2023 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 769 comments
I see GT4 as more of a reset to ATCC. The fast Australian production teams have cars that, in total, probably cost close to a standard GT4.

V8 Supercars are far removed from when the series began in the 60s to '93.
Thing is, if the category went GT racing, would we be having REC problems or more drivers racing?

GT3 or GT4 would be a horrible idea.

Identity for a series is important far more important than "multiple manufacturers or "back to its roots" (which theres a reason why you leave the roots in the first place), you still stuck with Supercars awful rulings and T8 politics, you just become a worse Australian GT. Look how DTM lost A LOT of interest when it became a GT3 series, for me, why should I care? I already watch Super GT and GT300 gives me enough GT3 action.

Also doesn't help in GT3 case that its starting to fall apart, the creator of GT3 created the new GT2 as an insurance policy expecting its downfall and manufacturers are pulling out.

Lets say Ford wants to back out of Supercars, jist making it a one make GM series would be far less damaging long term than converting to repititive format. DTM should've done this too and just have a one make BMW series after Audi dropped.

Also seems absolutely stupid how these "fans" always go on how brand vs brand or focusing on manufacturers is pointless and should be about the Teams and Drivers and then do a 180 and don't want the series to be one make

Last edited:
Well, one of the comments in that article, make a good point of having Marc Cars design a Gen4 car Supercars need. FPVMIC made a similar comment. I’ve been an advocate for just using Marc Cars since forever.
Supercars seem hellbent on running the series to the ground, for the sake of I don’t know why.

I have a whole lot to say, but I don’t like writing ten paragraphs, in one post, to express myself. I don’t Know how they dig the category out of the hole it’s in.

Well, one of the comments in that article, make a good point of having Marc Cars design a Gen4 car Supercars need. FPVMIC made a similar comment. I’ve been an advocate for just using Marc Cars since forever.
You sure have!

It makes even more sense now they've (MARC, along with PACE Innovations) got their two new projects almost finished (MARC GT & MARC SS), surely one of those could be slightly tweaked to be fit for purpose. My guess would be the MARC GT. I think it could be easily modified for different body shapes too... but it sure looks nice as is.

MR526182-1-875x583.jpg

“Once fully developed, we believe that lap times produced will see performance similar to Porsche Cup Car, all of that performance at a cost of around $275,000, and that’s a race car with all the latest GT technical features such as traction control and ABS, all controlled by MoTeC systems.''

Pretty easy to turn off the systems like ABS and traction control if they don't want them, and I think it would be far more palatable to both sides of the brand divide than having a Camaro only based series... although I honestly don't think Ford would pull the Mustang IP completely as they never have in the past.

Edit: The base price has gone up slightly, less than I thought it would've, but still more than reasonable. https://www.my105.com/search/detail...0-43df-8d0c-9f84e3085da6?source=BROWSE_ACTIVE

Last edited:
To add about that Porsche reference. When the COTF brought in the 18” wheel/tyre, I remember Skaife and some drivers felt it was more like a Carrera Cup car. The tyres only widened slightly and the locked diff was still used.
Roland Dane was saying maybe the locked diff should be replaced with an lsd. I mean, what makes the Supercars unique then?

There are some older Marc Cars I in Europe. However, the Marc Cars are a unique package. Makes sense, as still being a “touring car” and to bring up Aussie Racing cars, making anything from vintage to modern silhouettes, are possibilities.

I saw that comment and briefly thought “I wonder if that’s 05XR8”. 😆

Modified GT3 or 4 cars could be interesting, but I’m sure there’s IPs and what not that could get in the way. I could imagine front engined GT4 cars with a heavy power boost would be quite fun, or some GT3s with areo taken off them.

Lord... I used to o follow this series and totally forgot about the GTCcars. Just like the Marc Cars, but with 2Lturbos.

Marc Cars use V8s, but with the original Marc Focus and Mazda3, any engine can fit. Anyway, we'll see what happens with balancing the field.

We’ll see how the changes go for performance, but visually the front of the Mustangs look much better. It’s only a subtle change but smooth the front bumper cleans up the car heaps. Those deep fake vents it previously never looked great.

That bumping is wrong. Don’t know if Dave can get him back, but he needs to.

edit: NICE!

edit2: Awwwwww

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel like Kostecki took it a bit too far there. Thought for sure, at least a black and white flag considering it was also the second lap in a row.

Great race. But for me I absolutely do not understand how Golding’s flick spin in front of Pye isn’t a dangerous re entry. That for me is probably the worst call I’ve ever seen for a long long time. So stupid for James to even do that. I can 100% understand why Scotty is blowing up on social media.

