2018 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand PrixFormula 1 

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
The 2018 season kicked off in Australia and already there are some conspiracy theories surrounding Vettel's win after the VSC period. Haas' cars looking suspiciously quick and people are still not used to the Halo. These will likely be the talking points as we head to the desert and race under the spotlights at the Bahrain Grand Prix...

635151859957421492.jpg
Bahrain International Circuit
First Grand Prix
2004​
Number of Laps
Circuit Length
5.412M
Race Distance
308.405KM
Lap Record
1:31.447 by Pedro De La Rosa (McLaren-Mercedes) (2005)
2017 Podium
1: Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
2: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
3: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
Session times at:
[URL]http://whenisf1on.com/[/URL]​

Here's some butt-ugly news to start off the thread with, from Racer.com. Toro Rosso has been kneecapped at the very first race.
Honda has been forced to make changes to its MGU-H and turbocharger as a result of the problem suffered by Pierre Gasly in the Australian Grand Prix.

Gasly retired early in the opening race of the season having lost power, with Honda tracing the issue back to the MGU-H. After investigations, it was found to be an incident that also affected the turbocharger and damaged Gasly's internal combustion engine (ICE), meaning modifications have had to be made and parts replaced.

Teams only have three of the ICE, turbocharger and MGU-H for use during the season before having to take grid penalties, and both Toro Rosso drivers will already move closer to those limits at this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.

"During the race in Australia, we had an issue with the MGU-H and turbocharger on Pierre's car and this had the knock-on effect of also damaging the ICE," Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe said. "Therefore, in Bahrain, Pierre will use a new ICE, MGU-H and turbocharger. The MGU-H and turbocharger have both been modified, in light of what we learned in the first race.

"Given the problems we encountered in Melbourne, we have decided, as a precautionary measure, to also change the MGU-H and turbocharger on Brendon's car, fitting the new modified components.

"Replacing components for the second race is obviously a difficult decision and not ideal, given that the number of power units and ancillary components is now limited to just three per season, however we believes this is the right way forward and we will continue our development in order to ensure the same issue does not reoccur.

"Although Sakhir is a tough track for the PU, we hope to move on from this difficult moment, as we focus on this race and those that follow."

Honda only switched to supply Toro Rosso this year after three tough years with McLaren that were heavily impacted by reliability issues, leading to the early termination of that partnership.

Last edited:
I'm getting seriously pissed off with this ESPN crap. Not for the reasons others have and this reason is more annoying to be honest. The damn app works but it doesn't have anything up yet from this morning. I can't rewatch Formula 2 qualifying or FP1. This better be cleared up so I can watch it before FP2 because that starts in an hour. I'm so pissed because it should be there and there's no reason it isn't. It's one thing to have trouble loading a video but when the video isn't there in the first place when it should? WTF

FP2 should be airing right now and no change. Get your 🤬 together ESPN....

Last edited:
This better be cleared up so I can watch it before FP2 because that starts in an hour. I'm so pissed because it should be there and there's no reason it isn't.
Aaaaaaaaaaaand FP2 is not being shown. Why is this not being brought up yet?
Isn't Free Practice usually run on a Friday (except at Monaco)?

I get you, I also wondered for a second if FP1 and 2 were today, but Friday afternoon over in Melbourne is Thursday night for us, not the same for Bahrain.

This might be the first real indicator of where everyone really stands, although Bahrain is a bit of a power circuit. It might also be the first real indicator of where the overall overtaking stands. It might never be good if it isn't decent here.

I'm getting seriously pissed off with this ESPN crap. Not for the reasons others have and this reason is more annoying to be honest. The damn app works but it doesn't have anything up yet from this morning. I can't rewatch Formula 2 qualifying or FP1. This better be cleared up so I can watch it before FP2 because that starts in an hour. I'm so pissed because it should be there and there's no reason it isn't. It's one thing to have trouble loading a video but when the video isn't there in the first place when it should? WTF

Aaaaaaaaaaaand FP2 is not being shown. Why is this not being brought up yet?
*The Price Is Right fail music*

Sorry guys... can you tell I really want it to be race weekend already? :)
A story in three posts.

I get you, I also wondered for a second if FP1 and 2 were today, but Friday afternoon over in Melbourne is Thursday night for us, not the same for Bahrain.

This might be the first real indicator of where everyone really stands, although Bahrain is a bit of a power circuit. It might also be the first real indicator of where the overall overtaking stands. It might never be good if it isn't decent here.
Yea a real circuit is nice to see. I also didn't get a lot of sleep last night

Not the best start in Bahrein for Max :mad:

edit: He pushes his own car back to the pitbox 👍 #Keeppushing in optima forma.

For what it is worth: P1 RBR #1 and # last...

Last edited:
I'm watching a replay of FP1, and the SKY announcers are discussing the aero getting out of hand and keeping cars from passing each other.

While I can't completely disagree with that objectively, one of gents mentioned that Vettel needed a "step-ladder" to get in while avoiding all of the aero on the side and bottom of the car. Nevermind that the halo is now a thing...

In FP2 Raikkonnen appeared to have the same problem that the Haas drivers had after their pit stops in Melbourne. It'll be interesting to see if this is a coincidence or if it highlights a weakness in a Ferrari customer part... that's if the hubs/nuts are Ferrari spec. I think they are, @LMSCorvetteGT2 may know better?

HAM five place grid penalty for changing gearbox as a result of oil leak during Australian GP

And an extra meeting tomorrow with all team directors about changes to be made ASAP* to avoid boring racing without the possibility to overtake

ASAP* they think next season and its something different then the e.g.motor changes in season 20/21

Last edited:
HAM five place grid penalty for changing gearbox as a result of oil leak during Australian GP

The racing gods have clearly decided the Bahrain Grand Prix needs to be vaguely interesting.

Maxie is out in Q1.

Too much gas.

After that boner in Australia, this is the last thing he needs.

So he will start 15th assuming he doesn't change anything and get a grid penalty.It's a real shame but maybe Ricciardo will be the more consistent Red Bull for the driver's championship fight.

Alonso got lucky with that tie with Grosjean. That Haas is much faster than that.

-

No surprise, Williams and Sauber in the basement.

-

Verstappen may sometimes be erratic, but he has more championship potential than most of the drivers on the grid.

He just needs to cool it a bit.

Back