• Only DLC Tracks

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Only DLC Cars

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No DLC

Votes: 22 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But to me there is no reason for the change of tire compound. Boost will catch you back up and if you want to out last someone that is on softs while you are on hards, well to bad because boost will catch them back up to you.

The last race at Cape ring, Dangerzone had more pit stops than anyone and he still ran up front and won a race. Do you think he would have won if boost was off and he did that?

I would just like to race one of the races with boost off so you can use STRATEGY instead of waiting on the game to catch you back up. The guys that like to race with no boost and use strategy could race in the first race. Then in the second race we could turn boost on and carry on.

Agreed, strategy play a much smaller role with boost. But last time I raced, me and someone else (Vail?) had fresher tires at the end and were able to pick up spots on the final laps.

Just voicing my opinion. I'm not a decision maker in S.P.E.C., smarter people than me doing that 👍

Agreed, strategy play a much smaller role with boost. But last time I raced, me and someone else (Vail?) had fresher tires at the end and were able to pick up spots on the final laps.

Just voicing my opinion. I'm not a decision maker in S.P.E.C., smarter people than me doing that 👍

Now Kcheeb we all know that you are in the top % of the smartness..:lol:

I will agree you and Vail past me on the last lap or two. BUT would you have caught and passed me if boost wasn't on? Awha.. Now let the light bulb burn some wattage.

I will agree you and Vail past me on the last lap or two. BUT would you have caught and passed me if boost wasn't on? Awha.. Now let the light bulb burn some wattage.

Nope, the last I would have seen you was after turn 2 or 3 of the first lap :lol:

But to me that's the beauty of low boost, I can rub elbows with some really good racers. Is it 'real' racing, nope. Is it fun? Oh Yeah!

I know the fast guys don't like it much because their skills are marginalized. All I'm saying is I get a chance to race next to a lot of drivers for a long time, that to me is fun. Win, lose or draw.

:cheers:

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to try the boost/no boost idea. But I'd like the races to be a little closer in length.

In the compounds defense there is slight strategy.

In the end if you have hards on , yeah you'll still gain on the field. But you can't do anything once you're up to the pack. Like kcheeb said boost will gt you up there but you still have to go get it. I know I'm not the best racer in here but to me the boost is good. But the people we lost with boost on, has been returned with boost. It's equal. Now what I'm saying might not be important because I'm missing this season, but to me there is still some strategy in tires. If you don't think there is, put hards on the last pit stop, softs are still overall better. And B. as much as I like boost in both races, maybe turning it off in race 1 makes everyone happy. The non boost guys will race, and the boost guys get 2nd race. Just my opinion

I will agree with what everyone is saying about boost. It does make for great races and finishes. And I'm not asking to abandon it. In a 50 lap race a racer can pit 5 times vs. another racer pitting 3 times and still win the race. With boost off we know that the guy that pitted 5 times would probably not even make it back to the leaders.

When we ran races with boost off it really made you think where and how you were going to pit and use your hards. Some guys would start off with them. Some would change in the middle of the race and some waited till the end. With boost on you can run a couple of laps with the hards change back to softs and catch right back up.

I would just like to run one race the old style with a bit of thinking about how you were going to pit and run the race. Then we could run the main event with boost on for a close tight battle.
With a bit of strategy sometimes the turtle can bet the rabbit.

Good day all!
Will someone please bring some candles and a fire extinguisher tonight? It's Toms birthday and I've already picked up the cake!
( point and lap update please)

Last edited:
Happy birthday tcrash! :cheers:

Regarding the current discussion on boost, I see both sides of the argument. Boost definitely creates tighter racing and prevents extensive hot-lapping, but it also de-emphasizes strategy and takes some of the "sim" out of sim racing. As I mentioned last week, I have an idea that I think might sufficiently keep the field together without the need for boost. If enough people thinks it's worth a shot, maybe we can test it out after the season or during a bye-week. Here's the idea:

When race details are announced, specific lap numbers are designated as caution laps. For example, if a race was 60 laps, we could designate lap numbers 20 and 40 as caution laps. During those two caution laps, the leader is required to slow down to a predetermined mph so that the field can bunch up (same effect that caution flags have in RL). All the other cars can go as fast as they want during the caution lap as long as they don't gain any positions. In other words, no passing! (just like in RL)

Also just as in RL racing, the pit road would be closed when the caution flag comes out. Therefore, no pit stops would be allowed during the designated caution laps. This would help ensure that pit strategy and tire management remain major factor in the race's outcome (as opposed to everyone just pitting on the designated caution laps 👎). In order to reward drivers during the course of the race, championship points could be rewarded at each caution lap interval based on the order of the grid during the caution lap. However, the vast majority of the points would be awarded based on the final results.

