◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,627 comments
Well, I have known quite a few people that race with SNAIL over the past 4 to 5 years. I understand my PSN does not match up with my GTP screenname, but after a quick entry to a lobby where I was quickly discarded I am beside myself on this.

It was with no explanation, even after a fellow SNAIL that has known me from past series said hello. I just got booted with no explanation on top of the "your not welcomed here".

I am besides myself right now. Knowing that this community is growing and could always need new blood to throw in with whatever. I understand it is a league night. In a league night I understand points matter also, but to be pushed to the side like I just was with no communication over 'this is a league Going message' or 'this is a weekly private event' had really deterred me.

I will keep with Jakedog and his SNAIL GT1 league, but I am put off from the rest of what happens here. A total shame because I have a few friends that do race in this community and would have loved to join it.

I think just about everything (including quite a bit of the SNAIL hospitality) has been covered. Here is what I don't understand. If you are familiar with our League and our practices, how on earth could you be "beside yourself" with so much grief? There are only 2 maybe 3 individuals that would warrant a complete interruption of a League night. If you knew it was a League race and you were not an active member, why on earth are you making such a fuss over it?

(Sorry... Just have strong ties with this group)

I think just about everything (including quite a bit of the SNAIL hospitality) has been covered. Here is what I don't understand. If you are familiar with our League and our practices, how on earth could you be "beside yourself" with so much grief? There are only 2 maybe 3 individuals that would warrant a complete interruption of a League night. If you knew it was a League race and you were not an active member, why on earth are you making such a fuss over it?

(Sorry... Just have strong ties with this group)

This is very legitimate actually, I am familiar with the league. The league practices however I am not. I unfortunately made a mountain over a mole hill here. I understand the ties trust me.

However, I did not realize until looking into the Leagues threads did I realize it was in fact a League night. Over the past few years I have had many people that race within the series I have participated in ask me to join and run with the group.

Remember like I said, a mountain from a mole hill here. I joined a room and saw what everyone was running. I realized that I should acclimate my choices of car/tires/driving aids to conform with what was being used. There was also no "Division Name" or anything that tipped me off to the room being an actual League Night.

That was my fault. There was a break in communication over this fact which ultimately led to me posting about it. Simple communication over "hey we are running league tonight" or "tonight if you want to join check out GTP and fulfill the requirements" was not explained, directed, nor even stated.

Again Mountain over a Mole Hill here. I have noticed that this group has been trying to expand and introduce themselves to a community that it wants to get involved with. I saw an opportunity and tried to join and was kicked.

I however did not point fingers at who or what lobby and will not; I am not looking to punish any over this. I tried to just give a heads up on what a random person ran into tonight that had a little more knowledge about the group then most that play the game.

As for making a fuss about it, then I could have made a huge ordeal about it, but that gets us no where. All I intended to do was give those a glimpse of what an outsider wanting to come inside dealt with.

I am truly sorry that my post was a "fuss". That was not my intention at all. Nor was it meant to be, this is the part of forums and forum text that sucks. You do not hear voice or emotion behind any words. My post was not meant to be taken in a agresive fashion, it was not suppose to be taken as a negative statement either. It was posted because for the first time since GT6 I actually had a chance when I could run with you and everyone part of this community. I was looking forward to it.

There was also no "Division Name" or anything that tipped me off to the room being an actual League Night.

All rooms run the same naming convention of "SANILracing D# R# R#" as there isn't much room for a longer room title. The way it is now means a lot to us, but an outsider may not understand what it says, so now I am curious what could be different to help specify it is a league night.

I know we specify race and round number for replay label long but you can tell which is which when seeing them in the list. They'll be in order of date and the two together you know are races 1 and 2. Maybe write the full word "division"?

D2 Data in the books.

2017-11-19 D2.png

This is very legitimate actually, I am familiar with the league. The league practices however I am not. I unfortunately made a mountain over a mole hill here. I understand the ties trust me.

However, I did not realize until looking into the Leagues threads did I realize it was in fact a League night. Over the past few years I have had many people that race within the series I have participated in ask me to join and run with the group.

Remember like I said, a mountain from a mole hill here. I joined a room and saw what everyone was running. I realized that I should acclimate my choices of car/tires/driving aids to conform with what was being used. There was also no "Division Name" or anything that tipped me off to the room being an actual League Night.

That was my fault. There was a break in communication over this fact which ultimately led to me posting about it. Simple communication over "hey we are running league tonight" or "tonight if you want to join check out GTP and fulfill the requirements" was not explained, directed, nor even stated.

Again Mountain over a Mole Hill here. I have noticed that this group has been trying to expand and introduce themselves to a community that it wants to get involved with. I saw an opportunity and tried to join and was kicked.

I however did not point fingers at who or what lobby and will not; I am not looking to punish any over this. I tried to just give a heads up on what a random person ran into tonight that had a little more knowledge about the group then most that play the game.

As for making a fuss about it, then I could have made a huge ordeal about it, but that gets us no where. All I intended to do was give those a glimpse of what an outsider wanting to come inside dealt with.

I am truly sorry that my post was a "fuss". That was not my intention at all. Nor was it meant to be, this is the part of forums and forum text that sucks. You do not hear voice or emotion behind any words. My post was not meant to be taken in a agresive fashion, it was not suppose to be taken as a negative statement either. It was posted because for the first time since GT6 I actually had a chance when I could run with you and everyone part of this community. I was looking forward to it.
You seem to be missing a bigger picture, and that would be "I want to join snail" and then A) you won't get kicked from your division lobby and B) you will be joining the best online racing league

(A) That was my fault. There was a break in communication over this fact which ultimately led to me posting about it. Simple communication over "hey we are running league tonight" or "tonight if you want to join check out GTP and fulfill the requirements" was not explained, directed, nor even stated.

