2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 760 comments
It seems fairly obvious that having an American driver isn't really bringing in American sponsorship money for Williams' American financier Dorlington, which I'm guessing was the main reason Sargeant got the seat to begin with, and he's out at the end of the season anyway. May as well get someone in there who can at least bring the car home intact to conserve resources for next season.

It seems fairly obvious that having an American driver isn't really bringing in American sponsorship money for Williams' American financier Dorlington, which I'm guessing was the main reason Sargeant got the seat to begin with, and he's out at the end of the season anyway. May as well get someone in there who can at least bring the car home intact to conserve resources for next season.
He was never going to bring in much American sponsorship or interest, he's spent most of his career in Europe apart from 2 early Kart championships in America, neither of which he won.

Don't you mean Dorilton?

Franco Colapinto will replace Sargeant for the rest of the season, according to Erik Van Haren.

Weird choice if true.

Edit. Just read up on it. He did around 70 laps in a Williams, so there’s that at least.

Last edited:
He’s just so very unremarkable.

Don’t think this is an upgrade tbh.

I would have given the seat to Liam and if he’s not available to Mick.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone seen that coming. Lawson seemed like a no brainer to me, but I read that Red Bull wanted the option to get him back during this season, Vowles wasn't having that.

Must be some sort of financial incentive for Williams to go this route. Makes no sense otherwise, especially if Franco bins it regularly. Long time since an Argentine raced in F1 (Gaston Mazzacane was the last, for Minardi in 2000 and a few races for Prost in 2001), could be a monetary incentive to boost their ability to run at the cost cap next season and give them a good start for 2026.

Losing Sargeant was inevitable, he's cost nearly 2 million in damage repairs, and whilst Albon hasn't exactly been crash free, he's also been much faster and has scored points so it's not a comparison.

Internal option, has already run the car in free practice, it does make some sense over going with an outsider.
Very true, easy to overlook he is a Williams academy driver in lieu of the other names that were being spoken about.

Must be some sort of financial incentive for Williams to go this route. Makes no sense otherwise, especially if Franco bins it regularly. Long time since an Argentine raced in F1 (Gaston Mazzacane was the last, for Minardi in 2000 and a few races for Prost in 2001), could be a monetary incentive to boost their ability to run at the cost cap next season and give them a good start for 2026.
Would have been Lopez in 2010 if USF1 had worked out.

Looking at Colapintos results on paper (I don't watch Junior Formula very much), he seems to at least be decent. Has 1 win, 3 podiums and was running 6th in the points up until now. Curious to see if any of that translates into the F1 car.

Sucks for Logan, regardless. Imo, while he ultimatley didn't do the greatest job in an F1 car, I do think that Williams as a whole didn't handle the situation perfectly, either.

If nothing else Sargeant is still part of the Williams driver academy, so they'll likely find him a seat somewhere else. Though hopefully that somewhere isn't one of the revolving door teams in Indycar.

I didn't know other teams besides red bull would drop a driver mid season.Between Sargeant and Latifi, I wonder which one was worst? 🤔

Last edited:
I didn't know other teams besides red bull would drop a driver mid season.Between Sargeant and Latifi, I wonder which one was worst? 🤔
Logan by a big amount. At best when you peel back the funding, Latifi's biggest crime was being too slow (which was only made worse when not one, not two but three different teammates have outqualified or outscored him, including the most last minute substitute in Nick De fries) with crashes not really being a regular occurrence. Logan however, while not Ide levels of Crash, has been the more crash prone driver (which in the middle of a massive culture and team overhaul that includes finally getting rid of Grampa's outdated Microsoft Spreadsheet program that was cool in the early 2000s, is beyond suboptimal).

Just like Latifi though, he's at least a nice dude that be worth chatting with.

Last edited:
Colapinto now out. Colopinto in.
franco.jpg

Latest Posts

Back