America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
In these videos, I really wonder which of the people actually had an education. Definitely not the governor, at least when it comes to health and medicine classes.

Why does he care so much what those students are wearing? DeSantis really needs to mind his own business. Such a boomer moment.
Unfortunately, DeSantis is GenX...which is supposed to be the generation that just doesn't care.

One of the very excellent things about Putin looking bad right now (in so many ways, not just evil), is that Trump and his associates (including Carlson) have aligned themselves with Putin. His disaster is, to an extent, theirs as well.
How is the response among the red hat crowd about that? Usually when Trump does or says something, I see it on Facebook. This time, there's silence. It feels as if he shot himself in his foot.

How is the response among the red hat crowd about that? Usually when Trump does or says something, I see it on Facebook. This time, there's silence. It feels as if he shot himself in his foot.
I think there is some handwringing, in-fighting, and uncertainty right now. They'll figure out how to spin it eventually, but it has tripped them up.

I think there is some handwringing, in-fighting, and uncertainty right now. They'll figure out how to spin it eventually, but it has tripped them up.
Didn't somebody on here basically brush it off as fake news, which is what it appears Trump is doing.

[sad MAGA noises]
Jeff Younger, the anti-trans scumbag, paid a visit to the University of West Texas.

I'm linking as it's very sweary, just it didn't go well for him, at all.
My understanding is that this was at UNT. There is no University of West Texas. There's a WT, but it's part of the Texas A&M system.

[sad MAGA noises]

My understanding is that this was at UNT. There is no University of West Texas. There's a WT, but it's part of the Texas A&M system.
Yes. This would be home of the Mean Green. Mean Green indeed to Mr. Younger.

One of the very excellent things about Putin looking bad right now (in so many ways, not just evil), is that Trump and his associates (including Carlson) have aligned themselves with Putin. His disaster is, to an extent, theirs as well.
It took them a couple days, but Trump & Carlson have already backed off and have tried to sever those comments made, as far as I've seen.
The loyal group just makes excuses for him ("Out of context") or switches sides as soon as he does. His older base however, might be staying quiet because they're old enough to remember their biggest Republican icons were staunchly anti-Russia.

Last edited:
It took them a couple days, but Trump & Carlson have already backed off and have tried to sever those comments made, as far as I've seen.
That's hard to do these days. It's easy to run an ad featuring Trump talking up Putin. He's such a disaster for conservatives.

Last edited:
That's hard to do these days. It's easy to run an ad featuring Trump talking up Putin. He's such a disaster for conservatives.
I feel it'll remain to be seen, otherwise, seems like it's easier than ever for him. Look at his stance on vaccines vs. his base. They hate the Covid vaccine/mandates, he comes out telling people to get it because "he's personally responsible" for them, & even through some boos, they still support him above all else. Went on a Conservative show, Candace tried to push him into an anti-vaccine comment & he touted he created them, they're very good. She & her grifted base still think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Ads won't deter them, the brainwash for a bunch is too deep.

I feel it'll remain to be seen, otherwise, seems like it's easier than ever for him. Look at his stance on vaccines vs. his base. They hate the Covid vaccine/mandates, he comes out telling people to get it because "he's personally responsible" for them, & even through some boos, they still support him above all else. Went on a Conservative show, Candace tried to push him into an anti-vaccine comment & he touted he created them, they're very good. She & her grifted base still think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Ads won't deter them, the brainwash for a bunch is too deep.
That's part of why he's a disaster. The deep, religious loyalty from his base cannot be shaken, yet he remains a political landmine. So they can't shake him, but they also aren't winning with him.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

Sigh. Please don't let any Senator use the computer anymore.

Fun fact: Both of those mother****ers voted to acquit their bronzer daddy for attempting to extort Zelenskyy for dirt on Biden by withholding congressionally appropriated funds.

This is also fun.

By the way, the pizzeria implicated, Comet Ping Pong, doesn't actually have a basement.

Fun fact: Both of those mother****ers voted to acquit their bronzer daddy for attempting to extort Zelenskyy for dirt on Biden by withholding congressionally appropriated funds.

This is also fun.

By the way, the pizzeria implicated, Comet Ping Pong, doesn't actually have a basement.

