2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
You haven't read the regs have you? He hasn't won anything in ages and he's over 50.
Considering he won the Rolex 24 only 3 years ago, I'm not sure that's accurate. Also, I'm not questioning just him, I want the system itself changed(gotten rid of) in America. Did he magically become slow from last year to this year just by getting a year older? Does he now buy his seat? NO. That's what we generally think of as an amateur driver. Not just a highly experienced recent endurance race winner... I know under the current system, he is automatically an amateur regardless of pace. That's my problem. Get rid of a system that keeps young and experienced talent out of seats (which are incredibly limited in America compared to Europe). Guys like Ryan Eversley and Sean Rayhall who haven't really done anything to merit being a pro other than winning a few PC races last season in Sean's case are out of IMSA rides because of the ratings system.

Considering he won the Rolex 24 only 3 years ago, I'm not sure that's accurate. Also, I'm not questioning just him, I want the system itself changed(gotten rid of) in America. Did he magically become slow from last year to this year just by getting a year older? Does he now buy his seat? NO. That's what we generally think of as an amateur driver. Not just a highly experienced recent endurance race winner... I know under the current system, he is automatically an amateur regardless of pace. That's my problem. Get rid of a system that keeps young and experienced talent out of seats (which are incredibly limited in America compared to Europe). Guys like Ryan Eversley and Sean Rayhall who haven't really done anything to merit being a pro other than winning a few PC races last season in Sean's case are out of IMSA rides because of the ratings system.
He won a race, to be gold he has to win a championship or be in the top 3 of a major championship.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...RIVER CATEGORISATIONS REGULATIONS - v2-GS.pdf

He won a race, to be gold he has to win a championship or be in the top 3 of a major championship.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/basicpage/file/20141113/DRIVER CATEGORISATIONS REGULATIONS - v2-GS.pdf
I'm not arguing the rules within the system. You don't understand. I'm arguing that the system of classifying drivers is keeping professional racing drivers out of seats in America. The system fits Europe because there are tons of sports car and other racing seats out there by comparison to America. Teams with the budget are finding a driver ranked amateur with the speed of a pro and paying that driver to race as an amateur. That's nothing against the team for doing that, but it speaks volumes as to how much it hurts professional drivers. We can go case by case if you want, but the fact is: a true amateur driver is someone who buys his/her own seat (not including sponsorships) in a race. Ozz is being paid. John Pew pays his way. Both are ranked amateurs. System=broken and stupid

I'm not arguing the rules within the system. You don't understand. I'm arguing that the system of classifying drivers is keeping professional racing drivers out of seats in America. The system fits Europe because there are tons of sports car and other racing seats out there by comparison to America. Teams with the budget are finding a driver ranked amateur with the speed of a pro and paying that driver to race as an amateur. That's nothing against the team for doing that, but it speaks volumes as to how much it hurts professional drivers. We can go case by case if you want, but the fact is: a true amateur driver is someone who buys his/her own seat (not including sponsorships) in a race. Ozz is being paid. John Pew pays his way. Both are ranked amateurs. System=broken and stupid
I don't see how it would be keeping pro drivers out of the race seat, if they were good enough and can bring the money in then why not.

The data from the timing is showing some interesting things, 41 of the top 50 trap speeds were set by the 02 DP car,7 for the 01 DP,and the DW and the 5 DP were the other 2. "Star power" must be worth a few extra ponies ;), doesnt hurt the headlines either. 💡

I hope the guy that destroyed the 51 Ferrari wrote a big enough check. Looking at his lap times he was on average about 4.5 sec per lap slower than the rest of the GTLM drivers.

I don't see how it would be keeping pro drivers out of the race seat, if they were good enough and can bring the money in then why not.
Doesnt it help them too when they go to LeMans to have a "super silver"?

Edit-Negri won the Brazilian F3 title

Last edited:
That's the difference between America and Europe. All sponsorship goes to drivers who race on ovals in America...Unless you're in the vast minority.

I have no proof, but I bet Ozz (F3 title winner in Brazil as @IforceV8 points out) is a silver because Shank is thinking about Le Mans. It would be a hell of a lot easier to win if he could have a pro silver in the car. Then he can get A.J Allmendinger and Justin Wilson who are both amazing road drivers. Pew is no slouch himself. He's fairly quick for a gent, and they would have 3 pros along with him. That's a Le Mans contender right off the bat. I wouldn't be surprised if IMSA got the FIA to change Ozz for this reason because there were not going to be any LMP2 chassis in IMSA other than the Die-Activs basically becoming just like grand am was only now the DP is about twice the cost of what it was to race a full season. The Silver rating plus Oak/Onroak essentially making them a factory LMP2 team made them willing to swap. Once again, no proof on any of this, but it all makes sense

They really shouldn't be in Prototypes (even that dinky FLM-09)...not bronze drivers anyway. Not with all that power and little weight...and no ABS or TC.

