2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
Pole winning cars for the Rolex 24

The Shank Ligier HPD for Prototype
#4 Corvette for GT-LM.
A SpongeBob sponsored car got PC pole. :lol:
And the TRG Aston leading GT-D.

On a special note, @Christhedude put his Porsche 3rd in the GT-D class. :gtpflag:

thanks guys ! I was able to put the car in the lead during my double stint but we suffered a broken front splitter and eventually the gearbox and differential broke and ended our race :(

thanks guys ! I was able to put the car in the lead during my double stint but we suffered a broken front splitter and eventually the gearbox and differential broke and ended our race :(
You guys put up a good fight though. You did GTPlanet proud nonetheless. :)

I would love to see a DP based car go to LeMan's, I know the rest of the world is all about LMP based BUT that doesn't mean it always needs to be exactly that either. I like mixed cars within a class, as they were saying on the GTLM during the middle of the night, each car makes speed in different parts of the track which allows passing and not a this wait for a mistake or pit stop.

Granted, either way it doesn't really matter to me. I like the racing as a whole, as long as we have more P2 cars finishing and lasting.

I don't understand why people hate the DP's but love the P2's, in my opinion all current P2's look awful, they all run those stupid bug headlights. By contrast I think the Corvette DP looks awesome.

On another point I can actually tell the difference between a Riley and a Corvette DP whereas I couldn't tell the difference between any of the P2's.

Personally, I think the DP was a great conception but that since the merger it has perhaps lost its way. It's no longer 'cheap' to run one like it was in Grand-Am.

I guess you can't stop progression but I think it really needs more thought before adopting total P2 rules as then it just goes back to being the ALMS, a watered down version of the WEC.

I don't understand why people hate the DP's but love the P2's, in my opinion all current P2's look awful, they all run those stupid bug headlights. By contrast I think the Corvette DP looks awesome.

On another point I can actually tell the difference between a Riley and a Corvette DP whereas I couldn't tell the difference between any of the P2's.

Personally, I think the DP was a great conception but that since the merger it has perhaps lost its way. It's no longer 'cheap' to run one like it was in Grand-Am.

I guess you can't stop progression but I think it really needs more thought before adopting total P2 rules as then it just goes back to being the ALMS, a watered down version of the WEC.

Personally, I'm not that fond of any prototype post-Group C. If I had to choose between DP's and LMP2s it would always be LMP2. It might just be my general distaste in American race cars though.

Last edited:
Somebody NEEDS to put the Corvette DP engine inside the Ligier JS-P2. :drool: Or inside the new Straka Dome. :drool:

I'm okay with some manufacture styling on a LMP2, like a 1990's GT1 car.

Somebody NEEDS to put the Corvette DP engine inside the Ligier JS-P2. :drool: Or inside the new Straka Dome. :drool:

I'm okay with some manufacture styling on a LMP2, like a 1990's GT1 car.

Either I need my eyes or we see completely different styles in the LMPs. I honestly see more of a DP look out of those GT1 based cars than I do the LMP.

Simple people feel high and mighty when they show love for technological pieces that are international racers rather than the grass roots American Cars that run around with engines that are not too far off a series that is frequently visited by "rednecks" supposedly.

Simple speak: DP still has many ties that show up with NASCAR, by default most people who are high and mighty race fans hate NASCAR and anything associated with it. Thus there is no way that a car like that should have a chance at Le Mans. That's before we get into the somewhat outdated technology compared to FIA P2 cars. Also there was nothing wrong with ALMS it had a period of great racing that was then destroyed by Penske. Also the cars aren't that expensive...not sure where you're getting they're too costly. I'd say it's probably cheaper to run a DP car than a GTLM and then try to go to Le Mans with that same LM car and have to convert it slightly for WEC rules.

I personally find the DP and P2 mixed racing to be more exciting than P2 racing by themselves. It gives TUSCC a unique element that differentiates it from the European and Asian Le Mans series, as well as the WEC.

It reminds me of the late '90's when the WSC/LMP cars went head to head against GT1 machinery.

Sooo much better than last year's race, congrats to IMSA for improving in every single way. Actually looking forward to the rest of the season.

DPs at Le Mans would work if there was a class for them, but as is they don't fit in with any ACO categories. I'd love to see the 2017 IMSA prototype be more like a GT500/DTM style car, and be eligible for Le Mans.

Sooo much better than last year's race, congrats to IMSA for improving in every single way. Actually looking forward to the rest of the season.

