America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
FOX didn't report that he was. Just a person of interest.
CNN and MSNBC were running that guys picture from a DPD tweet. NBC and CBS in Dallas both reported that guy was not the shooter and said he turned his gun over to police at the protest.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that police should not use deadly force unless deadly force is used against them or someone else. Police are supposed to be heroes rather than people who kill citizens at the first inkling that they might be in trouble. What kind of hero are you if you're so concerned for your own well being that you shoot someone because they picked up a toy at walmart...

They've demonstrated such a profound inability to pay attention to weather or not there is actually a weapon (like blowing a way a drunk guy holding a hose, or someone who is pulling up his shorts, or a kid who needed medication and whose parents called the cops for help subduing him, or someone holding a nintendo wii remote), or whether or not there is actual intent to use it, that I don't think they should be making that call. First protect the public, then the police can protect themselves. That's the job.

Edit:

Also, it's profoundly insulting to these people who were basically executed for no reason whatsoever that we get all enraged when someone who is black gets shot by someone who is not black. The people above weren't even holding weapons, they weren't a threat, in one case they begged for their lives, in other cases murdered in front of their parents, in their own homes.

Stop it with the concern over racism, there are much worse stories to get upset about.

Agreed 99.9%, though I hope not all of this post was directed at me specifically since I have zero concern over the issue of racism (though I'm open to the possibility that racial factors might have some degree of influence in how a cop perceives a threat)...

I'm purely concerned about the police brutality, regardless of the victim's race. I get outraged at every single case I learn of. If the media fails to inform me of a case of police brutality against a white individual, that's on them. I can't get outraged about something I haven't even caught wind of, after all.

And while you're right that there are worse stories to get upset about, I'd argue this is still at least reasonably high up there... The fact that there are worse things going on the world doesn't absolve us of also dealing with this issue.

Last edited:
I don't have any national news on the tv. When they are saying snipers, are they talking 500-1500 yard/long range shots? Or was this a close up deal, hidden in the crowd?
They were shooting from an elevated position, according to witnesses.

BREAKING NEWS: The guy in the photograph tweeted by DPD has turned himself in to police. Also, one of the two snipers is arrested, and a suspicious package was found near his location. The bomb squad is handling the package.

CNN is talking to a reporter who filmed a suspect in a shoot out with an officer. He says the officer was down, and the shooter shot him multiple times afterwards. Wouldn't say if the officer died, but it looks like the footage is edited for the air.

CNN is talking to a reporter who filmed a suspect in a shoot out with an officer. He says the officer was down, and the shooter shot him multiple times afterwards. Wouldn't say if the officer died, but it looks like the footage is edited for the air.
Other footage shows the suspect arrive in a SUV, was engaged by an officer. Officer got close, shot him in the back, suspect was unfazed and turned around shooting him. The man then executes the officer and walks down the street. :(

I apologize for double posting, but the 2nd press conference is wrapping up.

Dallas police chief says a suspect they are negotiating with claims, "The end is near" and will kill more officers before its over. He told negotiators he has bombs in the garage and in downtown. Looking like a long night ahead for this city.

I'm purely concerned about the police brutality, regardless of the victim's race. I get outraged at every single case I learn of. If the media fails to inform me of a case of police brutality against a white individual, that's on them. I can't get outraged about something I haven't even caught wind of, after all.

And while you're right that there are worse stories to get upset about, I'd argue this is still at least reasonably high up there... The fact that there are worse things going on the world doesn't absolve us of also dealing with this issue.
There are also enough cases of police shooting dogs simply because the dog approached them (or worse, after the officer approached a dog confined by a lead, leash, or fence) to make me uneasy about the safety of my large, wolf-looking dog around police officers.

Social media is a feedback loop of extremism. Only in 2016 could a week like this happen. I'm simply disgusted. :indiff:
I agree with you.

A while ago tonight, an anchor on FOX news (I don't know him, I guess he just happened to be working at this hour), and a guest, (didn't catch his name either,sorry) brought up the possibility of an ISIS attack.

At the time, I thought it was just FOX, being FOX.

I still won't say I agree with them, but this is looking more and more like a pretty well coordinated attack.

A 5th officer has just passed away tonight. :(

Edit* Shooter has reportedly shot himself.
Edit 2* The suspect has now died from self-inflicted gun shot.

Last edited:
He told negotiators

Please forgive an ignorant Brit, but why are the police shooting people reaching for ID with no hesitation, but negotiating with someone deliberately murdering officers? That doesn't make sense to me.

Roo
Please forgive an ignorant Brit, but why are the police shooting people reaching for ID with no hesitation, but negotiating with someone deliberately murdering officers? That doesn't make sense to me.
The same sense as to why a bunch of officers shot & killed for something that didn't even happen in their state?

Seriously, do you need a legitimate answer to that question? They didn't want him dead because he made bomb threats.

I keep telling y'all another civil war is coming...

When did the people need a court verdict to start violent riots?
Now I'm sure this got overlooked cause nit picking is what y'all love to do. But I am going to say the most infamous 4 words. I told you so.

