1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,477 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
I wasn't aware of that. By the way, how hard is it to find the treasure hunts? At walmart they have an insane amount of Hot Wheels, but I didn't find any the last two times I checked. Also, where would be my best bet to find one?

Treasure Hunts is really hard to find. In fact, in my whole 3 years of collecting Hot Wheels I only managed to get 2. Yes, only a dissapointing 2! :lol:

Since I'm not in the US, I'd say just go around Wal Mart, or any other shops that sells Hot Wheels. It's pretty hard to find here, but I don't think it's too hard to find one there. If desperate enough, the very best bet is through eBay. Sometimes they sell the whole set of THUNTs for that particular year's collection.

InvincibleM5
Treasure Hunts is really hard to find. In fact, in my whole 3 years of collecting Hot Wheels I only managed to get 2. Yes, only a dissapointing 2! :lol:

Since I'm not in the US, I'd say just go around Wal Mart, or any other shops that sells Hot Wheels. It's pretty hard to find here, but I don't think it's too hard to find one there. If desperate enough, the very best bet is through eBay. Sometimes they sell the whole set of THUNTs for that particular year's collection.

Those "super" treasure hunts.. are they nicer than the normal hunts? Or are they just called super for no reason?

I googled "how to find Hot Wheels Treasure Hunts" and came up with this:
http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-find-hot-wheels-treasure-hunt-cars.html

Last edited:
Those "super" treasure hunts.. are they nicer than the normal hunts? Or are they just called super for no reason?

I googled "how to find Hot Wheels Treasure Hunts" and came up with this:
http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-find-hot-wheels-treasure-hunt-cars.html

Yes, there is a reason to why the called it 'Super' and it's a whole lot harder to find. Perhaps the possibility is like 1/100!

The Super Treasure Hunts cars will feature Real Riders wheels and Spectraflame paintjob. Usually in a year's collection there are 12 Treasure Hunts and also 12 Super Treasure Hunts of the same variant of cars but with much better details like explained.

And the link you posted, just follow it. Like know when the new wave arrive, make friends with one of the employee and let them know you when the new package arrives. Make sure you're the first to arrive and acknowledge the cars in the packaging. There should be some Treasure Hunts in there. ;)

EDIT:

In the case of collectors in Malaysia, they will make friends with some 7-Eleven employees and they will let them know when the new package arrives. The employee will keep the box until the collector arrives and he will be the first to open the box and secure all the new cars and THUNTs. Dirty, and also against the employee policies but that's how it goes. :lol:

The spectraflame paint thing is not true actually.

Edit: and the "12 Super Treasure Hunts of the same variant of cars but with much better details like explained" was true up until 2012 model cars, as the super treasure hunts are now different cars.

The spectraflame paint thing is not true actually.

Edit: and the "12 Super Treasure Hunts of the same variant of cars but with much better details like explained" was true up until 2012 model cars, as the super treasure hunts are now different cars.

Thanks for the corrections mate. I've never seen the Super THUNTs myself, only from what people said in my local forums. And that's a new thing I didn't notice myself about the different Treasure Hunts cars for 2012...

Cheers! :cheers:

I'll tell you all the same things I tell to the people in the local club forum: stop worrying for THs, really, and visit flea markets. The REAL jewells are there.

Cano
I'll tell you all the same things I tell to the people in the local club forum: stop worrying for THs, really, and visit flea markets. The REAL jewells are there.

Are you talking about cars that people model themselves?

That's true! I, myself will go to the flea market next week. Our local collectors usually have a meet up there so we can trade our cars...

They also have a lot of old stuff and a mint condition mystery car still in packaging. Well, you know how bloody difficult to find it right? :P

Are you talking about cars that people model themselves?

no, old fleamarket cars like the ones I posted in my latest "grab" post a few pages ago. There are real jewels to be found in the old used stuff. Ask DiabolicWyvenr, he is also a hardcore fleamarket aficionado and has found amazing stuff in such places.

