America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Imagine that. Just waltzing into a country with just a passport and a legal visa
Who's doing that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
A VISA overstay is someone who came here legally and simply didn't leave when their paperwork ran out. This has to be near the bottom of the list for me. These people were vetted and just didn't want to go back. I have no idea why you're worried about their job, but I'm not.

busing over a hundred thousand of the "invaders" deeper into the country
That's a lie.
Come back when you're ready to be honest.

Last edited:

What are you talking about?
Who the hell said anything about people who followed the legal procedures for entering the country?
Go blow that smoke up somebody else's ass.
You're denying reality.

What are you talking about?
Who the hell said anything about people who followed the legal procedures for entering the country?
You're denying reality.
It's precisely what the post you replied to was talking about on this very page when you decided to turn up in your clown car with your easily disproved MAGA talking points.

Provide links to support your claims like I did, or you're the one denying reality and blowing smoke.

Last edited:
That number is not realistic.
Are you a member of the cancel culture?
That's directly from him.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Have you also been counting the ones that were stopped? Because it's the proportion that get through that determines whether the protections are robust, not the absolute number.

If you're trying to stop cats getting into your house, a door is a wonderful thing. If you're trying to stop a SWAT team, a door is basically irrelevant. There is no door in the world that will stop a SWAT team from getting into your house, at best you'll force them to find another way in.

Border protections have their uses if your intention is to prevent individuals or small groups with limited resources and motivation from entering. If you're trying to stop a group that is at the level of Al Qaeda with serious funding, training and supply lines, then border protections are at best a mild inconvenience to those people. Al Qaeda and ISIS were functionally military forces, and nobody thinks that better border protection would have kept Russia out of Ukraine. If you wanted to actually slow down a group like that there are better things to focus on.
Robust enough to have somebody on a watchlist and still letting a terror attack happen I guess.
Why would you compare an actual military invasion with infiltration by a small group. Now anybody can get in in far greater numbers than they would otherwise if the border was much more secure, be it a mexican child or an islamic terrorist. Proportion doesn't matter here I guess.

Yeah, I dunno. Keeping on the topic of illegal immigration, when taking a 30,000’ view on the entire issue
The world still looks reasonably flat from 30,000 feet ;)

, and putting myself into the shoes of someone who’s thinking long-term strategy…like 15+ years down the line, I can’t think of very many reasons on why the Democrats would allow a mass influx of illegal immigrants over the last 3 years.
The clue you seek is that this change you’ve observed started after Donald Trump’s election. His rabid anti-immigration rhetorics has pushed the Democratic Party in the opposite direction to a point where they are no longer comfortable talking about strong border security.
Like most things in government, it just feels like the politics, and strategy have changed significantly over the course of the last 20 years.
Indeed, Donald Trump has been an absolute disaster.

I think the sheer scale needs to be taken into account when determining policy.

From the NYT:

In 2012, there were 300,000 pending asylum cases in the United States. There are that many cases now in New York State alone. All told, more than three million cases are languishing in immigration courts, a million more than just a year ago.

1706785763472.gif

Robust enough to have somebody on a watchlist and still letting a terror attack happen I guess.
Why would you compare an actual military invasion with infiltration by a small group. Now anybody can get in in far greater numbers than they would otherwise if the border was much more secure, be it a mexican child or an islamic terrorist. Proportion doesn't matter here I guess.
I'm not understanding what you would propose??

If you're not here specifically on a work visa, then you're not entitled to work, thus taking a job. From my understanding, most visa overstays are for students and short-term tourists.

Ok, so we're dropping the idea that we're talking about VISA overstays and now we're talking specifically about student and tourist VISA overstays. At least we're moving in the right direction.

You're not entitled to a job ever, because it's something that someone else provides. What you mean is that you're not legally allowed to work. That if someone wants to employ you and you want to be employed by them, the government will say "no". That's it. The job is not somehow entitled to an American, nor is it taken or stolen by an immigrant when they do the work.

You've started from the presumption that the work belonged to Americans. I don't know why.

If you are here on a work visa and you're working, you're not taking a job since you're entitled to work.

You're not "taking" a job anyway. Jobs are not physical things, units that America as a country produces, and which belong to some group called "Americans". It's an agreement. You can't take an agreement from someone else. I do understand that you're not alone in thinking of the economy in this way, and that it is a pervasive view. But it's not an accurate view. If you remove an immigrant from a job, that job doesn't necessarily go to an American, or even exist at all.

With many of the migrants from Mexico and Central America, I see it as different because they are coming here to do a job that wouldn't exist otherwise.