They don't care about what state the police are in or what race they are... They are tired of being killed...

I think what gets lost is that there are bad people who are cops and that cops are still human and will make mistakes. I think it's important that we attempt to weed out the bad cops and support the ones who are doing their job of protecting citizens.

Seems like people in America generally use guns to to assault people rather than to defend themselves.

It only seems that way because it's what the media reports. I don't necessarily think that's the case but for someone on the outside looking in, I can see where they would assume that. I think in reality most American's probably use their guns to shoot at targets or hunt with.

Is there some sort of law that protects officers from prosecution if found to be guilty of excessive force?

Is there some sort of law that protects officers from prosecution if found to be guilty of excessive force?
Police officers are a protected class; protected by Republicans who are generally for authority, public safety and order; and by Democrats who are generally pro-union - police departments are strongly unionized. So since the entire political establishment is pro-police, this is the "sort of law" as you say that protects officers from prosecution.

They have qualified immunity, but I do believe they could be tried and convicted if found to use excessive force. The Fourteenth Amendment can be used to address this too. However, it seems to be pretty rare and the last one I actually remember was the office who killed a women in Virginia while on duty. Link

Police officers are a protected class; protected by Republicans who are generally for authority, public safety and order; and by Democrats who are generally pro-union - police departments are strongly unionized. So since the entire political establishment is pro-police, this is the "sort of law" as you say that protects officers from prosecution.
Understood that our government is pro-police, but the fact is that a police officer with a power trip is a big problem. Until the country is able to properly educate themselves on appropriate behavior with everyone these cases will just continue.

So yesterday while we were arguing over words, someone was hung here in Atlanta. APD says it is a suicide, but has referred it to the FBI. I smell fish.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/police-body-found-in-piedmont-park-a-suicide-victi/nrtJq/

Seems like it's standard procedure, the Atlanta Police Department ruled it a suicide at the scene but have decided to investigate further. Most deaths are ruled a certain way at the scene prior to an investigation. There is probably also more to the story than the media is reporting or being told, details of ongoing investigations aren't always released.

I feel like you're trying to make an issue out of something that's not there (police conspiracy) instead of looking at the actual issue which is a person is dead and there may or may not be foul play involved.

Seems like it's standard procedure, the Atlanta Police Department ruled it a suicide at the scene but have decided to investigate further. Most deaths are ruled a certain way at the scene prior to an investigation. There is probably also more to the story than the media is reporting or being told, details of ongoing investigations aren't always released.

I feel like you're trying to make an issue out of something that's not there (police conspiracy) instead of looking at the actual issue which is a person is dead and there may or may not be foul play involved.
When I said fishy I was referring to it being a lynching by a certain group.(they just had a rally at Stone Mountain that wasn't peaceful recently)of course the media doesn't talk about that either...)

I highly doubt a black man would hang himself in the middle of a huge park to make a statement about what is going on lately. But as you said we're never told all the details. Who knows though he might have been going through things in his life but I doubt, it so I guess I'll be the crazy conspiracy theroiest on this one.

Now I'm going to set up a emergency kit in case crap hits the fan and I got to get out of here for MY safety.

Edit: Oh and another thing the media probably didn't mention they were having a black lives matter march from Five Points to said park around the same time he was found yesterday. So y'all keep thinking everything is peachy.

Last edited:
When I said fishy I was referring to it being a lynching by a certain group.(they just had a rally at Stone Mountain that wasn't peaceful recently)of course the media doesn't talk about that either...)

I highly doubt a black man would hang himself in the middle of a huge park to make a statement about what is going on lately. But as you said we're never told all the details. Who knows though he might have been going through things in his life but I doubt, it so I guess I'll be the crazy conspiracy theroiest on this one.

Now I'm going to set up a emergency kit in case crap hits the fan and I got to get out of here for MY safety.

People commit suicide all the time in various ways, the park could have held some sort of meaning to him or maybe it was just the tree he picked. If it is an actual hate crime then the investigation will probably figure it out, if it's a suicide then they will probably figure that out too. I think one of the biggest problems in the world today is that most of us just jump to conclusions on things without investigating ourselves to figure out what's really going on.

What I have seen over the years ref American police and remember I am a brit who has only seen there actions on tv youtube etc, I am dismayed at how quick they reach for a gun.
I have watched the real video police tv shows and noticed quite easily that US police act hugely different to pulling over vehicles containing white folk and coloured folk they always put hand on gun or pull there gun and shout at black people to get out the car hands in the air like the people in the car are some well known violent gun totting loonies yet with white people they walk casually up to the vehicle ask nicely for them to keep their hands on the wheel and act with a different conduct.
And people wonder why there is a lot of racial tension in the US towards the police.
Do I think a lot of the US police are racists? yes I do on the evidence I have seen.
I read earlier in the thread in the US a police officer can get fired then go to a different state/town and get rehired as a police officer!!!!!! Really is this true?
In the UK if a police officer got fired for gross misconduct he would be lucky to land a job as a janitor anywhere in the country well maybe apart from in Somerset but that's a place where I think Steven King had a lot of ideas from.

Back