Anyways, there you have it. I've had that format in the back of my mind for a while now, so I figured I better speak now or forever hold my peace. :) Feel free to rip it to shreds if you don't like it as I'm sure there are weaknesses in the format that I haven't even considered. However, it's just a humble attempt to find a "best of both worlds" approach that I think is worth trying at least once. And although I learned long ago that you can't always please everyone, I constantly find myself trying to do exactly that. :lol:

Last edited:
Good day all!
Will someone please bring some candles and a fire extinguisher tonight? It's Toms birthday and I've already picked up the cake!

Running lap times of 1.23's.
105/1.23=85

With the boost and break periods. I would run about 70 to 75 laps..

I like the idea Zer05ive has. I would like to run a practice race if some of the other guys want to try it.
We could run a 36 lap race with a cation at laps 12 & 24. Doesn't matter what day or time to me.

Good day all!

At my age, you better bring a fire truck!:lol:

Happy birthday tcrash! :cheers:

Regarding the current discussion on boost, I see both sides of the argument. Boost definitely creates tighter racing and prevents extensive hot-lapping, but it also de-emphasizes strategy and takes some of the "sim" out of sim racing. As I mentioned last week, I have an idea that I think might sufficiently keep the field together without the need for boost. If enough people thinks it's worth a shot, maybe we can test it out after the season or during a bye-week. Here's the idea:

When race details are announced, specific lap numbers are designated as caution laps. For example, if a race was 60 laps, we could designate lap numbers 20 and 40 as caution laps. During those two caution laps, the leader is required to slow down to a predetermined mph so that the field can bunch (same effect that caution flags have in RL). All the other cars can go as fast as they want during the caution lap as long as they don't gain any positions. In other words, no passing! (just like in RL)

Also just as in RL racing, the pit road would be closed when the caution flag comes out. Therefore, no pit stops would be allowed during the designated caution laps. This would help keep pit strategy and tire management a major factor in the race outcome (as opposed to everyone just pitting on the designated caution laps 👎). In order to reward drivers during the course of the race, championship points could be rewarded at each caution lap interval based on the order of the grid during the caution lap. However, the vast majority of the points would be awarded based on the final results.

Anyways, there you have it. I've had that format in the back of my mind for a while now, so I figured I better speak now or forever hold my peace. :) Feel free to rip it to shreds if you don't like it as I'm sure there are weaknesses in the format that I haven't even thought about yet (most likely regarding pit strategy). However, it's just my humble attempt to find a "best of both worlds" approach that I think is worth trying at least once. And although I learned long ago that you can't always please everyone, I constantly find myself trying to exactly that. :dunce:

Thanks for the birthday wish!:)

I think both yours and kendawg's ideas are pretty good and I don't plan on ripping on them but I will voice my opinion on the subject. I am also not closed minded and be willing to test both ideas to be fair.

First, we've been averaging 8 racers per Sat, consistently, and I think that's pretty good, especially for a Sat. night. Do we want a full room, of course but we have to be realistic, it's Sat. night:sly:
I think we're concentrating on the wrong thing.

What we need to concentrate on is close racing for ALL, first and foremost!

