America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,741 comments
Are those numbers for keystone or for reconstructing the current line that runs by the chef?

I believe the whole length of the network will be upgraded to XL as a larger throughput capability is needed and bituminous oil is pumped with the help of gas at pretty high pressure. Whether or not the pipe run that's replaced by the "shortcut" will be kept or dismantled I'm not sure.

If I recall, the Honda Accord has been the United States' best selling car since the early 1990s.

wbHL1ky.png

America thread, statistics, observation, discuss...

Haha okay, it just seemed like an answer to a question I couldn't see :D

So what is it that Americans love so much about the Accord, I wonder? And do Acura do a version or is that brand more for sports branding?

@FoolKiller Excluding trucks, yes. Car and not vehicle. Accord was definitely the top seller for the 1990s, wasn't sure about the 2000s. Camry seems logical.

Honda sells better in urban, metro areas. For everyone else, Dad has an F-150 and mom gets groceries in a Camry.

Sedans in general sell better in urban areas. One of my sisters lives in Phoenix (AZ) and has a Camry. Southeast Michigan on the other hand is mostly rural farmland, so trucks are virtually everywhere. My dad drives his Chevrolet Blazer most of the time and my mom drives her 2015 Traverse, but they own a Silverado since cars, light SUVs, and crossovers can't tow 5-6,000 pounds worth of camper or Jeep on trailer.

For everyone else, Dad has an F-150 and mom gets groceries in a Camry.
Between this, bourbon, and coal I have no clue why Kentucky can seem like such a bass ackward, poor state in many aspects.

No wait, I remember. A large part of the state drifts into Bible Belt territory. Western Kentucky could have a booming winery and bourbon business, with them being able to grow most of their own supply (which Maker's Mark is doing now in central Kentucky) with a great farming location so close to the Mississippi/Ohio convergence and warmer, humid lake-affect weather caused by the Land Between the Lakes wetlands. But no, alcohol is the devil.

I'm curious if they will even accept hemp as an agricultural product when it is ready to go.

Between this, bourbon, and coal I have no clue why Kentucky can seem like such a bass ackward, poor state in many aspects.

No wait, I remember. A large part of the state drifts into Bible Belt territory. Western Kentucky could have a booming winery and bourbon business, with them being able to grow most of their own supply (which Maker's Mark is doing now in central Kentucky) with a great farming location so close to the Mississippi/Ohio convergence and warmer, humid lake-affect weather caused by the Land Between the Lakes wetlands. But no, alcohol is the devil.

I'm curious if they will even accept hemp as an agricultural product when it is ready to go.
If a good chunk of Kentucky still thinks that this is the era of Prohibition, the odds of hemp being accepted as more than an illegal substance are almost surely zero.

nefmR.AuSt.79.jpg

Most of the special circumstances are for golf courses. I grew up in Spencer County. They've only been wet for about five years, and that took a lot of the big city types from Jefferson County/Louisville moving out there in large enough numbers to start winning elections. There have been attempts to make it wet my entire life.

I also know from experience, that even though Fulton County and McCracken Counties are wet, almost no one serves it. As for the moist counties, they have one city that is either wet or allows special circumstances. It isn't like you can buy beer at every station in the place.

Last edited:
Honda sells better in urban, metro areas. For everyone else, Dad has an F-150 and mom gets groceries in a Camry.
A bit opposite down here... Most trucks (just entry level(not ranger/Colorado)) I see don't even have their hitch on the truck.

When I grew up I lived near the county line between Spencer and Bullitt Counties. I could see Bullitt County from my house. When I was young their sheriff was a former KKK leader. One time the power company sent a black man out to read the meters and they received multiple calls that basically came down to, "If he comes back he won't be leaving alive." In high school Bullitt Central and Spencer County students would get in fights after basketball games because we had two black players that were well accepted (not that we didn't have our share of racists) and they were looking to "teach them a lesson."

As the county expanded and has begun to basically become part of the Jefferson County/Louisville area I thought it would be better.

Nope.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...racist-comments-about-black-cincinnati-family
BULLITT COUNTY, Ky. -- A Bullitt County fire chief allegedly refused to help a black Cincinnati family after a traffic accident.

The county's fire chief, Julius Hatfield, was caught on video from a Bullitt County sheriff deputy's body camera using a derogatory term about a family involved in an accident on I-65 that occurred in September.

Louisville TV station WDRB obtained video of the incident. Hatfield is shown helping a white family, offering to save them a bill by changing their tire.

Meanwhile, Hatfield asks the black male driver of the other vehicle for his insurance, registration and license. He then hops into his vehicle with a county deputy to check the man's information.

"Well, I've got a family of four from Cincinnati, I got to do something with," the Bullitt County deputy said in the video.
Hatfield replied, "We ain't taking no n------ here." Then he laughs.

Chege Mwangi, the black male driver, told WDRB that he didn't receive the same treatment from the fire department as the white family. He said he saw officials helping the other family and didn't offer to help his family.

But, he said he didn't think much of it because the other family was injured and his family wasn't. He said he mostly dealt with the sheriff's department, not the fire department.

