2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,539 comments
A Republican lied about their military service?
IMG_6255.jpeg

He was a journalist for the Marines.

He spent more time behind a keyboard with a donut than he did with a rifle.

TB

He could have been a police officer had you left out the first sentence.

TB

A journalist in the Marines? I could make so many Full Metal Jacket jokes about Vance right now, but I'm not sure the swear filters would like it. But ya, I'm calling him Pvt Joker now.

Pelosi is doubting Biden's viability too:

Come on, if Biden and his team can't see this, they are going to deliver the election to Trump on a silver platter.

I do wonder if Hakeem Jefferies would be a good replacement too. He seems rather moderate, is young, and is a minority which will capture the black vote better than Biden would. I see him being like another Obama in terms of capturing the young and black vote. He also has good name recognition since the Republicans forced everyone to know who he was during their hissy fit of trying to find a new speaker.

Pelosi is doubting Biden's viability too:

Come on, if Biden and his team can't see this, they are going to deliver the election to Trump on a silver platter.

I do wonder if Hakeem Jefferies would be a good replacement too. He seems rather moderate, is young, and is a minority which will capture the black vote better than Biden would. I see him being like another Obama in terms of capturing the young and black vote. He also has good name recognition since the Republicans forced everyone to know who he was during their hissy fit of trying to find a new speaker.

The general consensus is that if it's not Biden it's Harris. She gets to keep the money they've raised for her campaign. I kinda hope other options will be considered, but that's what I've been hearing so far.

Apparently Biden's team were seeking to effectively have his nomination sealed prior to the convention in August:

... but apparently that is not going to fly:

-

Oh, and this:

I think it is game over for Biden.

Last edited:
The general consensus is that if it's not Biden it's Harris. She gets to keep the money they've raised for her campaign. I kinda hope other options will be considered, but that's what I've been hearing so far.
Harris seems like a terrible choice and would softball the Republicans a win on immigration. She was appointed the border czar or whatever they called her and even though I'm entirely sure what she could've done, the border is a mess.

If the Democrats are seriously about Harris, then need to have Biden step down today and then have Harris put out a win between now and Novemeber.

Harris seems like a terrible choice and would softball the Republicans a win on immigration. She was appointed the border czar or whatever they called her and even though I'm entirely sure what she could've done, the border is a mess.

If the Democrats are seriously about Harris, then need to have Biden step down today and then have Harris put out a win between now and Novemeber.

I agree with you that the democrats have weak point on immigration, and Harris wouldn't help with that. But I think overall she stands better than Biden at this point. I think the party could do better than Harris though. It's just that the job is basically hers to lose if Biden steps down, because she has all the money.

I agree with you that the democrats have weak point on immigration, and Harris wouldn't help with that. But I think overall she stands better than Biden at this point. I think the party could do better than Harris though. It's just that the job is basically hers to lose if Biden steps down, because she has all the money.
Will it all be decided at the DNC next month if Biden steps down?

What would happen if someone like Gavin Newsom was to win the nomination, but Harris inherits the Biden campaign war chest? Would she offer her chest to Newsom?

Would she offer her chest to Newsom?

I mean she is married so probably not.

I would hope that the funds could somehow be moved around and everyone would cooperate. But there are laws around campaign finance, and I honestly have no idea. I think overall it is a mess, but the mess needs to be decided by the DNC optimally. If Biden were to step down afterward it would be worse.

Yes, I think she would do better than Biden just because she isn't old. I wish she'd had a better vice presidency though and actually accomplished something meaningful. It always felt like the picked her because she was a minority then proceeded to just forget about her.

What would happen if someone like Gavin Newsom was to win the nomination, but Harris inherits the Biden campaign war chest? Would she offer her chest to Newsom?
I don't think we know what would happen since this is rare. We've had presidents seek one term in office, but they pledged to do that, so there wasn't some crisis to figure it out. Whatever happens, it will certainly be a case study for pol sci classes going forward.

That the Biden administration basically just immediately put her in a window seat as soon as they won never didn't seem strange. Like she was always there to balance the ticket but it always seemed like they actively didn't want her around.

Last edited:

If it isn't decided at the DNC, the Republicans will win in a landslide. Despite being in an age of technology, you absolutely cannot give such short notice to the voting constituency that the candidate is unknown.

If it isn't decided at the DNC, the Republicans will win in a landslide. Despite being in an age of technology, you absolutely cannot give such short notice to the voting constituency that the candidate is unknown.

The election isn't until november. That's approximately 6 billion news cycles from now. The entire political landscape will change between now and then, at least 5 times. Given the rate that news is happening, I feel like she could announce her candidacy the day before the election and people would already be tired of hearing about it before they vote.*

*That's an exaggeration. Mail-in voting in colorado allows people to vote like 2 weeks prior.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's been any ideas as to who Harris would pick as her VP (since she's being discussed as next-in-line). I'd wager a strong VP choice could boost the Dems.

