◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,626 comments
Honestly who cares about shifting this topic has come and gone at least 4 or 5 times just this year it is getting old. So you are arguing that you can't no lift shift have never drove a 82 pick up truck....i had a old pick up and i hardly ever used the clutch to go up through the gears yes i was bad and slammed a gear or two...guess what it never broke anything in the trans...due to a fault with the self adjusting clutch pedal and it would keep breaking the clutch pedal on me....Seriously people it is starting to get old next time someone brings up the shifter topic i am gonna refer them to do a little bit of reading and they will find out why it cannot be policed...Rant over

That's actually the most spot on comment I've read in a while that I didn't write.:cheers:

The above should be read with tongue firmly planted in cheek. For those that don't understand what that means. It's a joke people. Contrary to popular opinion, I do have a sense of humor.
I believe you've just proven them all right. :D

How much faster is using a H shifter Vs paddle Vs ds4 given equal talent and not abusing a broken mechanic? I'm a ds4 pleb so I just pound buttons and have fun.

This is an example of a car that doesn't even have all that much shift lag - there are much better examples out there this is just what I could find.
Note, SRC is to my knowledge the only car on that grid that was using a shifter - I have no way of knowing exactly if he is doing the turbo shift or not - my guess is he was.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples I can find of drivers starting from last/second last/third last etc and being in the top 3 before turn 1 in a 10+ car grid.

Last edited:
Honestly who cares about shifting this topic has come and gone at least 4 or 5 times just this year it is getting old. So you are arguing that you can't no lift shift have never drove a 82 pick up truck....i had a old pick up and i hardly ever used the clutch to go up through the gears yes i was bad and slammed a gear or two...guess what it never broke anything in the trans...due to a fault with the self adjusting clutch pedal and it would keep breaking the clutch pedal on me....Seriously people it is starting to get old next time someone brings up the shifter topic i am gonna refer them to do a little bit of reading and they will find out why it cannot be policed...Rant over
I drove my cousins F100 with a three on the tree, but cool projecting. Also you can float gears in AC without the clutch and if you misjudge the revmatch it'll damage the trans just like IRL. Neither of those things have anything to do with GTS having the worst clutch/gearbox interface of the big 3 sims available on PS4 though. The point you completely missed is "why can't PD do better than the much greener competition", not once did I mention regulation of the shifter itself.

Top of the 6th. the Tigers and Royals are tied at 3 in the Tigers home opener.
Go big blue!

I drove my cousins F100 with a three on the tree, but cool projecting. Also you can float gears in AC without the clutch and if you misjudge the revmatch it'll damage the trans just like IRL. Neither of those things have anything to do with GTS having the worst clutch/gearbox interface of the big 3 sims available on PS4 though. The point you completely missed is "why can't PD do better than the much greener competition", not once did I mention regulation of the shifter itself.

Go big blue!

I agree I went on a rant about nothing but there is many thing that PD could do better....the real driving sim is a very loosely used marketing tool...they could incorporate so much more I'm the game but I'm not gonna get into it I completely agree its BS...I just dont know why every couple weeks we have to have this conversation

This is an example of a car that doesn't even have all that much shift lag - there are much better examples out there this is just what I could find.
Note, SRC is to my knowledge the only car on that grid that was using a shifter - I have no way of knowing exactly if he is doing the turbo shift or not - my guess is he was.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples I can find of drivers starting from last/second last/third last etc and being in the top 3 before turn 1 in a 10+ car grid.

Wow that's crazy, I had no idea. I really like that our prize system can in a way negate this. The 100pt scoring and 1 prize a month do quite a bit to make sure things even out over time.

I agree I went on a rant about nothing but there is many thing that PD could do better....the real driving sim is a very loosely used marketing tool...they could incorporate so much more I'm the game but I'm not gonna get into it I completely agree its BS...I just dont know why every couple weeks we have to have this conversation
There's legitimate reason to complain about broken/poorly implemented physics. But to just come to say you won't race because people have better hardware is silly.

I find it humorously convenient you pick out a months old stream before Chris got a shifter to solely call me out. There are 4 other D1 drivers that I can think of off the top of my head that use the shifter too, and some of them only use the glitch shift at the start and then for only one gear the whole race instead of risking missing a gear and costing themselves time or even a position... which has happened to me multiple times. Maybe next time show some tact and/or class and don't try to single someone out when half a dozen people in that division use it and can be argued abuse it more. Also, unlike you I'm not going to name names here on the main thread because nothing good can come of that.

Wow that's crazy, I had no idea. I really like that our prize system can in a way negate this. The 100pt scoring and 1 prize a month do quite a bit to make sure things even out over time.

