races or playing online absolutely impossible.

Lets get off the wheel for a minute and discuss the hideous ergonomics of physically adjusting the CSR Elite pedals -- an hour long job of monumental frustration (what the heck were they thinking when they designed the bolting system used for left-right pedal adjustment?) followed by another hour of trial and error adjustments because you can't physically tell how it will work until you sit down and test it. Oh, and Fanatec could have mentioned in the manual that the lowest placement possible for throw ("longest" throw, as I understand it) doesn't work for clutch or brake because clutch clips on something at around 90% depression and brake only gives you around 60% range due to the load cell not being able to reach due to the long throw. These are stupid design decisions you shouldn't see in such a pricey product... :indiff:

With all of these wheel problems I haven't bothered to touch or even open the box of the shifter yet. No idea what I will find when I do. :nervous:

At least the pedals are sturdy, very well designed overall, and mostly made of high quality materials, more than I can say for that cheap plastic rubbish Fanatec calls a premium racing wheel. And I say mostly because I noticed the geartooth input feeders for the pedals are made out of the cheapest plastic you could imagine. An odd choice considering where they are, what they are, and how important they are. It would have cost what, 25 cents to make them out of aluminum? All those high quality aluminum components and then you see that.

The wheel is pretty much the opposite though, with extremely cheap plastic everywhere and a couple of alcantara and metal bits thrown in to distract from how poorly constructed the wheel actually is, and to justify the ridiculous price. I doubt the CSR will last for even 6 months of daily simming, and since I won't be able to afford a replacement this year, that makes me extremely sad, as I am heavily addicted to rFactor (the reason I bought this rubbish in the first place). The pedals, even with the problems, were worth 150 bucks because they're solid, well built, very functional, and generally high quality. But no way in the world is that cheap plastic glitchpile of a wheel worth 250. NO WAY.

I've encountered all of these issues (and more I haven't mentioned) repeatedly in the 2 weeks I've been a Fanatec owner and, needless to say, I am not at all impressed. I go online and find no updated firmware, no response to support emails, and nobody with any answers.

Did I just waste 500 bucks? I'm seriously bummed here. :ouch:

PS: When everything works properly, I enjoy this setup a great deal. It just doesn't work properly for any reasonable period of time. The 250 dollar plastic steering wheel seriously bummed me out (as a 10-2 position driver), so I hand-wrapped the top plastic part of the wheel with gel grip tape. A great improvement, but it was stupid that I had to spend 10 more dollars to cover up those ugly plastic seams (and that one nasty sharp plastic seam joint on the left side that kept cutting my hand). Pretty much typical of my Fanatec experience so far though... so.... yeah.... sorry this was long, but I'm frustrated to my absolute limit.

Yeah I'm have same issues, and to be honest am a little disappointed with my purchase, especially after selling my g25. The worst thing is you can't even use it properly on the game it is the official wheel for! I mean a forza wheel that works better on gt5 lol!
What gets me is how on thomas' blog he says that the 'no credits bug' on fm4 is bcoz the wheel is so precise that the game thinks your cheating and entitles the piece 'csr wheels too good to be true?' lol my god, I hope he appreciates the irony in that sentence bcoz it is dripping with it!

What gets me is how on thomas' blog he says that the 'no credits bug' on fm4 is bcoz the wheel is so precise that the game thinks your cheating and entitles the piece 'csr wheels too good to be true?' lol my god, I hope he appreciates the irony in that sentence bcoz it is dripping with it!

Yeah, that's just idiotic. Where was the testing that should have easily shown this bug? Were all the testers so crappy that they couldn't run a clean race without drifting and needing opposite lock?

Or worse, was this bug actually known and both the game & wheel went out the door with the full knowledge that thousands of people would be buying the combination?

Neither of those options speak very well for the QA process.

dougdoberman
Yeah, that's just idiotic. Where was the testing that should have easily shown this bug? Were all the testers so crappy that they couldn't run a clean race without drifting and needing opposite lock?

Or worse, was this bug actually known and both the game & wheel went out the door with the full knowledge that thousands of people would be buying the combination?

Neither of those options speak very well for the QA process.

Well it does make you wonder how all these things could be missed, and it's imperative for fanatec that the wheel ships in time for forza 4's release sales wise.
So it probably is a case of 'ship it now fix it later!', which is pretty poor given the price!

Fantec made me very happy:

My 1 year and 11 months old PWTS had a problem. I made a video, which cleary showed the problem.

Within 2 days i got a reply that my PWTS was unrepairable. They offered me a new GT2 as a replacement. I mailed back that i rather had a CSR, which they send to me the same day 👍👍

I didn't even have to send in my PWTS.:)

I realy, realy loved the CSR i got the same week.

No i have sold that CSR and i'm definitly buying a CSR Elite and probably a CSW next year.

If can choose between:
A: having a new CSR Elite next month with a few faws (that can be fixed later in a firmwareupdate)
B: or wait untill jan/feb 2012 for wheel that's perfect

I would go for option A anytime

Last edited:
Back