Many jobs go unfilled. Some of them even at senior company leadership, in engineering, marketing, finance, whatever it is. Other jobs get moved to other countries if that's where the workforce best aligns with the work. It's not just manufacturing or manual labor that gets outsourced or goes unfilled, jobs at every level get outsourced or go unfilled.

They came here legally either for vacation, to visit someone, or to go to school, not to work and live permanently. That's the issue I'm having. They came to the US under false pretenses if they said, "I'm here to be a student," then just decided to live here.

So they said "I'm here to be a student" and then came and were a student - not false pretenses, and then didn't leave - it's not the leaving part that you're having an issue with. But would you want to leave? They came here to be a student, hoping that they could stay longer. And their hopes didn't pan out and they had a tough decision to make. This is not as nefarious as you're claiming.

I am suspicious of anyone from an enemy nation. A buddy of mine is married to a girl who grew up in China and came to the US to school. She lives here now and I don't trust her because she constantly makes remarks about how the US is a threat. She denies Tiananmen Square and has told me that I've been fed lies that China is committing genocide against the Uyghur. She thinks that the US is going to nuke Beijing because Taiwan is definitely part of China and not its own country. All her friends that came from China say the exact same thing too. When someone is from a hostile nation and is spouting that kind of stuff, it makes me wonder where their intentions are.

I'll admit, I don't know what her intent is, but everything I've ever seen her post online has been nothing but Chinese propaganda. At best, she's a misguided idiot that hates America and at worst, she's actively working with the Chinese government to push their propaganda. If she hates America and thinks China is the best country in the world, I don't understand why she's even here, but she's never given me a direct answer on that other than her parents thought it was good for her.

This is entirely separable. Now your issue is with someone who overstays their VISA and hates America. That's not the same thing. Maybe you should have lead with "let's deport people who spread propaganda and hate America".

Oh, I don't think it's on the US government to protect the companies; I just don't think it's in the company's best interest to employ illegal Chinese immigrants because of the country's propensity to steal intellectual property right and left.

The "country" doesn't have a propensity here. And the people from that country are not any different than you or me. China (the country - government) doesn't protect intellectual property like we do. And so people do not respect it in the same way within the country. People here would do the same if the US dropped intellectual property protections. In some cases, these are the same people or corporations that treat IP differently in China vs. the US. Corporations especially are good at pushing the boundaries of local laws in different and sometimes contradictory ways. I don't know what this has to do with immigrants in the US. I suppose you think that because of the laws in China, that a student in the US will not respect intellectual property and steal it. But why are we deporting them out of this fear? There are other differences in law, and not just with China, where an immigrant might not observe the law because of what their country of origin does, are we to deport all of them because we suspect them based on their country of origin's laws? This is not making sense.

Likewise, Americans break a lot of laws when they go overseas for much the same reason. Are those nations to think that all Americans can't be trusted or obey local laws?

An illegal Chinese immigrant seems like they would be more suspect of committing corporate espionage, but if an American car company doesn't care, that's entirely on them. It's also entirely on them for employing someone who shouldn't be allowed to work in the US in the first place since a simple background check should uncover that.

Ok great, so this is not a reason to deport people.

Last edited:
Sure it's bad that Republican legislators will tout a bill that they voted against when it passes anyway because they think their constituents will view them favorably but at least Republican legislators are also willing to tank bills that they favor because the opposition may look good by it.

Screenshot-20240201-073003-Samsung-Internet.jpg

As an aside, there are no checks provided for in the measure.

lol. lmao. This response progression is entirely predictable but it's still aggressively stupid and hilariously pathetic.

Who's doing that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's a lie.
Come back when you're ready to be honest.
You're denying reality.
That number is not realistic.
Are you a member of the cancel culture?
I see that now.
I was wrong about the number.
Will Ferrell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:
Ok, so we're dropping the idea that we're talking about VISA overstays and now we're talking specifically about student and tourist VISA overstays. At least we're moving in the right direction.

You're not entitled to a job ever, because it's something that someone else provides. What you mean is that you're not legally allowed to work. That if someone wants to employ you and you want to be employed by them, the government will say "no". That's it. The job is not somehow entitled to an American, nor is it taken or stolen by an immigrant when they do the work.

You've started from the presumption that the work belonged to Americans. I don't know why.

You're not "taking" a job anyway. Jobs are not physical things, units that America as a country produces, and which belong to some group called "Americans". It's an agreement. You can't take an agreement from someone else. I do understand that you're not alone in thinking of the economy in this way, and that it is a pervasive view. But it's not an accurate view. If you remove an immigrant from a job, that job doesn't necessarily go to an American, or even exist at all.