Not sure I follow how our point system has anything to do with this.
Passing is difficult, the shifter advantage makes passing very easy as you get up to speed much faster so you just pass non shifters on straights.
Or you just pass them at the start.

With at least 5 people using a shifter in D1, it means that if you don't have a shifter you've essentially eliminated yourself from possibly winning because you'll have to be significantly better at the non-shifter combo's.

Just logged on and catching up on, uh, a few posts about shifting.

I'd wanted to offer a road car option but stupidly spent time testing 2 of 4 cars from the mileage exchange and not the brand lobby. I kinda figured the McLaren would get picked over the Tesla. Cest la vie. Thanks to all who voted!

@JLBowler @Rednose58

Final Prize B Selection:
@ Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya Grand Prix - 16:30 Clear
McLaren 650S GT3 '15
506hp, 2734lb
RH tires
450,000 Cr
1:48.5 after a few laps

I find it humorously convenient you pick out a months old stream before Chris got a shifter to solely call me out. There are 4 other D1 drivers that I can think of off the top of my head that use the shifter too, and some of them only use the glitch shift at the start and then for only one gear the whole race instead of risking missing a gear and costing themselves time or even a position... which has happened to me multiple times. Maybe next time show some tact and/or class and don't try to single someone out when half a dozen people in that division use it and can be argued abuse it more. Also, unlike you I'm not going to name names here on the main thread because nothing good can come of that.

He asked for an example of what kind of advantage the shifter gave to drivers using it and I honestly just tried to find one without spending 30 minutes looking for an example that wouldn't hurt your feelings.

Yes there are plenty of other people in D1 today who have a shifter, most of them bought one because they were being left behind without it - there were also some advantages to be had in FIA and sport mode races with a shifter so that could've also played a role.

I honestly just picked the first replay I could find that gave a clear example of the topic at hand, if you think I purposely picked a replay featuring just you so I could "call you out" you are being egotistical.
The example was just that - and I even identified that I have no way of knowing if you were shifting legitimately, or turbo shifting.

What I don't get is why you're so offended by people shedding some light on this. It's not like you can claim ignorance - there are plenty of examples to pick from, I didn't just happen to stumble across the only time you ever had a large advantage at the start of a race due to the shifter.

I just meant that since you cant really take people's shifters away (I realize snail could ban them but that just opens so many other issues) and PD does an awful job of balancing the 3 methods, the scoring system and prize system allow for all types of setups to win and pick prizes. It can't fix the racing that's up to PD.

Well when I logged a while ago now, I was just looking to see if heri picked a combo yet, but I see I missed the shifter debate.....again! Really guys, C'mon man!
It really doesn't matter if some have shifters or not. I see guys like Sam and Nuetty, who have shifters now and they are FAST!.......Oh wait, they were fast before they had shifters too!
So do those of us who run wheels and pedals have an advantage over the guys running plain old PS4 controllers?
Maybe we should just all have to run controllers, with auto transmissions and heck let's throw in all assists to make perfectly fair for all, that'll be some action packed, edge of seat, type of racing.....NOT!
As soon as I can get a shifter, I will, and until then I will enjoy the great competition and sportsmanship that I have been since I joined, and that's available to everyone at Snail, regardless of division, or equipment!
Let's get over it, and end it.

And now, not shifting.

I am an amateur bike racer. Doping is not in my profile but it has forever tarnished the sport. And now 50/60+ year olds are getting busted with batteries/motors hidden in their frames for amateur races. Seriously. I don't care about winning. I ride and race to get a bit stronger as compared to _me_ yesterday and last year. I joined Snail for the same reason.

Sure I get a buzz after a win or a good season. But my goal from the outset has been to become a better driver. Podiums and division placement are an indicator, but they aren't the only ones and perhaps are the least important. Did I attack smartly? Did I defend wisely? Can I stay close without punting someone else off track? Did I get the best start off the line possible or did I give too much gas and spin out? Did I concede track position for contact or error? Did I report myself for wrongdoing?

A few months ago I drove badly in some daily races and was back in the B/A races. Holy smokes. I'd forgotten how ugly those could be.

Doping. Motors. Shifters. Brake balance*. Whatever. It's all as old as Cain and Abel.

I'll still take the Snail races everyday over the alternatives for clean, fun racing with some really cool people.

Edit: added brake balance. I did use balance my first 4-6 weeks in snail because it wasn't clear. The edited OLR is inclusive even if it's not explicit.

