1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,477 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
Cano
Well it is pretty beat up but it's mostly complete, really. To restore a car all you really need is that all of the glass is there and complete/not broken. Your's even has both headlamps. It's a perfect candidate for a restoration. If I found it just like it is, I'd already have it opened lol.

As much as I would love to restore it, I hav no clue where to start and how to do any of it. craft stuff is not in my skillset and I am 95% sure that if open it I will botch the job and it will never get closed (I wouldn't have the time anyway, as I'm quite busy). Also, how easy is it to find a new wheel for a car from the 70's? Anyway, I'd rather just leave it as is unless it could be properly restored, as botched jobs lower a cars collectibility.

As promised although a bit late...

30112011265.jpg

That 3 Series is actually the LCI E90...

Like mine :(

Yeah, both of your cars are in that bunch of standstills, it bugs me to no end. I've got like 6 Majorettes, two Sikus, a trio of Lesneys and some Hot Wheels, all in primer and just waiting for paint and I haven't had the time to go with my painter friend and finish them. In addition, I also have two already-painted cars that are just waiting to be reassembled, a Majorette Mercedes and a black Street Rodder. No time for completing them, either. The Brasilia was built before all the work on these cars I mentioned -and yours, of course- was started.

Stopped at WalMart tonight to get some things and checked the Hotwheels. Grabbed a few off the pegs then found the dump bin over flowing. An empty cart was near by so I grabbed it and started going through them one at a time. Came up with a couple cool cars, but no TH's. :(

Will post pics tomorrow.

Went there today, I managed to pick up four, but it was slim pickings. :indiff:

Same here: even though the pegs were overfilled with cars, it was just the same old stuff from 4-5 months ago. I'll post a pic of the four that I got soon.

This is what I got in the 4 Hot Wheels for $5 deal as well as a Matchbox Miura. The Ducati looks suspiciously like Troy Bayliss' 2008 World Superbike.
018tdv.jpg

4 for $5...how much are the normally? I would think a sale price would be closer to 99 cents.

This is Australia we're talking about... just about everything is overpriced here compared to the USA, despite the AUD being stronger than the USD.

Ok, here's an update on my new custom project. The goal of this project was to make a replica of my boss's 997 Porsche Turbo. I then got the idea of putting the car on a diorama made to look like the Mustang Dyno at our shop. I spent most of the day getting the diorama all set up, and also got the Porsche stripped. Unfortunately I don't have any primer, so will have to buy that tomorrow morning so I can get the car finished by Sunday night.

Anywho, on to pics:

First, here is a real life shot of said Dyno that I tried to replicate -
IMG_0823a.jpg

And here is how it looks finished with a car on it -
DSCN4400.jpg

With the plastic cover slipped on, with a replica of the wall in the background -
DSCN4399.jpg

And here is the Porsche progress so far -
DSCN4401.jpg

Here is the paint I plan on using -
DSCN4402.jpg

Tip: get some medicine blisters and replicate the diamond plated floor of the Dyno.

I went today to have cars painted with my friend who has a body shop. I came back with 4 fully painted cars, two now sporting a fresh set of clear lacqer, and two VW Bugs that were one solid color and now have white on them. Also, Diavolicwyvern's cars have color now. Productive afternoon. Will have pics when the paint is dry enough to manuplate them without risk.

ok people, this is gonna be a LONG POST. Please have patience while the pics load, I promise there are interesting cars ahead. this has been the accumulation of several months worth of flea markets and supermarket purchases. I'll make another post in the future with the internet stuff.

This comes from two or three different fleamarkets. Thecool things in here are the NASCAR Impalas, the BMW M1 and several cars bought for parts, like the red truck (six mint axles), the brown Matchbox Jeep wich donated it's top for a Lesney Land Rover I restored, and the rare red firesquad cannon truck... without cannon. I had another one with the cannon and just swapped it in.
IMG_3088.jpg

These came about later on. The radioactive van is a Simpsons Scene Machine, and the other relevant car here is the 1957 Vette from Matchbox which I had never seen. People will also probably like the first XJ220, the MR2 and the Vette.
IMG_3089.jpg

