ABS 0 community where are you???

Totally ABS free here:tup:, and racing in a league without ABS, see signature for details.
GT5 without ABS is a great sim, once you get the hang of it, with the right brake balance, you will be as fast as with ABS on 1, yes it demand more concentration, but the cars are some much more responsive. to me playing GT5 with any of the assist is not as enjoyable:tdown:, not because it is easier, but because the driving experience is richer with none of the assist on.

Waldez you may want to revisit the ABS 0 driving as your comment on the settings range is innacurate.:sly:

VBR, you do not need heel toe to enjoy ABS 0 with a clutch, as I cannot heel toe, but I agree, beeing adept at heel toe is most likely a good advantage with ABS 0.

As far as tuning, changing small increment creates much bigger reaction when on ABS 0. I always found tuning a little bit weird with ABS 1, but it makes total sense when on ABS 0 because the cars a so much more sensitive to feel and drive.
Finally, best accesorie for ABS 0 is load cell braking, you will never go back on potentiometer braking, garanteed.

Hello, my name is GTAce and I drive without ABS since the game was released. ;)
I also use the brake settings to make cars more realistic, especially oldtimers (low brake pressure to simulate worse brakes etc.).

Driving with a controller by the way.

I'm right here.
I love the feel of no ABS. After getting used to it turning ABS back on makes it feel like I'm using traction controll or SFR, it makes me feel disconnected. I use a G25 with a modded brake pedal (like the nixim mod) which makes using the brakes with ABS off much easier. It makes the brake pedal progressively stiffer which helps me to judge the lockup point or how much brake pressure is too much.

I've tried to host a few no ABS room, but theres usually very little interest.

I'd be into adding more non ABS friends so we can race together.

I love comfort tires-sport hard tires, steet cars and long walks on the, oops. I usually race in the evenings.

feel free to add me, my PSN is: GT-R_HumboldtEF
I'll be on later.

Last edited:
No ABS here either. Though I drift mostly. I drift and race on the steering wheel (DFGT). When i drift i set of course no abs and on brake balance 0 on the front and 7 in the rear (reason it feels the same as a e-brake but better)

Only thing that changes when i race is the brake balance

I don't use abs0 because its unrealistic simple as

So you are saying removing the hidden stability assist that comes with abs1 is unrealistic?

Also if you didn't know abs is prohibited in most racing categories, and GT5's abs is completely different than real life road cars abs.

avens
So you are saying removing the hidden stability assist that comes with abs1 is unrealistic?

Also if you didn't know abs is prohibited in most racing categories, and GT5's abs is completely different than real life road cars abs.

Agreed this is very true

Mmm, I see what you mean now, I always blip the throttle when downshifting and I'm using stick. It's hard at first, but I could do it now like a second nature.

In real life, even with cars with ABS, heel and toe is still necessary to prevent such sudden jolt on the driveline. So, I kind of like the fact that in GT5 with no ABS, this is simulated to an extent.

Have you watched my video driving the 458 Italia that I posted earlier in this thread, you could see how I blip the throttle when braking and the car do rotate at the end of the hard braking. I am sure with practice, it will be a habit to blip ( heel and toe on wheel ) and you'll never go back to ABS driving again:dopey:

We could still do races or track days, you don't have to drive without ABS, I play with everyone, regardless of they use aids, ABS or whatever :) I like variety.

You got me thinking, & I spent all afternoon testing as a result. I think you may be right about the trail braking causing it after all. I trail brake (& engine brake by down shifting early) very aggressively into turns. I also didn't apprectiate just how much better the ABS is after the 2.07 update.

Here are the results of my test: I took my premium stock Lotus Epsrit on Sports Hard tyres to SSRX, after exiting the pits I went up to 100mph in 4th gear then downshifted to 2nd gear (without braking) to see if the rear end would break loose. I did this several times with ABS both on & off, & have to say I felt no difference between them at all. Conclusion: when the ABS is off, it does not turn off the autoblip/rev matcher.

I also put in lots of laps on Nurburgring GP/F, first with ABS on, then off to see the difference. I used the 3/1 brake balance recommended by spence. With ABS off, I was about 0.7 slower compared with it on, this was in My Lounge online. I repeated the test offline, & was about 0.3 slower with ABS off. Offline was much easier with no ABS because of the different physics, there being less oversteer.

I think the rear end spinning out is to do with aggressive trail braking, which is part of my driving style. Also, I found no joy in driving with ABS off, sure it was a challenge, but not one I liked. I bought a Nixim brake mod for my G25 so I can feel some pressure when I brake, but with ABS off & having to brake very lightly, this destroyed all feeling for me. I think I'll be sticking to ABS on 1, untill such a time as I can afford some Fanatec Clubsport pedals & set the brake up very stiff.