A buddy of mine really scored yesterday - one of the stores at the mall where he works got a new shipment of hot wheels come in - a good hundred odd cars - 2011 models. He picked up a Kenmeri Skyline (which apparently there were 3 off), a 177 Aston Martin, R32 Skyline, Pontiac Firebird 400 and a 59' Chevy Treasure Hunt. Collecting is becoming like an artform these days - knowing just when to hit the stores as you see stock coming in! This supports my theory I put together last week when i picked up a new batch of 2011 models - that South Africa has some good stuff coming in this month! We're doing a run on saturday - gonna try to hit all the major spots in Durban to see what we can get - this close to Christmas, I'm sure all the stores have their shelves stocked already! I might check out the mall where he works after i finish work - but I dont know if I'll score cos it seems like he already got alll the good stuff - I have the Pontiac and Kenmeri, but damn it would have been sweet to pick up that treasure hunt! I already have 4, including a Super Treasure hunt, but he now has 3 - an Avanti(I also Have), a Mustang funny car and now the Chevy.... :(
On the topic of the Kenmeri Skyline - i hate to say it but it seems to be getting the Back to the Future time machine syndrom! So far, I've seen 5 in the past week, and thats just 2 stores! Hopefully, the A-team van is somewhere here as well.... hopefully it will be added to the collection shortly!

Give it 20-30 years and most treasure hunts will become those "jewels".

R1600Turbo
Give it 20-30 years and most treasure hunts will become those "jewels".

Not necessarily.. Those treasure hunts are collected by so many people (which can't be said about the past) that in 20-30 years there will be so many in pristine condition that they wont be worth a whole lot. Plus these cars are mass mass mass produced even if they say "treasure hunt." I may not know alot about Hot Wheels, but I know alot about collecting baseball cars, and this is how it works.

Here's my input, but who cares. :D I believe Treasure Hunts will become jewels, because there's always a demand for them. And in my opinion, they're very hard to come by due to collectors and scalpers hoarding them. Some people in this thread haven't even seen a reg. T-Hunt on the pegs, let alone a $uper. (Don't worry, it's coming Mr. Frost) ;)

This is just my opinion. :)

of course they will be jewells. From a collecting standpoint they already are due to limited-production nature and incredibly high demand. But they are a differen kind of jewell, they are a jewell that you already know it's a jewell.

Back when HW didn't do limited editions that said "limited edition" on the card, they were variations of tampos, colors, interior colors and so on, and people didn't know they would be scarce as heck in the future, those are the jewells I'm talking about. Heck, any old car right now is a jewell if you come by it in good shape, some more than others but they are all valuable. Finding the scarcest cars just makes it all more fun.

And expensive.

screw double posts.

SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO... you may remember that, AGES AGO, Slybugga posted all these:

Now a bunch of loose ones from when I was a kid.

q0DL3.jpg

Older stuff

KPVts.jpg

PIDzf.jpg

hPsrW.jpg

LaxKt.jpg

Guess who got some of those?

Thanks a ton to Sly for agreeing on selling me these, there are several very gooooood cars in here. This picture has the rare Fire Dept Olds 442, still a bit dirty, I'll be cleanin' it up right about now. The Minitrek (white Nissan camper) with black base is minty and a variation of one I already had with brown base. I was also missing the Fireball funny, and the chrome Nomad. And the blue 40 Woody is a heck of an update to the one I posted months ago that had its top resprayed in matte black.
IMG_6084.jpg

This picture has the odd Bugatti variation of blue body with yellow fenders, a very good Trans Am, the Paddy Wagon whose top has been painted with some kind of cool flip-flop color-changing paint, a rare metal-base Motorhome, and it's a pity that the Inside Story has its front end cracked, as it is in great shape.
IMG_6085.jpg

And finally this one contains a good Poison Pinto, the plastic fender variation to my metal-fender Bugatti with white walls, a near mint orange Baja Breaker which is a heck of an upgrade from the one I had, the Spoiler Sport also turned out to be the rear window variation to the one I had, pretty damn happy about that, and the black-tire Mercedes 540K, a variation to my white walled one.
IMG_6086.jpg

missing from the pictures because I suck are a red Rescue Ranger and these two, still in blister:
55815.jpg

2675017.jpg

I'll be freeing up the Porsche like right now, I've chased that version for years.

Anyway, here is the loot all the way from Hawaiii. Thanks a ton, man. I'll let you know (:

Last edited:
And finally this one contains a good Poison Pinto, the plastic fender variation to my metal-fender Bugatti with white walls, a near mint orange Baja Breaker which is a heck of an upgrade from the one I had, the Spoiler Sport also turned out to be the rear window variation to the one I had, pretty damn happy about that, and the black-tire Mercedes 540K, a variation to my white walled one.
IMG_6086.jpg

Ooooh! The infamous 540K with the top. Nice one, Cano!

Also, what is your photo booth? It's something I'd like to make or buy, just so I don't get half of my house in the background.

InvincibleM5
I'm still looking for that GT2... Only got the GT3 so far.

I'm missing up quite a lot on this year's collection.

I've seen quite alot over the past few days... what else are you still looking for?

I've seen quite alot over the past few days... what else are you still looking for?

