America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
We have a whole thread of examples of police brutality and abuse of qualified immunity which disproportionately target and concretely affect immigrants and minorities. I've yet to see any documented examples of immigrants taking er jerbs stories in this forum so it doesn't sound like a very effective way to convince Latinos and African-Americans to pull up the ladder. It seems to me like the people making the loudest calls to do this are the "well-off and insulated".

Last edited:
Always interesting how it's "Brown people are stealing jobs" & never, "How about the dudes hiring them for cheap labor under the table knowing their immigration status"....
No, that wouldn't happen would it.

According to court documents, from 2010 until December 2014, Asplundh, an industry leader in tree trimming and brush clearance for power and gas lines, hired and rehired employees in many regions in the United States accepting identification documents it knew to be false and fraudulent. A six-year HSI audit and investigation revealed that the company decentralized its hiring so Sponsors (the highest levels of management) could remain willfully blind while Supervisors and General Foremen (2nd and 3rd level supervisors) hired ineligible workers, including unauthorized aliens, in the field. Hiring was by word of mouth referrals rather than through any systematic application process. This manner of hiring enabled Supervisors and General Foremen to hire a work force that was readily available and at their disposal.

This decentralized model tacitly perpetuated fraudulent hiring practices that, in turn, maximized productivity and profit. With a motivated work force, including unauthorized aliens willing to be relocated and respond to weather related events around the nation, Asplundh had crews which were easily mobilized that enabled them to dominate the market. Asplundh provided all the incentives to managers to skirt immigration law.

I don't make such assumptions about you, and I would recommend that you don't about me.

You don't seem to be the king of nuance. No offense intended. I wouldn't have expected you to describe yourself in this way. Many of your posts suggest a ham-fisted approach rather than anything resembling nuance. I feel like a lot of the time everyone else is walking you through the nuance, which I am right now regarding illegal immigration.

I don't know why you have that "tickle". I'm not sure what it means or why it's remotely related.

Cynicism and hypocrisy can sometimes be mistaken for wisdom. I still don't think you care about the people you pretended to care about a few seconds ago.

Never claimed to be the king of nuance. Not the least bit. But the very idea that even though I have identified myself here as a Republican, but can surmise what both sides are trying to accomplish (which you describe as ‘conspiracy theories’), shows that you are much more tied to a political ideology than me. The fact that I HAVE to walk you through how ethnicities, and people who end up on the downside of this recent influx of immigration (….the same people that MSNBC and CNN tell you “Republicans don’t care about”, further supports my assumptions that you haven’t exactly denied either. But in the internets, via keyboards, without really knowing one another…that’s all we’re left with are we not?….assumptions. Next time I’m in Utah for a motorcycle race or football, we should grab a beer 👍🏼

We have a whole thread of examples of police brutality and abuse of qualified immunity which disproportionately target and concretely affect immigrants and minorities. I've yet to see any documented examples of immigrants taking er jerbs stories in this forum so it doesn't sound like a very convincing way to convince Latinos and African-Americans to pull up the ladder. It seems to me like the people making the loudest calls to do this are the "well-off and insulated".

For as many times as police get law enforcement wrong in impoverished communities, they get it right exponentially more. Of course people will never hear about it though, because it’s not exactly sexy

Always interesting how it's "Brown people are stealing jobs" & never, "How about the dudes hiring them for cheap labor under the table knowing their immigration status"....

The problem is enforcement and OPTICS.

While I 100% agree with you, what does the enforcement of this even look like? Creating an agency that follows leads and goes into businesses asking for immigration status reminiscent of WWII Germany and the Gestapo?

For as many times as police get law enforcement wrong in impoverished communities, they get it right exponentially more. Of course people will never hear about it though, because it’s not exactly sexy
It shouldn't be remarkable when they get it right because that should be the norm. That shouldn't require tv broadcasts and news articles. And it's no reason to throw the victims of miscarriages of justice under the bus as you seem to want to do here by trying to minimise their plight.

