2021/22 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,132 comments
It will take several years for United to become competitive.
During which time the tabloids will be writing hilarious headlines based on Erik ten Hag's name about how crap he is...

Anyway, Barnsley join Derby in relegation to League One.

So much upsy-downsies possible today...

Championship
Peterborough down if they don't win (against Forest), or Reading do (against Hull).

League One
Wigan up if MK Dons don't win (against Morecambe) and Wednesday don't win (against Wycombe)/MK Dons don't win but Wednesday do and Wigan at least draw/MK Dons draw and Wigan at least equal that result
Doncaster down if they don't win (Burton)/Gillingham at least draw (Portsmouth)/Fleetwood win (Wimbledon)
Wimbledon down if they lose (Fleetwood)/if Gillingham at least matches their result (Portsmouth) unless both win and Morecambe don't at least draw (MK Dons)

League Two
Forest Green up with at least a draw (Bristol Rovers)
Exeter up if they win (Rochdale)/if they draw and none of Northampton (Leyton Orient), Bristol Rovers (Forest Green), and Sutton (Barrow) win
Port Vale up if they win (Rochdale) and none of Northampton (Leyton Orient), Bristol Rovers (Forest Green), and Sutton (Barrow) win
Oldham down if they lose (Salford)/if they do not beat the results of both Stevenage (Tranmere) and Barrow (Sutton)/if Stevenage and Barrow win

So much upsy-downsies possible today...

Championship
Peterborough down if they don't win (against Forest), or Reading do (against Hull).

League One
Wigan up if MK Dons don't win (against Morecambe) and Wednesday don't win (against Wycombe)/MK Dons don't win but Wednesday do and Wigan at least draw/MK Dons draw and Wigan at least equal that result
Doncaster down if they don't win (Burton)/Gillingham at least draw (Portsmouth)/Fleetwood win (Wimbledon)
Wimbledon down if they lose (Fleetwood)/if Gillingham at least matches their result (Portsmouth) unless both win and Morecambe don't at least draw (MK Dons)

League Two
Forest Green up with at least a draw (Bristol Rovers)
Exeter up if they win (Rochdale)/if they draw and none of Northampton (Leyton Orient), Bristol Rovers (Forest Green), and Sutton (Barrow) win
Port Vale up if they win (Rochdale) and none of Northampton (Leyton Orient), Bristol Rovers (Forest Green), and Sutton (Barrow) win
Oldham down if they lose (Salford)/if they do not beat the results of both Stevenage (Tranmere) and Barrow (Sutton)/if Stevenage and Barrow win
Aaaand

Peterborough lost so go down.

Wigan drew, but MK Dons won so no promotion yet. Doncaster won but Gillingham lost and Fleetwood/Wimbledon drew so no relegation yet (massive goal difference swing needed though).

Forest Green drew and go up, Exeter won but so did Northampton so don't yet, and Port Vale lost and are now out of the automatic places too. Oldham lost and are relegated...

... and that's not only their first relegation out of the Football League since they joined in 1906, but the first former Premier League club to be relegated out of the Football League entirely...

Arsenal 3-1 Man United
Man City 5-1 Watford
Norwich 0-3 Newcastle
Leicester 0-0 Villa
Brentford 0-0 Spurs

United's top four hopes are surely gone now after another defeat and to a top four rival this time. Tavares, Saka and Xhaka with Arsenal's goals and Ronaldo scored his 100th PL goal, United also had a penalty miss from Fernandes.

Arsenal went fourth and stayed there after Spurs dropped points away to Brentford, Gabriel Jesus scored four as City battered Watford and Joelinton scored twice for Newcastle with Guimares getting the other.

Oldham's match at home to Salford was suspended after home fans ran onto the pitch to protest, but the last 12 mins were played behind closed doors and Oldham lost 2-1 to confirm their relegation from the Football League.

For some reason I'm a little nervous heading into the Merseyside Derby tomorrow. I don't think we will lose but I don't think a draw is out of the question either. It's the classic letdown game. We just smashed one of our biggest rivals again, City crushed a team headed for relegation, so we should be up for it to keep pace with them, but sometimes that can lead to nervousness and being timid. I hope I'm very wrong.