Last edited:
I'm in the process to upgrade my equipment too, BUT, not necessarily for winning as much as for experience. A while ago I decided to drive in Cockpit view, no matter what. A few cars are a bit difficult because of the A-Pillar size and no matter how much you move your head, you can't see around the pillar....:mischievous:. The Scirocco was particularly bad at Autopolis at the off camber left hander where the long circuit splits off from the short circuit. I tried bumper cam for a while, but it screwed up my brake points for the rest of the track. So, braking point is important, but with cockpit view your turn-in point is sometimes critical. I guess you learn as you go and get better the more you practice.

Currently I have a G27 shifter connected to my G29 wheel. It is not a great setup and you miss a lot of gears. Once I have a better shifter, my plan is to drive the cars according to the their "real world specs" (Flappy paddles, sequential, H-Pattern). I know I will need a lot of practice because with flappy paddles and left foot braking, my hand and foot coordination will need new motion memory. Up-shifting will of course not be the issue. The issue will be with down shifting with heel-toe braking. With flappy pedals and left foot braking the punishment for bad downshifting is not as severe as when you screw up manual/heel/toe down shifting.

So, in a few months when I finally get my stuff, I might drop down the divisions and then work my way up again as I get used to my new way. Hopefully PD update the manual/paddle shift to be faster. Who did they use in the first place to determine the speed of a manual gearbox shift. Kamakazi's grandmother?

I too have ended up largely where Rednose seems to be. Upgrading to higher quality equipment because I love the driving experience (and because I spend a lot of time on it). When I first started sim racing, it was GT6, G27, paddles and bumper view. That was plenty for me to handle. I have to admit that I used the driving line for a long time in GT6. I was truly a neophyte to car racing circa 2013. It took me years to be comfortable racing. Currently, I’m spoiled by my fellow D2 competitors. Everyone is so good that bumper to bumper racing is just how it is, and for the most part, there are few surprises.
Through this sojourn, my taste has been gravitating toward realism. Hence the change from 1) bumper view to cockpit view, 2) Logitech to Fanatec, 3) paddle shifting to manual shifting [when possible]. The manual shifting is my own version where I start with left foot braking and then during braking, switch to right foot on brakes so left foot can clutch to shift to appropriate gear).

#AtTheRiskofSnobbery I get bummed a bit when I hear so many of you on DS4 [shoe-string budgets] because I expect you love driving/racing just as much as me. I understand there are life restrictions for one reason or another but I expect that you’d get so much more out of driving that you’d never go back once you try a wheel (and/or better equipment).

As far as personal integrity and accountability topic - by and large we are at the mercy of the chosen platform/sim software. SNAIL rules won’t stop our cultural tolerance and or entitlement thinking for believing rules are meant to be bent! (#KickTheHornetNest)

Well when I logged a while ago now, I was just looking to see if heri picked a combo yet, but I see I missed the shifter debate.....again! Really guys, C'mon man!
It really doesn't matter if some have shifters or not. I see guys like Sam and Nuetty, who have shifters now and they are FAST!.......Oh wait, they were fast before they had shifters too!
So do those of us who run wheels and pedals have an advantage over the guys running plain old PS4 controllers?
Maybe we should just all have to run controllers, with auto transmissions and heck let's throw in all assists to make perfectly fair for all, that'll be some action packed, edge of seat, type of racing.....NOT!
As soon as I can get a shifter, I will, and until then I will enjoy the great competition and sportsmanship that I have been since I joined, and that's available to everyone at Snail, regardless of division, or equipment!
Let's get over it, and end it.
I think everyone would like to end the debate, unfortunately I doubt that will happen without an amendment to the rules. My whole point was that if the rule can't be enforced, the only thing it can do is cause controversy. If using shifters is an accepted practice, then make it an officially accepted practice. The same goes with brake balance. The way the rules are currently written it's not immediately clear that adjusting brake balance is even forbidden. When I read that section of the OLR the first time the only thing that came to mind as far as "other settings" was the stuff on settings sheet (which does include brake balance). Because brakes can be adjusted from the cockpit, and is not excluded by forbidding tuning in the lobby settings, it can easily be overlooked as something to avoid doing. At the very least brake balance should be pointed out explicitly as being a forbidden adjustment; though it would continue to be an unenforceable rule due to the currently available lobby settings. I for one didn't realize brake adjustments were a no no until @Bologna_Duc mentioned it a few days ago.
As far as integrity and following the rules to the letter no matter what goes, I believe I can destroy that argument with a little name dropping. Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, John Hancock... the list goes on and on.