I have friends in DC who have played shows there, said it's a cool venue with decent pizza. Also confirmed lack of basement.

What's up with Amazon reviews? Over the past few years they've gotten increasingly hard to figure out. Even a product that seems to be well loved, and enthusiastically so, always has some kind of negative comment about how it exploded, gave their grandmother cancer, and burned down their house. Is this some kind of industrial sabotage or something?

Amazon reviews have always been a bit hit or miss. Sometimes it exposes a counterfeit product, like all the no-name USB sticks claiming they held a gazillion terabytes, but were actually much smaller and tweaked to say that they were large. By the time the consumers realized they had been conned, no-name company closed up their amazon listing and a new no-name company offered the same. The reviews helped there.

But obviously some reviews are paid for - people given free products, or bribed, or just otherwise interested parties saying that the product was great. On the flip side, there is a big smear campaign that seems to show up for just about everything as well.

Amazon reviews were one of the great things about the site, and a wonderful pro-consumer development in the market. It's tough to watch it slowly slide away.

What's up with Amazon reviews? Over the past few years they've gotten increasingly hard to figure out. Even a product that seems to be well loved, and enthusiastically so, always has some kind of negative comment about how it exploded, gave their grandmother cancer, and burned down their house. Is this some kind of industrial sabotage or something?
You always have to account for the lowest common denominator. Some people are just so unbelievably stupid that they find a way to take the most benign thing and injure and/or kill themselves with it. It's sort of the philosophy that we take at my job. Even though we deal with educated medical professionals, we have to assume that there's at least one idiot out there that will manage to break it. It's even more so when we're dealing with anything patient-facing and why I've just spent over 50 hours of my time reworking COVID vaccine scheduling.

Amazon is also infested with bots and brushers, mostly from places like China, that artificially boost their products while diminishing other products that might compete with it. Over the past couple of years, I've gotten more crap from Amazon that I didn't order than I care to have. It's all brushing schemes so that some Chinese company can boost the reviews on their crappy products.

I never look at the reviews on Amazon due to this. If I want to know if something is good or not, I look through multiple review sites and then go from there. Some stuff it's hard to do that for though, but for things like electronics, it's pretty easy to get an idea from places like Tom's Hardware. If there isn't a site that specializes in a review for X thing, I typically turn to Reddit since 9 times out of 10 there's a subreddit dealing with whatever it is. Weirdly enough Reddit is how I figured out what pans to buy since there really wasn't a good review site handy, but there are multiple subreddits discussing cookware. I ended up with the best pans I've ever bought, plus a whole new, quality set of cast iron.

YouTube often has decent stuff too since people will literally make unboxing videos of anything. While some are hit or miss, at the very least I can see the product being used outside of promotional images.

Amazon reviews were one of the great things about the site, and a wonderful pro-consumer development in the market. It's tough to watch it slowly slide away.
A comic writer and performer named John Moe noticed all the bizarre 1-star reviews of beloved classics on Amazon. He had a radio show called Wits that included great actors, musicians and comics, so he decided to create the Amazon Review Theater. People like Paul F. Thompkins and Keegan-Michael Key would do dramatic readings of these 1-star reviews, and it was hilarious.

Last edited:

Since the invasion began, Haley has been a regular on Fox News, talking tough and accusing President Biden of failing to take Vladimir Putin seriously. She pretends to have known all along that Putin would attack. “When an evil dictator thug says they’re going to do something, we need to believe them,” she told Dave Rubin in an interview posted on Monday. “Putin said he was going to take Ukraine, and he is.”

Haley is whitewashing her record. She didn’t think Putin would go through with the invasion. “Putin knows it’s costly, and he knows he can’t do it. This is him leveraging to see what he can get,” she told Brian Kilmeade on Jan. 26. “He doesn’t want to expand,” she went on, adding, “I don’t think Russia wants to go to war.” On Feb. 8, she told Bret Baier that Putin’s real plan was to cut a deal: “What Russia’s really trying to do is get us to not allow Ukraine into NATO.”

As are they.
I think that last part is relatively recent. The target here has never had critical thinking skills, but they've been over-estimated for decades. In recent years, Republicans, especially under Trump, have begun to realize just how ridiculous their claims can get.

Back