2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
If anything, putting them last is abit extreme. Shouldn't the most positions a team loses for that be two or three instead of just dropped down?

As questionable as this is, we didn't get a race to the finish affected by a odd decision so I'm not quite ready to jump on IMSA just yet.

Edit: Explanation by Barfield:

“Looking at it, we haven’t actually had an overage in the maximum drive time, in the years I’ve been I’ve been involved,” IMSA Race Director Beaux Barfield told Sportscar365. “So there wasn’t a precedent and we looked at it and thought the penalty that we had established as a standard was out of line with the type of violation we’re dealing with, so we’ve adjusted it accordingly.”

We can just blame Beaux Barfield for this. He wasn't enforcing the rule, and the moment he leaves to go back to Indycar, the rule is enforced like it should have been.

Edit: Got him confused with Brian Barnhart. Those friggin initials...

Last edited:
IMSA that's strike one. :odd:

So they finished last but got 2nd place points?
Barfield(I think it was him as race director back then) did the same thing to MSR in 2013 when they had an illegal engine part; however, they got 0 points after penalty even though they're scored as 3rd. Walters did the same thing to Conquest at Petit in 2012 for a drive time violation which was only like 2 minutes over. Whinemer Handsome had to bitch about it publicly to social media too.

If I were making the rulebook, I would do drive time penalties based on the time over/under. I would have excluded the 10 car from scoring the 17 minutes JT went over. In Turner's case last season, I would have added the delta Paul Dalla Lana didn't drive to the end of their race last season when Walters gave them 0 points

Barfield only joined IMSA in late September of last year.
Whoever the race director at Grand am was in 2013. Probably Walters. He made a lot of people mad this past season too. I'm glad Barfield is here. He's the 2nd worst possible with Walters being the worst.

What's so bad about Barfield? He did a pretty good job with IndyCar, granted the bar was laying on the ground so it didn't take much.

More like the bottom of the Mariana Trench. :lol:
Yea Walters handed out 1000 dollar fines very frequently all last season, and the officials would tell the teams just to take it when the teams would ask for an explanation. I know that's not a large amount per say, but it was certainly time for a change. I'm not a huge fan of Barfield, but he's certainly more towards how I would run the race even though he already has changed the rules post infraction

http://www.racintoday.com/archives/49439#more-49439

Stallings doesn't think GM is going to stay in P in 2017. If they don't stay and Ford goes strictly to GTLM, we can all kiss prototype racing in America goodbye. IMSA has to keep the American manufacturers willing to build engines and support teams racing their engines. Imagine if GM and Ford left the P class right now. That leaves 4 full season P class entries with 3 of them being capable of finishing 1/3 the races

:lol:

error-png.304305

Ah fox, still screwing things up.

http://www.racintoday.com/archives/49439#more-49439

Stallings doesn't think GM is going to stay in P in 2017. If they don't stay and Ford goes strictly to GTLM, we can all kiss prototype racing in America goodbye. IMSA has to keep the American manufacturers willing to build engines and support teams racing their engines. Imagine if GM and Ford left the P class right now. That leaves 4 full season P class entries with 3 of them being capable of finishing 1/3 the races

So you think just because those two leave P, it automatically means no more prototype racing in the US? Sorry, but you're starting to sound the "Buy American!!" crowd that still hopelessly exist at NASCAR races.

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    390.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
And even if that somehow managed to pull apart P (which I highly doubt would happen...there's a massive pool of LMP2 stuff out there)...why not throw out PC and just make a GTE/GT3/GT4 series? Would that really be so bad? Heck they could even replace P with that new "Class 1" thing in 2017 and invite those teams to the NAEC races. A giant GT series would be really cool, I mean, there's one in Japan that does well, or so I've heard. :P :sly:

But big deal if GM and Ford aren't in P...were either of them in ALMS LMP2? No. Were either in Indycar before (discounting Champcar/and pre-merger) 2012? No. Did either suffer without them? No. Does the fan base care if Ford or GM aren't in one of the classes? Highly doubt so. That's the whole point of sportscar racing...choices. Manufactures and fans alike.

Last edited:
That article is funny,if Bob's corporate teat was telling him that figure 8 racing is the future I bet he would have told everybody about it's rabid fan base.

And even if that somehow managed to pull apart P (which I highly doubt would happen...there's a massive pool of LMP2 stuff out there)...why not throw out PC and just make a GTE/GT3/GT4 series? Would that really be so bad? Heck they could even replace P with that new "Class 1" thing in 2017 and invite those teams to the NAEC races. A giant GT series would be really cool, I mean, there's one in Japan that does well, or so I've heard. :P :sly:

But big deal if GM and Ford aren't in P...were either of them in ALMS LMP2? No. Were either in Indycar before (discounting Champcar/and pre-merger) 2012? No. Did either suffer without them? No. Does the fan base care if Ford or GM aren't in one of the classes? Highly doubt so. That's the whole point of sportscar racing...choices. Manufactures and fans alike.
There's no "massive pool of LMP2 stuff out there" that's in America. How many teams from places other than America would come over and race? Why would they when there's an ELMS and AsLMS that's much cheaper and closer to home? That doesn't even count the WEC. The sports car series market has too many options for teams to come here. Unless Hpd, Mazda, Onroak, and Panoz can support double what they have currently, teams are headed to PC/GTD/PWC if GM and Ford pull out of P. That is, unless different manufacturers step in to develop. Nissan hasn't supported a car since Pickett's half assed attempt at an entry. BMW doesn't even support the BMW engines in P. That's all Dinan. Not sure what would possibly come in 2017, but I'd rather plan to keep what's here than rely on others to show up

And since the ALMS separated the LMP classes, both have been lackluster at best on entry lists, so that's not really a good argument. Had Ferrari had better customer service, there would not have been any LMP2 in the ALMS in 2013. Meanwhile GM and Ford were supporting a growing DP field in 2013. Numbers can't be argued, and Euro teams/manufacturers weren't coming in droves back then either.

There's no "massive pool of LMP2 stuff out there" that's in America. How many teams from places other than America would come over and race? Why would they when there's an ELMS and AsLMS that's much cheaper and closer to home? That doesn't even count the WEC. The sports car series market has too many options for teams to come here. Unless Hpd, Mazda, Onroak, and Panoz can support double what they have currently, teams are headed to PC/GTD/PWC if GM and Ford pull out of P. That is, unless different manufacturers step in to develop. Nissan hasn't supported a car since Pickett's half assed attempt at an entry. BMW doesn't even support the BMW engines in P. That's all Dinan. Not sure what would possibly come in 2017, but I'd rather plan to keep what's here than rely on others to show up

And since the ALMS separated the LMP classes, both have been lackluster at best on entry lists, so that's not really a good argument. Had Ferrari had better customer service, there would not have been any LMP2 in the ALMS in 2013. Meanwhile GM and Ford were supporting a growing DP field in 2013. Numbers can't be argued, and Euro teams/manufacturers weren't coming in droves back then either.
:boggled:

I'm gonna guess he missed the part where Oreca has setup shop in the US.
Last I checked, Oreca doesn't have the money to shoulder the loss of the GM and Ford. They don't make engines, and they have zero chassis in the P class currently.

Latest Posts

Back