Many jobs go unfilled. Some of them even at senior company leadership, in engineering, marketing, finance, whatever it is. Other jobs get moved to other countries if that's where the workforce best aligns with the work. It's not just manufacturing or manual labor that gets outsourced or goes unfilled, jobs at every level get outsourced or go unfilled.

So they said "I'm here to be a student" and then came and were a student - not false pretenses, and then didn't leave - it's not the leaving part that you're having an issue with. But would you want to leave? They came here to be a student, hoping that they could stay longer. And their hopes didn't pan out and they had a tough decision to make. This is not as nefarious as you're claiming.

This is entirely separable. Now your issue is with someone who overstays their VISA and hates America. That's not the same thing. Maybe you should have lead with "let's deport people who spread propaganda and hate America".

The "country" doesn't have a propensity here. And the people from that country are not any different than you or me. China (the country - government) doesn't protect intellectual property like we do. And so people do not respect it in the same way within the country. People here would do the same if the US dropped intellectual property protections. In some cases, these are the same people or corporations that treat IP differently in China vs. the US. Corporations especially are good at pushing the boundaries of local laws in different and sometimes contradictory ways. I don't know what this has to do with immigrants in the US. I suppose you think that because of the laws in China, that a student in the US will not respect intellectual property and steal it. But why are we deporting them out of this fear? There are other differences in law, and not just with China, where an immigrant might not observe the law because of what their country of origin does, are we to deport all of them because we suspect them based on their country of origin's laws? This is not making sense.

Likewise, Americans break a lot of laws when they go overseas for much the same reason. Are those nations to think that all Americans can't be trusted or obey local laws?

Ok great, so this is not a reason to deport people.

Reading your posts, you seem to reference white-collar jobs, presumably because that’s what you do, right?

What’s your take on how the massive influx of illegal immigration - both currently, and over the past 20 years, as affected blue collar jobs -mainly low skilled and medium skilled labor.

In Southern California, whites and blacks pretty much owned the trades, with the Japanese cornering the landscaping industry. Then when the Mexicans started coming across illegally, they undercut predominantly the blacks and Japanese out of those jobs. Generally speaking, the whites became GC’s and business owners within the trades, but they couldn’t compete for bids competitively, unless they hired the same illegal labor that had undercut them in the first place.

Eventually many of the Mexicans gained citizenship, and became the Blue Collar business owners themselves, but the problem still to this day persists…that you have to higher illegal labor in order to compete for bids, as you can’t afford to hire union guys and pay those kind of wages, benefits and taxes. It goes without saying that I’m talking primarily about the residential/small business side of the trades.

But now that the Central Americans are here in droves, they’re undercutting the Mexicans in wages. And this is a problem on BOTH sides of the border in regards to unskilled labor. We can pretend that these illegals coming from the southern border spread out through the country, but history has proven itself that the vast majority stay in the states they came through….Arizona, California and Texas.

Thinking practically, the massive influx of migrants (as well as the prison system…but that’s an entirely different conversation), is a huge untapped resource for cheap labor on a federal level. I mean, it’s not like we have a TON of infrastructure that needs to be built. Sounds like this would be a perfect opportunity to make use of unskilled labor at low costs, while over time training them to be medium-skilled labor.

But that’s where labor unions come in…

Subsequently, when it comes to large-contract government jobs, the labor unions get picked up at exorbitant costs….much MUCH MUCH higher if you were to bid out the job in the private sector. But the government’s hands are tied (especially the democrats, but not exclusively) because labor unions are massive donors when it comes to fundraising.

Where I’m going with (most) of this, that purely from the “job market” side of the economic burden this places on these states and the country, the massive influx of Central Americans takes away the low-skilled jobs that the already existing black and brown communities largely depend on. White collar jobs by in large, are largely unaffected

Reading your posts, you seem to reference white-collar jobs, presumably because that’s what you do, right?

Actually I was talking about it because it's those jobs that @Joey D is primarily concerned about. He didn't mind the low or unskilled work being performed by immigrants at all. So I focused my discussion on where his concerns were. You have the opposite concern it seems. And this is what I was getting about regarding the two different incompatible takes on immigrant work - that only the unskilled work is suitable for outsiders vs. that only the skilled work is suitable for outsiders. Neither of these is correct of course.

What’s your take on how the massive influx of illegal immigration - both currently, and over the past 20 years, as affected blue collar jobs -mainly low skilled and medium skilled labor.

In Southern California, whites and blacks pretty much owned the trades, with the Japanese cornering the landscaping industry. Then when the Mexicans started coming across illegally, they undercut predominantly the blacks and Japanese out of those jobs. Generally speaking, the whites became GC’s and business owners within the trades, but they couldn’t compete for bids competitively, unless they hired the same illegal labor that had undercut them in the first place.