DPs at Le Mans would work if there was a class for them, but as is they don't fit in with any ACO categories. I'd love to see the 2017 IMSA prototype be more like a GT500/DTM style car, and be eligible for Le Mans.

I believe we all know they don't fit into any ACO classes which is the whole point though, it isn't like they can't find a way to keep them around but be able to go to LeMan's in them. I just hope we don't have a huge field of all Lagier's and few others

I believe we all know they don't fit into any ACO classes which is the whole point though, it isn't like they can't find a way to keep them around but be able to go to LeMan's in them. I just hope we don't have a huge field of all Lagier's and few others
With the pool of new LMP2's in the works and currently out there (Oreca is making a new car, Alpina is planning a coupe, the Straka Dome is actually being finished) I think that this time LMP2 will be much more diverse. Not to mention with a whole bunch of new engine packages.

Why don't the new LMP2 manufactures offer the carbon tub and most of the bits (just missing the nose of the car and the rear engine cover), and then manufactures here in the states can provide the front and rear bits (along with the engine) of the LMP2? So like, a Ligier with a Corvette nose and tail along with a Chevrolet V8 or something? Then if that team wants to go to Le Mans they just lease the original front and rear bits from Ligier? So you have Corvette Ligier JS-P2's, Straka Dome Ford GT's etc.? This way, teams can go to Le Mans if they want with basically the same car, and the manufactures here in the states get the advertising they want. And we as fans win because LMP2 cars start multiplying like rabbits.

Last edited:
I didn't even know @Christhedude was racing. I would've been rooting for you guys!

Wait...wait...wait...wait...what? He actually raced? Really, like no joke?

That's awesome!

Yep. @Christhedude is Christopher Zochling. He drove the Konrad Motorsport Porsche in GTD.

Chris - I missed the first half of the race and your car was out by then, did you get a chance to drive?

shank_car.jpg
tusc-daytona-24-2015-2-extreme-speed-motorsports-hpd-arx-04b-honda-ed-brown-johannes-van-o.jpg

Really?

That HPD would have looked good in the Martini livery for Starworks had they gotten the car too.

Bro that's sad if you can't tell the difference between the gorgous Ligier and the funky (maybe a tad ugly) HPD.

To be fair, I don't recall Fox giving much air time to the HPD so it's possible he didn't get a good look at it.

Roo
Yep. @Christhedude is Christopher Zochling. He drove the Konrad Motorsport Porsche in GTD.

Chris - I missed the first half of the race and your car was out by then, did you get a chance to drive?

yes, I drove the start and a double stint so from 2 10pm to 4 30pm local time.

Soon I'll be able to officially announce my plans for this season, which should be quite good again :D

yes, I drove the start and a double stint so from 2 10pm to 4 30pm local time.

Soon I'll be able to officially announce my plans for this season, which should be quite good again :D
You'll be the one Porsche I ever root for. :D

To be fair, I don't recall Fox giving much air time to the HPD so it's possible he didn't get a good look at it.
Well if he means by TV then yeah that is a fair point...and the HPD wasn't on camera a whole lot because it was almost as slow as the Mazda's it seemed. Which was rather shocking. O_o

Well if he means by TV then yeah that is a fair point...and the HPD wasn't on camera a whole lot because it was almost as slow as the Mazda's it seemed. Which was rather shocking. O_o

But the Mazda led for a little bit :P

If the P2 body kits are available to anybody that wants to buy one and the costs are contained then it only helps the class moving forward.I can see the need in the future for a P-Pro and P-Am class in IMSA to keep the car counts up once the class is the future prototype.

Companies like Riley,Coyote,and Dallara should have a big advantage when it comes time to building a P2 car that will survive 24hrs at Daytona.

You'll be the one Porsche I ever root for. :D

This and this.

I barely saw the HPD's the whole time and when i did they were usually shots of them on the banking. In the photos shown i do admit they are quite different now :P

With respect to DP's being more expensive that is a fact, they cost more now than they did in Grand Am, sure maybe not as much as a GTLM but i wasn't comparing them to that. The quote below is from a recent autosport article:

"
There are other considerations, too. Mandating P2s in 2017 would mean major capital expenditure for the US teams. Wayne Taylor, whose eponymous squad topped the times in the pre-event Roar test earlier this month, points out that he has already made a significant investment in his machinery in three out of the past four years: the new Corvette bodywork came on stream in Grand-Am in 2012, there was the major upgrade of the DPs last year to make them significantly faster and, for 2015, a revised 'Vette aero shape.