I'm looking for the BMW M3 GT2 and the Ford Falcon Race Car. Those are what I'd say a must have at the moment. I couldn't remember what else am I missing in this year's collections but I'd say a lot. Including the Ferrari California.

On the topic of whether or not the treasure hunts will pick up any value, heres my 2 cents worth: I actually think any hot wheel for that matter will be valuable - think about it - theres some really hardcore collectors out there - imagine what a complete 2011 set (all 240 odd cars incl. treasure hunts) will be worth in 10 - 15 years? Maybe theres a collector who started a collection in 2015 or something and is wanting to track down older series.... it could be worth something! Also - i know that the treasure hunts are rare - and that some serious collectors that come here have'nt even seen one - let alone have any in their collection - but the fact the me, a guy in Durban, South Africa - not the epicenter of hot wheel collecting, already has 4 and has seen more! Maybe hot wheel collecting aint that popular here - hence me actually being able to find some, but still.... maybe i can just sell them in a few years to one of you guys! :)
Anyways - i checked out the mall where my buddy picked up those cars from and what a fail! I think he was just blowing a lil smoke - but there were under 20 cars there (nothing close to the 100+ that he mentioned :(...) Nothing that i wanted (i have 28 more cars (excl. the treasure hunts) that i need to complete my 2011 set!), however i picked up another Kenmeri that i opened and have displayed now. A bit of a disappointing trip... hopefully tomorrows epic trip might herald some good finds! One thing that i noted: out of the 2 stores that i've visited in the past week that have received new stock - both of them had similar cars (the kenmeri, black hot wheels racing willys, green pontiac 400, toyota land cruiser... to name a few), it looks like the shipment that came into South Africa is full of the harder to find cars/cars that hadnt been available here before... we have one distributor in SA of hot wheels that sends cars to all hot wheels dealers.... maybe they have a treasure trobe (exscuse the pun!) of good stuff waiting to be discovered!

I'm looking for the BMW M3 GT2 and the Ford Falcon Race Car. Those are what I'd say a must have at the moment. I couldn't remember what else am I missing in this year's collections but I'd say a lot. Including the Ferrari California.

If you guys already have 2012 models there then y'all are very fortunate - i think we have the final wave of 2011 models coming in now, but i dread we might have to wait till mid next year to see the 1st batch of 2012 models. This year may/june was when i spotted the 1st batch of 2011 models in one store - a couple months later was when they showed up in more places!

InvincibleM5

I've seen all those at walmart. I have the BMW M3 GT2 and the California. I've been collecting for about a week now :lol:. This is my current list of modern hot wheels:
Ferrari 5 pack:
F50
575 GTC
430 Scuderia
599 GTB Fiorano
GTO (x2)

Ferrari 458 Italia
Ferrari California
Aston Martin DBS
Aston Martin ONE-77
Infinity G37
BMW M3
BMW M3 GT2
Acura NSX
Corvette Grand Sport
Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Porsche 911 GT2

SVX
Ooooh! The infamous 540K with the top. Nice one, Cano!

Also, what is your photo booth? It's something I'd like to make or buy, just so I don't get half of my house in the background.

Yeah, I've now got both red versions (white and black tires), both black versions (white and black tires), the white version, and a purple one somewhere. Plus a black one without a top that will get something done about that eventually.

And my photo boot is just a sheet of paper against a box, with a white-light desk lamp directly above the cars and a bit of fill flash from the camera, then into Photoshop where all the light stuff gets corrected.

EDIT:

On the topic of whether or not the treasure hunts will pick up any value, heres my 2 cents worth: I actually think any hot wheel for that matter will be valuable - think about it - theres some really hardcore collectors out there - imagine what a complete 2011 set (all 240 odd cars incl. treasure hunts) will be worth in 10 - 15 years? Maybe theres a collector who started a collection in 2015 or something and is wanting to track down older series.... it could be worth something!

In 15 years? close to nothing. In 35 years, yeah.

Look at what I just dug up. It was a hand out at a Colorado Rockies (baseball) game I went to in 2003. It is made by "Racing Champions."
photo-13.jpg

Limited to 10,000 pieces
photo-14.jpg

Last edited:
Buying cars in Malaysia is kind of hard now. All my local stores never restock. Been months already and if they never restock in the next couple of weeks I think I'm gong to the flea market with hopes that all the cars I wanted are there. Also I forgot about the Aston One-77 as it's also in my list.

And my photo boot is just a sheet of paper against a box, with a white-light desk lamp directly above the cars and a bit of fill flash from the camera, then into Photoshop where all the light stuff gets corrected.

Sweet, thank you.

Back