◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
Bowler, do you run the Read & React by Rick Torbett? I get super excited when I hear someone coaches too. I personally guarantee you will force a team that plays man D as their staple D, to a zone inside of 5 minutes regardless of your team's talent level.

I took a H.S. team with a three-year win total of 17 to 17 wins their first year in this system. We forced the State runners-up to zone inside 4 minutes. I get a little excited, hence my handle. LOL.

I run a variation of what Loyola Marymount did in the late '80's early '90s. We run all the time. Every possesion is a fast break and the first open shot is the right shot. I run a 1-3-1 matchup/trapping zone most of the time for defense and last year my 8th grade team averaged 71 ppg. Games were 18 minute halves with the clock only stopping for free throws. A lot of times I had to call off the dogs or we could have averaged more.

Our high school coach is in his 27th year of playing man defense and a motion offense and finishing 4 or 5 games over .500 every year. The guy still has a job becasue he won one section championship 22 years ago. Once he retires, I have it on good authority that the job is mine if I want it. I should be able to continue what I'm doing up to 8th grade into high school and put up some real numbers.

That wasn't a suggestion; it was a mandate.

Ah, well it wasn't written as such. Thanks for clearing that up -- is it written anywhere else, in the reams of "official" SNAIL literature (ie: post 1)? Maybe just a link to your mandate.

Not trying to be a dick, but your "feeling" doesn't read like a rule, especially with the question at the end...that's all.

Apmaddock
I feel that we should limit the track a bit in a couple of spots. First is down the main straight. There is a white line down the right side that is the track boundary, this has not been followed by some drivers. Driving out there really won't gain you much, anyway, so why bother?

I run a variation of what Loyola Marymount did in the late '80's early '90s. We run all the time. Every possesion is a fast break and the first open shot is the right shot. I run a 1-3-1 matchup/trapping zone most of the time for defense and last year my 8th grade team averaged 71 ppg. Games were 18 minute halves with the clock only stopping for free throws. A lot of times I had to call off the dogs or we could have averaged more.

Our high school coach is in his 27th year of playing man defense and a motion offense and finishing 4 or 5 games over .500 every year. The guy still has a job becasue he won one section championship 22 years ago. Once he retires, I have it on good authority that the job is mine if I want it. I should be able to continue what I'm doing up to 8th grade into high school and put up some real numbers.

71 points in 8th grade!? DAMN

I know it's a joke, but all this talk about the FGT at Kart Space inspired me to...take the FGT to Kart Space (II), just for fun. While it would definitely make for some crappy racing, it was more fun by myself than I expected. I would try the 2CV at Daytona, but the lap timer tops out after an hour :lol:

Anyway, if it isn't clear already, I don't really have anything to add to the conversation, but for me personally, I'll drive whatever the prize winners choose. I doubt we could find anything worse than the Samba Bus at TGTT special event or the IC-10 license test (before they patched it) I've already done.

I'll try be there but I'll need to check my rota for work first. If I'm on a another morning shift I simply can't race since the races end 5am UK, and my morning shifts start at 11am :indiff:.

Clios and Caterhams look fun but I detest AR R :P.

Kendawg. I am curious as to what would be the last set of combos that you liked. I am truly interested and not having a go. I feel the best nights are ones that have a low to moderate pp street car (400-450), a higher PP street car (500-550) and then a RM or tuner car. Weeks where we have those tends to produce the most happiness. I may be wrong in thinking that but that is how it seems to me.

That is what I'm talking about... I would love to see some more of this Jobyone. Your right, that format seemed to be the best racing and everyone was all excited and could not wait till the next Sunday night.

I know we have talked about it before, but I wish that was the bracket we used every week.

Race 1 - 499pp and lower
Race 2 - 500pp and higher
Race 3 - race car, RM, or TC (maybe even GT500, 300 cars)

DrKronin: a bunch of us ran the Nissan Cube on the ovals last year....it was some of the most intense driving I've been involved in on GT5.