Concentrating on things that can be independently verified isn't about publicity stunts and optics. It's about people doing what's right.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be remarkable when they get it right because that should be the norm. That shouldn't require tv broadcasts and news articles. And it's no reason to throw the victims of miscarriages of justice under the bus as you seem to want to do here by trying to minimise their plight.

Concentrating on things that can be independently verified isn't about publicity stunts and optics. It's about people doing what's right.

I don’t disagree with any of this. And why I will always side with the public in regards to blatant abuses of power, but there is a certain amount of “law of averages” in regards to bad seeds that needs to be considered, in relation to how many times officers interact with the public under “law enforcing” circumstances.

And if a person spent any considerable amount of time in these rough areas, then they would understand how remarkably difficult it is to police the areas, in current time.

We won’t go into detail how much of the police forces that police these areas actually resemble the ethnic makeup of said areas (from my perspective in major California cities at least). But I have no clue why ANYONE would want to be a police officer this day in age

Last edited:
And why I will always side with the public in regards to blatant abuses of power, but
Predictably, the "but" reveals that which precedes it isn't sincere.
there is a certain amount of “law of averages” in regards to bad seeds that needs to be considered
Nope. There is a certain amount of accounting of the rights violations perpetrated by "bad seeds" that needs to be undertaken.

Also, if the "bad seeds" aren't being arrested by the "good seeds," there are no "good seeds."

But I have no clue why ANYONE would want to be a police officer this day in age
In spite of the occasional accounting of rights violations perpetrated by "bad seeds," there is still no group which enjoys more latitude and benefit of the doubt after having perpetrated rights violations--even natural rights, not just those guaranteed by statute or the constitutional provision--than those tasked with enforcing the law. Seems like a pretty cush gig to me.

The problem is enforcement and OPTICS.

While I 100% agree with you, what does the enforcement of this even look like? Creating an agency that follows leads and goes into businesses asking for immigration status reminiscent of WWII Germany and the Gestapo?
So these people don't belong here & are stealing jobs, but a business is allowed to protect them b/c the govt. potentially checking into them for harboring illegals could be seen as reminiscent of Nazis?

It's a crime to harbor illegals knowingly in your company & the government checking your company isn't some sort of "over reach". If one is so against illegals being here by any means, one must also want businesses participating in their being here illegally held to the same standards.

Last edited:
It's a crime to harbor illegals knowingly in your company & the government checking your company isn't some sort of "over reach". If one is so against illegals being here by any means, one must also want businesses participating in their being here illegally held to the same standards.
Not just a crime, but a crime subject to federal enforcement under 8 U.S.C. § 1324.

So these people don't belong here & are stealing jobs, but a business is allowed to protect them b/c the govt. potentially checking into them for harboring illegals could be seen as reminiscent of Nazis?

Well sure. If you’re willing to deal in the realm of only what the letter of the law says.

But you’re also smart enough to know that the world, and law is full of nuance.

FWIW, I wasn’t quoting your post as a vehicle of confrontation. But rather, a discussion point. Even though I am very much against illegal immigration, mind has to be paid towards what practical enforcement of illegal immigration looks like

Predictably, the "but" reveals that which precedes it isn't sincere.

Nope. There is a certain amount of accounting of the rights violations perpetrated by "bad seeds" that needs to be undertaken.

Also, if the "bad seeds" aren't being arrested by the "good seeds," there are no "good seeds."

In spite of the occasional accounting of rights violations perpetrated by "bad seeds," there is still no group which enjoys more latitude and benefit of the doubt after having perpetrated rights violations--even natural rights, not just those guaranteed by statute or the constitutional provision--than those tasked with enforcing the law. Seems like a pretty cush gig to me.

