◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
If need be. I will get one going. However we have a few usual suspects for host. So rather wait and see what their doing.

zer05ive
I'll be posting the room numbers shortly. dabneyd is hosting the blue room and goat is hosting the red room.

Awesome. Really like the Camaro SS RM and S2k GT1 Turbo. Vette is ok but don't enjoy Suzuka much with it.

See ya guys soon.

The practice rooms are officially open! If you're assigned to Division 1 or Division 2 (or you placed in the top 5 of Division 3 this past Sunday) please join the BLUE ROOM:

1472-4711-0467-9861-4857

Everyone else, please join the RED ROOM:

1472-4711-0467-9861-4860

I think it means when the drivers strength goes down to the % they'll pit.

Awesome. Really like the Camaro SS RM and S2k GT1 Turbo. Vette is ok but don't enjoy Suzuka much with it.

See ya guys soon.

Dang limited data. I only have data plan basically allowing only online racing once a week (Sunday). Been driving a lot solo, but need cars too. Posting 2:16.xxx and 1:36.xxx at Spa and Fuji respectively. Would like to drive those times in traffic. Have a splendid practice tonight. I will enjoy in spirit.

Once I get a better understanding about my usage in Gigs over a two hour period, I may be able to practice on a night...any techies who might know data usage/hour racing???

Last edited:
Have to work on my starts more....that Amuse is a beast once it gets going. I may have scared Exosphere when I nearly lost it right in front of him :scared:

Edit; and cheers for the draft at Spa too, Count...I broke into the 2:16 bracket with that in the race :D

Last edited:
Once I get a better understanding about my usage in Gigs over a two hour period, I may be able to practice on a night...any techies who might know data usage/hour racing???

Are you racing over mobile broadband or something? Didn't know that was possible. I'm probably just confused though.

Could probably create a hot spot with a LTE phone and get a very good connection. I should test that out. Actually hillracing should test it

Have to work on my starts more....that Amuse is a beast once it gets going. I may have scared Exosphere when I nearly lost it right in front of him :scared:

Heh, I didn't even notice... I have been sucking so bad lately I spend more time monitoring O2 levels in the house than I do putting in solid laps:grumpy:! 2nd gear starts seem to help me get moving from time to time.

Speaking of sucking, I need help. I seem to be getting worse and worse every week. I am not sure if it just the learning curve of going from DS3 to the wheel or what is actually going on. I practice as much as real life will allow and I am going back through all the license tests (and not moving on until I gold them all) and I am spending some time in the dirt to work on recovery skills, but I still feel like I am missing something. I hate the idea knowing that I am practicing my mistakes. If this were a motocross sim, I would have it all wired because I understand the physics much better. Cars, not so much. I would really appreciate any insight you all could give me and if anyone was willing to do a little tutoring? I just need a little confidence builder and I think the rest will follow naturally.

Thanks all!!

On a side note, love the avatar gumball! Is that you?? Looks like an early Kevin Windham at maybe Washougal!!

Oshawa-Joe
Could probably create a hot spot with a LTE phone and get a very good connection. I should test that out. Actually hillracing should test it

I've tested the speed of it before and while it wasn't terrible it wasn't good enough to justify the cost. Wish it was good enough. The whole bad connection thing is annoying.

Heh, I didn't even notice... I have been sucking so bad lately I spend more time monitoring O2 levels in the house than I do putting in solid laps:grumpy:! 2nd gear starts seem to help me get moving from time to time.

Speaking of sucking, I need help. I seem to be getting worse and worse every week. I am not sure if it just the learning curve of going from DS3 to the wheel or what is actually going on. I practice as much as real life will allow and I am going back through all the license tests (and not moving on until I gold them all) and I am spending some time in the dirt to work on recovery skills, but I still feel like I am missing something. I hate the idea knowing that I am practicing my mistakes. If this were a motocross sim, I would have it all wired because I understand the physics much better. Cars, not so much. I would really appreciate any insight you all could give me and if anyone was willing to do a little tutoring? I just need a little confidence builder and I think the rest will follow naturally.