Burnley have just beaten Wolves and it means that they have gone above Everton and Everton drop into the relegation zone, Liverpool v Everton is still to come today...

Brighton 2-2 Southampton
Burnley 1-0 Wolves
Chelsea 1-0 West Ham
Liverpool 2-0 Everton

A hard fought win for Liverpool which they were made to work for, it was a battling performance from Everton especially in the first half with 11 men behind the ball and some time-wasting and fouls getting under the skin of Liverpool, Liverpool did come out for the second half with more urgency and tempo and it took until the 62nd minute for Robertson to score and then Origi sealed the win 5 mins from time, Liverpool's quality told in the end.

As I mentioned Burnley have climbed out of the relegation zone with that win over Wolves, it was Vydra who got the goal and Everton are now 18th but with a game in hand against Leicester over Burnley. Pulisic with Chelsea's goal over a West Ham side which had six changes to it as they were resting layers for their Europa semi final this week, Jorginho had a terrible penalty saved, Ward Prowse scored twice for Southampton including one of his trademark free-kicks.

A determined and organised Everton frustrated Liverpool, but being so defensive is a risky game to play, and thankfully Liverpool found a way to win the game. 🙂 Cit€h will have a confidence hit after this weekend, but then Liverpool must have been confident after the Utd game, and they were nowhere near at the start of this game. Divock Origi is a legend, especially against Everton, 🤣 for the important goals he has scored. I hope he shows more of what he can do when he leaves at the end of the season, and gets more regular game time with, it looks, AC Milan.

Who knew Everton could be so organised in defense! 😲 😄 Where has this team been all season! 🤔 They are now in the bottom 3 after this defeat, and Burnley's win. I fear for them atm, particularly after this game, because I don't think they will be able to be as organised again for as long in a game, if they can be as organise as that to begin with. And if their players 'react' to minimal contacts in the same way as they did for some contacts in this game, and time waste so much, marginal decisions may start to go against them.

For those that didn't watch it, the Everton keeper, Pickford, started the game by easily catching a ball, and then going to ground to waste time. 🙄 Thankfully there was less of that in the 2nd half, but I liked it when Alisson mocked him by doing the same thing late in the game. 🤣

How does Frank Lampard keep getting jobs? No club he's ever managed has gone forward under him, and only one - Derby - has gone backward after him, and that was a pretty unique circumstance.

His Derby managed the same finish as Gary Rowett's - 6th - in his only full season there, one point less than the previous season. Philip Cocu did worse the next season, but that was when the Derby off-the-pitch wheels had started to come off.

His Chelsea were a place and six points worse off than the previous season under Sarri, but he'd dragged them down to ninth by the time he was fired in January 2021... then Tuchel took them back up - same squad - to fourth and won the bloody Champions League.

His Everton are now two places lower than when he joined in January and have lost eight of 12 league games he's been in charge. And he's managed two separate four-game losing runs (although only one of the first four), at a goal difference of -11.

How does Frank Lampard keep getting jobs? No club he's ever managed has gone forward under him, and only one - Derby - has gone backward after him, and that was a pretty unique circumstance.

His Derby managed the same finish as Gary Rowett's - 6th - in his only full season there, one point less than the previous season. Philip Cocu did worse the next season, but that was when the Derby off-the-pitch wheels had started to come off.

His Chelsea were a place and six points worse off than the previous season under Sarri, but he'd dragged them down to ninth by the time he was fired in January 2021... then Tuchel took them back up - same squad - to fourth and won the bloody Champions League.

His Everton are now two places lower than when he joined in January and have lost eight of 12 league games he's been in charge. And he's managed two separate four-game losing runs (although only one of the first four), at a goal difference of -11.
Sums up why I was so baffled when they appointed him in the first place, Lampard has no managerial track record to speak of whatsoever.