Hey I just wanna share some of this:
HYLyQM.jpg

TqOMCO.jpg

JdRCFv.jpg

Iu4Vww.jpg
Many errors on turn 1.
GmEGWD.jpg

a0EyfL.jpg

IIw3YG.jpg

KIjLCN.jpg

KCQOqs.jpg

It was a very fun and tight race!!!

They really shouldn't be in Prototypes (even that dinky FLM-09)...not bronze drivers anyway. Not with all that power and little weight...and no ABS or TC.
I agree fully that abs and tc shouldn't be on any Prototype. I think it's all about the driver. During the opening stint of the 24, Ricky Taylor and Richard Westbrook had no tc on their Vettes and still held pace especially Ricky. That's what I like to see. Pro drivers wheeling angry, fire breathing, low downforce, and high horsepower brutes around at full speed. I'm fine with guys who pay for their ride (actual amateurs) in Prototype, but they must show that they have control in traffic not making them a hazard for all the people around them. I know the RG DP made a stupid move in the bus stop pulling back on the track with traffic nearby which hurt the Risi Ferrari if I'm not mistaken (granted the Risi Ferrari made 2 equally if not more stupid moves last season) I think anyone should be allowed to compete anywhere, but those rich am guys need to be at least aware of surroundings (AF Corsa incident...that made me sick after I saw the replay)

@Shinshiki Yea I was there! I went to Petit last fall too. I plan on going again. You going?

Not just Oz, but look at Guy Cosmo! He's worth 6 tenths to any car he gets in, and he's always lucked out in securing a manufacture deal, hence no championship,

The data from the timing is showing some interesting things, 41 of the top 50 trap speeds were set by the 02 DP car,7 for the 01 DP,and the DW and the 5 DP were the other 2. "Star power" must be worth a few extra ponies ;), doesnt hurt the headlines either. 💡
Ganassi's had really good top end all weekend with their new engine.

Ganassi's had really good top end all weekend with their new engine.
They ran the same engine package all of last season. It makes the top end power because it's a turbo rather than the low-middle torque that the Chevy V8 has

Gainsco, SRT, Pickett.....
Pickett sold his company. He's not racing anywhere again. Nothing to do with the series.

Gainsco had the horrible crash and with rules uncertainty, they're waiting and racing a Hyundai.

SRT was canceled by Chrysler/Fiat. Nothing to do with the series

Pickett sold his company. He's not racing anywhere again. Nothing to do with the series.

Gainsco had the horrible crash and with rules uncertainty, they're waiting and racing a Hyundai.

But still, the field would have had a lot more depth in it if they were there,

Anyone think that either of these are possible for Gainsco next year or the year after?
- Buys a Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3 car for GTD
- Buys a used Corvette C7.R for GTLM
- Buys a Ligier LMP2 for P
- Buys a PC car
- Stays in PWC

Anyone think that either of these are possible for Gainsco next year or the year after?
- Buys a Mclaren 650S GT3 for GTD
- Buys a PC car
- Stays in PWC

Right off the bat, I guarantee that won't happen.

Is Turner in it for the whole season or just NAEC?

But still, the field would have had a lot more depth in it if they were there,
Yea true. Not to mention the demise of Scott Tucker and his pay day loan situation. He raced the Ferrari challenge support races Friday and Saturday morning. I don't think too many people miss him though.

- Buys a PC car
- Stays in PWC

Stallings will be in PWC until 2017. I can bet he'll be doing something more in 2017. Count out the ATS-V for GTD. I'm sure that'll be Stevenson that gets to do that. Count out the Vette GTLM. They're not selling customer cars unless they pull a 180 on what GM does. I doubt they'll go PC because no one knows what's happening there. Doubt he gets any kind of LMP2 now because those regs will completely change in 2017.

Dyson and NGT.
Was Dyson even still a legit team? Their LMP1 had the reliability of the Delta wing if not worse. I didn't think they were any good for a while. I do have a hunch they'll bring some Bentley's to the Rolex 24 next year with full GT3 regs in GTD

Back