Here is the Scene Machine radioactive van. It's in great shape.
IMG_3099.jpg

You can peek inside from the rear door and this is what you get:
IMG_3101.jpg

Here is the 1957 Vette from Matchbox. 5-pack car?
IMG_3090.jpg

And this awesome, IMSA-Style 3d gen Trans Am. I love the "Son of a gun".
IMG_3092.jpg

This was from one of the bimonthly get togethers of the local club. Hakosuka and 240 th, the 350Z with orange wheels and the blue Pontiac GTO trasure hunt, too. The white semi is a very very rare made in Mexico piece, really difficult to find. the UNICEF Pajero is a pull-back action Welly.
IMG_5414.jpg

Next pictures are mainly supermarket purchases, no big deal in here, only basic cars. Matchbox is still lugging out some very high quality models and recolors:
IMG_5415.jpg

A couple HW Garage (the damedn Cyclone gasser is BOSS), a trio of James Bond movie cars and a couple of Motormax Corollas.
IMG_5416.jpg

More supermarket trash, some good models this year:
IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

And here, some more fleamarket grabs:
IMG_5424.jpg

The cool pieces from that bunch are the Maisto Fox Rustang, complete with centrifugal blower underhood:
IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

A Hot Wheels Power Command Corvette missing it's wing, like usual:
IMG_5438.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

This is a Kubota tractor from Tomica, the thing had a badly bent front axle but it has been fixed now.
IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

And this blast from the past, a made-in-spain Guisval Renault Space! this one cost me like USD$3, but they are very hard to find in here, as Guisval was only present here for two years or somethig like that.
IMG_5431.jpg

IMG_5433.jpg

Here it is with a 1:43 version also from Guisval, that I've had since new. Memories right there.
IMG_5434.jpg

I also grabbed these oddities, the two horseless carriages are McGregor/Politoys made in mexico cast-plastic pieces, extremely rare. The 917/30 is also a Politoys/Polistil but made in italy. All of them are 1:43 scale.
IMG_5425.jpg

This one is really complete, tough I have no idea what it might be.
IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

This one sez Isotta Fraschinni on the base, and is a little tattered and missing a tire. But for a buck each I wasn't gonna let them slip, they are very rare, specially having been made in Mexico.
IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

Then this marvelous thing, the 917/30 is almost new, only missing it's rollbar, which is easily replaceable. A incredible steal at USD$2.
IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5411.jpg

This stuff all came from the stash and junkyard of a friend, all of them are donnors/projects, of which you already saw one the Vette Grand Sport. Some of them will pop up here latter on.
IMG_5448.jpg

These are cars that also came from my friend's stash but that I was missing. Centerpiece is the tattered but rare Color Changer Talbot Lago. The Motormax 40 Ford was the one with the wheel swap a couple pages ago.
IMG_5449.jpg

And now we see some very very VERY old pictures. Some of these are almost a year old already but heck, there are so many good cars here that I still decided to share. Just looking at the cars in the next supermarket grabs picture should give you a good idea of how old these are. The pic was taken when all of these had just hit the shelves.

yukjfg023.jpg

Here we see the Vette Grand Sport TH from last year as well as a Dodge Challenger error, I opened it and never realized it was lacking its wing. Stupid.
yukjfg025.jpg

These came from my last visit to an awesome flea market that is flooded with diecast, but the prices are extreme:
yukjfg055.jpg

This Large Charge is the rare, alternate tampo variation of the made-in-Mexico model. Just finding the normal one is hard enough, but the variation is extremely difficult to nab. I won't tell you it cost me USD$25.
yukjfg056.jpg

here is the alternate tampo, in good condition:
yukjfg058.jpg

This Corgi van always elluded me, but I was able to grab it in great shape for USD$2. I've always loved the wacko styling of this thing, it's like a shrine to LSD.
yukjfg060.jpg

yukjfg062.jpg

And lastly, a tattered Lamborghini Miura from Playart that will see restoration in the future.
yukjfg063.jpg

These came form the usual fleamarket:
yukjfg031.jpg

Don't laugh at the plastic truck, ooze the details and the Made in W Germany lettering. US$50 cents.
yukjfg032.jpg

