2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Once they got done wrecking the racing was fantastic! The stages are tolerable, but they need to stop explaining it so much. Enjoyable race! (Except for Jr. Wrecking) Can't wait for next week.

Well, that's it for Fox Latinamerica! See some of you guys at the OSCARs thread!

If there's any

And in the WWE thread too :D

I think the best way to describe this whole NASCAR weekend is a disjointed mess that makes me question whether I even want to watch anymore. Part of me wants to give all these changes a chance but man, everything in me is like:

giphy.gif

With a bit of adjustment, I don't think it'll be awful. I think I need to see it on a mile and a half before I judge it fully.

At this point though, if I don't get to watch a race on the weekend, it won't be a complete loss.

To be honest, even though it was mostly single file, the strategy games made it a really awesome race.
So the latter.
The biggest fix they need to do is KILL THE DUMB 5 MIN REPAIR RULE
The truck race was swaying me to favor it, but I now think it just doesn't work.

Alternative Idea: Scrutineering. If scrutineers say "It's not safe enough" then that's it.

Thoughts:

- Stages caused undo wrecks
- Stages caused undo idiocy
- 5 minute repair rule is stupid, should have a scrutineering as @BKGlover said. Several cars could have continued with body panel fixes within 5 minutes
- The points system is somehow worse than before and I still have a hard time understanding its purpose

Conclusion:

WSCC can't return soon enough, Indycar can't start soon enough, and Formula 1 can't get going soon enough.

Last edited:
Thoughts:

- 5 minute repair rule is stupid, should have a scrutineering as @BKGlover said. Several cars could have continued with body panel fixes within 5 minutes
- The points system is somehow worse than before and I still have a hard time understanding its purpose

Conclusion:

WSCC can't return soon enough, and Indycar can't start soon enough.

Don't forget F1, since it's shaping up to be quite interesting

What do the points even look like? I feel bad for the poor sap who has to work them out after that catastrophe.

Unless...he was involved in coming up with this format, then you can go down with the ship like the rest of 'em.
I've already told the people I try to explain it to "Y'all are on ya own this year."

The biggest fix they need to do is KILL THE DUMB 5 MIN REPAIR RULE
Nah. This was good- some small tweaks and it works- see below.
The truck race was swaying me to favor it, but I now think it just doesn't work.

Alternative Idea: Scrutineering. If scrutineers say "It's not safe enough" then that's it.
Nope. This leads to "favoritism" real or perceived.
Thoughts:

1. Nope. Prove it.
2. Nope. Prove it.
3. Nope- how does this create a fair situation that is unbiased? Which is what fans really want.
4. Math, it's your best friend. Plus, points don't really matter (in reality) for weeks. A win will change it for anyone- which is the point.

I thought the race was okay. There were some interesting strategies, and the ending was pretty good.
I would like for the segments to be removed entirely, but we all know that will never happen.

Nope. This leads to "favoritism" real or perceived.
Even if all 40 cars were built, tuned, maintained, tested, etc by the same single person who knows nothing about the drivers, that would still be the case. Eventually you have to ignore the whiny ***** and do what makes sense. It's worked in rallying for eons, I don't see why it can't at least be attempted.

In all honesty, I thought the segmented racing was going to be worse than it was today. The only negative I could take from it was NASCAR throwing a red flag just so the second stage could end under green, because I would save that for the actual finish of the race IMO.

Even if all 40 cars were built, tuned, maintained, tested, etc by the same single person who knows nothing about the drivers, that would still be the case. Eventually you have to ignore the whiny ***** and do what makes sense. It's worked in rallying for eons, I don't see why it can't at least be attempted.
You never touch the same point on a rally stage twice. This is the exact point where your idea loses traction.

Back