You sound like the perfect candidate to be part of the “police reform” to me, champ. One thing’s for sure, police departments are in desperate need of level-headed fellows like you

Last edited:
But the very idea that even though I have identified myself here as a Republican, but can surmise what both sides are trying to accomplish (which you describe as ‘conspiracy theories’), shows that you are much more tied to a political ideology than me.

You see how self-referential that is right? Because you have a conspiracy theory, it shows that you're somehow smarter or wiser. Somehow in your mind I'm tied to a political ideology which is, let me see if I can follow this, preventing me from seeing conspiracies? Did I get that right? Honestly I don't even know what that means.

The fact that I HAVE to walk you through how ethnicities, and people who end up on the downside of this recent influx of immigration (….the same people that MSNBC and CNN tell you “Republicans don’t care about”, further supports my assumptions that you haven’t exactly denied either. But in the internets, via keyboards, without really knowing one another…that’s all we’re left with are we not?….assumptions. Next time I’m in Utah for a motorcycle race or football, we should grab a beer 👍🏼

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that immigration (or much of anything at all) lands exactly proportionately on every possible grouping of ethnicity or skin color. So if you're thinking that I don't understand that, for example because something affects poor people, or rich people, disproportionately, that it might also affect other demographics (like according to skin color), disproportionately... well I do understand that. I just don't see why you're so focused on it or why it's some kind of source of self esteem or wisdom behind your worldview. If it is disproportionate, it's because economically it's disproportionate - which is true of all economic things. I find it odd for you to harp on this "nuance". I don't know what the point is. Are you saying democrats are racist because they like immigration or something? That's fairly... contradictory. Are you saying that Republicans actually care about these groups? Because they do insane things like criminalize Hispanic descent and defend it. So that doesn't make sense. It seems like the whole thing is a way to hide the intent.

You're painting it as wisdom but it seems like distraction.

I actually agree with you that police do more good than harm in general to all communities in the US. But that doesn't mean they can't do a hell of a lot better with some pretty basic and important moves - like striking or at least curtailing the insane practice of qualified immunity. More good than harm is not a high bar.

Last edited:
Well sure. If you’re willing to deal in the realm of only what the letter of the law says.

But you’re also smart enough to know that the world, and law is full of nuance.
If you knowingly hire illegal immigrants to pay under the table, you're guilty of a crime. There's no, "Well...." approach here. They're not supposed to be in the country, therefore, you shouldn't be hiring them.
FWIW, I wasn’t quoting your post as a vehicle of confrontation. But rather, a discussion point. Even though I am very much against illegal immigration, mind has to be paid towards what practical enforcement of illegal immigration looks like
If they're going to investigate, they're clearly going to need to have a justified & reasonable cause to do so. If the business is found to be harboring illegals for cheap labor, then it has committed a legitimate crime that appears to result in a fine & up to 10 years maximum.

The mere idea of investigating such a suspected crime is a big difference from being a "reminiscent" of the Gestapo who literally sent innocents to their deaths....

Last edited:
So checking papers at the workplace is reminiscent of Gestapo, but checking papers at the border isn’t?

I don’t disagree with any of this. And why I will always side with the public in regards to blatant abuses of power, but there is a certain amount of “law of averages” in regards to bad seeds that needs to be considered, in relation to how many times officers interact with the public under “law enforcing” circumstances.

And if a person spent any considerable amount of time in these rough areas, then they would understand how remarkably difficult it is to police the areas, in current time.
And how much of that is due to historical police behaviour? Much like Israel and Palestine, a lot of these areas have such a long history of violence and distrust between the public and the police that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy on both sides.

And much like Israel and Palestine, one side is mostly just normal people doing what they think they need to in order to defend themselves and get through the day, while the other is a trained and organised group with significant resources. Somebody has to start the change, and one side is markedly better equipped to be able to do so constructively.
But I have no clue why ANYONE would want to be a police officer this day in age
Right. Because it's a system set up to fail. The system as constructed is really not great at doing what it is on paper supposed to be doing, maintaining the health and safety of the citizens, preventing disorder, enforcing the law. It's not a system of civil servants helping people live lives in harmony and protecting the weak from threats, it's a system of enforcers stomping anyone who looks like they might get out of line.

