2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
The entire PC class is Oreca FLM09.

Which are also old cars that ORECA still services and fixes and supports (heck with engine and safety upgrades just this year) despite the numbskulls in the driving seat.

Let's be real for a minute...every DP team right now is questionable not because of the manufactures, but having a choice between a GT3 or LMP2 car (GTD or staying in P) come 2017. Because their car is going to be (as a whole) ineligible to run. So they have a decision of where to invest their money looming. Look at Shank for crying out loud. He was a DP and Ford faithful but made the big decision to go to an HPD powered Ligier. Manufacture ties in P aren't that deep.

Last edited:
Look at Shank for crying out loud. He was a DP and Ford faithful but made the big decision to go to an HPD powered Ligier. Manufacture ties in P aren't that deep

That's because when you compare Shank to Ganassi with manufacturing ties he was barely on the playing field, he knows what he has to do to be competitive and he knows what he has to put in place to remain competitive in the future,

That's because when you compare Shank to Ganassi with manufacturing ties he was barely on the playing field, he knows what he has to do to be competitive and he knows what he has to put in place to remain competitive in the future,
Yes but he had been with Ford for years. Just like those other DP teams with the Corvette bodywork. They aren't necessarily tied at the hip with P&M/GM. If GM isn't their they'll just find find another car or specification and car to run. Maybe even the Caddy GT3 car for GTD. P has other problems than Ford/GM not being in it...which makes no 🤬 difference. When ALMS was at their high point (2007-2010) even then there was no Ford/GM competition in LMP1 or LMP2. Because they chose GT2 (GTE...GTLM...whatever it is). P's problem is a class full of cars that are going to be sold off in 2 years time...or less even. The LMP2 type entries are set, while the DP chassis guys have a HUGE decision to make. If Dallara, Riley and Coyote come up with LMP2's then they could at least maybe trade in the old DP.

Last edited:
The entire PC class is Oreca FLM09.
The spare market in PC is quite high. Watch any IMSA race. They're not sponsoring anyone.

Let's be real for a minute...every DP team right now is questionable not because of the manufactures, but having a choice between a GT3 or LMP2 car (GTD or staying in P) come 2017. Because their car is going to be (as a whole) ineligible to run. So they have a decision of where to invest their money looming. Look at Shank for crying out loud. He was a DP and Ford faithful but made the big decision to go to an HPD powered Ligier. Manufacture ties in P aren't that deep.

Shank swapped because he was going to have to eventually and with the new Trueman/Akin award, it allows him to have a shot at Le Mans. Pew has the money, and Negri got his coveted ******** silver rating because he got a certain age. Plus, HPD wanted a team in IMSA, and they were willing to more/less sponsor him with development and stuff. Essentially the budget they put into helping Oak last season is now put into Shank. He knows what he needed to do in order to stay competitive like what @TDZdave said.

Yes but he had been with Ford for years. Just like those other DP teams with the Corvette bodywork. They aren't necessarily tied at the hip with P&M/GM. If GM isn't their they'll just find find another car or specification and car to run. Maybe even the Caddy GT3 car for GTD. P has other problems than Ford/GM not being in it...which makes no 🤬 difference. When ALMS was at their high point (2007-2010) even then there was no Ford/GM competition in LMP1 or LMP2. Because they chose GT2 (GTE...GTLM...whatever it is). P's problem is a class full of cars that are going to be sold off in 2 years time...or less even. The LMP2 type entries are set, while the DP chassis guys have a HUGE decision to make. If Dallara, Riley and Coyote come up with LMP2's then they could at least maybe trade in the old DP.
The engine support on the Vette DPs are pretty damn important. Take that away, we lose those guys. Ganassi may be gone for good with Ford. I personally think that the current LMP2 cars will be worth nothing come 2017. I bet we have a base chassis like what DTM/Super GT has that can be bodied by any manufacturer with brand specific bodywork or similar to what Riley did with the Gen 3 DP or a LMP2 with the Zytec, HPD, Ligier, HPD, etc. kits available

That's what I said a couple weeks ago basically, that the 2017 IMSA P cars will be the LMP2's sold by various companies minus the nose and tail so that manufactures can slap on silhouettes to them with whatever engine they choose. At any rate I think quite a few P teams jump for GTD in 2017. Though I believe WTR will just buy an LMP2 for Le Mans as he did say he'd want to have WTR at Le Mans (not a partnership). Either way I'm predicting around 10 cars for P come 2017. Which is good enough frankly.

Once GTD becomes full on FIA GT3 regulation cars (without any changes) the numbers are going to sky rocket (at the NAEC races especially). K-Pax mentioned possibly going to Daytona in 2016 a couple months ago.