How does Frank Lampard keep getting jobs?
He's English,
an ex England International,
one of the best Premier League players there has been,
seems like a nice chap who would know a lot of people in football having not that long retired,
has not been involved in any controversy as a player, and indeed been admired by many,
has relations who have coached or managed (father and uncle). So it must run in the family. ;)😄

Of course none of that should get you a job as a manager of a football club, especially not at a club in any of the top divisions. Other countries have former players spending years coaching with youth teams/reserve teams/feeder clubs to gain experience whilst attaining the required coaching badges to coach/manage at higher levels.

But this is football in England, and what level a player you were, and who you know, can get you the top jobs. 🙄 Sometime it works, but the majority of times it does not. Does not stop them repeating the same mistakes.

And it is not like failing at a club as a manager is any great barrier to getting another job as a manager. You can be sacked as a manager and get another job within weeks.

has not been involved in any controversy as a player
Hold On Reaction GIF by CBS

Sex tape, the 9/11 thing (which seemed forgotten about when he played for New York in MLS :lol: ), he's a Tory...

... I mean, he's certainly no John Terry, and he cleaned his act up quite a bit.

Hold On Reaction GIF by CBS

Sex tape, the 9/11 thing (which seemed forgotten about when he played for New York in MLS :lol: ), he's a Tory...

... I mean, he's certainly no John Terry, and he cleaned his act up quite a bit.
Well all that obviously went under my radar. 😲;)🤣

Palace 0-0 Leeds.

Palace dominated much of the game and had more chances especially in the second half, Leeds didn't do a lot.

Football this week is Champions League featuring City and Liverpool, Football League and Vanarama National stuff, plus West Ham in the Europa League semi final and Leicester in the Conference League semi final, Man United v Chelsea on Thursday.

Literally none of the possible upsy-downsies happened today except Exeter City escaping League Two at the sixth time of trying for League One.

Kind of miffed that Fleetwood/Wednesday wasn't a draw (but not TOO miffed) and Sunderland was instead of a Rotherham win, because we've got this:

1651011507846.png

When what we could have had was four teams all on 80 points and goal differences of 23-25 (Plymouth +25, Sunderland +24, Wednesday +24, Wycombe +23) and four final games of the season which would come down to who scores the most in wins.

Still pretty tight though. We're safe with a draw unless Wycombe win by +2 (with +3 needed if we score more in the draw than they do in the win), Sunderland at least draw, and Argyle win by +6 (+7 needed if we score more in the draw than they do in the win).

Literally any three from four. We're home to Portsmouth, Sunderland are away to Morecambe, Argyle home to MK Dons (who are still in with a shot at both auto AND the title), and Wycombe away at Burton.

Edit: This is Wednesday's second and third goals; I've included the second only for context as to how funny the third one is:

Last edited:
This is Milan's chance. It has been over a decade but with a struggling Juve and Inter this season, Milan have to bear down and win Serie A this year.

Forget the points dropped to the bottom half teams. Ignore the club being bought for over $1 Billion or who to buy and sell in the summer. 4 games to go, 4 finals to win. Forza Milano sempre.

Apparently "super" agent Mino Raiola has died following a short, mystery illness. However it's so mysterious that some outlets are reporting that he's merely in hospital and not dead.

Last edited:
Jurgen Klopp has signed a new contract at Liverpool until 2026.
Seen it talked about today, but waited to hear it from the man himself. Great news. :cheers: 🥳

I didn't think he would extend his contract beyond 2024, as he seemed pretty sure after extending his last contract that he wouldn't.

Apparently one of the reasons he's extending is because his wife is happy and wants to stay. A wise man indeed. ;)🤣

Seen it talked about today, but waited to hear it from the man himself. Great news. :cheers: 🥳

I didn't think he would extend his contract beyond 2024, as he seemed pretty sure after extending his last contract that he wouldn't.

Apparently one of the reasons he's extending is because his wife is happy and wants to stay. A wise man indeed. ;)🤣
Do you think this might make it easier to re-sign Salah?

Do you think this might make it easier to re-sign Salah?
It can't do any harm. If Salah wants to stay, it would be in a successful team, and Klopp is the best option to make that more likely to continue.

