America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
So, my daughter had her Girl Scout meeting tonight. They had a few members from the different military branches there. The subject was on obeying authority figures. One of them was a Guardsman that is the father of one of my daughter 's best friends, so she came home excited to tell me about.

She was just telling me about her friend's dad, so my wife, who is the troop leader, kind of coaxes her into telling me what the theme was. My daughter mentioned that they were talking about obeying authority figures and then my wife asks, "Why is it important to listen to people like Mr. XXXXX? What do they do?"

Without hesitation my daughter says, "Because they can shoot guns." My wife tried steering her back to her point, respect because they served to protect us, and my daughter just says, "What? They do shoot guns and you should listen to them because of it."

That's when my wife looked at me and said, "She's definitely your daughter."

Proud libertarian daddy moment right there.

In the French Revolution, weren't the elites and bankers guillotined in the thousands by the middle classes?

Cousin Karl thinks the polarization between US elite liberals and working class conservatives will come to gun violence.

In the French Revolution, weren't the elites and bankers guillotined in the thousands by the middle classes?

They were, although so was anybody who stood in the way of any of the Revolutionary factions, particularly "by their conduct, relations, words or writings show themselves to be supporters of tyranny and federalism and enemies of freedom". Very prescient.

Sort of. The worst of the Reign of Terror came once there had been a regime change, so a lot of it was a means of staying in power.

Cousin Karl thinks the polarization between US elite liberals and working class conservatives will come to gun violence.
I keep hearing about this...... "Cousin Karl".

001f7968_medium.jpeg

Does anyone think there may be a great revolution brewing?

US elite liberals

By golly, nobody ever says "low-level liberals" or "mid-pack progressives", but that's 8th-grade media for you. No conservative can ever be portrayed as having a 90% sound policies, it's the 10% which is is awful, no-good, mean, and nasty...so it works both ways.

Another words, save your doom and gloom for pulpy fanfic.

By golly, nobody ever says "low-level liberals" or "mid-pack progressives", but that's 8th-grade media for you.
I always find accusations of "liberal media bias" to be hilarious, since some of the biggest media outlets are known for their conservative agenda.

I keep hearing about this...... "Cousin Karl".
Karl is 60, seven years younger than I. He's an alpha male with a wife and two kids in college, has 9 cars including an XK-E and a Cobra replica, and has made his money in construction and real estate. We are partners in our family fishing cabin. He carries a .45 auto and is very conservative. I, on the other hand, live in the most liberal city in world, like it for the most part, listen to BBC and NPR, and am more liberal than cousin Karl.

He, not I, thinks we are headed to rebellion and conflict. Karl thinks the liberals will lose because they don't have the guns the conservatives do.

I always find accusations of "liberal media bias" to be hilarious, since some of the biggest media outlets are known for their conservative agenda.
Which in no way precludes liberal media bias. I seriously doubt there is a media outlet anywhere that does not dance to the strings of one puppet master or another.

The deadly explosion at a West, TX plant that killed 15 people (12 of whom were first responders) was declared a criminal act today. The Houston branch of the ATF in a statement, found that the fire that sparked the explosion was arson, and has offered an award of $50,000 through Crimestoppers for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons involved.

ATF agent Robert Elder, who presented the agency's findings to the media, hasn't ruled out murder charges for those involved.

Litigation that involved the explosion is still on going with one case having a trial date of May 16th.

ATF agent Robert Elder, who presented the agency's findings to the media, hasn't ruled out murder charges for those involved.

Second-degree murder, I should think. Whatever happened doesn't excuse the company from their heinous lack of responsibilty - anywhere storing that amount of ammonium nitrate should have fire sensors on the fire sensors.

The system for scanning bags at Sky Harbor Airport is down, now TSA and law enforcement are having to hand check thousands of bags with bomb sniffing dogs.

Surely the ones with bomb-sniffing dogs in will be the safest? Why even check them? :D

The same reasoning which leads someone to believe in a god that couldn't possibly create a homo-/bisexual person.

I'm still struggling with why America seems so particularly precious about who they sit next to when they're having a crap. Do y'all have long lines of cubicle-less communal pans or something? :D
The media has convinced us that men everywhere prey on little girls and are despicable. After years of pushing the scary world that's worse than ever before lie it is hard for people to not think that a gender neutral bathroom will make things easier for sexual predators.

My very serious solution to make everyone happy until we get used to the idea is a gender neutral restroom with multiple stalls and then a couple of single seaters for those who are nervous about the idea.

We already have two restrooms, so make one gender neutral and split the other into two small ones. Everyone is happy without anyone's concerns being ignored.

I'm willing to bet that more boys are molested in bathrooms than girls. And why would a transsexual be a rapist when they've gone and cut their dingus off? I don't see how using the bathroom is a big deal as long as the privacy accommodations are in working order.

I'm willing to bet that more boys are molested in bathrooms than girls.
No, media paints men of all kinds as predators and women should fear them. Only priests abuse young boys. Hot teachers make dreams come true.

And why would a transsexual be a rapist when they've gone and cut their dingus off?
I've not heard anyone fear that it's the transgender people they are worried about. It's pedophiles and rapists pretending to be transgender to get easy access to victims.

The most common comment I get is, "Would you want a man sharing a restroom with your daughter?"

I always thought bathrooms were separated by sex for practical reasons. But then that's a crazy thought I know.

I wonder whether nightclub toilets will enforce 'gender neutral' facilities? Alcohol, drugs and horny people could make for some interesting scenes.

I'm still struggling with why America seems so particularly precious about who they sit next to when they're having a crap. Do y'all have long lines of cubicle-less communal pans or something? :D

The average American could not care less about this bathroom issue, it's something for the media at best along with a few rabble rousers. What you linked is discussing what a state enforced school system's message is to children.

The most common comment I get is, "Would you want a man sharing a restroom with your daughter?"
Exactly. America was founded by sexually hung up prudes, and they persist to this day. The liberal and liberated amongst us wouldn't mind at all having strange men accessing their daughters, no? Heck, families don't matter anymore, we're all one great rainbow, right?

But if you're going to talk about your daughter's rape, please issue the appropriate trigger warning.

The liberal and liberated amongst us wouldn't mind at all having strange men accessing their daughters, no?

That's the bit I don't get, why do you think there's a likelihood of that happening? Motivated attackers are quite capable of walking into a lavatory now, surely? If those crimes are such a worry to the US then presumably you're already accompanying your sons into public lavatories... why wouldn't you be accompanying your daughters?

Personally I wouldn't let any of my kids go into a public lavatory without me there regardless, but that's far more to do with pin-heads than rapists.

Ah, okay. So why would it be a problem if that was
What happened to the rest of what I said in that post? " it's something for the media at best along with a few rabble rousers" Picking things out of context is never cool.

It seems that you're implying it is a problem. You do remind me of someone.

The problem is an over reaction law in one state, an over reaction by a very select few, an out of line reaction by our President, and of course we are all now up in arms over a whole lot of nothing. If I remind you of someone I hope it is an ex wife or should I say significant other. :P

Back