2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
Are you ready for the next 3 months of 1 P2 vs 5 DP cars? (not counting the skyINactiv's)
A quick car count for Long Beach I can only come up with 16 cars- DP 01,5,10,31,90- P2 60- and the 07-70 and 8 GTLM's - 3,4,17,24,25,62,911,912
Well I'm more talking about the officiating during the actual race.

The P field is quiet depressing with a bunch of old DP's...which are EXTREMELY long in the tooth now (the Riley looks like it's 20 years old...nobody can argue with that). However I like the action in GTLM and GTD so it makes up for it. But yes it's kinda disappointing GTLM has such a small number.

Look guys, we get it. There is not a lot of P2 cars against a field of five DPs (Of which, only four are realistically ever going to win the championship. The first two races were endurance races for crying out loud, one of which I'm sure wasn't what the Ligier wasn't designed for (unlike the DPs it went against). Lets get to the sprint races before we right this off as another DP fest. That's four races in a row that has shown the Ligier is fast enough to compete so its not over.

Look guys, we get it. There is not a lot of P2 cars against a field of five DPs (Of which, only four are realistically ever going to win the championship. The first two races were endurance races for crying out loud, one of which I'm sure wasn't what the Ligier wasn't designed for (unlike the DPs it went against). Lets get to the sprint races before we right this off as another DP fest. That's four races in a row that has shown the Ligier is fast enough to compete so its not over.

Which circuit shouldn't the ligier be competitive at out of the last 2?

It should be the fastest car from here on out. Shank just has Pew who is a gentleman driver which will put them at a disadvantage.

Just imagine if Fitti, Barbosa, and Bourdais had an AXR Ligier at Sebring. It would've been as boring as watching Audi run circles around Pickett and Dyson

He specifically said: "the Ligier wasn't designed for"

And what he meant was that it's doubtful Ligier designers even considered the unique circumstances at Daytona, whereas the Daytona Prototypes... well... it's all in the name isn't it?

He specifically said: "the Ligier wasn't designed for"

And what he meant was that it's doubtful Ligier designers even considered the unique circumstances at Daytona, whereas the Daytona Prototypes... well... it's all in the name isn't it?

Yeah, but other then the high banks, its still a high speed circuit like Le Mans where straight line speed is a must, its not the chassis its the power plant that lets it down,

The Ligier was faster on a clear track at COTA last year but struggled in traffic and the pole sitter was passed and then squished between two DP's at turn 1. The BoP is the same so I would expect to see a Shank-Ganassi front row at LB and when they get to the fountain the 60 will either be 3rd or stuffed into the wall at turn 1.

Jav
I don't know if I'm searching wrong, but has IMSA uploaded the race to Youtube already?

I don't think so, I was looking around 6 hours ago and only found the qualifying session, I've also checked fanschoice.tv and nothing there either

Jav
And...just like that they upload them all at once!
IMSA!!? You looking at this thread!!!?
:embarrassed:

Hahahaha, yeah I seen that, cant wait to watch,

Edit, I was looking at the 2014 broadcast :dunce:

I still cant find them @Jav, where did you find them?

Edit #2, nevermind, found it,

Last edited:
It's uploaded now guys, just to remind you!
Have watched the whole race!

Was uploaded last week lol, was a fantastic race, we really do need more GTLM though,

And those caution periods really need to be revised,

Perhaps 2 safety cars like at Le Mans?

Was uploaded last week lol, was a fantastic race, we really do need more GTLM though,

And those caution periods really need to be revised,

Perhaps 2 safety cars like at Le Mans?
Well...at Le Mans yeah because it's a large circuit. I think we need a code 60 rule or something. Anything but full blown SC periods they keep throwing for a car that stops...but 3 seconds later starts moving.

I think the biggest problem is the pit stops, which are too NASCAR-ized.

Here is how they should be ran in my view:

-Have the pits open to everyone under a safety car unless the incident is by pit road.
-Even though the pits are open, only fuel may be added during these pit stops.

-Have the pits open to everyone under a safety car unless the incident is by pit road.
There is...or was...a petition going around from the teams for FIA/ACO style Le Mans stops...and we desperately need them. It's an endurance series not a sprint series IMSA. :indiff:

Plus it could attract privateers from Europe for the big events like Sebring and Daytona. Especially when we get FIA spec GT3 in GTD next year.

There is...or was...a petition going around from the teams for FIA/ACO style Le Mans stops...and we desperately need them. It's an endurance series not a sprint series IMSA. :indiff:

No thank you, I'll take my Burnouts from pit lane as I've been enjoying since the ALMS and Grand-Am days.

How the stops are "NASCAR-ized"?

They close the pits and don't open them until after a few caution laps have been completed, than they have to run two more laps to let everyone pit. It's just unnecessary unless the incident takes place near the pits.

No thank you, I'll take my Burnouts from pit lane as I've been enjoying since the ALMS and Grand-Am days.

No...by Le Mans I mean shut down for fuel, tires, and fire it up. THEN firey burnout out of the pitbox.

To directly quote Kevin Doran whose crew member got hit while pitting the 50 "No amount of rules can fix stupidity. The only thing that needs to be done is less pit rules."