The people who want to be police officers are mostly the people who want to be the boot, which just makes the whole thing worse. Again, self-fulfilling prophecy. And it doesn't take much. If you had a 1 in 10,000 chance of being shot going to the DMV then it would really colour every interaction you had with the DMV, even if it seems like the chances of anything happening to you personally are low.

There's a good podcast by Reply All called The Crime Machine that goes into how a system created in New York with good intentions to improve policing and public safety ended up being twisted and abused for corruption.

I'm sure the same sort of story applies to a lot of places. Certainly the mindset that "this is how modern policing is done" seems widespread, despite a lot of it being kind of insane when viewed without prejudice.
It's worse than that. If the system makes it so that any "good seeds" are unable to bring "bad seeds" to justice, then the system itself is ensuring that it's impossible to be a "good seed".

I just want to check I've understood something right.

There's this good-looking all-American guy, who's a pro footballer. Dude was born in Ohio, plays football for a team (with a slightly problematic name that likely wasn't intended as racist but wouldn't fly today) in the Bible Belt, and is apparently a good Christian. He's very successful too, setting sporting records

His girlfriend is as American as you get. Similarly good-looking, she's originally from Pennsylvania but moved to and now lives in Tennessee, started out as a country singer and went into more folk/alt-rock/pop direction, and is also apparently Christian (and went to a Catholic Montessori school). She's also highly successful.

They're even called Travis and Taylor.

And Republicans... hate them?

It's worse than that. If the system makes it so that any "good seeds" are unable to bring "bad seeds" to justice, then the system itself is ensuring that it's impossible to be a "good seed".
Eeyup.

There's this good-looking all-American guy, who's a pro footballer. Dude was born in Ohio, plays football for a team (with a slightly problematic name that likely wasn't intended as racist but wouldn't fly today) in the Bible Belt, and is apparently a good Christian. He's very successful too, setting sporting records

His girlfriend is as American as you get. Similarly good-looking, she's originally from Pennsylvania but moved to and now lives in Tennessee, started out as a country singer and went into more folk/alt-rock/pop direction, and is also apparently Christian (and went to a Catholic Montessori school). She's also highly successful.

Yes but it's not like it's petty or anything. Travis and Taylor have the wrong opinions.

Yes but it's not like it's petty or anything. Travis and Taylor have the wrong opinions.
Petty was kinda progressive himself, especially after he dropped the confederate flag.

Perhaps the anti-Swifties somehow see these two as traitors to their cause, or are scared they're influencing large parts of the GOP's intended base demographic. More likely they're just piggybacking on her enormous popularity to generate clicks and controversy.

I've yet to watch an American football game or listen to a Taylor Swift record but she doesn't sound like she wants to mould young people's political beliefs as they fear. It sounds like all she wants to do is rock the vote and make young people politically aware enough to make their own decisions. I figure that's what the T&T hate squad are scared of.

Last edited:
Petty was kinda progressive himself, especially after he dropped the confederate flag.

Perhaps the anti-Swifties somehow see these two as traitors to their cause, or are scared they're influencing large parts of the GOP's intended base demographic. More likely they're just piggybacking on her enormous popularity to generate clicks and controversy.

I've yet to watch an American football game or listen to a Taylor Swift record but she doesn't sound like she wants to mould young people's political beliefs as they fear. It sounds like all she wants to do is rock the vote and make young people politically aware enough to make their own decisions. I figure that's what the T&T hate squad are scared of.
Agreed. I'd rather see people get educated and vote than see people mindlessly vote for someone without understanding who is being selected. Unlike popularity contests (hah), voting has a tad more at stake.

