Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2 @ Targa Florio part 2

Well, this is how I blew my race.

Got away with SK early on, found that it was probably going to be pointless to try to overtake anywhere else than on the straights, so drove conservatively, trading positions with SK once or twice. I had just taken the lead again at start/finish at the beginning of lap 5 when I misjudged turn 2 and ran into the invisible wall. Damaged left front, and although in theory the car still was going reasonably well, it was hard to go as fast as the steering wheel was pointing left. I threw the original 1-stop strategy out the window then and pitted at the end of lap 5 with about 6 seconds behind SK. Little did I know that most others were pitting quite soon after, and I found myself in the lead again. SK was gradually closing in again on fresh tyres, so, as there was no way to go through to the end, I pitted again after lap 10, 3 sec in front of SK. I took on 5 litres of fuel (don't laugh), came out in 2nd, about 30 seconds behind SK. Managed to bring it down to 20 seconds until, at the end of lap 14, I looked too long at the course map, only to miss my braking point and slam into the barrier at the first of the 2 straights. Car was heavily damaged, so I limped back to the pits, went out again ... only to run out of fuel midway through lap 15. :banghead:

If I can find the time, I vow to do better on Saturday. :D

I got no damage at all during the race. :)

Also known as AudiMan2011's Epic Pit Strategy Failure
A bit odd since you helped me test & plan this event. :odd:
:lol:

I certainly didn't expect to win with a car that wasn't broken in, that's for sure.

All I know is that toward the end of the race, I was in 4th, with Husameone ahead of me. Then suddenly I realized that I must've passed HusameOne when he was in the pit. And I thought, oh, I'm solid for 3rd now if I don't mess up, because cbc was behind me, but staying the same amount behind me lap after lap, and cbc had pitted first, so I figured that my tire wear would be such that I could probably continue to stay ahead of cbc.

Then on lap 15, I passed snowgt going super slow toward the end of the lap. At first I thought maybe he'd just had an accident he was recovering from & hadn't gotten back up to speed yet, but then as I passed, I realized he was probably out of fuel. :lol:

Then as I was heading over the finish line starting the last lap, the message came up that Audiman2011 had just passed the finish line in 1st place, though I didn't see him in front of me. :odd: Took me a moment to realize he was pitting on the last lap & passing the finish line in the pit lane aside me. :lol:

I went from having hit 1 minute down halfway through lap 15, to finishing 1st place 23 seconds ahead. :lol:

This is how endurance races work.

I always do better with damage heavy, since attrition is generally my friend. :)

A bit odd since you helped me test & plan this event. :odd:
:lol:

I had planned to outfox everyone on a 1 stop strategy, but I failed to realise the super fast fuel consumption and I couldn't stretch it far enough. I won't make the same mistake again on Saturday.

I don't know... Maybe someone has just lost their mojo with toscana. :lol: :sly: :mischievous: :lol:

I'm thinking maybe the next endurance will be on an Eifel Circuit with the possibility of rain. :lol: :mischievous:

I don't know... Maybe someone has just lost their mojo with toscana. :lol: :sly: :mischievous: :lol:

Of course I haven't lost my mojo there.;):lol: I had the race under control but I made a massive error on the strategy.

TUESDAY RESULTS

1. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n
  2. Audiman2011 / Street-King-07
  3. cbcvabch / cbcvabch
  4. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash
  5. HusamOne / HusamOne
  6. Nicktune / Nic-KL
  7. John Wells / johnwells69

Well done Watermelonpunch!!👍

Did you stuff cotton into your ears to prevent distraction from the dreaded bowling-ball sound effects that everyone else must have succumbed to cause such a variety of pit-stop issues?;)

I think that I have some foam ear-plugs left-over from my last trip to the NASCAR race at Loudon New Hampshire. Must remember to find them to have any chance at the Saturday podium.:D

Sounds like a great race!
GTsail

I love that sound <3 :) It's like tiny fireworks. :)

I won for the same reasons my car insurance is lower than the average twenty-something male's. I didn't mess up on the fundamentals. :) :lol:
No damage, and I didn't RUN OUT OF GAS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Oh cock"

I thought this was today not yesterday. :grumpy:

Screw it ill come to Saturdays instead. 👍

I was wondering what happened to you yesterday! :odd:
Well good, we need more cars on track to pass out Audiman2011 when he runs out of gas & is put putting it down the straight again. :lol: :sly: :sly: :mischievous: :lol:

My evil plot to psyche the Audiman2011. lol

I was wondering what happened to you yesterday! :odd:
Well good, we need more cars on track to pass out Audiman2011 when he runs out of gas & is put putting it down the straight again. :lol: :sly: :sly: :mischievous: :lol:

My evil plot to psyche the Audiman2011. lol

I won't fall for that mistake twice. I've got a new super secret strategy to outfox everyone.

I do intend to turn up but the rain seems to be doing a number on my Internet so if I get DC'ed mid race I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

How long did the race last Tuesday?

I do intend to turn up but the rain seems to be doing a number on my Internet so if I get DC'ed mid race I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

How long did the race last Tuesday?

Just over 55 minutes. Depending on pit strategy it could be less.

I might be cutting it fine before entering the lobby as I'm currently watching qualifying for the British Touring Cars. I assume Paul will be in the same situation.

Hopefully we won't delay the lobby too much if at all. Got dinner for like 5:15, (4 start here)

I sorta forgot but at the same time I don't have the energy today to race..

Well I had pretty much no choice but to quit. Seemed as though I was lagging a bit. With my lap being about 1.3 as long as everyone else I assumed I'd be passed by everyone 4-5 times. Meaning with lag people would probably get taken out whilst battling for the lead.

SATURDAY RESULTS

1. Longbowx / Longbowx
  2. Audiman2011 / Street-King-07
  3. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash
  4. watermelonpunch / wat3rm370n
  5. GTsail290 / GTsail2

Was a fun race, a good battle during the first half. Didn't get the second half of the course down (there was one corner that I just knew was going to catch me out, but I was lucky to get away with overcooking it once). Not too many mistakes, so I'm reasonably satisfied. Would have liked to have had more confidence to push to the end with fuel, would have added to the enjoyment. Maybe more pictures tomorrow, we'll see.

Just couldn't get that race right, even with a second try. First, there were connection troubles, so I had to reboot. Came back and managed to miss melon's "go" for the qualifying, so I had to start in the last row.

Once I had worked my way up into 4th, I was about 6.5 seconds behind the lead. Managed to bring it down to 4s and then started making stupid mistakes, which dropped me back to about 10s again. Longbow was roughly going the same outright pace, so I didn't see how I would catch up to him. I therefore opted for a 2-stopper, so I pitted after laps 5 and 10. I came out 45 seconds behind after my last stop, and while I was able to bring it down to 20 at the finish line, it just wasn't the faster strategy.

Bloody great car/track-combination though!

Oh, and I did a 3:15 in the race. Proud of that!

Beam me up Scotty, sign me up for sure, love that little car... ID monza_62. Gt planet name. Claudee

Back