I never grabbed this Matchbox semi when new so I was pleased to find it in great shape.
yukjfg040.jpg

yukjfg041.jpg

This Vette's paint is pretty questionable but I don't have any other version of that casting which is very well achieved, and it was mint.
yukjfg042.jpg

yukjfg043.jpg

The Motormax Mini in an odd, unknown to me flat-green hue, and also mint.
yukjfg044.jpg

yukjfg045.jpg

This london taxicab is a China-made thing but it's pretty decent, and I always love having oddities in my collection:
yukjfg048.jpg

yukjfg049.jpg

Then this incredibly ugly Vette from Yatming. The casting is INCREDIBLY BAD, heck, it doesn't even have the four round tail-lamps but instead two squares. Wtf. But I love the brand and it's a very early model, and it was like one buck.
yukjfg050.jpg

These cars fell into my hands in yet another visit to the same fleamarket. Notice half of the HW Mopar 5-pack in there. You'll see the green Charger later on, customized.
yukjfg029.jpg

This is the rare, made-in-Mexico version of the Odd Rod; it's lacking the windshield, but it was cheap and yet another mexican HW in my collection.
yukjfg088.jpg

Awesome HW Pennzoil Indy car in almost mint shape, with basic wheels.
yukjfg090.jpg

Then the Penske Indy car, with some chips but in good shape and sporting the cool special wheels.
yukjfg100.jpg

A Radar Ranger, another mostrosity that I like because of how space-age it looks. This one has been sold by now, replaced by a mint one.
yukjfg095.jpg

yukjfg096.jpg

The rare black Sol Aire in great shape, this one is hard to find and only cost me a buck.
yukjfg092.jpg

yukjfg093.jpg

yukjfg094.jpg

And then, yet another made-in-Mexico car, the yellow Cannonade in almost mint condition. Cost me 8 bucks but it was worth every penny, it's pretty hard to find in good shape.
yukjfg097.jpg

yukjfg098.jpg

I love how it opens:
yukjfg099.jpg

And I saved the absolute best for the last, an awesome row of japanese Tomicas and... well, you'll see.
yukjfg053.jpg

Day started out innocently enough with this Nissan Cabal truck, hard to find with the hidraulic thing complete. One buck.
yukjfg075.jpg

yukjfg076.jpg

Then, a Tomica Vette with opening doors, tattered, but better than the one I had, and just another buck.
yukjfg067.jpg

But then the BIG BLOW, at the very VERY last stand no less, all of this next bunch. Look at this thing, it's the Hasemi Motorsports/Tomica Skyline R30 Super Silohuette <--- click, still Japan-made (I have a China-made version) and DISGUSTINGLY MINT. One buck.
yukjfg065.jpg

This would have been enough, but naaaah...

A Tomica Honda police motorcycle, which I had never seen. Take a close look, the wheels are metal. It's absolutely mint, no yellowed plastic nor chipped stickers. Another buck.
yukjfg069.jpg

yukjfg070.jpg

Same casting, but this be a bosozoku version, also mint and also a buck.
yukjfg071.jpg

yukjfg072.jpg

Then, this awesome pizza delivery thing, also absolutely mint and still sporting the guy inside. And also a buck.
yukjfg073.jpg

yukjfg074.jpg

In the group picture this one is missing because my wife liked it so much she kidnaped it to play with it a little and missed the picture, but it also came from that very same place that day. Dynapac roadroller, also Tomica.
yukjfg165.jpg

Please notice the ALL-METAL rollers.
yukjfg167.jpg

yukjfg168.jpg

Seat and steering wheels are separate pieces, and of course it's articulated right in the middle. And very minty, and also a buck.
yukjfg166.jpg

BUT! I've saved the really best for the very end, in the form of this amazing Mitsubishi FUSO.
yukjfg077.jpg

This freaking thing isn't a Tomica, but a Shinsei, also a Japanese company. It's bigger than a 1:64 car as you can see in the group picture, and it oozes detail:
yukjfg078.jpg

The cabin is articulated and flips forward to reveal a separate-piece chromed engine. The entire interior and gas tanks are also separate pieces.
yukjfg079.jpg

The Cement container is ALL-METAL, and of course, it turns around.
yukjfg080.jpg

Cement dumper (the vertical thing, I dunno what it's called in english) is also metal, and also articulated.
yukjfg081.jpg

Chasis is all-metal and very well detailed, you can see the simulated driveshaft and the Shinsei Mini Power scripting:
yukjfg082.jpg

yukjfg083.jpg

Rubber tires, duals in the rear:
yukjfg084.jpg

yukjfg086.jpg

Inside the cabin, the steering wheel is also a separate piece.
yukjfg085.jpg

And as you can see, it is ABSOLUTELY MINT.
yukjfg087.jpg

But the best part was the price. It was a massive THREE BUCKS. If you can find them on e-bay or the interwebz, it will cost you upwards of 40 dollars, so we can say I was damned lucky.