I know that sounds silly since it's a rather ordinary car, but the only way to be fast was to, literally, stick with someone else for the whole way. If you lost the draft, you were immediately way off the pace. I tell you, pushing someone through the turns at Daytona and Indy (Motegi not so much since it's a much smaller track and was easier to stay with the pack) was terrifying :scared:

DrKronin: a bunch of us ran the Nissan Cube on the ovals last year....it was some of the most intense driving I've been involved in on GT5.

I know that sounds silly since it's a rather ordinary car, but the only way to be fast was to, literally, stick with someone else for the whole way. If you lost the draft, you were immediately way off the pace. I tell you, pushing someone through the turns at Daytona and Indy (Motegi not so much since it's a much smaller track and was easier to stay with the pack) was terrifying :scared:

Sounds like fun to me. Maybe not in the "I would do this every week!" sense, but I would definitely try it.

One of my favorite combos SNAIL has run was the Vette? at the Twin Ring Motegi Oval. Thought I would hate it, but ended up loving it.

Data suggests the possibility of...

Negative changes to tire grip do NOT = popularity

Other analysis welcome.

Kendawg. I am curious as to what would be the last set of combos that you liked. I am truly interested and not having a go. I feel the best nights are ones that have a low to moderate pp street car (400-450), a higher PP street car (500-550) and then a RM or tuner car. Weeks where we have those tends to produce the most happiness. I may be wrong in thinking that but that is how it seems to me.

It also feels like most high PP FR (500pp +) seem to only last one week.

Some of those may have been a victim of simply being the wrong car on the wrong track but I feel I see a pattern.

While the RM's and the Tuners seem to last a bit longer.

My thoughts as to why? The RM and tuner cars are usually well sorted, show good balance, have good grip and downforce. This means the fast guys can really push them and the slower guys can just enjoy the ease with which they can be driven.

Lastly I am not condoning we only run RM's and Tuners. In fact far from it I prefer streetcars and the limitations and uniqueness that each one brings. But ultimately I like the variety...

...and the great racers in this league.

Last edited:
I doubt we could find anything worse than the Samba Bus at TGTT special event or the IC-10 license test (before they patched it) I've already done.

There is the amphibiuos VW that can fill this category.

P Volkswagen Schwimmwagen typ166 ’42

Maybe that one will be a better choice than the Caterham; well set the track to 100% Rain to make it feel at home and fast!

Why doesn't anyone ever pick FF cars? The RM Civic @ Tokyo would be interesting.

We are reserving that for when you win! :dopey:

Last edited:
You make a very good point. Having the masses deal with something they didn't vote for is indeed part of life. In fact, it's the American way! Every time we elect or re-elect a president of the United States, there are a LOT of people that aren't happy. Usually 45-49% of Americans are disgusted with the results of any given presidential election.

Yeesh....that's better than Canada, where usually 30-35% of the population vote for the winning party...

and now that I'm caught up with the thread (don't you guys work??), i'd be happiest with some low pp RMs and TC cars every now and then -- I agree with the driveability aspect of them. The Caterham I find too twitchy, but once you get a grip (pun intended) with the handling, you can slide the thing around corners ringing the engine off the limiter and then rocket up straights..that's kinda fun :) The vette wasn't interesting at Monza, because I think you need a much faster car there -- there's just too many long straights to keep it good.

Alfa @ Rome should be nice tho! Why doesn't anyone ever pick FF cars? The RM Civic @ Tokyo would be interesting.

Last edited:
Howdy All :)

Im still having Internet issues at random times :/

Altho its only Tuesday......if im lucky and put in some practice times.... :sly:

FFs are epic, the Scirroco is a great example of this :D. You should try it sometime, too bad it's DLC. If not a Honda Civic '08 around AR or GP/D is a great combo :).

I'd like to officially plunk down a color combo as to avoid the "twins" syndrome we had in D2 last Sunday:dopey:

Put me down as yellow car (Giallo Modena) with red wheels (Toro Red) and I'll take the number 88 as well.

If you want fun the Scirroco is the most fun FF for sure. It has big power and is very sideways even when stock :D.