(B) Again Mountain over a Mole Hill here. I have noticed that this group has been trying to expand and introduce themselves to a community that it wants to get involved with. I saw an opportunity and tried to join and was kicked.
A. No worries. I got a feeling hosts will be getting some instruction now on handling the situation. Especially since you can save text and macro it out.

B. [Braggart form activate] I dont mean to toot our own horn (yes I do) but, we are the community to be involved with... we have been running since gt5 and have the highest active member count of just about any GT racing league out there. We have been firmly planted in the GTP community (the largest GT forum) our whole existence and i believe the only league with our own subforum. We are the stomping grounds of GT Academy semi finalists and finalists. WE ARE S.N.A.I.L. Hear us, errr, mollusk! [/Braggart form]

Do you think doing a live broadcast is messing with the rooms? Last night everyone looked jumpy. I want to stream my races but I'd hate to risk lagging the room.

@MSgtGunny When I was on PS3 with the Turtle Beach PX22 they have an AUX input that I could plug in my phone and play music directly into people's headphones. Could be fun on practice night :D

@MSgtGunny When I was on PS3 with the Turtle Beach PX22 they have an AUX input that I could plug in my phone and play music directly into people's headphones. Could be fun on practice night :D
In the past I would give the winners a song at the end of a night. I have my streaming mixer hooked up directly to my ps4 so I can send High Fidelity audio to the party chat (so it actually sounds good and not the crappy music through a persons mic thing).

Do you think doing a live broadcast is messing with the rooms? Last night everyone looked jumpy. I want to stream my races but I'd hate to risk lagging the room.
If you are the mesh host there is a chance it could mess up a room if you have a slow isp connection. Something like 10 up and 10 down i definitely wouldnt recommend streaming. By default the mesh host should be the one with the best connection on the mesh, but who knows how GTS prioritizes this. If your not, then you will want too have high upload speeds. Again, over 10Mbps at least.

I'm not hosting and have a pretty good connection. I'll test it on PS4 right now. Download speed is 57.9, upload is ew.... only 5. That's really weird.

Here is a highlight video of the final 2 laps of Division 4's R3R2 race for 2nd place between myself, @Kgffy, and @soundtiger95.

Spoiler: kgffy wins out the 2nd place spot at very end.
Enjoy.

2nd place? the question is where is 1st place? :dopey:

Would've been there as well if it wasn't for taking last turn too slow and spinning my self around :banghead::irked::indiff::yuck::grumpy::banghead:
I usually take that turn very well, but decided to take it 'safely' instead of on the verge of losing it... Pony does not like to go slow!

I'm not hosting and have a pretty good connection. I'll test it on PS4 right now. Download speed is 57.9, upload is ew.... only 5. That's really weird.

Not weird at all. High download/low upload is normal for a typical coax based internet connection. Generally the only way to achieve symmetrical speeds (50 x 50, 100 x 100) is to have fiber to the home. The mismatched speeds are based on available bandwidth on the provider side. Almost all systems allocate more downstream channels and only have a small amount on upstream channels. (My system has 16 down and only 3 up) and we are maxed out at 150 x 10. It is set up this way because the rest of the spectrum is carrying other data like video programming, Video on Demand, Pay per view content and a few other things and space is at a premium.

I was thinking of something else as well. We are always trying to do everything we can to make sure our connections are the best they can be. (Hard wire connections, clearing caches, minimizing or eliminating anything else on our networks that compete for bandwidth.) This may sound odd, but checking and tightening all of the coax connections in your house is something that we all need to do. Not just at the modem. Every single connection (including that janky TV in the garage). A loose connection anywhere in your coax network will have a negative effect on your internet performance. Anything that has an F connector should be tight, including splitters, wall plates and at the demarc on the side of your house. A single connection that is backed off even a quarter of a turn can have an effect on your internet . I can get more in depth on this if anyone is interested...

I watched a track guide for that track and he said for hot laps he usually goes down to 2nd for the last turn but in races he'll use 3rd and stay smooth. Keep momentum up.

If you are the mesh host there is a chance it could mess up a room if you have a slow isp connection. Something like 10 up and 10 down i definitely wouldnt recommend streaming. By default the mesh host should be the one with the best connection on the mesh, but who knows how GTS prioritizes this. If your not, then you will want too have high upload speeds. Again, over 10Mbps at least.

Can you elaborate on why a mesh host needs the best connection? I am assuming by best, you mean high up/down bandwidth. As I understand it, a fixed host needs an incredible up/down connection, but a mesh host just needs a stable connection.

All rooms run the same naming convention of "SANILracing D# R# R#" as there isn't much room for a longer room title. The way it is now means a lot to us, but an outsider may not understand what it says, so now I am curious what could be different to help specify it is a league night.

How about SNAIL ONLY D1R1R1 for example is 17 characters (including blanks) this could / should make an entering competitor "get it" a little more. Then adding a nice saved explanation of race night and all like wolf suggested should make it plain to understand for a non member without setting them off.

How about SNAIL ONLY D1R1R1 for example is 17 characters (including blanks) this could / should make an entering competitor "get it" a little more. Then adding a nice saved explanation of race night and all like wolf suggested should make it plain to understand for a non member without setting them off.
Very good suggestion. Those that still enter might not make good Snails. We expect them to read quite a few pages of OLR... if they can't read a room title then...uhmmm not so sure

Back