Thanks all!!

On a side note, love the avatar gumball! Is that you?? Looks like an early Kevin Windham at maybe Washougal!!
Exo,

I am not sure how long you have had the wheel but they do take some time to get used to.

I am not sure but it almost sounds like you might be trying to hard to get perfection rather than just getting comfortable with it. I found that just hopping in a car and driving on the Ring for an hour is great. I focus on not making any mistakes so they are not fast laps. Gradually I have begun to get faster and more confident. I find my self making some great saves with the wheel now.

The other bit of advice is to make sure you have the wheel firmly in place. You want it to not move at all when you need to quickly apply oposite lock. any movement just makes it harder.

Feel free to ignore just my $.02

Exo,

I am not sure how long you have had the wheel but they do take some time to get used to.

I am not sure but it almost sounds like you might be trying to hard to get perfection rather than just getting comfortable with it. I found that just hopping in a car and driving on the Ring for an hour is great. I focus on not making any mistakes so they are not fast laps. Gradually I have begun to get faster and more confident. I find my self making some great saves with the wheel now.

The other bit of advice is to make sure you have the wheel firmly in place. You want it to not move at all when you need to quickly apply oposite lock. any movement just makes it harder.

Feel free to ignore just my $.02

I would never ignore $.02 in this economy!! :dopey: I have had the wheel for about 5 weeks and my "custom" stand, while uglier than a baboons fanny, it's very stable! I think you are right about pushing too hard. I think I will take your advice and put on some mellow tunes and just cruise the 'ring from time to time. (I have always wanted to know that track better!) Thanks for the input!!

ExoSphere64
I would never ignore $.02 in this economy!! :dopey: I have had the wheel for about 5 weeks and my "custom" stand, while uglier than a baboons fanny, it's very stable! I think you are right about pushing too hard. I think I will take your advice and put on some mellow tunes and just cruise the 'ring from time to time. (I have always wanted to know that track better!) Thanks for the input!!

5 weeks huh. I would say it took three months to truly get comfortable with my new wheel and that was switching from one wheel to another. We should setup a ring cruise:)

5 weeks huh. I would say it took three months to truly get comfortable with my new wheel and that was switching from one wheel to another. We should setup a ring cruise:)

That would be sweet! I am off for the next few days so when ever is good for you let's do it!

didn't get a chance to practice tonight, but exo the biggest thing for me was where I had the wheel. I too have had mine for about 5-6 weeks. I moved it closer to me, and tilted it slightly upward (like a normal steering wheel) I hold it at 9 and 3 at all times, and I have the FF set to I think 7 (ten is just asinine, I've driven my old wrx on back roads upwards of 80-100 miles an hour and never felt a steering wheel react like that but that is strictly opinion) The vibration in the wheel seems a bit too much. I wish you could adjust that along with the force. Anyway, what I am getting at it, is it is all about comfort/practicality. Joby gave me some wonderful advice when I was first starting that I still adhere to when I don't know a track well. Take 3-5 laps and do not leave second gear. Gradually build up faster, finding a line that is comfortable and fast. I feel like that will help you progress more quickly. I dropped the FF down to 4 the first few weeks, and it is really a matter of what is comfortable for you. Have fun with it, and don't stress too hard on it. I know competition runs high amongst all of the drivers around here. That is what it is all about, but say you are running 7th of 10, run your race, if you aren't quite at first place you will get there eventually, and the reward of it will feel like you are holding a big check in your hand on a podium.

Echo! I agree with what the above posters said. Go slow then build up, it took me a couple of months to get up to racing speed when I switched to he g27. I think I run with ff set to 7 also. Go slow, and do your best to keep you wheel and peddle inputs smooth and as little as possible. Unless something goes horribly wrong, you shouldn't hit steering lock. I never take my wheel more then about 120 degrees in any direction.

Seemed like a few people thought we were doing Jahgee's Dirty Snail racing last night.

At this point everyone should know how to race in Snail. The dive bombing into corners and general banging around is getting over the top.

Did anyone else feel the same way or am I just being a whiner?

Back