Eventually many of the Mexicans gained citizenship, and became the Blue Collar business owners themselves, but the problem still to this day persists…that you have to higher illegal labor in order to compete for bids, as you can’t afford to hire union guys and pay those kind of wages, benefits and taxes. It goes without saying that I’m talking primarily about the residential/small business side of the trades.

But now that the Central Americans are here in droves, they’re undercutting the Mexicans in wages. And this is a problem on BOTH sides of the border in regards to unskilled labor. We can pretend that these illegals coming from the southern border spread out through the country, but history has proven itself that the vast majority stay in the states they came through….Arizona, California and Texas.

Thinking practically, the massive influx of migrants (as well as the prison system…but that’s an entirely different conversation), is a huge untapped resource for cheap labor on a federal level. I mean, it’s not like we have a TON of infrastructure that needs to be built. Sounds like this would be a perfect opportunity to make use of unskilled labor at low costs, while over time training them to be medium-skilled labor.

But that’s where labor unions come in…

Subsequently, when it comes to large-contract government jobs, the labor unions get picked up at exorbitant costs….much MUCH MUCH higher if you were to bid out the job in the private sector. But the government’s hands are tied (especially the democrats, but not exclusively) because labor unions are massive donors when it comes to fundraising.

You're just casually grouping by race over and over again. I would recommend that you stop seeing the world through the lens of skin color.

Where I’m going with (most) of this, that purely from the “job market” side of the economic burden this places on these states and the country, the massive influx of Central Americans takes away the low-skilled jobs that the already existing black and brown communities largely depend on. White collar jobs by in large, are largely unaffected

I didn't see any economic burden on the states and the country in your rather interesting historical take. You seem to argue that certain segments of the population have become unemployed by it, but that's not something you actually established. You just kinda handwaved at it. I guess you assume that I'll care about the distinction between a white person being employed in farming vs. a brown person being employed in farming. I don't. Maybe you think I care about an American being employed in a farm vs. a non-American being employed in a farm. I don't.

I'm not convinced that illegal immigration has been a financial hardship for many. But even if it were, you'd have to convince me that I should care about the financial hardship of one vs. another, and what are we basing that on? Skin color? Language? Nationality? Why are we basing it on these things?

The US has a low unemployment rate today. It is low not just with respect to recent years, but historically so. I'd like for you to do a better job of motivating the hardship that is being caused. Mostly it seems like you want me to care about demographics, and I don't see why I should or why you should.

Actually I was talking about it because it's those jobs that @Joey D is primarily concerned about. He didn't mind the low or unskilled work being performed by immigrants at all. So I focused my discussion on where his concerns were. You have the opposite concern it seems. And this is what I was getting about regarding the two different incompatible takes on immigrant work - that only the unskilled work is suitable for outsiders vs. that only the skilled work is suitable for outsiders. Neither of these is correct of course.

You're just casually grouping by race over and over again. I would recommend that you stop seeing the world through the lens of skin color.

I didn't see any economic burden on the states and the country in your rather interesting historical take. You seem to argue that certain segments of the population have become unemployed by it, but that's not something you actually established. You just kinda handwaved at it. I guess you assume that I'll care about the distinction between a white person being employed in farming vs. a brown person being employed in farming. I don't. Maybe you think I care about an American being employed in a farm vs. a non-American being employed in a farm. I don't.

I'm not convinced that illegal immigration has been a financial hardship for many. But even if it were, you'd have to convince me that I should care about the financial hardship of one vs. another, and what are we basing that on? Skin color? Language? Nationality? Why are we basing it on these things?

The US has a low unemployment rate today. It is low not just with respect to recent years, but historically so. I'd like for you to do a better job of motivating the hardship that is being caused. Mostly it seems like you want me to care about demographics, and I don't see why I should or why you should.

Ignoring how this does effect specific races within the job market, is ignoring reality.

Nice try tho

The more people in a country, the jobs are needed to support that growing population. Immigration isn't a jobs problem...or at least it isn't a "not enough jobs" to go around problem. They'll create work just by existing and needing to do something. That's the whole thing.

