2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 803 comments
One thing noticed is EA Sports as the Sponsor. Given the nature of the paddock pass and such (and now the promotional train rolling with an actual team account), I wonder if we might see some APX GP skins as part of the promotion. I can't imagine EA or FOM themselves didn't notice Sony's cross promotion of the Gran Turismo movie and with this movie haven't thought of something even slightly similar for their yearly Sports Title.

I'll definitely give it a chance, even despite the absolute cheese shown in the first few seconds of the Trailer.

Last edited:
One thing noticed is EA Sports as the Sponsor. Given the nature of the paddock pass and such (and now the promotional train rolling with an actual team account), I wonder if we might see some APX GP skins as part of the promotion. I can't imagine EA or FOM themselves didn't notice Sony's cross promotion of the Gran Turismo movie and with this movie haven't thought of something even slightly similar for their yearly Sports Title.

I'll definitely give it a chance, even despite the absolute cheese shown in the first few seconds of the Trailer.
Movie will randomly freeze and 30 minutes through you will be asked to pay for the rest of the movie as DLC.

Pretty convinced they will produce a good feeling of APX beeing a part of F1, in the paddock and on track. People who have seen Top Gun Maverick and especially BTS stuff of it know how easy they can fool you with modern CGI like the Gasly onboard and produce very good action shots. I'm expecting a mediocre story but I don't really care about it and rate the entertainment factor in this higher just like Days of Thunder or Driven or even Ford vs Ferrari with lots of made up stuff. It's not a documentary, it's entertainment and fun for 90-120 minutes and I'm excited to watch it and awaiting the first real trailer and BTS stuff. I will absolutely love seeing the real F1 guys throughout the scenes and finding them in the shots!

I was kind of hoping Toyota would to field their own in-house effort just to see how F1/Liberty reacts to a major manufacturer wanting to field an 11th team in comparison to Andretti's efforts.

Read they're going through Haas, so that'll still be interesting.

I was kind of hoping Toyota would to field their own in-house effort just to see how F1/Liberty reacts to a major manufacturer wanting to field an 11th team in comparison to Andretti's efforts.

Read they're going through Haas, so that'll still be interesting.
They wouldn't dare say no to Toyota. Well, at least I don't think they would.

I don’t have enough suspension of disbelief to accept 60 year old Brad Pitt as an F1 driver. I know that’s the storyline, 90s driver out of retirement. It’s dumb, just because he wants to be Steve McQueen.

I don’t have enough suspension of disbelief to accept 60 year old Brad Pitt as an F1 driver. I know that’s the storyline, 90s driver out of retirement. It’s dumb, just because he wants to be Steve McQueen.
I really hope they play it exactly like Mika Hakkinen. He went on a Sabbatical and never quite came back, and in this reality Mika did eventually announce his retirement like 2 years ago, whereas Pitt's character decides to come back.

F1 starring Martin Brundle

At least McQueen was age-appropriate when he did his two films. And an actual racing driver.

If Max needs a teammate, they could always pull a Sonny Hayes.
Screenshot_20240710-102922.png

Jean Alesi in a film would be great. A super-popular, really good film that doesn't do as well at the box office as everyone thought it would.

The Häkkinen film takes a leaf out of James Bond and the credits finish with MIKA WILL RETURN... and then there's never a sequel.

The Frentzen film does okay but struggles against A-list blockbusters released at the same time. 25 years later it becomes a cult classic on the internet.

F1 starring Martin Brundle

At least McQueen was age-appropriate when he did his two films. And an actual racing driver.
To Pitt & Idris' credit, it's reported that both drivers spent at least 4-5 months in various cars, including going from Formula 3 to Formula 2s & were taught by Trevor Carlin/Rodin Motorsport b/c Bruckheimer wanted a similar level of preparation that the actors went through for Top Gun.

McQueen is a league of his own, but early interviews would indicate the actors for this film were taught some level of skill behind the wheel.

I'm definitely giving it a chance. I don't think it will outperform Rush, but Lewis is tying his name to it & Bruckheimer and Kosinski are reunited after putting out Top Gun: Maverick a couple years ago which was well received.
Oh I Don think it will be Rush-levels of good. Rush is one of those films that defines the phrase "a hard act to follow" but Brad Pitt's F1 movie will good nonetheless.

I don't have high hopes for a movie where the hero team has such a creative name like "APX".

Would love to see Toyota make their way back to F1 one day. Ocon is a done deal for Haas apparently as well.

Also

Sources close to Ferrari have told BBC Sport that chief executive officer Benedetto Vigna has baulked at the level of salary Newey commands and that there is a concern he would have too much power and could override the system inside the company.
lol

Last edited:
"The system" of meddling bureaucracy and under performance? Seems like a good thing to me.

Surprised Andrea Seidl is leaving already. Looks like Binotto won't be in a TP role which is fine, his technical history is superb.

Surprised Andrea Seidl is leaving already. Looks like Binotto won't be in a TP role which is fine, his technical history is superb.
Chief Operator is the step above the TP (which doesn't exist in all teams were TP and CO are the same job), so probably even worse + Chief Technical Officer in one person overlooking both technical and operational sides (the later he struggled from day 1 as Ferrari TP even before the cap). I assume not very different to his position at Ferrari F1 where he clearly failed with no championships and mostly falling down the WCC ladder after some races as TP, wasn't able to manage Vettel/Leclerc and went the way of cheating the fuel flow sensor which lead to even worse performance with Ferrari beeing 6th in 2020 after getting caught.

Binnotto is best in a Chief Technical Officer role as that's where he excelled in Ferrari before his ill-fated move to TP, and bring someone else in as Principal.
What did Ferrari win with Binotto as CTO? Guess most of us know the story he joined Ferrari at ~25 in 1995 so he was a small sprocket in the Schumacher-Todt-Brawn-era but as bigger sprocket after the mid to late 2000s he and Ferrari never won WCC/WDC again. I just don't see how he will be the right person turning over the worst team in F1 atm to winning WDC/WCC in a short timespan. Nothing else will matter for Audi.

What did Ferrari win with Binotto as CTO? Guess most of us know the story he joined Ferrari at ~25 in 1995 so he was a small sprocket in the Schumacher-Todt-Brawn-era but as bigger sprocket after the mid to late 2000s he and Ferrari never won WCC/WDC again. I just don't see how he will be the right person turning over the worst team in F1 atm to winning WDC/WCC in a short timespan. Nothing else will matter for Audi.
Have Ferrari improved without him?

Friends, remember the 2012 season when:

• A big move by Hamilton to a new team is announced for a season right before a big regs shakeup
  • A French Driver at Team Enstone being abit of a menace.
  • Red Bull beginning to tear apart internally
  • There were 7 different winners before the summer break

Guess what's happened this season...

Back