2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 764 comments
Colapinto now out. Colopinto in.
franco.jpg
Whoops!

This is obviously way too soon. Don’t know what they hope to achieve by rushing an infant through the ranks, but I hope they don’t waste him.

Should have kept him in F2 for one more year and maybe have Mick keep his seat warm.

This is obviously way too soon. Don’t know what they hope to achieve by rushing an infant through the ranks, but I hope they don’t waste him.

Should have kept him in F2 for one more year and maybe have Mick keep his seat warm.
They were kind of forced to rush with Hamilton leaving.

They will want to make it clear to Kimi that they support him, as they're afraid of losing him to another team. They don't want an Alpine/Piastri situation.

If that means having him in F1 for one or two years while he's not quite ready for it yet, they're willing to live with it, and have him gain that experience in an F1 car.

Mercedes don't expect him to be at the top immediately next year, this is a long term investment for them.

They were kind of forced to rush with Hamilton leaving.

They will want to make it clear to Kimi that they support him, as they're afraid of losing him to another team. They don't want an Alpine/Piastri situation.

If that means having him in F1 for one or two years while he's not quite ready for it yet, they're willing to live with it, and have him gain that experience in an F1 car.

Mercedes don't expect him to be at the top immediately next year, this is a long term investment for them.
Sure, but keeping him in F2 for one more year wouldn't change any of that.

It's not like there are many (or any) seats available for 2025 that could lure him away from a 2026 seat in a Merc.

The pressure on this kids shoulders is immense - we all saw him crumbling under it yesterday.

This feels like an unforced error from Toto who clearly still isn't over passing on Max all those years ago.

I might eat my word this time next year, but I doubt it.

One big elephant in the room are surely the new regs in 2026. I think it would be even more problematic starting with a rookie in 2026. Therefore there wasn't really any other options for Toto. It will be even very hard after only one year continueing with a new car for rookies, we saw this for Schumacher and Tsunoda heavily struggeling after only one year experience with the reg change.

Last edited:
One big elephant in the room are surely the new regs in 2026. I think it would be even more problematic starting with a rookie in 2026. Therefore there wasn't really any other options for Toto. It will be even very hard after only one year continueing with a new car for rookies, we saw this for Schumacher and Tsunoda heavily struggeling after only one year experience with the reg change.
I think it would be the other way around, academy drivers may spend the most time on the sim with the new regs vs the drivers currently in a seat, plus with minimal seat time in the current regs, jumping into a new car concept in your debut season puts you on more of a level footing I would think. Arguably less damaging than spending a season in the current regs getting use to the car and then having to switch completely for your 2nd season.

Schumacher and Tsnuoda are average drivers regardless of the regs and neither have had decent machinery so it's difficult to compare.

Antonelli getting the nod now is a protective measure. The demons of losing Verstappen are fresh still for Toto given how much kf a generational talent he is, and we're about due for another one.

How would it be more problematic? If anything I think it’s the other way around.

He at least gets some experience in an actual race environment with the team so that's something.

Wouldn't it be something if Bearman manages to drag the Haas brick into a points paying position next weekend and ends up finishing higher in the driver's standings than Magnussen, despite only driving two races?

Wouldn't it be something if Bearman manages to drag the Haas brick into a points paying position next weekend and ends up finishing higher in the driver's standings than Magnussen, despite only driving two races?
I really want to know HOW he'd be scored. No wait he'd score points for himself and the team. Nevermind.

Sorry I'm just sharing thoughts in real time.

Last edited:
Not a potential move i'd imagined, but it would make a lot of sense when you think about it.

Alonso to finally retire after next season?

Not a potential move i'd imagined, but it would make a lot of sense when you think about it.

Alonso to finally retire after next season?
I honestly don't see Alonso retire right as he gets access to a Newey-designed car in new regulations.
Despite him getting older, he's still a great driver.

Maybe Lawrence just sends his son to go do something else instead? But I also don't see him doing that if he can get his son a potentially great car

If the media starts reporting Lawrence is talking to Gianpiero, then I'd probably put some stock that Max will leave Red Bull for Aston Martin. Otherwise, I'm going to assume if something causes Max to want to cut his contract short, I think he'd just leave the sport altogether & get a jump start on his next aspirations he's been talking about. He's got 3 (maybe 4) championships under his belt; I think he's true to word when he says he's more than content w/ what he's accomplished.

I honestly don't see Alonso retire right as he gets access to a Newey-designed car in new regulations.
Despite him getting older, he's still a great driver.

Maybe Lawrence just sends his son to go do something else instead? But I also don't see him doing that if he can get his son a potentially great car
Well with the Aston Martin WEC program stepping up a gear, perhaps that's a realistic option for Stroll.

Back