Last edited:
The election isn't until november. That's approximately 6 billion news cycles from now. The entire political landscape will change between now and then, at least 5 times. Given the rate that news is happening, I feel like she could announce her candidacy the day before the election and people would already be tired of hearing about it before they vote.*

*That's an exaggeration. Mail-in voting in colorado allows people to vote like 2 weeks prior.
And I am leaving out the fact the Republicans will say it's illegal.

All this landslide talk I don't get. There is absolutely the possibility of a lopsided electoral win because the electoral college is stupid, but I just can't believe that Trump would somehow attract far more voters than he got last time - hell large numbers of voters have still been voting for Nikki Haley in republican primaries. This is going to be a turnout election, IMO. The fact that Trump is polling around even with a historically weak candidate that has a demonstrable decline in mental capacity should tell you that Trump has a hard appeal limit. This guy is no Ronald Reagan, convincing large majorities of Americans to vote for him...he's still Donald Trump, the guy that more than half the country absolutely hates, indelibly. Trump never managed to exceed 50% approval rate and was often far below that.

Mark Kelly + Gretchen Whitmer would be a great combo and I think would have massive appeal for sane people across the US as an alternative to Trumpism.

Last edited:
All this landslide talk I don't get. There is absolutely the possibility of a lopsided electoral win because the electoral college is stupid, but I just can't believe that Trump would somehow attract far more voters than he got last time - hell large numbers of voters have still been voting for Nikki Haley in republican primaries. This is going to be a turnout election, IMO. The fact that Trump is polling around even with a historically weak candidate that has a demonstrable decline in mental capacity should tell you that Trump has a hard appeal limit. This guy is no Ronald Reagan, convincing large majorities of Americans to vote for him...he's still Donald Trump, the guy that more than half the country absolutely hates, indelibly. Trump never managed to exceed 50% approval rate and was often far below that.

Mark Kelly + Gretchen Whitmer would be a great combo and I think would have massive appeal for sane people across the US as an alternative to Trumpism.
This reminds me of a Twitter post I saw last week (that I can't frustratingly find) that went a little bit in-depth at trying to highlight this as well, going back through Trump's polling never achieving certain percentages.

Maybe a landslide is a bad words, maybe I mean more of a "convincing win". Biden won convincingly in 2020 with 7 million more votes and 72 more electoral votes, which while it wasn't as dominating as other elections, it still solidified that a majority of voting Americans wanted him.

A.). Those polls are 💩. Check the sample/methodology etc. its specul..

B.) its interesting seeing the centrists..known for their ability to cave, capitulate, and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, for the past 20+yrs..to suddenly coalesce around shanghaiing Biden. Again with a determination and fervor unseen in my 48yrs. Makes ya wonder…. News coverage has been an interesting litmus as well.

Ps. My tinfoil har theory is Biden pissed off big money by forgiving student dept(s). Which im fine with. Those price hikes were criminal. Also, i’d rather the populous have disposable income for local commerce, rather than some bank hoovering it up. Home depot and walmart do a good enough job of stripping local populations of currency.

Ps. My tinfoil har theory is Biden pissed off big money by forgiving student dept(s). Which im fine with. Those price hikes were criminal. Also, i’d rather the populous have disposable income for local commerce, rather than some bank hoovering it up. Home depot and walmart do a good enough job of stripping local populations of currency.
Sure.. it's some kind of conspiracy rather than just that fact that his age made it look like he could not manage talking points in a debate.

This is not hard to understand. Biden is 81 years old. He stumbled his way through a debate and looked too old. That's it. People are worried that he'll lose because he's too old to have a cogent debate.

Sometimes it's just really really really obvious what's going on.

Sure.. it's some kind of conspiracy rather than just that fact that his age made it look like he could not manage talking points in a debate.

This is not hard to understand. Biden is 81 years old. He stumbled his way through a debate and looked too old. That's it. People are worried that he'll lose because he's too old to have a cogent debate.

I'm honestly a bit worried if he wins too.

I'm honestly a bit worried if he wins too.
Meh. Vice Presidency and all that.

I think this mostly comes down to electioneering rather than an actually important issue. But the optics of Biden looking old and out of it doesn't help win over swing voters on the basis that he could just step down after winning.

I have no real qualms about electing him as is.

Maybe

…maybe not

Assume for a second he is fine and had a bad night.

Also,

..saying, really.. a lot. Doesn’t make it true

Last edited:
Assume for a second he is fine and had a bad night.
Have you not been paying attention to Biden for a while? How have you managed to do that? I'm genuinely curious how you seem to have been unexposed to any video of him speaking for the past year.
..saying, really.. a lot. Doesn’t make it true
The point of saying "really" was not to establish truth. I agree with you that wouldn't make it true. The point of saying "really" three times was to emphasize how painfully obvious this is.

Last edited:
Back