2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 771 comments
Wow

[...]the FIA will have to be careful not to set a precedent by bending its own rules in order to help Herta’s case.
[...]
One paddock source closely associated with young drivers told Motorsport.com: “If he gets a licence we might as well all stop investing F3 and F2.”

[...]the FIA will have to be careful not to set a precedent by bending its own rules
They didn’t have a problem with this last year :lol:

But seriously the FIA is in for a rude awakening when they realize that Americans don’t care to watch their countrymen fight for 8th. The push for an American driver is completely disingenuous, and really just makes them look money hungry. Might as well strike a deal with LIV golf while they’re at it.

As an American, I don't care about an American driver unless they're competitive. I don't care about an 'American' team unless they're competitive. Would I like to see an actual American based team, running American engines and drivers? Sure. But I don't immediately align with a driver because they come from my country.

The push for an American driver is completely disingenuous, and really just makes them look money hungry.
Implying that the new races in Vegas, Miami and Saudi Arabia don't already make the FIA look money hungry. :lol:

Otherwise agreed. I'm all for having a greater American presence, but only if there's competitive drivers representing the US, and they're in moreso due to their talent rather than their nationality.

I’m not entirely sure if he deserves it, but as a fan of motorsports in general I find it super interesting to see good drivers switch over to a different series like this.

But I also feel like Lawson is a victim of circumstance here, I wouldn’t be surprised if RB sent him to Super Formula for a year.

Also…

Last edited:
It could be that Herta is in the frame for McLaren rather than Alpha Tauri ... I mean McLaren would need a back up plan if Piastri gets locked out, and they have already released Ricciardo ??

Well this is my hope anyway as I want Liam Lawson given a shot at F1 !!

Last edited:
It could be that Herta is in the frame for McLaren rather than Alpha Tauri ... I mean McLaren would need a back up plan if Piastri gets locked out, and they have already released Ricciardo ??

Well this is my hope anyway as I want Liam Lawson given a shot at F1 !!
Piastri seems like a done deal for McLaren. Alpine will get whatever money they invested in him, and then some. That money will go to buying out Gasly.

Everyone seems to be setting their sights on Piastri as the new star of F1, but can he realistically compete with Verstappen? I don’t know… I’m just not seeing it. He may do well, but I don’t think he’s going to challenge Verstappen.

I don't think Piastri will be challenging Verstappen in a McLaren anyway :) ... But didn't he (Piastri) win like 3 championships in 3 years on his way to sitting on the bench for Alpine ? I don't think you win back 2 back championships like that just being an average driver ? But as we've seen many times before, you can be the biggest shining star and still fail in F1 !!

I am looking forward to seeing Piastri in F1, if the year off hasn't harmed him and he can carry on that momentum he gained in the feeder categories ... He will have a very bright future that's for sure !

As an American, I don't care about an American driver unless they're competitive. I don't care about an 'American' team unless they're competitive. Would I like to see an actual American based team, running American engines and drivers? Sure. But I don't immediately align with a driver because they come from my country.
It's not meant for you, you're already watching F1. Herta is meant to suck in the average American, who doesn't know that it's borderline impossible to win if you don't drive for the big three teams and has never seen IndyCar. Basically the same people that started watching in 2016, excited to see an American team compete in F1 (lol).

Last edited:
We have to wait for Piastri to confirm this:

Done

pi.JPG

Interesting. 4th July.

"A Tribunal appointed by the Contract Recognition Board held a meeting on 29 August 2022 when counsel for Alpine Racing Limited, McLaren Racing Limited and Mr Oscar Piastri were heard."

"The Tribunal has issued a Unanimous Decision that the only Contract to be recognised by the Board is the Contract between McLaren Racing Limited and Mr Piastri dated 4 July 2022."

"Mr Piastri is entitled to drive for McLaren Racing Limited for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. The members of the Tribunal comprised Ian Hunter QC presiding, Prof. Klaus Peter Berger, Matthieu de Boisseson and Stefano Azzali."

So Piastri was already signed 9 days before Dani postet his statement :lol:

ric2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad Piastri is finally getting his chance (did it have to be at the expense of Dan though? 😅 ). Almost feel like he would have been better off staying in the Alpine fold. Especially after the way Dan was treated. There's probably going to be a lot of pressure on Oscar to get some good results early.

I'm glad Piastri is finally getting his chance (did it have to be at the expense of Dan though? 😅 ). Almost feel like he would have been better off staying in the Alpine fold. Especially after the way Dan was treated. There's probably going to be a lot of pressure on Oscar to get some good results early.
Norris ended up just fine. If Piastri disappoints, it'll be because of his own shortcomings.

I really don't get some of the arguments being thrown around against giving IndyCar (and SuperFormula) more points to at least make them even with F2.

Like this one from Wolff
We don't want to create a system where you try to pick out series that have the least resistance, where the scoring ability is the highest.

