2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
Happy to see the cars that I wanted to win all won their classes*!!!

*I didn't pick any favorites for the PC class.

Also, kudos to IMSA for improving quite a bit, there were still some stupid calls but they seemed way less frequent.:cheers:

I think they got the message from Scott Atherton after Sebring. Also helps that they shuffled around the crew abit so we got people of far better competence running things.

Well, great start to the season. I hate that we didn't get the P2 DP battle I wanted, but it was a reliability risk to bring a P2 car to Daytona and it was simply a repeat of last year in those terms.

Overall, a far better race then last year and all the class winners deserved it. Now lets hope for an equally improved Sebring 12 Hours in about two months time.

One heck of a race! Congrats to Chip Ganassi Racing and Jamie McMurray.
Also Congrats to Corvette Racing for getting 2 podiums in GTLM and a top 5 overall.
And congrats to the winners of the PC and GTD classes.

It was a pleasure enjoying the race with all those who posted during this event. I'm off to get some much needed sleep.

Happy to see the cars that I wanted to win all won their classes*!!!

*I didn't pick any favorites for the PC class.

Also, kudos to IMSA for improving quite a bit, there were still some stupid calls but they seemed way less frequent.:cheers:

Who can blame you after seeing only a handful of hours and usually a PC car with an issue of some kind. I wouldn't want to pick a favorite from their either. As always proud that GTLM went to Corvette Racing.

Like most of the European audience I would've loved an LMP2 winner but having my favourite team win is the next best thing, hopefully Ganassi will retain the title with a P2 car next year...

Congrats to all who made it to the end the end and all those that gave everything trying. All in all a bit of a messy race quite a few moments of very amateur hour driving and from the RLM guys sketchy coverage.

Congrats to all who made it to the end the end and all those that gave everything trying. All in all a bit of a messy race quite a few moments of very amateur hour driving and from the RLM guys sketchy coverage.

I agree the coverage from RLM was below the usual level and driving was what seems to be the norm in this championship.

It was most likely the end of an era we just witnessed. The last time Ganassi won overall in the Rolex 24 in that Riley Daytona Prototype. A new chapter is most likely to began next year, the Ganassi Ford GT-GTE in GTLM.

And next year GTD goes FIA GT3! :D

I listened to That imsa radio post race thing, some very good points were brought up, two that caught my attention was,

"The TUSC needs support if North America is going to continue to have proper multiclass endurance racing as there is no longer an alternative"

I totally agree with that, TUSC has my support as this race is a quantum leap forward compared to the dogs breakfast it was in 2014,

Also, the technical director of imsa made some interesting points also, one of which has had me thinking, he says that imsa are in talks with the fia and the aco about the imsa prototype,
Clearly both forms of current prototype have their lovers and haters, but would P2 category benefit globally if it went the DP direction as oppose to the current P2 chassis? If they followed Corvettes path and brought in a rule where the DP has to resemble a road car somehow within the body work I think that may be a step in the right direction,

The biggest thing is that we need more manufacture support. In GTLM we have that in the factory Porsche, Ferrari (it's basically factory), Corvette and BMW teams with Aston being only in the NAEC. In GTD we have basically GT3 and next year we'll have full on FIA GT3 cars so that's good. The big thing is P. Prototype needs a stronger field, with a larger variety of manufactures and competitive teams. We need more people on board with it. I think that the P should just become LMP2, but that manufactures are allowed to put on road going car styled body work but ALSO allowed to even use said bodywork around the world as well.

One thing that they should consider is to grow the GTD and GTLM fields and move PC down a level and only include them at the NAEC races.

The downfall to that would mean interchangeable body parts across all P2 entries globally on all chassis, then what stop teams working out what body panels work best and just using assorted bits?

I wouldn't mind if they resurrected the LMP Evo idea for new LMP2 cars.

052309_9b.jpg

It would still provide the look that DP fans like while using more modern technology used in LMP cars.

That would have been the next point I'd have raised, I think the DP is a little mundane now,
Exactly. The Riley is clearly showing it's age, and the Corvette's are also even showing a bit of age even though they have some snazzy looking bodywork. I'm sorry DP guys buy it's OVER. The DP after 2016 is going to be retired, it was a good run but LMP2 is an international growing category that's like the GT3 of LMP cars. You have the HPD, Ligier, Morgan, Alpina and Oreca, with engines from Ford (coming soon possibly), Nissan, Judd (BMW) and Honda. The class is providing excellent racing and is fantastic to look at. The manufactures should just embrace LMP2, and if they REALLY want too, MAKE THEIR OWN LMP2. I'm sure the rules could be worked out to also include factory supported privateers.

GTE (GTLM) is going bonkers, and that's fantastic. We were thinking that GTE would need to be trashed but dang is it awesome! Gaining a few more newcomers in the next few years with Jaguar possibly coming along with maybe Mclaren, and later this year Ford.

GT3 (GTD) is the future of privateer sportscar racing, and it's growing stronger by the day. (Aston, Audi, Bentley, Mclaren, Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes, Ginetta, Nissan, Chevy-in a way, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and soon to come Jaguar)

LMP3...no idea. They look kinda cool and hopefully gentlemen drivers don't keep crashing them.

LMP1-H/L should be allowed to join the NAEC races. They keyword should be "invited". Nobody would complain...how cool would it be for an Audi or Nissan to come to Daytona? Or maybe all of them! :drool:
--------------------
If this season continues like this...next year after the race we could be talking about how much better can it possibly get.

Last edited:
The real question is has any of the partakers survived the "take a shot for each PC spin/crash" challenge? I know I would be out of action after 24 hours of their, let's use the word, skill.

Seriously though, I am still convinced that PC offers absolutely nothing except the apparently hefty wallets of its drivers. I say get rid of it, or at the very least limit it to only NAEC races. GTLM looks good and hopefully GTD will have greater manufacturer variety once it goes FIA GT3. P is the question mark for me. I would not be opposed to straight P2. I mostly just want to see one type of car in the class i.e. no imbalanced DP vs P2 mess. I know the DP is going away so it makes sense to just adopt the P2 standard. It sure looks like the end of an era with Scott Pruett in the Ganassi DP.

Daytona has left me hopeful (and eager) for the rest of the season. Much more than I could say last year at this time. 👍

Back