Sounds like we run similar styles. Constant movement baseline to baseline. Best wishes to you.

I must chime in...

Love, hate, to race or sit one out... Maybe if I were a better driver, I might have some concept of these notions. It has never crossed my mind to sit out a race because a combo didn't sit well with me. Most of the combo's don't sit well with me because I stink! I don't saddle up every Sunday night because of a certain car or a track. I get behind the wheel week in and week out because it is an escape from the hassles of the real world. When I am "playing" race car driver, the worries of the last week and the week to come dissolve away for a couple of hours (and no hangover to deal with later)! I also truly enjoy the camaraderie of my fellow drivers and have a great deal of respect for the league administration. It is very difficult to find an organization like this in the real world. Combo's?? If a '74 AMC Gremlin X was chosen to race in Barney's back yard you can bet that I will be there (in last place) come hell or high water!!

P.S. For those who really hate the Caterham, you're gonna just LOVE the 8C!! Bwahahhahahah!!!

71 points in 8th grade!? DAMN

Lol. With the style Bowler and I use that is very achievable. Basically, your offense starts as soon as the ball is inbounded after a bucket, turnover, or rebound. Plus with the 1-3-1 trap D you force turnovers which are then turned into easy transition points.

ExoSphere64
I must chime in...

Love, hate, to race or sit one out... Maybe if I were a better driver, I might have some concept of these notions. It has never crossed my mind to sit out a race because a combo didn't sit well with me. Most of the combo's don't sit well with me because I stink! I don't saddle up every Sunday night because of a certain car or a track. I get behind the wheel week in and week out because it is an escape from the hassles of the real world. When I am "playing" race car driver, the worries of the last week and the week to come dissolve away for a couple of hours (and no hangover to deal with later)! I also truly enjoy the camaraderie of my fellow drivers and have a great deal of respect for the league administration. It is very difficult to find an organization like this in the real world. Combo's?? If a '74 AMC Gremlin X was chosen to race in Barney's back yard you can bet that I will be there (in last place) come hell or high water!!

P.S. For those who really hate the Caterham, you're gonna just LOVE the 8C!! Bwahahhahahah!!!

Yea its a little fancy like someone give you a meal and you say its not good!!!!

Why doesn't anyone ever pick FF cars? The RM Civic @ Tokyo would be interesting.

I've given up that fight, pyxen....it's rare they stick for more than a single week anyway :(

FFs are epic, the Scirroco is a great example of this :D. You should try it sometime, too bad it's DLC. If not a Honda Civic '08 around AR or GP/D is a great combo :).

The Scirroco is a really fun car, I agree. I also sorta like the Cappuccino RM.

But my favorite FF in the game is probably the '87 Civic SI Race Car.

If the planets ever align, and I win a prize at the same time this is in the OCD, I'll probably feel obligated to pick it.

Edit: I think those are unusual though. With the possible exception of the Focus, I haven't been as impressed with the FF cars we've driven since I joined.

I agree with the Scirocco! I actually have 2 of them, the SNAIL un-tuned version and the tuned version at 505pp. Sweet car even though is FF.

Wish the DLC car rule would change. 💡👍

Lol. With the style Bowler and I use that is very achievable. Basically, your offense starts as soon as the ball is inbounded after a bucket, turnover, or rebound. Plus with the 1-3-1 trap D you force turnovers which are then turned into easy transition points.

This upcoming season, I've been gifted a couple of kids to play the wing spots. One of them is 5'11" and the other is 6'1". They both have the skills to play the 2 guard minus the three pt. range. Add that to my 6'3" guy in the middle that is a natural shot blocker and can handle the ball and I can't wait for this season to get going. The only thing I'm missing this year is a true threat from 3 but the size should make up for it.

Howdy All :)

Im still having Internet issues at random times :/

Altho its only Tuesday......if im lucky and put in some practice times.... :sly:

Mopar, it's good to hear from you again. If you're looking for some practice times, Wednesday night is still an ideal opportunity for that! :)

Back