If IndyCar was indeed super easy to score a championship, why do those that hold super licenses not instantly dominate when coming over? I do find it funny how F1 seems to still feel threatened by IndyCar (and it's various predecessors) even though it stopped being a threat nearly 30 years ago.

I think the F4/F3/F2 echelon is something that works for Europe

A yes, F2 (and formerly GP2), the series where the champions more often than not amount to nothing in F1...

Between the Andretti thing and the super license scenario I really question how F1 can be the "pinnacle of motorsport". How can you be the top level of competition but have insanely restrictive requirements for entry?

Last edited:
I really don't get some of the arguments being thrown around against giving IndyCar (and SuperFormula) more points to at least make them even with F2.

Like this one from Wolff

If IndyCar was indeed super easy to score a championship, why do those that hold super licenses not instantly dominate when coming over? I do find it funny how F1 seems to still feel threatened by IndyCar (and it's various predecessors) even though it stopped being a threat nearly 30 years ago.

A yes, F2 (and formerly GP2), the series where the champions more often than not amount to nothing in F1...

Between the Andretti thing and the super license scenario I really question how F1 can be the "pinnacle of motorsport". How can you be the top level of competition but have insanely restrictive requirements for entry?
All of this.

Plus let’s not forget about the pay drivers. The Stroll situation alone makes F1 look ridiculous. Latifi is hands down the worst driver on the grid. And it took a war to get rid of Mazipin, who should never have been in an F1 car to begin with.

Going by how Daniel's race performances have been going and Alpine seemingly entertaining the idea tomorrow of releasing Oscar early, I wonder if we will get a situation where Oscar takes over from Daniel sometime this season? Alpine, Alfa Romeo, Williams and Haas seems like Daniel's main hopes of staying in F1 with a race seat for next year, would be good to see if Daniel can get back to a decent level worthy of being a honey badger, his current form in a lot of races is more like a gentleman driver.

Plus let’s not forget about the pay drivers. The Stroll situation alone makes F1 look ridiculous. Latifi is hands down the worst driver on the grid. And it took a war to get rid of Mazipin, who should never have been in an F1 car to begin with.
We can argue the toss about which one is the least inept in any given period but Formula One always has always had pay drivers and will always have pay drivers. That is a simple fact everybody needs to accept.

We can argue the toss about which one is the least inept in any given period but Formula One always has always had pay drivers and will always have pay drivers. That is a simple fact everybody needs to accept.
My issue is if you’re going to allow people to pay for seats, why put up walls that may block other talented drivers from joining the same series? It creates the notion that money is more important than talent, which doesn’t seem consistent for something that’s calling itself ‘the pinnacle of motorsport’

My issue is if you’re going to allow people to pay for seats, why put up walls that may block other talented drivers from joining the same series? It creates the notion that money is more important than talent, which doesn’t seem consistent for something that’s calling itself ‘the pinnacle of motorsport’
Pay drivers have to jump through the same hoops though.

You can't get to F1 without the required super licence points (or special dispensation for equivalent experience, as will be required with Herta), so while Latifi and Stroll are only still there because money keeps them there, they did get the super licence points to qualify in the first place: Latifi raced three seasons in F2, won six races, and finished second in 2019 behind Nyck de Vries; Stroll won F4, Euro F3, and TRS.

Pay drivers have to jump through the same hoops though.

You can't get to F1 without the required super licence points (or special dispensation for equivalent experience, as will be required with Herta), so while Latifi and Stroll are only still there because money keeps them there, they did get the super licence points to qualify in the first place: Latifi raced three seasons in F2, won six races, and finished second in 2019 behind Nyck de Vries; Stroll won F4, Euro F3, and TRS.
This is kind of my point though, the experience in those feeder series hasn’t done a whole lot for them in F1. Yes Stroll has 3 podiums, but he’s 18th in points this year. Latifi is the only driver on the grid without points.

All that to say my beef is with the requirements to get in to F1. If a team wants to sign a driver from any other series the should be able to without the restrictions. Indycar currently has drivers from F1, Nascar, Australian Supercars, and an LMP1 driver.

Yes these drivers like Latifi, Stroll or Mazepin fall a bit more or less apart these days from the very high class in F1 but they are still lightyears ahead of some drivers on the grid from the time before the superlicense point system. If you're not aware of the people driving (or crashing/not qualifying) back than just google Ricardo Rosset or Yuji Ide.

I’d still rather see a guy like Herta get a shot over another Latifi, Stroll or Mazepin type of driver. The elitism around F1 is joke.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with elitism when you're just not qualified enough. That is also the case for any other racing license. You need to get (good) results to get the next higher license step. Every international racing license comes with requirements.

Talking about license and elitism. Indycar has much more of it as far as I know since they don't have written rules for the Indycar license and whatever you do in the end Indycar officials are deciding on your racing resume if you are allowed to even test a Indycar. Only with this test they will decide on which specific tracks you are allowed to drive a Indycar. At least in F1 you know what you have to do and not beeing dependent on the grace of the officials :lol:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back