That's what I said a couple weeks ago basically, that the 2017 IMSA P cars will be the LMP2's sold by various companies minus the nose and tail so that manufactures can slap on silhouettes to them with whatever engine they choose. At any rate I think quite a few P teams jump for GTD in 2017. Though I believe WTR will just buy an LMP2 for Le Mans as he did say he'd want to have WTR at Le Mans (not a partnership). Either way I'm predicting around 10 cars for P come 2017. Which is good enough frankly.
10 is more than we have now. Without Chevy or Ford, I predict 5 or 6 max full season with maybe 10 at Daytona which is pretty low

Here's what I think of 2017 P:
Mazda - 2 cars
Deltawing - 1 car
MSR - 1 car
WTR - 1 car
Starworks - 1 car (Could still possibly have an HPD for them by then)
AXR - 1 car (I think they are big enough to convert to LMP2)
Spirit of Daytona - 1 car (They haven't always been Chevy and they've become large)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 8

2017 is two years from now so anything is possible. I've got the wildcards of SMP and Andretti. Especially Andretti is the Nissan PWC thing falls through.

Last edited:
Glad GT-D is going full on GT-3, but I don't want DP to completely dissapear, I just want them to evolve to more current technologies. I've always said and still stand by them going to the DTM/Super GT chasis along with the P2 cars.

Jav
Glad GT-D is going full on GT-3, but I don't want DP to completely dissapear, I just want them to evolve to more current technologies. I've always said and still stand by them going to the DTM/Super GT chasis along with the P2 cars.
What could end up happening is that IMSA uses those Class 1 regulations (that DTM/GT500 merger) for a new "P" class come 2017. I mean the regulations basically call for "fire breathing dramatic 4 cylinder Turbos", and manufactures get the silohette thing they dream of...and the class is spec everything except the aero package pretty much IIRC. And since GM and Ford have 4 cylinder turbos I wouldn't be surprised if they liked using the Class 1 regs for P. Name it GTP maybe? :gtpflag: It isn't so far fetched. IMSA wants an American DTM or some sort of series to use Class 1 regs...so why not replace P with it? Plus for the NAEC races DTM or SuperGT teams may come via BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Nissan, Lexus and Honda possibly.

Jav
That's what I want. I would make the DTM/Super GT chassis mandatory for all cars in P. I would keep it open to all types of engines. Production based models along with purpose built race engines. Neither is consistently cheaper, so allow both. Brand specific bodywork with standard bases too. Less aero with more power. I'd allow anything from twin turbo 4 cyl to the standard 5.0L V8 and even a Viper or Lamborghini based V10 be in there as well. Of course, BoP would be needed. You have to have different sounds. 10 V8s is just as boring as 10 4 Cyl twin turbos

That's what I want. I would make the DTM/Super GT chassis mandatory for all cars in P. I would keep it open to all types of engines. Production based models along with purpose built race engines. Neither is consistently cheaper, so allow both. Brand specific bodywork with standard bases too. Less aero with more power. I'd allow anything from twin turbo 4 cyl to the standard 5.0L V8 and even a Viper or Lamborghini based V10 be in there as well. Of course, BoP would be needed. You have to have different sounds. 10 V8s is just as boring as 10 4 Cyl twin turbos
I got tree'd.... :lol:

I think that if IMSA took Class 1 and allowed different engines it could work really well (maybe match the rough performance of the 4T that the rest of the Class 1 cars will use maybe). Plus they get American DTM they want and in their premier series.

I got tree'd.... :lol:

I think that if IMSA took Class 1 and allowed different engines it could work really well (maybe match the rough performance of the 4T that the rest of the Class 1 cars will use maybe). Plus they get American DTM they want and in their premier series.
If American DTM ever happens, I'll be floored.

Let klasse 1 happen first before making rapid assumptions about the racing quality of that spec

We're desperate okay? :lol: XD
We're not desperate. IMSA could do that without Class 1 ever happening. In fact, that would be very proactive and excellent. IMSA above all, needs to do what's best for itself first before anything else

We're not desperate. IMSA could do that without Class 1 ever happening. In fact, that would be very proactive and excellent. IMSA above all, needs to do what's best for itself first before anything else
IMSA proactive? :lol:

IMSA proactive? :lol:
If IMSA did that, they would become the worldwide leader in sports car prototype safety. I think they could also mandate extra side impact safety for GT3 cars in its GTD class too, and that would be another area of becoming a world leader in safety. We've seen the safety initiatives taken in PC this season with the Zylon on the leg area. That's a small step, but I think that if management acts correctly(not confident they will), they could really have something to show for itself.

If you guys haven't seen how lackluster the side impact safety is in GT3 machines, it's bad. Walk through the garage at a race and see how horrible it is

If Class 1 comes, I hope they name it GTO...

24753569.kpzpDrM6.jpg

I think there will always be a desire for a prototype class, though. And while it may look like plenty of teams are set to leave P, there's always the possibility of more joining (and not coming from Europe, either), since the opportunity to buy a car the first year out and run it for the maximum lifespan of the chassis would be optimal for many teams to join.

I vote GTP...because :gtpflag:. The interesting thing is that Class 1 might actually bring back the old GTO days to an extent when/if it does come. Plus since DTM/GT500 cars pull lap times around the LMP2 mark it'd be appropriate, a GT Prototype.

Trans am exists again, and is throwing up great racing,
Yes it does. All of their races are online too which is great.

Mark Raffauf was on SCU this week, and he said that in 2017, the P class car will be as interchangeable just like the Group C/GTP was back in the 80s/early90s. Gives both what's needed. I like that.

And to the issue of pit stop safety, here's a great perspective

jjvincent.PNG

Latest Posts

Back