2023 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 768 comments
Rick Allen: "Alright, we'll see how much pressure Dillion puts on Haley..."

Dillion immediately clips the corner and goes hard into the wall

That is deeply unfortunate for Austin Dillon, but that timing was absolutely amazing. :lol:

Justin Haley leading a race on a rainy Independence Day weekend.
IMG_8162.jpeg

Bruh, it really hasn't been Truex's day today.

Meanwhile, SVGs last lap was over 1.5 seconds faster than Haley's.

Last edited:
It really is impressive how many ways they've found to mispronounce Shane Van Gisbergen. It's not even like it's pronounced any different than it's spelled!
Shane Van Gisburger :lol:. They might as well just go with SVG

Rick Allen got it right, as least.

SVG into 2nd!

Edit: Christ, it really hasn't been Truex's day today. :boggled:
Truex and Gragson will probably protest this track for 2024.

Last edited:
So, today's race was actually much more entertaining than I thought it would be, even with the rain and the single-lane racing. Chicago now joins Streets of St. Pete in my "please add this track to Forza and/or GT" list.

I have a feeling that SVG will be back in a Cup race before too long.

I also have a feeling that NASCAR will be going to more street races, not just Chicago, in the coming years. SVG will not be the only ringer and we might have a situation where more ringers race more of the road courses. Le Mans and this have been fantastic results for NASCAR itself.

Last edited:
Apparently Chase was quoted in post-race saying "Shane Van Gisbergen is going to go home and tell all of his friends how bad we are."

My brain wants to say that that was a joke made out of respect for SVG. :dopey:

This is what happens when you put a ringer used to heavier cars in good equipment.

Per Bob Pockrass, that 1963 Johnny Rutheford win was in what is now a Duel race, which at the time awarded points.

Last edited:
Apparently Chase was quoted in post-race saying "Shane Van Gisbergen is going to go home and tell all of his friends how bad we are."

My brain wants to say that that was a joke made out of respect for SVG. :dopey:
1.jpg

A snapshot showing Chase's quote really hammers home.

View attachment 1270126

A snapshot showing Chase's quote really hammers home.
The 2 things I couldn't believe about this race were A) how SVG was able to crank out those lap times given the cars and the track conditions, and B) how Haley was still able to hang on for a little while despite having such massively worn tires.

Obviously SVGs win here will be the talk of the town for a while, but Haley drove an excellent race today, and I feel like that aspect isn't getting quite the attention it deserves.

Also, between this race and Le Mans, NASCAR has been getting a healthy dose of good international publicity, which is actually pretty good to see.

Last edited:
Strategy and a fast driver won the race. Someone familiar with street courses backed up with better tires. Dude wheeled the hell out of that car and it all lined up.

Since this was basically a success, I now petition for Long Beach to replace Auto Club as the California round

Pretty sure a Supercar is lighter than a NASCAR car. ;)
The 2023 models (Gen3) are over 2900 pounds without fuel but with driver (a shedding of nearly 200 pounds from the previous generation, which came in at 3100 pounds plus fuel), rather heavier than the sports cars and open-wheel cars other ringers are used to. It still compares favorably to the NextGen NASCAR (3200 pounds empty/3400 pounds with driver and fuel).

Last edited:
Pretty sure a Supercar is lighter than a NASCAR car. ;)
They are, but the Supers are still kinda heavy relative to other race cars. The Supercars have a minimum weight of 1335Kg, or a little over 2940lbs. By comparison, and depending on the car in question, GT3 cars usually have a maximum weight of 1300 Kilos, or 2866lbs. As I understand it, Supercars also have more aero to work with and are overall more maneuverable than current NASCAR Cup Cars, even though they have skinnier tires than Cup Cars (300mm on Supercars vs. 365mm on current Cup Cars).

So, SVG took a car that, while having better potential mechanical grip, had less aero, less maneuverability, more weight, and was able to not only pump out faster laps than current NASCAR veterans, but outright win, on a wet track, while having pretty much zero significant experience with the Cup Cars, while almost everyone else was suffering from brake fade/failure and low traction for most of the race.

Sassy William Frawley GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Also, very minor note, but I loved whichever camera they had set up on the fence that shook like crazy everytime the field passed by. I have a feeling it was totally by accident, but it was a really cool accident that did a great job showing the power of the Cup Cars thundering by.

Last edited:
The 2023 models (Gen3) are over 2900 pounds without fuel but with driver (a shedding of nearly 200 pounds from the previous generation, which came in at 3100 pounds plus fuel), rather heavier than the sports cars and open-wheel cars other ringers are used to. It still compares favorably to the NextGen NASCAR (3200 pounds empty/3400 pounds with driver and fuel).
So lighter than a NASCAR car, but I do take your point about what some other ringers drive (but your statement wasn't very clear on that front though).

They are, but the Supers are still kinda heavy relative to other race cars. The Supercars have a minimum weight of 1335Kg, or a little over 2940lbs. By comparison, and depending on the car in question, GT3 cars usually have a maximum weight of 1300 Kilos, or 2866lbs. As I understand it, Supercars also have more aero to work with and are overall more maneuverable than current NASCAR Cup Cars, even though they have skinnier tires than Cup Cars (300mm on Supercars vs. 365mm on current Cup Cars).

So, SVG took a car that, while having better potential mechanical grip, had less aero, less maneuverability, more weight, and was able to not only pump out faster laps than current NASCAR veterans, but outright win, on a wet track, while having pretty much zero significant experience with the Cup Cars, while almost everyone else was suffering from brake fade/failure and low traction for most of the race.

Sassy William Frawley GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Also, very minor note, but I loved whichever camera they had set up on the fence that shook like crazy everytime the field passed by. I have a feeling it was totally by accident, but it was a really cool accident that did a great job showing the power of the Cup Cars thundering by.
He did well for sure. He's one of the best at looking after a car over here and also great at adverse conditions so it wasn't a real surprise to see him go well. I did a little rain dance for him this morning. ;)

Back