The reason why we have 5 divisions in Snail is that we want to keep racers that have the same skill level together so there is close racing, correct? Well how do you accomplish that when you have a mix of all divisions racing here in SPEC? Boost seems like the solution for that. It brings everyone at all skill levels together, which in turn creates close racing which creates more fun.
I don't find it fun driving around alone for two hours and I don't blame any racer that bails because there is no way to catch up to the leaders and challenge. That was the issue in past seasons. So we decide to turn boost on and now we don't have anyone bailing out of the race or just parking. Reason; because now EVERYONE has a chance to win! If you make a mistake you have that chance to catch up, if there's enough laps to do so but you still have that chance. Boost helps you catch up to the leaders, it does not help you pass the leaders. Unless you have a good pit strategy, like AJKVail and kcheeb did last week at Cape Ring, 1st and 2nd respectively. Yes, they caught up to the leaders because of boost but they passed the leaders because they were on fresher tires because they had a better pit strategy.
In that regard, I don't agree that there is no pit strategy or de-emphasizes strategy with boost on.

As for zer0's idea for caution laps, it is a good idea which will bring everyone back together but what about 6-7 laps when racing resumes and the better skilled racers pull away, again and leave you in the dust to race alone, again?
Well, it's back to just driving around while the guys up front are having fun and your far from it.

SPEC is for everyone. D1-D5. Boost helps bring them together. To know that you can come into race Spec on a Sat. night and be competitive with everybody, is a good thing. To know that there's going to be close racing, no matter what division you in, is a positive thing. To know that you are going to have close racing with a racer that is better than you and be able to possibly pick up some pointers by racing with them, that's a productive thing.

Boost will help you catch up to the leaders but if you are not consistent, boost is not going to help much. Boost doesn't keep your car on the track or minimalize your mistakes. You have to do that on your own.

So, for those reasons, I think boost should stay on. We have to think of the main goal, for everyone to have a night of close racing and that leads to having fun.:)👍

It's all open for discussion. That's what makes S.N.A.I.L. awesome:)👍

Running lap times of 1.23's.
105/1.23=85

With the boost and break periods. I would run about 70 to 75 laps..

Thanks again, kendawg!👍

I don't think boost effects how many laps we run because it's seconds (few) rather than minutes. And remember there's only one 5 minute break. But 70 laps sounds good!👍

what track is being raced tonight?

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is the track for this evening and we will be racing a total of 70 Laps.

How about we do half the laps in Round one, take a 5 minute break and do the other half of the laps? So it would be:

Round 1 - 35 Laps

Round 2 - 35 Laps

We'd love for you to join use Wolfsatz

Happy Birthday you old fart... That would be tcrash :lol::cheers:

The reason I knocked the laps down is because I've noticed when your out front that the times you run are not the same as qualifying. The reason we were running over last week.

Hope that you had lots of adult bevs for your birthday before tonights race..

Happy Birthday you old fart... That would be tcrash :lol::cheers:

The reason I knocked the laps down is because I've noticed when your out front that the times you run are not the same as qualifying. The reason we were running over last week.

Hope that you had lots of adult bevs for your birthday before tonights race..

Happy Birthday tcrash 👍

Take kendawgs advice and hoist a few before tonights races :cheers:

Thanks guys! I don't drink but be assured, I have a greenthumb! No pun intended!:lol:

Last edited:
Hey, fun night again, thanks all.

And sorry about all the bumps from behind and semi ducking underneath some of you. Seemed to have some real problems with brake points tonight :scared:

See you all next week!

And sorry about all the bumps from behind and semi ducking underneath some of you. Seemed to have some real problems with brake points tonight :scared:

See you all next week!

kcheeb, your good! We all know how you race so no need for any apologies, what so ever:)👍

Congrats to kendawg for the Hat-Trick tonight:tup: Great job!

Tonight was an awesome night of racing! Started the 1st race with 11 racers:tup: Second race we had 14 racers. Two weeks in a row with almost a full room. Thanks everyone!

Also want to thank hooker4 for joining us in the 2nd race. Hope to see you next Saturday. Get your car broken in and you'll be right up there with everyone.:) It's a good group of guys and you will have fun, trust me!

See you all next week!

The Braking Was Kinda Strange For Those Races. I'll Have Some picks Up Later Tonight.

Last edited:
Great racing everyone last night! That was a ton of fun having an almost full grid for both races. I'll also say that the braking points felt a little unusual. I also got a penalty coming out of my last stop in the second race. As many times I've raced there I've never had that happen. Thank you all for coming out last night!

P.S. I did manage to get all the points updated!

Latest Posts

Back