1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,483 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
I cant help, but its so weird you're in Ohio. On the goodwill website...nearly all of the hotwheels related auctions all stem from there

I'm going to post up my flea market finds from a couple weeks ago in a couple hours. I hope you're happy Cano! :D

My flea market finds from a few weeks ago. Including two Schaper Stompers not pictured, I shelled out $12 for the lot. The condition is so so for a lot of them, but for 30 cents a piece, I dont mind. I did pay $2 for Tootsie Toys VW Thing and AMC Gremlin and $1 each for the stompers. (but those are $4-5 in this condition)

Cano - In the pics is a Yatming Cadillac Seville. Its another car, like the New York City car below, that was later produced w/o naming rights on the bottom. I have the newer version and I'll locate it tonight to do a side by side.

$12 for all that sutff is a freaking steal. Goes to show that if you know where to look, this hobby can be pretty cheap and rewarding. There are several cars in here that I'm still missing, specially the 80s Matchboxes. The red T-Bird is awesome.

Also, if you don't locate the Yatming Cadoo don't worry, I have the original with the name under it. At least for me a picture of the name-less one would be enough.

Keeping in that theme, I recently picked up a couple of Yatming and Tomica rip-offs, I'll put up some pics of them today... also, E-Bay came! So lots of cars to show off here.

I think I just checked the Toys R Us on Thursday, after receiving intel from M-Power? That's June 29th. On my way to the grocery store, I stop by the store again, just in case. Today is July 1st.

They are all gone, man. :crazy:

I enter the store, I head to the hot wheels section, and I see the cardboard stand. Score! But as I get closer, I see they are like half gone. I look at the leftovers, and I do see some appealing models, one of them being '71 Maverick R1600 posted a picture of. I've been planning on getting that one.

After I check the whole thing, I head over to the actual hot wheels on the hooks, all same old's. Then I head to where their old cardboard stand is(been scouting! lol), again, all old stock.

With just three musclecars in my hand, I head to the register, another tiny stock of hot wheels, then bam, I finally found one Skyline:

dscn0677y.jpg

I'm happy, but my ultimate goal was to find two Skylines(1 more to display at work), and one of them 240z's, so I was bit disappointed at the same time. I'm shocked that even with very good intel from M-Power, I almost didn't even get the leftovers. Hardcore!

P.S. I got the VW for my coworker. He's got bunch of VW toys in his cubicle, and also a owner of VW bug show cars. 👍

Edit: P.P.S. Thanks for the tip, M Power FTW. :)👍 I actually opened the Hakosuka, and it is sweet. :D

Edit2: I saw about 10 Back to the Future cars, literally. I can't believe I had to buy them online. :lol: I wish this was the case with the Ghostbusters car(thanks for that R1600 👍 ). That one, I never saw it in stores, not once.

Last edited:
Wow - diabolicwyvern - what a great bargain! Good Karma?

Well - here's a story.:
Hearing about the famous display box I take off to the nearest Toys "R" Us store during the weekend, head down to the 'Dinky Car' section and start nosing around - no box.
So I corner a sales associate and harass him about it:
"Where's the box? Blah, blah, treasure hunts, yadayada . . . " and so on, and he looks around furtively, like he's pushing dope and asks me: "You a collector?"
"Yah!" I say, chest puffed out and looking all VIP and everyrthing.
"Um. can you come back tomorrow?"
"Why?"
"Well . . . (he mentions a name) will be here tomorrow. He holds back the Treasure Hunts for collectors."
I'm standing there speecheless . . .
No. I didn't go back.
Seemed like duping to me.
I'll get them the stupid way. Nothing like the thrill of the find.
It's what makes life beautiful.

"Well . . . (he mentions a name) will be here tomorrow. He holds back the Treasure Hunts for collectors."

And THOSE are the stores I stay away from. He's not holding them for collectors, he's holding them for scalpers who sell them on eBay for a profit and don't give a rats 🤬 about collecting. 👎

welcome to the world of HW collecting, people, wherein Mattel creates series seemingly just to feed the black maarket.

I tell you what, if that happened to me, P.I.C. of that Toys R Us would have found out about how I felt about it. Later that night, their corporate would have received a email about it as well.