Last edited:
VBR
You got me thinking, & I spent all afternoon testing as a result. I think you may be right about the trail braking causing it after all. I trail brake (& engine brake by down shifting early) very aggressively into turns. I also didn't apprectiate just how much better the ABS is after the 2.07 update.

Here are the results of my test: I took my premium stock Lotus Epsrit on Sports Hard tyres to SSRX, after exiting the pits I went up to 100mph in 4th gear then downshifted to 2nd gear to see if the rear end would brake loose. I did this several times with ABS both on & off, & have to say I felt no difference between them at all. Conclusion: when the ABS is off, it does not turn off the autoblip/rev matcher.

I also put in lots of laps on Nurburgring GP/F, first with ABS on, then off to see the difference. I used the 3/1 brake balance recommended by spence. With ABS off, I was about 0.7 slower compared with it on, this was in My Lounge online. I repeated the test offline, & was about 0.3 off with ABS off. Offline was much easier with no ABS because of the different physics, there being less oversteer.

I think the rear end spinning out is to do with aggressive trail braking, which is part of my driving style. Also, I found no joy in driving with ABS off, sure it was a challenge, but not one I liked. I bought a Nixim brake mod for my G25 so I can feel some pressure when I brake, but with ABS off & having to brake very lightly, this destroyed all feeling for me. I think I'll be sticking to ABS on 1, untill such a time as I can afford some Fanatec Clubsport pedals & set the brake up very stiff.

Have you tried the sponge ball trick, Amar has a great explanation about this. Put some sponge ball underneath the brake pedal to give more resistance and feel. With or without ABS, with this mod, braking would be more easier and fun.

Have you tried the sponge ball trick, Amar has a great explanation about this. Put some sponge ball underneath the brake pedal to give more resistance and feel. With or without ABS, with this mod, braking would be more easier and fun.

I've heard of it before, but can't be bothered to try it, It'd ruin the look of my set up too much, hehe!

You have changed my mind about the realism of GT5's ABS off setting though, let me explain. I also drove a Clio Cup race car at Palmer Sport, & the brake pedal was extremely sensitive, I found it very similar to my G25's Nixim modded pedal with ABS off today. I didn't like the brakes in the Clio because I couldn't feel any pressure & the wheels locked up after depressing the pedal only a few centimeters. When I drove the Cateram the brake pedal had a longer throw & was very stiff, it was much easier to judge the right amount of pressure. I only locked the wheels of the Caterham once in 16 laps, but locked up in the Clio many more times.

I think I need Clubsports with the load cell, plus a long throw/stiff set up for the brake.

VBR
I've heard of it before, but can't be bothered to try it, It'd ruin the look of my set up too much, hehe!

You have changed my mind about the realism of GT5's ABS off setting though, let me explain. I also drove a Clio Cup race car at Palmer Sport, & the brake pedal was extremely sensitive, I found it very similar to my G25's Nixim modded pedal with ABS off today. I didn't like the brakes in the Clio because I couldn't feel any pressure & the wheels locked up after depressing the pedal only a few centimeters. When I drove the Cateram the brake pedal had a longer throw & was very stiff, it was much easier to judge the right amount of pressure. I only locked the wheels of the Caterham once in 16 laps, but locked up in the Clio many more times.

I think I need Clubsports with the load cell, plus a long throw/stiff set up for the brake.

Haha, I know how bad it is to have over sensitive brake pedal in real cars :D, I've driven Peugeot 505 GTI when I was in high school, it has a very sensitive brake pedal, a slight touch, it can stop the car from 30 mph in almost an instant. I wonder when there will be pedal set that allow travel, stiffness and resistance adjustments.

I wonder when there will be pedal set that allow travel, stiffness and resistance adjustments.

There already is, it's called the Fanatec Clubsport. They used to sell a tuning kit for it aswell so you could set it up exactly how you like.

I just checked their site & they no longer sell them or the tuning kit, they just have the version 2 pedals.

I wished I have space to use wheel set at my place, moving many furniture is a hassle .... they are expensive too, another issue for me :(

Hi CJ :tup:if i meet anyone else worthy of a mention il point them out to creepy but i think you may have met most of my abs0 buds already:tup:

I'm a ABS1 user. However, I have gotten quite bored of this game, therefore I am going to try and become a non ABS user. So you can now add me to the list of non abs users. I have a few upcoming online races, courtesy of GTPlanet and I'm treating them as a crash course in ABS. :P

I'm a ABS1 user. However, I have gotten quite bored of this game, therefore I am going to try and become a non ABS user. So you can now add me to the list of non abs users. I have a few upcoming online races, courtesy of GTPlanet and I'm treating them as a crash course in ABS. :P

I've been there before (GT5 boredom, despair even), and switching off ABS definitely renewed my interest (also it seemed the next natural evolution). Cars are much more lifelike and fun to drive, it just takes a little practice initially (and a few brake balance tweaks). Go for it mate.