Last edited:

The Republicans cannot afford to lose the white blonde pretty Christian vote! You think anyone wants to be in the group that only has Ben Shapiro and Ted Cruz acolytes?? Even Ted Cruz can't stand being around Ted Cruz.

The Republicans cannot afford to lose the white blonde pretty Christian vote! You think anyone wants to be in the group that only has Ben Shapiro and Ted Cruz acolytes?? Even Ted Cruz can't stand being around Ted Cruz.
So it's a good thing they have decided Swifties are evil. They are trying to make 40D chess moves like Elon!

I saw some news footage of Joe Biden saluting the caskets of the soldiers killed in Jordan.

He looks like he really cares, I'll give him that.

You know what they say, Haters gonna hate hate hate hate.

You see how self-referential that is right? Because you have a conspiracy theory, it shows that you're somehow smarter or wiser. Somehow in your mind I'm tied to a political ideology which is, let me see if I can follow this, preventing me from seeing conspiracies? Did I get that right? Honestly I don't even know what that means.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that immigration (or much of anything at all) lands exactly proportionately on every possible grouping of ethnicity or skin color. So if you're thinking that I don't understand that, for example because something affects poor people, or rich people, disproportionately, that it might also affect other demographics (like according to skin color), disproportionately... well I do understand that. I just don't see why you're so focused on it or why it's some kind of source of self esteem or wisdom behind your worldview. If it is disproportionate, it's because economically it's disproportionate - which is true of all economic things. I find it odd for you to harp on this "nuance". I don't know what the point is. Are you saying democrats are racist because they like immigration or something? That's fairly... contradictory. Are you saying that Republicans actually care about these groups? Because they do insane things like criminalize Hispanic descent and defend it. So that doesn't make sense. It seems like the whole thing is a way to hide the intent.

You're painting it as wisdom but it seems like distraction.

I actually agree with you that police do more good than harm in general to all communities in the US. But that doesn't mean they can't do a hell of a lot better with some pretty basic and important moves - like striking or at least curtailing the insane practice of qualified immunity. More good than harm is not a high bar.

Admittedly, I had to read this a few times to figure out what you're getting at, so I'll try to answer it as best I can. I don't think any political party actually cares about the ongoing decades-old immigration problem. I think their only interest in it, is how they can benefit from it politically to gain more power and influence. I'm sure I'm wrong, but it seems like Republicans have been the most consistent in their stance. Whereas the Democrats, have wavered very significantly from the Clinton era, the early 2000's, the Obama era, the Trump era, and to where we are now. You look at where the democrats were during the Trump era, to just before when Obama was in office, its nearly a complete 180....from a messaging point of view at least. Besides, I've been in enough closed door sessions with some somewhat prominent politicians (they loooooooooove coming by the station and union meetings for photo ops and endorsements come election time...never to be seen again until 4 years later) to know that generally speaking, the person they are when given the ability to let their hair down, is usually not the person they are in front of a camera, or in office. I don't fault them for anything. They're politicians, and politics is their career. It goes without saying that typically, they'll say whatever it takes to get elected - with their actions being that of the least amount of follow-through possible. There's a reason why bad neighborhoods around the country never get better.

It's an interesting perspective when I spend over half my life in these real bad neighborhoods, and get to go home to my little house in a nice, liberal neighborhood. It's literally living in both the world of the "haves" and "have-nots".

