2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,513 comments
And none of those had 300y+ democracy experience or was prosperous world leader. Half of them never was a stable democracies or even democracies at all(RF for example). Even in that conditions transformation taken more than 4 years.
Its easy to look at the differences but way more interesting to look at the similarities. This is what the people would say in those countries with a dictator now, "nah it won't happen, it's different here"

Its easy to look at the differences but way more interesting to look at the similarities.
But there is 0 sense to look at similarities, if number of differences is through the roof. Its manipulation.
This is what the people would say in those countries with a dictator now, "nah it won't happen, it's different here"
I can't think about any modern country that were democracy with 2-3 changes of regime through elections and evolutionary became autocracy.

Oh, the Republican theocracy has long made it blatantly clear that they only care about states' rights in their favor, never against them. That's a one-way street.
Completely agree. It's something that's just revolting specifically regarding Roe v Wade b/c it's so blatantly obvious. They overturned a 50-year ruling to let the states decide for themselves & now (imo), I think the revelation that people will just cross state borders to seek abortions in legal states and that in a couple states where the population gets a vote on it & voted to allow abortion, has pissed them off. I think it was maybe Ohio(?) where the population voted to allow abortion and their Republicans came out saying, "Nah, we're not gonna abide by that". And of course, my fantastic leaders basically on the verge of letting people become bounty hunters against any woman looking to leave the state.

2 years. 2 years is all it's taken for certain Republicans to walk back state's rights in favor of a national abortion ban instead.

We now get this.

After having to deal with this.

Republicans: "Biden and his wasteful spending, we have to defeat this..........oh oh wait our constituents will benefit from this???" "All of this is thanks to us"

Matthew Broderick GIF

As we see in case of modern Italy, even actual fascist as Prime minister doesn't automatically convert country into autocracy. If you country choosing fascists as next leader, you should think about what you current government doing that makes citizens to vote this way, not convince them that fascists in rule would lead to immediate disaster
Oh dear, the Italian government is a coalition, which seriously limits what the Italian PM can do, the same is not true with regard to how the US Presidential system works.

The two situations are not even close to being comparable.
and grandpa doesn't have dementia.
Go careful, the masks slipping...

...and I do notice how, once again, you didn't address the point and just pivoted to another wild and inaccurate claim.

Last edited:
Oh dear, the Italian government is a coalition, which seriously limits what the Italian PM can do, the same is not true with regard to how the US Presidential system works.
You have no idea just how badly I wish the US party system had enough options left to require a coalition.

You have no idea just how badly I wish the US party system had enough options left to require a coalition.
I think starting with having state-by-state referendums on moving to a "ranked choice voting" system would be a great start. And if enough states implement such a system, maybe there could be a federal referendum on it as well.

'Democrats wanting Biden to withdraw' thankfully shouldn't translate to them voting for Trump instead. You don't cut your nose off to spite your face. If you consider yourself to be a democrat you're still voting Biden, even with a peg on your nose (if you still have one).

'Democrats wanting Biden to withdraw' thankfully shouldn't translate to them voting for Trump instead. You don't cut your nose off to spite your face. If you consider yourself to be a democrat you're still voting Biden, even with a peg on your nose (if you still have one).
No, they won't vote for Trump, but they might just skip voting altogether. This would be especially true with younger people since it takes more effort for someone who isn't retired or has a flexible job.

No, they won't vote for Trump, but they might just skip voting altogether. This would be especially true with younger people since it takes more effort for someone who isn't retired or has a flexible job.
I think this is likely, but I also think there would also be a decent population of republicans who aren't fans of Trump, and would similarly sit this one out. At any rate, this is all the more reason that election day should be a federal holiday.

Last edited:
I don't really think this is likely. Most of the voters in that block are going to vote for whoever the Democrats front against Trump. They see Trump as an existential threat that outweighs any doubts or disdain they have for Biden. And they're right.

I've been hearing for decades that "this election is too critical to waste your vote", and I am actually starting to agree, despite the cries of "Wolf!" every 4 years for most of my adult life.

I think starting with having state-by-state referendums on moving to a "ranked choice voting" system would be a great start. And if enough states implement such a system, maybe there could be a federal referendum on it as well.
We The People have allowed that ship to sail. We not only let the duopoly get too entrenched to ever let that happen, we actively assisted them in doing it. Now we're kind of standing around asking ourselves, "How did this happen?"

We The People have allowed that ship to sail. We not only let the duopoly get too entrenched to ever let that happen, we actively assisted them in doing it. Now we're kind of standing around asking ourselves, "How did this happen?"
Idk, I do hear that some states have already implemented it. Or at least, I think Maine is trying it.

That would certainly be a choice if the Iranians hired some dorky kid from BFE, Pennslyvania, to take out the president without seeing if he could hit a fat ass target at 160 yards in broad daylight with a precision rifle. I wonder if the FBI has turned anything up on the dark web from the kid? Was he moonlighting as a hitman for hire with zero qualifications? If that is what happened, Iran is about to start a war for one of the stupidest reasons ever.

At his age, getting covid feels kinda similar to the Trump assassination attempt.
Either way, it's going to do nothing to help the feeble man unfit for office image which is playing straight into Republican hands; they're going to revel on a buzz of Trump being a "strong survivor" hero type and anything to show Biden negatively is going to be lapped up. Trump is fit and healthy and Biden is sick and old; irrespective of the serious mental gymnastics, that's how it's going to be spun.

I certainly don't think there will be any sympathy swing towards Biden from this at a time where he needs to pick up popular confidence.

At his age, getting covid feels kinda similar to the Trump assassination attempt.

I'm still not sure either of these two is going to make it to november.
As morbid as it is to say. It might be a good thing is both don't. The Republicans would have to pick someone new who doesn't have the Trump magic and the Democrats could roll out someone young and fresh. The Democrats would walk away with the election more than likely.

As morbid as it is to say. It might be a good thing is both don't. The Republicans would have to pick someone new who doesn't have the Trump magic and the Democrats could roll out someone young and fresh. The Democrats would walk away with the election more than likely.
You won't even let poor JFK JR win the election in the event that both of the other candidates die? How cruel are you man?

If we're talking about candidates dying I'm not going to take my chances with a dude named JFK. Plus I don't know if I trust his brain worm.
I wrote JFK on accident because my brain worm is acting up today, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
You won't even let poor JFK JR win the election in the event that both of the other candidates die? How cruel are you man?
JFK Jr. can't do worse than RFK Jr. Even if he's been dead for 25 years.

Back