And I believe that there was a 5 minute penalty given for spinning the tires leaving the pits at Le Mans this past year when speeding was a pass through. Plus, the FIA tracks have a painted line preventing a car from hitting the crew members whereas all IMSA tracks have a concrete wall.

IMSA safety>>FIA/ACO safety

To directly quote Kevin Doran whose crew member got hit while pitting the 50 "No amount of rules can fix stupidity. The only thing that needs to be done is less pit rules."
It's not about issues involving the crew, while it's is also that. These pitstops have ZERO strategy involved. What incentive is there to double stint tires and go fuel only?

And I believe that there was a 5 minute penalty given for spinning the tires leaving the pits at Le Mans this past year when speeding was a pass through. Plus, the FIA tracks have a painted line preventing a car from hitting the crew members whereas all IMSA tracks have a concrete wall.

IMSA safety>>FIA/ACO safety

As usual you ignore the point. You guys don't even switch engine off for refuelling. If a car is damaged it is difficult to get out the way as it cannot be wheeled back into the garage.

As usual you ignore the point. You guys don't even switch engine off for refuelling. If a car is damaged it is difficult to get out the way as it cannot be wheeled back into the garage.
Exactly. 99% of American tracks are HORRIBLY outdated and stuck with ridiculous NASCAR pitlanes which are useless for endurance racing. Have to take the bloody car all the way to the infield instead of rolling it into the garage. COTA is the only American track that is modern and that's kinda sad. But then again most track owners probably don't have the money to upgrade so...

The FIA can be questionable, but when it comes to rules and safety they are the world standard and IMSA is foolish for not just using their system.

Last edited:
Imagine if there were no pit walls and the mistimed release had happened with the 16 car but the Krohn car entering the pit. Without a proper pit wall, the entire crew would have been hit. Are we worried about moving broken cars to the garage or people getting hit? Whichever is more important is the way to do it. Totally an opinion.

It's not about issues involving the crew, while it's is also that. These pitstops have ZERO strategy involved. What incentive is there to double stint tires and go fuel only?
If it's a splash and go towards the end of the race. See half the grand am ever. Plus, Conti builds tires that really aren't worth double stinting anyway.

There's always the strategy to short fill under yellow for track position and put the stop on the tire changers. I watched Starworks gain 10 seconds at Barber 2012 utilizing that strategy in the last hour and a half of that race by utilizing strategy.

Imagine if there were no pit walls and the mistimed release had happened with the 16 car but the Krohn car entering the pit. Without a proper pit wall, the entire crew would have been hit. Are we worried about moving broken cars to the garage or people getting hit? Whichever is more important is the way to do it. Totally an opinion.

The entire crew? Only the refuelling person and jackman are working on the car when it initially enters.

If it's a splash and go towards the end of the race. See half the grand am ever. Plus, Conti builds tires that really aren't worth double stinting anyway.

Tyres that are pretty pathetic for an endurance series.

There's always the strategy to short fill under yellow for track position and put the stop on the tire changers. I watched Starworks gain 10 seconds at Barber 2012 utilizing that strategy in the last hour and a half of that race by utilizing strategy.
You really don't get it do you? If Conti' builds tires that are that bad then they need to step it up. When was the last time in the middle of any TUSCC event someone decided to try a and make their tires last more than one stint? Never. Because the time it takes to refuel is so long you might as well change the tyres. Heck even the GTLM teams with good tires don't bother to double stint in TUSCC because there is no point. IMSA is a bunch of dolts for this system.

Splash and go is ridiculous to compare to actual endurance racing strategy...that's desperation stuff.

Also the caution procedures are silly. Full course yellows of 15 minutes for a loose wheel? Why? Localised yellow if something like a spin, and make pits open to all. You can gain more track position this way and it varies strategy.

The entire crew? Only the refuelling person and jackman are working on the car when it initially enters.
When the rest of the crew is standing behind the painted line in the garage waiting for fueling to be done... Yea here's an example of where not having a pit wall would have been catastrophic. The entire crew and pit box would have been hit.

See here how while only the jack man and the refueler would have been out, the rest of the crew with tires ready. Why they're letting that many people out on pit road too is totally assinine.

Tyres that are pretty pathetic for an endurance series.
They pay a lot of money to be the official tire. They are bound to what the series says. Half of that is because IMSA won't let them build a better tire. Also, they are limited to what they can charge teams for tires. That limits what Conti does as well.
You really don't get it do you? If Conti' builds tires that are that bad then they need to step it up. When was the last time in the middle of any TUSCC event someone decided to try a and make their tires last more than one stint? Never. Because the time it takes to refuel is so long you might as well change the tyres. Heck even the GTLM teams with good tires don't bother to double stint in TUSCC because there is no point. IMSA is a bunch of dolts for this system.

Splash and go is ridiculous to compare to actual endurance racing strategy...that's desperation stuff.
See above.

Also the caution procedures are silly. Full course yellows of 15 minutes for a loose wheel? Why? Localised yellow if something like a spin, and make pits open to all. You can gain more track position this way and it varies strategy.
They split up pitting for safety so everyone isn't on pit road as much, and because the factory GTLM teams are asses and won't share a pit.

Back