America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Really curious to see what happens in CA today. I'm not a resident of SF (nor of LA, obviously) so I'm not participating in the most heated/politically charged elections but I'm not gonna complain if things get shaken up a bit. Maybe a moderate Republican-turned-Democrat is what LA needs right now. The fact that CA has open primaries, I think, could help a candidate like Rick Caruso who would probably flounder in either a closed Republican or Democrat primary (because closed primaries reward base pandering and punish moderation). Not especially looking forward to the Fox News takes should Caruso when or Boudin get recalled...

Ooh, this reminds me of something I saw last week. There's a minor leaguer named Fidel Castro in MLB. Without cheating, guess the farm system that player belongs to!
What's a farm system?

Ooh, this reminds me of something I saw last week. There's a minor leaguer named Fidel Castro in MLB. Without cheating, guess the farm system that player belongs to!
Casto = Commie. Commies = Red Losers. Red Losers = Cincinnati Reds, ergo Fidel Castro plays for some affiliate of the Reds like Chattanooga.

Well, San Francisco has officially recalled it's progressive District Attorney. Turnout was low which typically helps the recall vote here in CA, but it also wasn't very close - I don't think you could attribute the vote entirely to Republicans in the city - a likely sizeable amount of Democrats voted to recall Boudin. Hard to really gleen much from this other than that a feeling of uneasiness and dismay has fallen over the city in the last few years. Crime (and the increasingly blatant nature of it) is definitely a part of it, but I also think people are worried about the reputation of the city itself. I'm not sure how many years San Francisco can continue on it's current trajectory before it becomes an unappealing tourist destination, which would be a pretty big hit to the non-tech economy. Recalling Boudin is not likely to have much of an impact on crime immediately, but my guess is that it will start to assuage the perceptual & self image issues.

Republicans after school shooting: "Thoughts and prayers. Too many doors. What if we...I don't know...like, what if we give guns to teacers?"

Republicans after police arrest/charge man who threatened conservative Supreme Court Justice: "We need new legislation and we need it yesterday!"

I guess clips of Milton Berle, Bugs Bunny, Flip Wilson and Barry Humphries, will be banned in Texas.
Is this about cross-dressing? No more A-Team reruns then.

ateamonemoretime020610-01.jpg

(On the upside, the Big Momma's House movie series is history...)

Last edited:
Casto = Commie. Commies = Red Losers. Red Losers = Cincinnati Reds, ergo Fidel Castro plays for some affiliate of the Reds like Chattanooga.
I don't pay much attention to anything under Triple-A. Looking into it, indeed Fidel plays for the Reds' affiliate Single-A club Daytona Tortugas. How fitting. He's batting a sweet .077, so no doubt he'll be fast tracked to the Majors soon. :lol:

Unsure if sarcasm.
Not entirely. I could hazard a guess (even before @Joey D chimed in) that a farm system in the context of baseball refers to minor teams that feed talent to the majors, but I don't follow baseball so much as run from it and so I wouldn't know where to start. What are the Springfield Isotopes?

Not entirely. I could hazard a guess (even before @Joey D chimed in) that a farm system in the context of baseball refers to minor teams that feed talent to the majors, but I don't follow baseball so much as run from it and so I wouldn't know where to start. What are the Springfield Isotopes?
Oddly enough, there is an Isotopes minor league team and it was inspired by The Simpsons, but it is located in Albuquerque.

Last edited:
I don't pay much attention to anything under Triple-A. Looking into it, indeed Fidel plays for the Reds' affiliate Single-A club Daytona Tortugas. How fitting. He's batting a sweet .077, so no doubt he'll be fast tracked to the Majors soon. :lol:
Oddly enough, there is an Isotopes minor league team and it was inspired by The Simpsons, but it is located in Albuquerque.
I think my favorite minor league mascot is:

Trash-Pandas-Logo-2.jpeg

Last edited:
God this is far worse than the Sandy Hook Elementary school tragedy that happened several years ago. A bunch of children got scared and some injured pretty bad. Remember that?

Last edited:
Republicans:
"If it fails, we'll say it's because there was a bunch of stuff in it but not detail what exactly. If it passes, we'll take credit for it even though we likely voted Nay".
I mean, the only reason why it will fail is because the Republicans care more about their elected position than caring about the people they were elected to serve.

God this is far worse than the Sandy Hook Elementary school tragedy that happened several years ago. A bunch of children got scared and some injured pretty bad. Remember that?
While not a competition for which tragedy was worse, 28 died at Sandy Hook while 22 died at Robb Elementary. Sandy Hook is the fourth-deadliest mass shooting in the US since 1949 and was the second-deadliest until 2016 when the Pulse nightclub shooting occurred.

One of the things that conservatives are going to push for after Uvalde is increasing police presence in schools. These cops are called School Resource Officers or SRO's. Here locally they are certainly pushing for that.

But increasing police in schools can lead to more problems than it solves. This past week John Oliver devoted his main segment to SRO's. Out of the many things that concerned me in the piece, one in particular really made me angry. An Osceola Florida county SRO was filmed slamming a girl to the ground knocking her unconscious. Not only did the deputy not face any charges but the Sheriff seemed more concerned that his deputy was even being criticized. That starts around 20:47.

LANGUAGE WARNING

Latest Posts

Back