Not sure what you exactly mean by my "wisdom", but you have called into question how much I actually care about these communities, and how much I've experienced myself. Not saying my lens is unique at all, but I think it is unique to this audience, as I've proudly worked in these communities since I was 20 years old. Literally have spent more than half my life over the past 20 years in the worst parts of the Los Angeles area, having watched neighborhoods go from bad, to worse. Is it due to illegal immigration exclusively? Of course not. That's ridiculous. But a lot of the sex trafficking, gang violence, drugs (which heavily contribute to the gang violence, regardless of that specific gangs predominant race), DOES stem from America's inability to control our borders over the course of decades. And those border failures do have a palatable impact on these communities, both directly and down-river. My world view has primarily been influenced and evolved because of what I do, and where I do it, but also because I've been fortunate enough to do a fair bit of traveling - with 99% of it being 3rd world. As it pertains to this immigration conversation I suppose, I've been going down to Mexico since I was 16...and have watched it change significantly over the course of almost 25 years. I've probably spent a total of 4-5 months in Central America over the years (highlighted by a solo trip I took for my 30th birthday, where I spent 27 days making it up and down the coasts of Costa Rica and Nicaragua). Been a few other places that we get a fair bit of illegal immigrants from, but we'll keep it to Central America. Granted, I don't live in these countries and I'm not an immigrant myself, but I feel I have a decent understanding of how they operate, and how bad they can be. Besides, being shaken down at gunpoint by Federales (both real and fake) probably 2 dozen times in my life at the cost of probably a couple grand, and brushing into kidnapping schemes a few times (ok, I'll admit it....that 'push button motel' incident my first time in Panama was my fault. I know better, and never should have got myself into THAT SORT of situation 😂). Plus, a lot of my off-duty hobbies are done with Cops, Military types, FBI dudes, border patrol peeps - those types of people....as we all tend to find each other over time - probably because we're of the few lucky ones that get to enjoy hobbies at non-peak hours during the weekdays when everyone else is at work. Needless to say, I glean a lot of information from them. So when I give a perspective of how I personally think illegal immigration has affected many different aspects within impoverished neighborhoods be it drugs, gangs, job market loss etc. It's because I actually see it, and talk to these people and ask their opinion. It's not really stuff I read about, or see on TV. But I'm always open to new perspectives.

You can call it wisdom painted as a distraction if you like. I just call it life experience.

If you knowingly hire illegal immigrants to pay under the table, you're guilty of a crime. There's no, "Well...." approach here. They're not supposed to be in the country, therefore, you shouldn't be hiring them.

If they're going to investigate, they're clearly going to need to have a justified & reasonable cause to do so. If the business is found to be harboring illegals for cheap labor, then it has committed a legitimate crime that appears to result in a fine & up to 10 years maximum.

The mere idea of investigating such a suspected crime is a big difference from being a "reminiscent" of the Gestapo who literally sent innocents to their deaths....

You're not going to get an argument from me on this. I'm in 100% agreement. What I was getting at is what does a "mass deportation" of a few million illegal immigrants even look like? I used the gestapo example, because that's what I thought of at the time. Besides, if the liberal media and the more outspoken government officials were smart (which they are), they would frame a mass deportation effort as a version of such.

When looking at what a mass deportation effort would even look like, there's a lot of different moving parts....and many more parts that I'm unaware/ignorant of. Like....who's going to do it. Local law enforcement agencies don't have the resources to do it. I doubt the cops in many of the heavily impacted areas even would want to do it. Not to mention it would be a bureaucratic nightmare with local, state and federal agencies trying to carry something like this out. So it would probably get handed to the US Customs and Border Protection. Ok, you're going to need funding - and a lot of it. That'll need bipartisan support (never going to happen). Assuming that you get the funding, you're going to need a MASSIVE INCREASE in personnel. Barely anyone wants to do anything law enforcement related anymore, so good luck with that. They could use the military, but yeah...the optics on that would be horrible...and I doubt the military brass want any of that sort of press. Then you need to organize and find the illegal immigrants, and that will spawn a new cottage industry of in-country human trafficking and concealment. Then you have to figure out how to punish the business owners that knowingly hire illegals. that'll clog up the court system for years.

THEN....

you have the logistical and financial nightmare of transporting a few million illegal immigrants back to their home country, and you're going to be counting on the cooperation of 3rd world countries that were just as happy to watch them leave.... less mouths to feed kinda thing.