Last edited:
Sunday, April 7, 2019 Lineup
April 2019 Season - League Night #1

1. MCLAREN 650S GT3 2015 on RH Tires @ Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya Grand Prix - 16:30 Clear - (6 Laps)
2. CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7 GR.3 on RH Tires @ Fuji International Speedway (Short) - 06:15 Clear - (7 Laps)
3. MAZDA 787B 1991 on RM Tires @ Autodromo Nazionale Monza - 15:00 Cloudy - (7 Laps)

1. MCLAREN 650S GT3 2015 on RH Tires @ Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya Grand Prix - 16:30 Clear - (6 Laps)
2. CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7 GR.3 on RH Tires @ Fuji International Speedway (Short) - 06:15 Clear - (7 Laps)
3. MAZDA 787B 1991 on RM Tires @ Autodromo Nazionale Monza - 15:00 Cloudy - (7 Laps)
Wow, great combos to open the April season with.

I too have ended up largely where Rednose seems to be. Upgrading to higher quality equipment because I love the driving experience (and because I spend a lot of time on it). When I first started sim racing, it was GT6, G27, paddles and bumper view. That was plenty for me to handle. I have to admit that I used the driving line for a long time in GT6. I was truly a neophyte to car racing circa 2013. It took me years to be comfortable racing. Currently, I’m spoiled by my fellow D2 competitors. Everyone is so good that bumper to bumper racing is just how it is, and for the most part, there are few surprises.
Through this sojourn, my taste has been gravitating toward realism. Hence the change from 1) bumper view to cockpit view, 2) Logitech to Fanatec, 3) paddle shifting to manual shifting [when possible]. The manual shifting is my own version where I start with left foot braking and then during braking, switch to right foot on brakes so left foot can clutch to shift to appropriate gear).

#AtTheRiskofSnobbery I get bummed a bit when I hear so many of you on DS4 [shoe-string budgets] because I expect you love driving/racing just as much as me. I understand there are life restrictions for one reason or another but I expect that you’d get so much more out of driving that you’d never go back once you try a wheel (and/or better equipment).

As far as personal integrity and accountability topic - by and large we are at the mercy of the chosen platform/sim software. SNAIL rules won’t stop our cultural tolerance and or entitlement thinking for believing rules are meant to be bent! (#KickTheHornetNest)

I did purchase a wheel for gt6 and without the access to a community that could provide help with settings, set-ups, and bug fixes I found the wheel a giant waste of money and returned it. I was only a console guy at that point and only did the single player content in gt. Fast forward to gtsport and daily races I was not about to drop that kind of money to do daily races. It's only now that I have found snail and gtplanet that I would consider it a good investment.

He asked for an example of what kind of advantage the shifter gave to drivers using it and I honestly just tried to find one without spending 30 minutes looking for an example that wouldn't hurt your feelings.

Yes there are plenty of other people in D1 today who have a shifter, most of them bought one because they were being left behind without it - there were also some advantages to be had in FIA and sport mode races with a shifter so that could've also played a role.

I honestly just picked the first replay I could find that gave a clear example of the topic at hand, if you think I purposely picked a replay featuring just you so I could "call you out" you are being egotistical.
The example was just that - and I even identified that I have no way of knowing if you were shifting legitimately, or turbo shifting.

What I don't get is why you're so offended by people shedding some light on this. It's not like you can claim ignorance - there are plenty of examples to pick from, I didn't just happen to stumble across the only time you ever had a large advantage at the start of a race due to the shifter.
Considering you had to go all the way back to a combo from June of last year it makes no logical sense when you say you picked the first replay you could find that could give you a clear example. Hell, we've had 17 combos(34 races) this year alone that were cars with shifters. Not to mention Chris has 42 videos posted within "1 month" on YT. So your excuse that you "picked the first one" when you had to go back through 10 months worth of uploads, especially since you took the time to fast forward to the second race just to make your point, seems extremely disingenuous.

Also you did the same thing months ago when the shifter debate first came out, only naming me in your post when at least 2 other people were using it as well. Again, it's a tactless thing to do.

Yea!!!! Combos!!!!

How much faster is using a H shifter Vs paddle Vs ds4 given equal talent and not abusing a broken mechanic? I'm a ds4 pleb so I just pound buttons and have fun.

This should give you an idea.

As someone who used the DS3/DS4 forever, I am so happy I made the switch to a wheel. The game is much more enjoyable for me, and I'd like to think it also made me quicker. I cant do an accurate test of that anymore since I haven't put a competitive lap down with the sticks in well over a year.

That's not to say that wheels are faster than controllers though. There are some guys running in the top FIA lobbies that use the DS4, Sean is competitive in D1 with it, and hell even Timlour uses motion steering and is also competitive in D1. I think the point is, no matter what kind of hardware some people use, they'll find a way to adapt and be fast with it.

Back