He estimates his outlay to upgrade his Dallara and buy the required spares last year was $800,000 and asks how long can he keep on doing it. Good point."

With respect to DP's being more expensive that is a fact, they cost more now than they did in Grand Am, sure maybe not as much as a GTLM but i wasn't comparing them to that.

I would attributed the big increase mostly on the updates (Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Rear Diffuset, wider wing, new splitter, bodywork, etc). While the Rileys don't seem to be all that much different, they too have had upgrades. Really, P2 is looking to me the more cheaper option in the longrun because (at the moment at least), its rules package is stable and not much upgrading will be done and there's s slightly bigger variety to choose from (Ligier, Dome, HPD, Oreca) whereas DP is just Riley (DSG3) and Dallara/Coyote (Corvette).

If the P2 body kits are available to anybody that wants to buy one and the costs are contained then it only helps the class moving forward.I can see the need in the future for a P-Pro and P-Am class in IMSA to keep the car counts up once the class is the future prototype.

Companies like Riley,Coyote,and Dallara should have a big advantage when it comes time to building a P2 car that will survive 24hrs at Daytona.
The more the merrier. Like GT3 more diversity means more awesome. :D And I agree 100% with your P-Pro and P-Am idea. IMSA has almost a really good class roster, but having a murky class that's full of both Pro and Am teams. Same problem with GTLM. You either need one or the other in a class. GTD is the only class that is 100% okay and that we know what it is, a Pro-Am class. And with GT3 machinery it's absolutely perfect. LMP2 cars have a lot of Pro-Am teams, and if they want to be in they shouldn't be in the same class with Pro teams. GTLM should have ZERO Pro-Am teams however. GTLM should be reserved for factory GTE teams only. GTD is where Pro-Am teams should be, GT3 cars are perfect for them. In the end we need to cut PC as they get in the way of the entire field, 75% of them should be in a GT car not a prototype for God's sake. I know LMP3 is coming but we can't do this anymore. Not with TUSCC. I know ELMS is going to have LMP3 but that's their problem. I think that most PC drivers would be better off in a GT3 car or something (some of them shouldn't even be driving). We need a class structure like this:
P-Pro
P-Am
GTLM (GTE-Pro)
GTD (GT3 teams because some Pro-Am GT3 teams can compete with the Pro GT3 teams)

Had another great time at the Rolex!

Saturday I was at the track by 8:30. Watched the Ferrari challenge race at 9:30 in the International Horseshoe in the rain. Watched Scott Tucker wreck a few times and talked to a guy about his situation. I'm surprised he was able to get back on track so quickly.

Went through the garages and got a plethora of pictures. Talked to some guys at the autograph sessions. Finally got to meet Mike Hedlund in person. Very good guy.

The Daytona rising project is awesome! Excellent viewing of the infield and backstretch.

Some notes about the race itself:

1.) BoP looks really good.

2.) The DW was potent! But it didn't last.

3.) RG racing made it all the way to the end. Good result for those guys!

4.) Ganassi won, but its full season car is now behind in points. Will they bring the 02 to Sebring and beyond?

5.) Huge improvement this season with fire response on the backstretch. I remember that the 7 car burnt for a long time before anyone got there last year, but when the 54 car caught fire this season, it was put out much quicker.

6.) LMP2 chassis don't have nearly what it takes at Daytona. Shank was fast, but I don't think the 60 lead a lap. Reliability was a big issue for those cars with only 1 beating the GTD winner and that being the only car that was running at the finish. No amount of BoP can fix mechanical problems and new car teething issues. I don't expect much from the LMP2 chassis this season. Not enough teams running that style car and Shank is pro-am.

7.) Very high attrition in GTLM. Ferrari looked like it was the strongest, but engine problems and a stupid driver move cost them. Big error for Porsche as well. Literally Corvette and BMW were the only teams not to have catastrophic problems and that was the deciding factor with Corvette being the best.

8.) Viper dominance in GTD. That car had the infield of the Audi with the oval of the Ferrari.

9.) I don't like to talk down on any am driver especially if they're a good guy, but Scott Mayer needs to get where he can control the car.

10.) No stupid penalties or obvious mistakes by IMSA.

On another note: can we get rid of the stupid driver ratings already? Any system where Negri (Prototype pole sitter) is a am is a broken system.

Back