All of this and other reasons, is why I somewhat believe the Democrats are letting this happen on purpose. They know how much of logistical nightmare deporting a few million immigrants would be. They're hedging their bets that it won't take place. And I agree with them. Smart politics if you ask me. What any future handling of this illegal immigration influx will look like, will probably be the finishing of the border wall, as the democrats have already done a 180 on that, and some Obama-era level deportation x5. I think the political issue of "illegal immigration" is worth enough to both parties, that neither of them will complete solve it, but they'll come up with a solution together that will be just enough to satisfy their respective voting basis.

That's just my opinion. But you know, I'm a conspiracist 🙄

Do you?

For each topic that comes up, you seem to dismiss and ignore everyone else's anecdotes and experiences but yours are way more important and definitely true.

Not a cop. Just a fireman. I've worked alongside Police every day since I was 20 in really, really bad neighborhoods. I have enough seniority to pretty much go to as good of an area as I want. But I like where I work. I like the people. I like the action. And the vain part of me likes to think that a these type of communities benefit from having experienced people at their beck and call. I'll be there as long as my body holds up...or when it tells me it's time to start slowing down - it's coming. In 20 years, I've seen a few examples of bad policing, countless examples of good policing, and a lot of situations that "look bad" to the casual bystander. But if you are around this stuff for a living, work in these neighborhoods (fwiw, Los Angeles and California breed a certain brand of criminal, being that actual penalties for breaking the law are spotty at best...and the criminals know that) - you gain a certain level of understanding on my Police do what they do. Not saying that they could do some things better, because there's always room for improvement. But in my opinion, 98% of the people in these neighborhoods are great people. It's the 2% that screw it up for everyone else. And the way I see it, those people deserve the same level of comfort, safety and protection that I enjoy in mine. Unfortunately, that comes at the cost of policing in ways that sometimes doesn't look good to the casual bystander. Once again, I'm not going to say that I know everything that goes into policing, or exactly what it's like to live in these communities, but I feel like I have a decent understanding.

But the politicians took an extremely horrific incident with George Floyd, and ran it up the flag pole to set a frenzy of villainizing police officers across the country. The result was predictably what anyone with a brain knew it would be. The impoverished communities suffered the most, and are much worse off than they were before. The police officers backed waaaaay off in enforcement because it's not worth scrutiny when you have a family to feed. And it's not like they were getting much support from the more liberally-minded politicians and pop culture either, which consequently has a strong influence over said communities. It's been wild times, indeed. And a lot of these major cities are attempting to walk back their stance on law enforcement, but the damage has been done within the ranks, and not very many young people wants to be police officers anymore. This one will take a bit to un****.

But back to your second point. I don't ignore people's experiences... I try not to at least. I'll mention it again though, when you spend as much time as people like myself do in rough neighborhoods- only to go home to my safe little community where there's not much to worry about, you get an interesting perspective. I will admit though, it can be pretty amusing to listen to my many liberal and conservative friends takes on law enforcement and these communities, when they really have no friggin' clue what they're talking about outside of what they've seen on the news, heard or read. Most casual takes on policing and how it pertains to impoverished communities, be it a liberal or conservative stance, aren't very accurate...at least in my personal experience. Make of that what you will

Last edited:
When the connie rats say "build the wall," I don't think they mean for it to be a wall of text.

I don't think any political party actually cares about the ongoing decades-old immigration problem.

I was questioning your level of care, not politicians.

I think their only interest in it, is how they can benefit from it politically to gain more power and influence.

Maybe. It's a lot harder to tell these days with Democrats than Republicans because the democrat voter base is (I'm generalizing here) asking for things that will help people while the republican base asks for harm. So even if the politicians are self serving, they ultimately are doing very different things.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but it seems like Republicans have been the most consistent in their stance.

I take it you think this is a virtue.

It's an interesting perspective when I spend over half my life in these real bad neighborhoods, and get to go home to my little house in a nice, liberal neighborhood. It's literally living in both the world of the "haves" and "have-nots".