Scalpers, whether insider or outsider, many will do whatever they can do to gain the edge, I'm sure. I hate scalpers, because I used to like going to shows & games. Oh, well. With show & game tickets, the problem is easily preventable. With hot wheels, I don't really see any way around it, unless like Cano sort of suggested, Mattel can the limited editions.

Edit: P.P.S. Thanks for the tip, M Power FTW. :)👍 I actually opened the Hakosuka, and it is sweet. :D

Anytime, man. I'm glad you found some new cars, especially the Hakosuka. 👍

welcome to the world of HW collecting, people, wherein Mattel creates series seemingly just to feed the black maarket.

Exactly. Why would Mattel sell these cars for a $1 and change, just to have loads of scalpers sell these for more than 5-10x its original price?

I'm pretty sure they know what's going on, too.

Went to Toys'R'Us again today, the 4-Sided display was here. ;), But sadly, no Hakosuka, collectors must have gotten them before me. . . But at least I got that Mini!
p1020389mi.jpg

Anyways, Porsche 911 GT3 RS
p1020388o.jpg

Nissan Silvia S15
p1020391l.jpg

Shelby GT500
p1020392o.jpg

Nissan GT-R R32
p1020393t.jpg

McLaren F1 GTR Ver.
p1020394ty.jpg

And picked up a Tomica GTR R35
p1020396e.jpg

Are you taunting me, Ryou...? ARE YOU?! :mad:

Are there R32's that are bone-stock??? Meaning with no livery and goofy gigantic wings?

Are you taunting me, Ryou...? ARE YOU?! :mad:

Are there R32's that are bone-stock??? Meaning with no livery and goofy gigantic wings?

Maybe. . . ;) If you're into Ferrari's too, then I saw their own Hot Wheels line dedicated just to Ferrari, extra detailed Ferrari's. ;)

And about the R32, nope. :(

I will buy that GT3 and Mini off you if you saw more than one at your local store, because I never see 'em here.

I will buy that GT3 and Mini off you if you saw more than one at your local store, because I never see 'em here.

There were TONS of them at my local store, I would sell them for money. . . Damn, should have got more. . .

and a Bugatti Veyron.

th_KurokoSnap1.gif

edit: Double
th_KurokoSnap1.gif

I went to Toys R Us after work.. They had the biggest line up of HW than any other store I've been in. Yet, I only came home with this:

volkswagonsp2.jpg

ferrari458italiab.jpg

On the other hand, they had a handful of AEM NSXs, the S2000 I already have, and Exiges...

Last edited:
Stopped by the Toys 'R' Us today...I don't know why I didn't go sooner! There are SO many more cars than at the Wal-Mart and Target...there goes all my money. :ouch: I didn't have a lot of money so I had to leave a LOT of cars I would have bought...I pretty much went at the perfect time. The 4-sided display was there, and I nabbed the Skyline and light blue Stude truck from there. On the normal pegs I grabbed an orange Reventon, yellow 458, the Mini Challenge, a sweet Matchbox Lesney Volvo P1800S, and another Castline M2 restoration project car, a Road Runner. There was so much more than I would have walked out with if I had brought more money...several Brasilias, a lot more of the Castline and a lot of Greenlights, a Matchbox Shelby Cobra, all 3 colors of the Challenger Drift Car, 2 colors of the Chevy Nova including the sweet new light blue one, red and yellow Enzos, a white BMW M3 inside a 20-pack, a Lesney XK120, and so much more. I'll definitely be going back there. Pics will be up tomorrow.

I dunno Cano, it's a blessing and a curse...my first reaction when I saw the Greenlight/M2 section was "oh no..." because I can't resist those cars and they're $5-6 a pop... :ouch:

They make some nice one cars. I saw these M2 display cases at the store today. I thought they were cool, but they are supposed to mount with two screws from the bottom. I didn't think they worked on Hot Wheels or Matchbox, so I passed.

P.S. My favorite's been Johnny Lightning though. My type of models!

I dunno Cano, it's a blessing and a curse...my first reaction when I saw the Greenlight/M2 section was "oh no..." because I can't resist those cars and they're $5-6 a pop... :ouch:

Dude, when I find them here I can't resist them either but I have to, as they are NEVER less than 10 bucks here.

E-bay exists, of course, but come on...

Back