The bigger problem, IMO, is lack of anything between poorly paid service jobs and white collar jobs that require significant investment (money, education, time) to get into. The jobs in between started shipping out under Reagan, because he allowed it and it made sense for companies to do it. I see the biggest problems in cities where, other than low paying service gigs, there just isn't much to do if you don't have a 4+ year college education. The cost of living in a city like Oakland (for instance) makes it really hard for somebody to...idk...start a furniture manufacturing company with local labor, because it will be way more expensive than equivalent products from overseas. I don't know what the solution is. Tariffs have a lot of unintended consequences. Leaning on automation doesn't solve the original problem. The US has become so specialized that we can't afford our own ****. :lol: Its like the US economy is compressing to a point where everyone's job is just to entertain everyone else, the content creator singularity.

Ignoring how this does effect specific races within the job market, is ignoring reality.

Nice try tho

Since you're so worried about "blacks" getting undercut and having a tough time making ends meet, I assume you're all in favor of reforming things like qualified immunity - you know, something that would actually help alleviate a problem that disproportionately lands on black people.

Last edited:
Since you're so worried about "blacks" getting undercut and having a tough time making ends meet, I assume you're all in favor of reforming things like qualified immunity - you know, something that would actually help alleviate a problem that disproportionately lands on black people.

Oh great. Now you’re going to take a conversation about the many intricacies and effects of illegal immigration, and parlay it into a conversation about qualified immunity and policing of black neighborhoods. Another subject I’m POSITIVE you have no first hand knowledge of

😂

Oh great. Now you’re going to take a conversation about the many intricacies and effects of illegal immigration, and parlay it into a conversation about qualified immunity and policing of black neighborhoods. Another subject I’m POSITIVE you have no first hand knowledge of

😂

I don't actually want to talk about qualified immunity. I'm saying you're a hypocrite for claiming to be concerned for the plight of black people, because you're obviously not.

You want to make generalizations about people disproportionately affected, and unemployed, because of immigration, based on race, with absolutely nothing to back it up, and for no apparent reason. But when such a discussion might actually matter you run from it. You want to protect what... "blacks" and "Mexicans" (who are apparently US citizens but still referred to as Mexicans) from unemployment via illegal immigration? I don't think you care. The reason I don't think you care is because you run from qualified immunity and support criminalizing Hispanic descent (wasn't that you? Tell me if that's someone else). These are actual issues that are targeted specifically at these demographics.

Edit:

Yea that was you.

Last edited:
I don't actually want to talk about qualified immunity. I'm saying you're a hypocrite for claiming to be concerned for the plight of black people, because you're obviously not.

You want to make generalizations about people disproportionately affected, and unemployed, because of immigration, based on race, with absolutely nothing to back it up, and for no apparent reason. But when such a discussion might actually matter you run from it. You want to protect what... "blacks" and "Mexicans" (who are apparently US citizens but still referred to as Mexicans) from unemployment via illegal immigration? I don't think you care. The reason I don't think you care is because you run from qualified immunity and support criminalizing Hispanic descent (wasn't that you? Tell me if that's someone else). These are actual issues that are targeted specifically at these demographics.

Edit:

Yea that was you.

And these are ACTUAL ISSUES, that you clearly have no first hand knowledge of.

….Very nuanced issues. Issues that require very nuanced, and sometimes hypocritical approaches - when looked under the microscope. But judging by your responses that lack nuance, and are riddled by talking points that is indicative of someone who lacks any first-hand experience in said subject matter.

Yeah…idk man. I give you credit for being smart and having the ability to look at complicated issues from all 6 sides. And while I still give you that credit, I have a tickle in my mind that says your of the “lets burn it down and start over” stance.

Which is fine. To each their own. Seriously.

But the only people who think that way, are young, naive and lack life experience. Or those who are well-off and insulated

Last edited:
And these are ACTUAL ISSUES, that you clearly have no first hand knowledge of.

I don't make such assumptions about you, and I would recommend that you don't about me.

….Very nuanced issues. Issues that require very nuanced, and sometimes hypocritical approaches - when looked under the microscope. But judging by your responses that lack nuance, and are riddled by talking points that is indicative of someone who lacks any first-hand experience in said subject matter.

You don't seem to be the king of nuance. No offense intended. I wouldn't have expected you to describe yourself in this way. Many of your posts suggest a ham-fisted approach rather than anything resembling nuance. I feel like a lot of the time everyone else is walking you through the nuance, which I am right now regarding illegal immigration.

Yeah…idk man. I give you credit for being smart and having the ability to look at complicated issues from all 6 sides. And while I still give you that credit, I have a tickle in my mind that says your of the “lets burn it down and start over” stance.

I don't know why you have that "tickle". I'm not sure what it means or why it's remotely related.

But the only people who think that way, are young, naive and lack life experience. Or those who are well-off and insulated

Cynicism and hypocrisy can sometimes be mistaken for wisdom. I still don't think you care about the people you pretended to care about a few seconds ago.

Back