2021/22 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,132 comments
I'm going to do my usual PL round-up after the Leeds-City game later but Norwich have been relegated (unsurprisingly!) back to the Championship, they lost 2-0 to Aston Villa which sealed their fate.

Super agent Mino Raiola has now sadly passed away aged 54, not reports this time as its been confirmed.

Terrific comeback from Burnley. An own goal from Tarkowski in the 8th minute put them behind 1-0 at Watford but they didn't quit. They created the most chances, were aggressive, and it paid off with Cork scoring in the 83rd minute and Brownhill got the winner just 3 minutes later. They are now in 16th place ahead of Leeds United on goal difference.

Terrific comeback from Burnley. An own goal from Tarkowski in the 8th minute put them behind 1-0 at Watford but they didn't quit. They created the most chances, were aggressive, and it paid off with Cork scoring in the 83rd minute and Brownhill got the winner just 3 minutes later. They are now in 16th place ahead of Leeds United on goal difference.
Everton are in serious, serious trouble. Five points behind with two games in hand, but one is Chelsea.

Burnley's run-in is Villa twice (no idea how), Spurs away, Newcastle at home. Everton's is Chelsea (H), Leicester (A), Watford (A), Brentford (H), Palace (H), and Arsenal (A), and I don't see them getting five points from that, much less five more points than Burnley or Leeds (Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton, Brentford).

In League One, Wigan top, Rotherham second, it's MK Dons/Wimbledon and Wednesday/Sunderland in the playoffs, Plymouth totally blew the playoffs despite being top for a while, Fleetwood escape on the final day on goal difference as Gillingham, Doncaster, and Wimbledon all get relegated alongside already-down Crewe.

Also 33,400 in Hillsborough today for the final league game of the season. Mental:

1651341639140.png

The playoff semifinal is likely to have the highest aggregate attendance in a third division playoff semi ever.

Last edited:
Apparently "super" agent Mino Raiola has died following a short, mystery illness. However it's so mysterious that some outlets are reporting that he's merely in hospital and not dead.
He's dead.

Newcastle 0-1 Liverpool
Southampton 1-2 Palace
Villa 2-0 Norwich
Wolves 0-3 Brighton
Watford 1-2 Burnley
Leeds 0-4 Man City

What a comeback win from Burnley, they were 1-0 down on 82 minutes but turned it around with quick goals from Cork and Brownhill in a huge win for them and could have sent Watford down in the process.

Naby Keita got the only goal in a comfortable win for Liverpool which put them top for a few hours but City just battered Leeds. Rodri, Ake, Jesus and Fernandinho with the goals and Leeds didn't do a lot, not much to talk about with the other results as they don't mean much this late into the season.

Everton 1-0 Chelsea
Spurs 3-1 Leicester
West Ham 1-2 Arsenal

Its kind of difficult to explain what that win means for Everton, after weeks of downfall they finally have some hope as they are now only 2 points off Burnley with a game in hand and a better goal difference, Richarlison with the only goal early in the second half and Pickford produced a string of excellent saves to keep Chelsea at bay.

A few twists in the top four battle today as Spurs went fourth for a couple of hours, two goals from Son and the other from Kane for them but Arsenal just won at the London Stadium to reclaim fourth spot, Holding put Arsenal in front but Bowen equalised and Gabriel got the winner for Arsenal.

I haven't spoken much about football this season in this thread. With each passing season I care less and less about big boy 🤬head football. Especially the 4th Place Trophy. However, as the season draws to a close:

1651432952101.png

It's a 44 game season. Only the champions go up automatically. Stockport had an 11 point lead over us this time last month. Next Sunday, we play each other. I am trembling. I honestly didn't think we'd be this close, especially given how far ahead Stockport were.

I have tried to get Wrexham tickets a few times this season, its almost impossible!

The demand is incredible and they are getting huge attendances for the National League, yesterday they got 9,200 and they broke 10,000 at one game this season.

Man United's last home game of the season tonight, there will be a 'lap of appreciation' after the game. which I'm sure will do down well with the fans...if there are any left at full time.

No Russian teams in international football next season.

Edit

UEFA International football that is. No Champions, Europa or Conference League. No European Championship for the Women's team.

Last edited:
Top of the table team labouring its way to the title but not particularly threatened from behind vs. playoff chasing team in need of at least a point to book a probable spot...

1651515615924.png

... so naturally the top of the table team wins 7-0. Championship title for Fulham, eight points clear and with a goal difference twice that of anyone else.

Also Mitrovic breaks Guy Whittingham's all-time second-tier goalscoring season of 42 in 46, with 43 in 45.

It's some record by Mitrovic, fair play to him.

Wrexham bottled it tonight. Drew against Boreham Wood and Stockport won. Being 11pts behind a month ago, I never truly believed we could catch them but getting so close is so frustrating when you think about the ifs, buts and maybes. With two games to go, which does include a home game against Stockport, I would rather we rested our players and kept them fresh for the play-offs if possible; despite our brilliant form the last 2-3 games have been sluggish and the team's tiredness is definitely showing.

