1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,483 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
Found the Back to the Future Delorean yesterday, along with the Silver S2000 and the black Megane Trophy car. First time I've bought a hotwheels car in about a month.

I think my stores have been hiding or holding the T-Hunts. Target restocked and found nothing... Same goes with Toys'r'us about a week back. I really want to find one.

EDIT: Searched my neighborhood Rite-Aids and Walgreens, and they did have Hot Wheels!

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

And here's another car I painted. I don't really like how the paint came out, but you guys be the judge. I was thinking of repainting it red.

Before
2010_097.jpg

After
IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Last edited:
I stopped by this discount store today to see if they might have Hot Wheels and what do you know, they had 1997 to 2001 models. Each for $1.29. These were the best of the bunch. I remember having a Mini Truck just like the yellow one when I was younger, so that one was a must for me.

IMG_1678.jpg

I think my stores have been hiding or holding the T-Hunts. Target restocked and found nothing... Same goes with Toys'r'us about a week back. I really want to find one.

EDIT: Searched my neighborhood Rite-Aids and Walgreens, and they did have Hot Wheels!

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

And here's another car I painted. I don't really like how the paint came out, but you guys be the judge. I was thinking of repainting it red.

Before
2010_097.jpg

After
IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

I am jelly.

By the way M-POWER_FTW, you should have went with your plan of painting your Hakosuka red IMHO. And why did you replace teh rims, the original ones look good enough :crazy:

Anyways, you got a good collection mate, I am jelly.

By the way M-POWER_FTW, you should have went with your plan of painting your Hakosuka red IMHO. And why did you replace teh rims, the original ones look good enough :crazy:

Anyways, you got a good collection mate, I am jelly.

Yeah, I'm most likely going to repaint it red. Hopefully by this weekend it'll be done. As for the wheels, I guess I wanted to try something different.

Thanks, I think that was my last grab of Hot Wheels for a little while. I need to lay off the new ones and start going through eBay for older models. I actually just won an older model from 1990 and it should be here the end of this week or the beginning of next. Once I finish the Datsun, I'll post up both.

Last edited:
I stopped by this discount store today to see if they might have Hot Wheels and what do you know, they had 1997 to 2001 models. Each for $1.29. These were the best of the bunch. I remember having a Mini Truck just like the yellow one when I was younger, so that one was a must for me.

IMG_1678.jpg

I'll give you $2 for the Miata. :P

my only 2 matchbox cars :)

matchbox cars by smiglo, on Flickr

DSCF9006 by smiglo, on Flickr
:banghead: :D done my best, but clearly my best is not even close to be good enough however now I know what I done wrong so next time should be MUCH better

Looks like you need to remove teh bits instead of a repainting them again, if paint thinners can erase 'em.

New stuff in my collection:
Image1935.jpg
Image1937.jpg

In order, from left to right: Ferrari F430 Spyder, Dodge Challenger SRT8 Drift car, Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR, Acura NSX, BMW M3 E92 and Tyrrell P34. The Merc is from Maisto, everything else is from Hot Wheels.

Nice $uper!

Thanks. Took a while to find but totally worth it.

Heres one i'm gonna customize to look like my actual MK2 golf.
On a transporter right now. Rivet drilled out and ready for a respray....

11042011273-1.jpg

A brace of De Loreans, including the BTTF Time Machine....
11042011269-1.jpg

This is Carbonator. It doubles up as a bottle opener....
11042011255-1.jpg

And, some Beach Buggy variations....
11042011237.jpg

:@: $miglo. Seems the tape masking wasn't the best job. But, other than the running paint, it looks much better!

yeah I Know but I was sooo excited I rush it to much :dunce:

Happy Days! :D one day one shop

13/04/11 by smiglo, on Flickr
Nissan 350Z, Pontiac Firebird, Porsche 911 GT2, Honda S2000, Megane Trophy, Lamborghini Reventon Roadster, The Batmobile

I still haven't found the E92 M3. :(

Did pick up the new Hotwheels Porsche GT3 RS the other day though. :)

Exactly the other way around for me. I found both the red and the white M3, but can't find the GT3 RS.

my only 2 matchbox cars :)

matchbox cars by smiglo, on Flickr

DSCF9006 by smiglo, on Flickr
:banghead: :D done my best, but clearly my best is not even close to be good enough however now I know what I done wrong so next time should be MUCH better

eeek, such a mess. Don't want to sound harsh but you should have at least opened them if you were gonna try to brush-paint them. If you really want to fix them you will have to. Look, get a 1/4 metal thread for your drill and simply put the car belly up in a rag and start drilling exactly over the rivet, eventually the car will pop. Then give ONLY THE METAL PARTS some paint remover or throw them in thinner for a few days to remove both the brushed paint and the original paint. You may have to use a thooth brush to remove the paint that refuses to go. After you taake them out, wash them very VERY well with soap water to remove any trace of thinner or grease.

For the plastic parts that got stained by paint, you will need to clean them with alcohol or, at most, nail color remover, that green thing. Get a dab of cotton and remove all the paint you can. For the glass of the car, do not use the green thing, use only alcohol. When you have all the paint out, you'll notice your glass is dull now. A bit of car polish could take care of that. If not, you may have to sand it in order to make it bright and shiny again.

With the car in pieces it is way easier to paint them, even if you are gonna try the brush again, though you'd be better off with a cheap spray can, you'll have better results even if you don't primer the cars. The problem with trying to mask the cars with normal masking tape is that the paint comes in no matter what you do, you'd need Tamiya or some pro-grade masking tape to avoid the stains, but it's pretty expensive.

I'd give them another go and try to fix them up, both cars deserve it, they are both really nice castings and pretty old and somewhat rare.

Few more from me....

Mongoose & Snake VW Bus duo.....
11042011299.jpg

11042011298.jpg

11042011302.jpg

I've always liked those and the set they came in, but they aare pricey :crazy: some day maybe I'll chime in.

And I also have some of that Meyers Manx with the American Racing-like wheels, but they are wheel donors really:

5spoke.jpg

Back