I'll soon post more stuff.

Cano
Dynapac roadroller, also Tomica.

Please notice the ALL-METAL rollers.

Seat and steering wheels are separate pieces, and of course it's articulated right in the middle. And very minty, and also a buck.

I have something that looks just like this. I'll post a picture. Of course its not mint to say the least.

Cool, a Tomica rip-off!!! it's the exact same casting, just with less detail and more plastic. Hahah, awesome. Rip-offs are cool.

Cano
Cool, a Tomica rip-off!!! it's the exact same casting, just with less detail and more plastic. Hahah, awesome. Rip-offs are cool.

It has a "Z" logo on the bottom. I can't figure out what company it is. :confused:

Yeah I see it too but who knows. There were several companies in the 80s that pulled off rip offs of other more stablished brands, and Tomica was one of the most counterfeited. It is still a valuable piece and quite cool in freak value alone. Keeep it well cared, as that is one of those pieces that, due to it's bootleg nature, no one documents. It might be valuable some day.

The '57 'Vette is from a 5-pack from around 2006-2007 that also included a '57 Thunderbird, '56 Lincoln Futura, Cadillac Eldorado and something else that I can't remember at the moment.

Cano
Yeah I see it too but who knows. There were several companies in the 80s that pulled off rip offs of other more stablished brands, and Tomica was one of the most counterfeited. It is still a valuable piece and quite cool in freak value alone. Keeep it well cared, as that is one of those pieces that, due to it's bootleg nature, no one documents. It might be valuable some day.

Too bad some pieces are broken off. :( I compared my pics to yours and found a few broken parts I didn't even know were broken.

That R30 Silhouette & the police bike's money. 👍 I still can't find my Playart Miura. :(

Hi guys

Sorry for not being able to post any pics - you have my work server to thank for that - it's crappy cos i have so many carsa that i think you guys would find interesting, but the only way i can upload any pics is into my albums... so if any are interested feel free to check it out. Anyways, did a bit of a Christmas shopping trip this Saturday, popped into the usual places i go to at this specific mall to check for Hot Wheels - they all came up duds - seems like the Christmas stock hasnt heralded new hot wheels for most of them - well not yet at least. Even Toys R Us didnt have anything interesting - just a few 3 packs with 2011 models - but all which i already have - or dont want. In this mall however, theres 2 full out toy shops - Toys R Us, and a smaller, more expensive place called the Toy Factory. Anyway - I popped in just on a quick browse and to my surprise, their stand where they usually have their hot wheels and matchbox displayed (which is also usually bare and just has a few old hot wheels and some matchbox cars) was recently stocked full! And to my surprise, there were a whole bunch of Hot wheels that i was really looking for - and all of them were there together! I dont know wheere these guys got their stock from - but there were at least over 100 new 2011 cars there. Anyways, i started going through the stand - and my eyes started lighting up at all the cars that i wanted, that I've only ever seen pics off. At this time there was also another collector that was on the prowl with his little son - but he seemed like a cool guy, and I passed him a Ken Marie (sp) Skyline and a Brasillia. I managed to pick up a Ken Marie Skyline (there were 2 on the stand), a green Brasilia, a Hot Wheels racing 69 Pontiac Firebird, a 69 Mercury Cougar, a 70 Camaro Road Race (Blue with hot wheels decals), a 70 Plymouth AAR Cuda and a Lamborghini Estoque. We're planning a Hot Wheel run this weekend - so we'll check this store out as well as their other branch to see what we can get. Although this store doesnt always have decent stuff - but they were the 1st store that had 2011 models earlier this year. Also they bumped up the price - so its costing 22 South african Rands for a hot wheel - they usually are between 15 to 20 Rands. Pic is in my album

Latest Posts

Back