Not sure what you exactly mean by my "wisdom", but you have called into question how much I actually care about these communities, and how much I've experienced myself. Not saying my lens is unique at all, but I think it is unique to this audience, as I've proudly worked in these communities since I was 20 years old. Literally have spent more than half my life over the past 20 years in the worst parts of the Los Angeles area, having watched neighborhoods go from bad, to worse.

A cop might say the same, and ultimately still not care.

You say you've watched neighborhoods go from bad to worse in LA. I used to live in LA and I watched neighborhoods improve. Granted, I didn't spend much time in south central or wherever you have in mind. Though I have been there.

But a lot of the sex trafficking, gang violence, drugs (which heavily contribute to the gang violence, regardless of that specific gangs predominant race), DOES stem from America's inability to control our borders over the course of decades.

Prostitution and drugs contribute to gang violence only because they're illegal and require illegal means to protect. The problem there is law and law enforcement. "Sex trafficking" is an interesting term, which evokes one thing, but which often gets used to refer to another. So if you mean "sex work" when you say "sex trafficking", you're missing me. If you mean actual sex trafficking, I don't think that most of the measures you're talking about are even related to that issue.

And those border failures do have a palatable impact on these communities, both directly and down-river.

It's tough for me to take this seriously - because you just tried to lay out a case that gang violence is a border failure. Granted, I'm sure that gang violence CAN be influenced by illegal immigration, but gang violence is not a new phenomenon in the particular area you're talking about. If you're taking every incident of gang violence and mentally reinforcing border security as a problem in response, your confirmation bias will run away with that.

It is possible for police to be overrun with crime that floods in from across the boarder. Wherever this might happen, I don't think that the solution is to shut the border. I also don't think building a wall is a solution, or mass deportation.

but I feel I have a decent understanding of how they operate, and how bad they can be.

What you're understanding and observing, is a difference in law - not people.

It's because I actually see it, and talk to these people and ask their opinion.

I do understand that you've seen things you don't like and would like to fix. The reasons for what you've seen, and how to fix it, seem to be where you're struggling. The answer to this CANNOT be that we need to make it criminal to be Hispanic. Whatever it is you've seen, and whatever you've decided is the reason for what you've seen, taking that step is curing the patient with a bullet to the head.

It's not really stuff I read about, or see on TV. But I'm always open to new perspectives.

It's interesting to me that you'd like to say that your interactions are more valid because they're interpersonal rather than researched. And yet you'd like to persuade me and others by having us read something. We're simultaneously not to be informed by reading something, but we should be persuaded by reading what you say. It is an interesting contradiction don't you think?

If you're open to new perspectives, you should be open to where you receive those perspectives. There are pitfalls to getting information in text, or from television. You might not get the whole picture. But talking to someone, or witnessing something in person, ALSO does not give you the whole picture. It's important to augment your personal discussions with a broader understanding of research.

You can call it wisdom painted as a distraction if you like. I just call it life experience.

There are mechanisms within your brain that can turn life experience into consistent reinforcement of incorrect ideas. With enough confirmation bias, it's difficult to remove some of these deeply reinforced concepts. The only way to do it is to constantly challenge yourself, and to take those challenges seriously.

as the democrats have already done a 180 on that

You're talking about the 20 mile thing again aren't you. You're really trying to make a meal out of that.

But the politicians took an extremely horrific incident with George Floyd, and ran it up the flag pole to set a frenzy of villainizing police officers across the country.

Floyd was not a one-off. This is not something that you can reasonably see with first hand experience. You'd HAVE to read about it to understand. You'd need to watch coverage, look up statistics, and learn about the issue from a different perspective than looking to see examples first hand. And it wasn't politicians that were behind the Floyd movement, it was people, who were sick of being treated as they were. And the point was not to villainize anyone, it was to help people understand that it was NOT a one-off situation and that something needs to be done about it.

You missed the boat on all fronts with this issue.

Last edited:
Back