I can also mention re load-cell vs potentiometer, travel, stiffness etc - I'm using a modified G25 pedal board (so it plugs directly into DFGT wheel using only brake and throttle), and I often still feel like I'm barely touching it and it's braking quite hard, which can be annoying. My DFGT is almost dead (again) anyway so I hope to upgrade soon...

I have run in a few races with Jawehawk without ABS, a couple on snow, a couple on tarmac, a very feisty Lotus Elise comes to mind. So I am capeable, just not "Quick" I often failed miserably during these races. A little bit of practice and I should be able to adapt. Much like I did to no traction control, ASM, SRF all of them :)

VBR

There are a handfull of mods for the G25 and G27 pedals (I'm not sure what you have) that dont change the appearance at all and they range from cheap to free. look into the nixim mod for the expensive route (or just to get an idea of the concept) or one of the rubber insert/ hard sponge methods. These mods all end up hidden inside of the red casing for the brake pedal, so it looks exactly the same as it always did.

Sorry for going off topic but this always seems to come up in these no ABS threads.

ABS-0 Always nice to turn off the ABS setting and the TCS when you get a new car.

You can almost hear the car rev a little higher... Oh a proper driver at last.

Find the fun.

I Am An Artist, The Track Is My Canvas And The Car Is My Brush. G Hill

Ryk
ABS-0 Always nice to turn off the ABS setting and the TCS when you get a new car.

You can almost hear the car rev a little higher... Oh a proper driver at last.

Find the fun.

This post might sound a bit bizarre to non ABS=0 people, but ABS has hidden stability assists plus ABS so putting it in 0 means unlocking the simulator mode of GT5. That's why ABS=0 players are so passionate about this: it's GT5.5.

People that haven't played with all assists off (including ABS) and with a FFB wheel really haven't tried the game.

This post might sound a bit bizarre to non ABS=0 people, but ABS has hidden stability assists plus ABS so putting it in 0 means unlocking the simulator mode of GT5. That's why ABS=0 players are so passionate about this: it's GT5.5.

People that haven't played with all assists off (including ABS) and with a FFB wheel really haven't tried the game.

I think there are many who have played that way, but not so many who have learned how to have fun that way. The more comfortable you get with doing it, the more fun it becomes. Kinda funny that way, a bit like using so-called "crappy" tires.

Hey M8h3r, add me on PSN and come have a few casual races with us, we have a good bunch of clean guys to race with and a couple of comedians for entertainment :)

I've been there before (GT5 boredom, despair even), and switching off ABS definitely renewed my interest (also it seemed the next natural evolution). Cars are much more lifelike and fun to drive, it just takes a little practice initially (and a few brake balance tweaks). Go for it mate.

^ Most definately this ^

^ and double definatley this ^

The truth ladies and gentlemen!

Very well said. agree with you completely. 👍

I would just add, that you need to try it for real, no be discouraged because you are out of your comfort zone and go back to your safe spot to quickly. :)

You can approach corners more agressive while under braking and the overall stability is improved. I think some people even got faster laptimes on tracks like Daytona (with full throttle applied on the whole track).

It was horrible before ABS was treated like a driving aid, tons of guys using ABS 10 etc.

VBR
Really? I've never noticed them. What do you think they are, & how do you think they work?

I'm becoming more convinced ABS is more than it should be. Cars are so much more stable in the corner in the transition between brake and gas - at first I though it was me locking up a tyre, twitching the car a bit. After a while it seemed to me the ABS was acting like a stability assist you get in modern cars - operating even after you've let go of the brakes.

Also, @VBR I have particular issues trail braking many MR, and 4 wheel drive cars. They seem prone to stepping out as you turn.

Plus, converse to a previous poster (sorry lost the post) I set the LSD decel setting quite low as I find one wheel lock-up much more stable than two - especially on the rear axle.

btw SRF has to be disabled too. That's just putting glue in the tires, and filtering lobbies with the SRF off settings removes like 90% of rooms full of kids.

I'm becoming more convinced ABS is more than it should be...After a while it seemed to me the ABS was acting like a stability assist you get in modern cars - operating even after you've let go of the brakes.

Also, @VBR I have particular issues trail braking many MR, and 4 wheel drive cars. They seem prone to stepping out as you turn.

I guess we'll never really know, unless PD tell us, which I doubt. Personally, I couldn't feel any difference when cornering after coming off the brakes with ABS on 0.

MR & 4WD cars in game or IRL?

Ryk

That just means he leaves lots of skid marks, LOL! :sly:

Last edited:
Back