Great race.
Agreed. It's amazing how good it can be when a lot more cars are competitive ;)

But for me I absolutely do not understand how Golding’s flick spin in front of Pye isn’t a dangerous re entry. That for me is probably the worst call I’ve ever seen for a long long time. So stupid for James to even do that. I can 100% understand why Scotty is blowing up on social media.
Was it really a re-entry though? And the big question is if there were yellow flags out or not. If they were out then it's Pye's fault, but if they weren't, why the hell weren't they?

I have a bit of sympathy for the position Golding was in. It would've been pretty scary watching cars coming at you head on at racing speed. I would've been getting the **** outta there too!

Last edited:
Agreed. It's amazing how good it can be when a lot more cars are competitive ;)

Was it really a re-entry though? And the big question is if there were yellow flags out or not. If they were out then it's Pye's fault, but if they weren't, why the hell weren't they?

I have a bit of sympathy for the position Golding was in. It would've been pretty scary watching cars coming at you head on at racing speed. I would've been getting the **** outta there too!
I disagree with the fact that if there weren’t any flags that it’s Pye’s fault. If Pye can’t see and has nowhere to go when he arrives at the scene. That I disagree with the most. And yes I agree with the fact that James was in hurry to get out of a dangerous situation, but caused another dangerous situation for Pye though. That’s where I sit with this. And I’ll leave it at that.

I disagree with the fact that if there weren’t any flags that it’s Pye’s fault.
I didn't say it was his fault if there weren't any flags, only if there were yellow flags. If there were no flags then it definitely wasn't his fault. That's why I said if there wasn't any why the hell not. He was the third (or fourth???) car past so the marshals should've had them out by then.

I've long hated the way drivers keep racing through yellow flag zones only dropping a tenth or two. Will Davison apparently had a close call with one of the recovery vehicles in the same area. That simply should not happen as I'm pretty sure it would've been safety car conditions or the recovery vehicle wouldn't have been on the track. Drivers really need to back right off for yellows etc before someone gets hurt.

I didn't say it was his fault if there weren't any flags, only if there were yellow flags. If there were no flags then it definitely wasn't his fault. That's why I said if there wasn't any why the hell not. He was the third (or fourth???) car past so the marshals should've had them out by then.

I've long hated the way drivers keep racing through yellow flag zones only dropping a tenth or two. Will Davison apparently had a close call with one of the recovery vehicles in the same area. That simply should not happen as I'm pretty sure it would've been safety car conditions or the recovery vehicle wouldn't have been on the track. Drivers really need to back right off for yellows etc before someone gets hurt.
I do have to agree on that. There have been many times when drivers press on through sections with yellow flags displayed. Which of course can be extremely dangerous.

I just rewatched the incident with SP and JG and while it's not clear when the yellow flags came out from the TV vision, it is very clear via the onboard that SP was hard into the throttle on the exit of the turn one chicane.

According to this Scott says the yellow came out just as he entered the chicane. That's where his problem starts, and the officials concurred. For sure he probably couldn't slow for the corner entry but what about the corner exit?

This also isn't Scotty's first rodeo when it comes to blame shifting either. I like the guy but he really has to take at least some ownership for his actions rather than just blowing up at the other drivers.

I also don't particularly like how drivers can abuse the chicanes in the final laps, but as DR said, it took a lot of laps to get to that stage without the kerb strike warning so fair play to him. It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened at that track... and the commentary team, Skaife in particular normally promotes the fact that a driver without kerb strikes can be more greedy at the end of a race than one that's used their quota. I'm still not keen on it though.

And on another note, I found it interesting how drivers from both brands brought up how you can have the air taken off the rear of the car by a another car sticking right up your clacker. Bodes well for overtaking in the braking zones... once they get both cars acceleration even ;)

And to get Whincup and T8 in general out of their ear...
Sadly this won't happen. Triple 8 are going to be involved in the next lot of parity testing whether we like it or not unfortunately... and as they've shown that they're not the least bit interested in actual parity, they'll more than likely be trying to influence any changes favourably to the GM side rather than having the sports best interests in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bairdo has his say, and I'm very much in agreeance with it. Especially now with Bairdo saying that the car in front of Scotty (Will Brown) saw the yellow flags.

Sadly this won't happen. Triple 8 are going to be involved in the next lot of parity testing whether we like it or not unfortunately... and as they've shown that they're not the least bit interested in actual parity, they'll more than likely be trying to influence any changes favourably to the GM side rather than having the sports best interests in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bairdo has his say, and I'm very much in agreeance with it. Especially now with Bairdo saying that the car in front of Scotty (Will Brown) saw the yellow flags.

Ok I’m happy with Bairdo’s explanation. As long they are consistent with similar incidents in the future, I’m fine with it.

Latest Posts

Back