2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Or they could do that "using modern technology" thing and make easily interchangeable body panels. Than all you would need to do is make the rule like they have in sports cars where you have to have all parts intact in order to be classified.

Or they could do that "using modern technology" thing and make easily interchangeable body panels. Than all you would need to do is make the rule like they have in sports cars where you have to have all parts intact in order to be classified.

Cue fans saying the sport isn't original anymore and that the cars are even more seperated than their road going bases.

At this point, I don't think either side has a clue what they want.

All the "fans" either killing the changes just because they are changes, and the ones defending every action as if the were Brian France's personal white knight are the reasons I quit being a "fan" of anything. I enjoy motorsport, I didn't enjoy this weekend, maybe Atlanta will be better.

It's also why I think "fan councils" May be the most useless thing ever.

Smart and logical idea, fine of $10,000 for conduct detrimental to the sport.

Interesting highlights of the Daytona 500:
- Full grandstands for 2nd year in a row
- Kyle Busch spun all on his own and blamed Goodyear
- Younger driver generation didn't win but made a generally good impression
- Stage format shows some promise for more equitable points distribution and simulating added spectator interest
- Fully 3/4 of field were wrecked by the end, and I wonder what the toll in concussions was

Interesting highlights of the Daytona 500:
- Full grandstands for 2nd year in a row
- Stage format shows some promise for more equitable points distribution and simulating added spectator interest
- Fully 3/4 of field were wrecked by the end, and I wonder what the toll in concussions was
1. Enjoy it while it lasts. The negative reviews of this race were many.
2. Um, no. Just no. Again, negative reviews from many long time and promising fans and also let's not forget most of this forum complaining about the fact that the race nearly went to 7:00PM due to the stage breaks and the incessant crashes connected to them.
3. 3/4ths is tragic, and NASCAR should be ashamed. That being said, I highly doubt there were any concussions occuring. Though I would not be surprised if Jr's symptoms were aggravated, which could be bad news

The last green flag portion of that race was very good. Larson did a few things that definitely got my attention.

Plate racing always sketches me out when it gets near the end, so I was glad no one wadded it up coming to the flag.

Honestly it was disgusting to watch apart from the last 30 laps when they actually managed to not wreck (only by a miracle). Not going to bother with the rest of the season, and best of luck to anybody who attempts to watch any races past this one. Its a giant overly complicated circus that makes last year's rule set look like 2003. NASCAR has not just shot itself in the foot, but done so with a 155mm howitzer shell full of depleted uranium.

Honestly it was disgusting to watch apart from the last 30 laps when they actually managed to not wreck (only by a miracle). Not going to bother with the rest of the season, and best of luck to anybody who attempts to watch any races past this one. Its a giant overly complicated circus that makes last year's rule set look like 2003. NASCAR has not just shot itself in the foot, but done so with a 155mm howitzer shell full of depleted uranium.
I'm gonna give Atlanta a shot, just because it's a "normal" racetrack. We were gonna get a cluster with a plate track, so we'll see what it's like on a non-plate.

I enjoyed this weekend's Daytona 500. It sounds like a few here did not share the same opinion, but all the power to you guys.

Except J Mac wrecking everybody that was hilarious :lol:

J' Mac's new sponsorship since he proved to be so powerful to destroy all cars without destroying himself lol
20-oldspice.jpg

*starts whistle*

Chase Elliot, Austin Dillon, Ryan Blaney, Kyle Larson and other next-generation drivers distinguished themselves in the 500. Generally, I thought they outperformed the older generations. If their corresponding cohort in the race-going and TV watching population is entertained, then NASCAR night have a real future.

Just got back home from Daytona. Some thoughts on the new rules:

I do like the new damage repair rule, especially the go to the garage and your out part. I would maybe give them a bit more time for repairs and extend it to 10 minutes, or at least start the 5:00 clock when the car enters their assigned pit stall, and not pit road.

The segment rule I'm on the fence about. Usually the Daytona 500 is 160 laps of follow the leader in a single lane, and there wasn't much of that this time which was nice.

The problem was it created 3 mini races within a race so everyone races hard as each segment, which means good racing mid-race, but as we saw it resulted in big wrecks and red/yellow flags. and that wasn't much fun to watch. Maybe it will be better at non-plate tracks.

I (and everyone around us in the stands) hated the cautions after the segments. If I wanted to watch a bunch of cars driving at highway speeds, I would stay home & save a bunch of money and grab my lawn chair and cooler and go watch the traffic on I-90. Especially after the lengthy red/yellow flags we already had.

Last thing, is NASCAR is maybe trying to appeal to the California crowd again by starting the races later. That turns an already long day into an even longer one. Both Saturday and Sunday, we didn't get back to the hotel until after 9:00pm (ET)

Otherwise, it was a fun weekend. Ate a bunch of good seafood, got free drinks at the distillery, and the closing laps of both races were among the best I've seen since we started going down there.

Chase Elliot, Austin Dillon, Ryan Blaney, Kyle Larson and other next-generation drivers distinguished themselves in the 500. Generally, I thought they outperformed the older generations. If their corresponding cohort in the race-going and TV watching population is entertained, then NASCAR night have a real future.
They did well when presented with their opportunity to shine, but the opportunity came about because everyone else wrecked. Let's see more progress at a non plate track before drawing any further conclusions.

The Daytona 500 apparently had a slight TV ratings increase this year over last year. Still down compared to 2015, but it still was a slight increase compared to last year. That's according to RACER.

Back