Man United 3-0 Brentford

Fernandes, a penalty from Ronaldo and Varane with his first United goal, one of our best performances of the season! Brentford were good and had chances but lacked a bit up front. Mata and Matic had their last OT appearances and got nice ovations when they were taken off.

Man United's last home game of the season tonight, there will be a 'lap of appreciation' after the game. which I'm sure will do down well with the fans...if there are any left at full time.
That quote aged well :D
Man United 3-0 Brentford

Fernandes, a penalty from Ronaldo and Varane with his first United goal, one of our best performances of the season! Brentford were good and had chances but lacked a bit up front. Mata and Matic had their last OT appearances and got nice ovations when they were taken off.

Massive match at Bournemouth for Forest tonight. 7pm start. If Forest win then we're in with a great chance at automatic promotion. We're 3 points behind them, but better goal difference.

We've won 9 of our last 10. In the same period Bournemouth have won 4.

When Cooper took over in October (?) Forest were bottom, right? That's some turnaround.

Bournemouth are promoted back to the Premier League, they beat Forest 1-0 in that crunch clash tonight with Kieffer Moore getting the only goal in the 82nd minute. Forest definitely should have had a penalty in the first half though.

Liverpool reach their 3rd Champions League final in 5 years. 😲 After a terrible first half against an unrecognisable Villarreal from the first leg, thankfully the normal Liverpool came out in the 2nd half to get the win, and go through to the final.

Great support from the Villarreal fans for their team, and they nearly pulled of one of the biggest upsets.

Bournemouth are promoted back to the Premier League, they beat Forest 1-0 in that crunch clash tonight with Kieffer Moore getting the only goal in the 82nd minute. Forest definitely should have had a penalty in the first half though.
Yep, it was onside. However, we were awful second half.

Big job for Cooper to get the team focussed for the play offs now. It will be interesting to see how we do on Saturday against Hull. Whilst it has a minimal impact on where we finish, it will be interesting to see if there's a hangover.

What does everyone think of the stuff coming out of Crawley Town in the past couple of weeks?

I mean....Jesus!

I'll post this weekends games on Friday night but meanwhile its congratulations to Rangers for making it to the Europa league final, great achievement! 👍

They will face Frankfurt who knocked out West Ham, the Hammers didn't have a good night as Cresswell was sent off inside 20 minutes and then Borre scored for Frankfurt soon after and it was game over really after that, Frankfurt won 3-1 on agg. Moyes was sent off for kicking a ball at a ball boy.

Leicester also bowed out of the semi final stage of the Conference league after a 1-0 defeat to Roma, Tammy Abraham got the only goal as they won 2-1 on agg and face Feyenoord in the first ever final of the new competition.

Games this weekend.

Saturday.
Brentford v Southampton
Brighton v Man United (5.30 Sky)
Burnley v Aston Villa
Chelsea v Wolves
Crystal Palace v Watford
Liverpool v Tottenham (7.45 BT)

Sunday.
Arsenal v Leeds (2pm Sky)
Leicester v Everton
Norwich v West Ham
Man City v Newcastle (4.30 Sky)

Some big games there, No early kick off on the Saturday but there is a Saturday night game instead.

Its also the final day of the Championship season tomorrow with all games kicking off at 12.30 plus the final day of the League Two season with plenty still to be decided there.

There are six PL games in midweek next week.

Last edited:
Championship final day is done and the play offs are set, its Huddersfield v Luton and and Nottingham Forest v Sheffield United and the play offs start on Friday. We already knew that Fulham go up as champions and Bournemouth are promoted with them plus Peterborough, Derby and Barnsley go down.

League One play off have started with Wycombe beating MK Dons 2-0 and Sunderland beating Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 in the first legs, League Two final day is today with a lot still to be decided at the top and the play off. Regular season in the Vanarama National is still on-going but nearing its end.

League Two final day is today with a lot still to be decided at the top and the play off.
Not half - Bristol Rovers needed to overcome Northampton's goal difference advantage of five, and Rovers are winning 7-0 while Northampton are 3-1 up. That puts Rovers up on goals scored...

... and Northampton's 'keeper has just been sent off!

The nonsense that passes for journalism these days:

FSJlQX0WUAcM_vk.png

People get paid to write this. Not a single source attributed, not even an anonymous "source close to the club". If that's the level, every single football fan should be getting paid for talking about hypothetical transfers. Try it yourself:

"Cristiano Ronaldo's uncertain future at Manchester United could lead to a sensational move to the Racecourse.

Wrexham manager Phil Parkinson is looking for a forward to boost his promotion-challenging side and Ronaldo's proven success makes him an attractive proposition."

That has the exact same detail, quality and sources as the published article. Pay me.

They're still going at Bristol/Scunthorpe after a pitch invasion following goal #7. 90 minutes plus 24... :lol:

Assuming no other goals, this is L2:
1651940037128.png

It means Northampton won 3-1 away and yet still drop a place :lol:

Edit: Match has now finished, Bristol Rovers up on goals scored after closing a 5 goal difference deficit!

Last edited:
Back