Reporters from WDRB asked Hatfield about his language used at the I-65 crash. He said he "doesn't remember the incident and sometimes there is a slip of the tongue."
Occasionally I forget how much of a racist I am and let it slip out. I have trouble with forgetting I don't wear my hood to work.

Notice, nothing in the report says that the deputy who caught it on his body camera said or did anything about it.

Occasionally I forget how much of a racist I am and let it slip out. I have trouble with forgetting I don't wear my hood to work.
Are you actually racist though? Or do you simply discriminate? Do you truly feel in your heart that, for example, black people are legitimately inferior to white people? Or does your inner social geographer and economist actually understand the big picture and therefore sees the truth behind the stereotypes?

I'm not racist. I discriminate like a hungry black kid in a Jordan outlet but I'm not racist.

This is the worst map ever for colourblind people. I can't tell wet from dry with special circumstances counties apart, there's white for dry, green for moist, and then just a mass of purpley confusion. Guess I'll stick to restaurants and golf courses if I ever go to Kentucky :lol:

Are you actually racist though? Or do you simply discriminate? Do you truly feel in your heart that, for example, black people are legitimately inferior to white people? Or does your inner social geographer and economist actually understand the big picture and therefore sees the truth behind the stereotypes?

I'm not racist. I discriminate like a hungry black kid in a Jordan outlet but I'm not racist.
Methinks he was poking fun at the guy in the article saying that was a "slip of the tongue". As if someone can just accidentally let something like slip and not really mean it.

By all means, we know you're not actually racist so continue with the casual racism. I'm sure you have black friends so it's OK.

By all means, we know you're not actually racist so continue with the casual racism. I'm sure you have black friends so it's OK.
I do, and the fact that black kids have a penchant for the newest Jordans doesn't have any bearing on whether they're objectively better or worse than anybody of any other race. Black kids liking Jordans isn't even slightly racist but it is definitely the truest stereotype you've heard all day.

@Keef you just need to say that you will stop stereotyping when you're wrong. That's what I tell my wife.

And proof that I have a black friend.

image.jpg

His name is Token Ernest and he claims he only started feeling the weather got too hot after he got a white man's kidney. He also makes more racial jokes than anyone I know. He embraces the stereotypes. Seeing chicken and waffles catered at his birthday party was priceless.

So, after refusing to make good on their threat to shirt-front Vladimir Putin, our government has decided to shirt-front Obama over his comments about their commitment to protect the Great Barrier Reef. In fact, they are so committed, they have given approval to developers to dredge the area and dump tailings there to make it easier for cargo ships to export coal out of Queensland.

@FoolKiller Interesting graphic. As someone who isn't from the United States or North American, the three things one thinks of when one thinks of Kentucky are chicken, horse racing and bourbon. I didn't really know just how alive dry counties are in the 21st century and certainly not in Kentucky. You said it's due to germination with the Bible belt; is it Quakers, Mormons or another sect?

@FoolKiller Interesting graphic. As someone who isn't from the United States or North American, the three things one thinks of when one thinks of Kentucky are chicken, horse racing and bourbon. I didn't really know just how alive dry counties are in the 21st century and certainly not in Kentucky. You said it's due to germination with the Bible belt; is it Quakers, Mormons or another sect?

Quakers and mormons? :lol: Southern Baptists, my friend. Most states in the south are like this. There aren't many bars in Arkansas because most of the counties are dry. The only people that drink alcohol are the stay-at-home drunks that slam a 24-case of Bud Light per hour.

Quakers and mormons?

Forgive my ignorance. 'Southern Baptist', 'Evangelicism', 'Presbytarian' or whatever are as completely blurred to me as Coke and Pepsi, or Marlboro and Camel, might be to someone else.

Southern Baptists, my friend. Most states in the south are like this. There aren't many bars in Arkansas because most of the counties are dry. The only people that drink alcohol are the stay-at-home drunks that slam a 24-case of Bud Light per hour.

Daft question but... are these stay at home drunks not breaking the law if they're slamming Buds in a dry county? Just trying to get an understanding of how it works. Dry Sundays in most places in Wales ended about 30 years before I was born.

Quakers and mormons? :lol: Southern Baptists, my friend. Most states in the south are like this. There aren't many bars in Arkansas because most of the counties are dry. The only people that drink alcohol are the stay-at-home drunks that slam a 24-case of Bud Light per hour.

I have a friend in Arkansas who has a bar nearby that will bring booze out to the car, apparently, despite many of the surrounding counties being "dry". When she explained "dry" I was aghast... it's just inhumane :)

Wow, you guys are serious?

Dry county means you can't sell alcohol.

That's it. Just how would a county enforce a ban on alcohol consumption? Are the handful of police officers supposed to drive 50 miles to every person's home to check for it? Come on, guys.

A dry county is one where businesses can't sell alcohol. That's it. So, yes, it's common to find liquor stores on the border between wet and dry counties. Prohibition is the dumbest thing ever.

Wow, you guys are serious?

We are severely undereducated in your prohibitive ways.

A dry county is one where businesses can't sell alcohol. That's it. So, yes, it's common to find liquor stores on the border between wet and dry counties. Prohibition is the dumbest thing ever.

Either that, or bathtub gin. And blindness.

Back