Don't have any insight into why Salah won't sign a contract extension, it is usually about money though. If that is the main stumbling block I trust the club to make the best decision for the long term future of the club. Salah getting a significantly larger deal has knock ons for others at the club beyond him, and could cost the club way beyond the cost of a Salah deal. There is no oil money behind Liverpool, or allegedly dodgy deals in Spain, they have to live within their means. I don't want to get close to going out of business as it was close to doing with the last owners.

Mbappe seems to be linked with Liverpool occasionally, but I saw contract offer from PSG for about 800k a week, 😲 (doesn't matter whether €'s or £'s, that is mental :crazy:) close to 2x what Salah wants allegedly, and Liverpool are having anything to do with that. As good as Mbappe could be for Liverpool, and I think he would suit Liverpool, no thanks. A Salah deal needs to be in context of the big picture for Liverpool. They seem to be doing things right atm.

If he doesn't sign I would keep him till the end of his contract, to get him at his peak before the start of the inevitable decline with age. With his contract into the last year, offers for him, from the few clubs that could afford him, and his wages, would not be offering top £, because they would think Liverpool will deal at a lower price to not lose him for nothing. I'd say take the goals now.

Last edited:
It can't do any harm. If Salah wants to stay, it would be in a successful team, and Klopp is the best option to make that more likely to continue.

Don't have any insight into why Salah won't sign a contract extension, it is usually about money though. If that is the main stumbling block I trust the club to make the best decision for the long term future of the club. Salah getting a significantly larger deal has knock ons for others at the club beyond him, and could cost the club way beyond the cost of a Salah deal. There is no oil money behind Liverpool, or allegedly dodgy deals in Spain, they have to live within their means. I don't want to get close to going out of business as it was close to doing with the last owners.

Mbappe seems to be linked with Liverpool occasionally, but I saw contract offer from PSG for about 800k a week, 😲 (doesn't matter whether €'s or £'s, that is mental :crazy:) close to 2x what Salah wants allegedly, and Liverpool are having anything to do with that. As good as Mbappe could be for Liverpool, and I think he would suit Liverpool, no thanks. A Salah deal needs to be in context of the big picture for Liverpool. They seem to be doing things right atm.

If he doesn't sign I would keep him till the end of his contract, to get him at his peak before the start of the inevitable decline with age. With his contract into the last year, offers for him, from the few clubs that could afford him, and his wages, would not be offering top £, because they would think Liverpool will deal at a lower price to not lose him for nothing. I'd say take the goals now.
I don't think Mbappe is coming to Liverpool or any other Premier League team. I think it's either going to be Real Madrid or if PSG steps up he could re-sign there.

I'm more concerned about where Haaland ends up. Bayern Munich would be great or Real Madrid even, I just don't want it to be Manchester City but I'm afraid it's going to be.

Man United 1-1 Chelsea.

United scraped a draw thanks to Ronaldo's equaliser after Alonso put Chelsea ahead just minutes before, Chelsea squandered several chances and were the dominant team throughtout.

West Ham lost their first leg Europa semi final 2-1 to Frankfurt and Leicester drew 1-1 to Roma in their Conference League semi final first leg.

Games this weekend.

Saturday.
Aston Villa v Norwich
Leeds v Man City (5.30 Sky)
Newcastle v Liverpool (12.30 BT)
Southampton v Crystal Palace
Watford v Burnley
Wolves v Brighton

Sunday.
Everton v Chelsea (2pm Sky)
Tottenham v Leicester
West Ham v Arsenal (4.30 Sky)

Monday.
Man United v Brentford (8pm Sky)

British businessman Sir Jim Radcliffe has made a late bid for Chelsea, the Ineos chairman has bid £4.25 billion. he currently owns French Ligue Un club Nice.

It's not quite halftime in the final League One games, but the division is so mad that one goal took Rotherham from being third and not in a promotion spot to winning the title...

... and there's four teams separated by two points at the start of play for three playoff spots.

And Doncaster need to score 30 goals in the second half to avoid relegation.

Edit: And now Wigan are back on top.

Last edited:
Back