America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Link? You know what never mind, I should have known I would look stupid cause hey I am... Regardless some of my points are valid...

Last edited by a moderator:
Link? You know what never mind, I should have known I would look stupid cause hey I am... Regardless some of my points are valid...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-falcon-heights-shooting.html
Jon Mangseth, interim police chief of St. Anthony, said he could not provide any details about the shooting, but said the officer had been put on administrative leave. He declined to identify the officers involved, but said that the one who fired — whom Ms. Reynolds described as Asian-American — had been with the department for more than five years.

Your points revolved around white cops, even hinting on the difference between white & black cops in your second post. A white man, however, was not involved, so your argument is irrelevant to this incident.

A "trigger happy scared white man" didn't shoot Mr. Castile. A 5-year veteran did. The sad thing is in the uncut video, you can begin to hear the fear & mistake in the officer's voice; he knew he had just done.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the military, deadly force is authorized only when you KNOW your life is in danger. Not when you think it might possibly could be in danger. Even seeing a weapon in someone's hands isn't enough unless they show clear intent to use it. The police might not be held to the same standards, but they really ought to be.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that police should not use deadly force unless deadly force is used against them or someone else. Police are supposed to be heroes rather than people who kill citizens at the first inkling that they might be in trouble. What kind of hero are you if you're so concerned for your own well being that you shoot someone because they picked up a toy at walmart...

They've demonstrated such a profound inability to pay attention to weather or not there is actually a weapon (like blowing a way a drunk guy holding a hose, or someone who is pulling up his shorts, or a kid who needed medication and whose parents called the cops for help subduing him, or someone holding a nintendo wii remote), or whether or not there is actual intent to use it, that I don't think they should be making that call. First protect the public, then the police can protect themselves. That's the job.

Edit:

Also, it's profoundly insulting to these people who were basically executed for no reason whatsoever that we get all enraged when someone who is black gets shot by someone who is not black. The people above weren't even holding weapons, they weren't a threat, in one case they begged for their lives, in other cases murdered in front of their parents, in their own homes.

Stop it with the concern over racism, there are much worse stories to get upset about.

Stop it with the concern over racism, there are much worse stories to get upset about.
Sorry, but knowing how the US has been brought up, concern over racism will never go away, especially being black.

For you to tell us to stop worrying about racism is telling people to turn a blind eye when someone of color is shot. Really, from what I've been reading from your posts, you reek of the "white people too!" narrative...

Well , understand that everyone knows that white people get killed by police all of the time in the US, and that is because white people are the majority. Blacks are a minority, but there is a higher chance of blacks being imprisoned and killed by authority.

You seem to understand that police should not consider their lives over others, but where I think you are lacking is the ability to consider race in police/pedestrian interaction, and how it ties into how someone is likely to be treated.

I'm sure you're knowledgeable when it comes to many things, but you should take an African American history course to truly understand why the color of our or my skin is brought up so frequently. ;)

For you to tell us to stop worrying about racism is telling people to turn a blind eye when someone of color is shot. Really, from what I've been reading from your posts, you reek of the "white people too!" narrative...

Granted I have no clue what his thoughts are. But it gets rather old seeing massive protests even if the shooting was justified (for the record the one in MN the other day was not).

Blacks are a minority, but there is a higher chance of blacks being imprisoned and killed by authority.

Every stat I've been able to find says the contrary.

You seem to understand that police should not consider their lives over others,

But they should in the same way you or I would put our own lives over someone who is trying to do us or our loved ones harm. I don't see why they shouldn't be able to defend themselves purely because they are a cop.

I will add one thing as an aside and that is that police seem to have very little training when it comes to high pressure situations, which is something that needs to change.

All I see is sarcasm in that last line.
I didn't. Let's see if Lain cares to enlighten us. And apologies for the last post, my views are a little biased. And I bow down to my false claims. But he kinda looked white to me. I shall taste my foot. Good night.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that police should not use deadly force unless deadly force is used against them or someone else. Police are supposed to be heroes rather than people who kill citizens at the first inkling that they might be in trouble. What kind of hero are you if you're so concerned for your own well being that you shoot someone because they picked up a toy at walmart...

They've demonstrated such a profound inability to pay attention to weather or not there is actually a weapon (like blowing a way a drunk guy holding a hose, or someone who is pulling up his shorts, or a kid who needed medication and whose parents called the cops for help subduing him, or someone holding a nintendo wii remote), or whether or not there is actual intent to use it, that I don't think they should be making that call. First protect the public, then the police can protect themselves. That's the job.

Edit:

Also, it's profoundly insulting to these people who were basically executed for no reason whatsoever that we get all enraged when someone who is black gets shot by someone who is not black. The people above weren't even holding weapons, they weren't a threat, in one case they begged for their lives, in other cases murdered in front of their parents, in their own homes.

While those stories you linked are no doubt tragic for everyone involved, they are the extreme minority. How often do you think it is reported when thousands of times a day Officers deal with similar situations but with different outcomes? Not very often, so to say that "they've demonstrated such a profound inability to pay attention to weather or not there is actually a weapon" is simply dishonest. Hundreds of thousands of Officers make hundreds of thousands of stops a day, sometimes one of them makes a bad call and it unfortunately destroys the lives of just about everyone involved.

As far as waiting for deadly force to be used against me before responding with my own deadly force, I didn't throw away my rights when I was sworn in, I have just as much right to protect myself from a threat and get home to my wife and son at the end of my shift as you do.

I was going to post something, not a wall, but something with enough heft that would even floor myself. Then I waited about two hours after I typed it up, came home, read over it again, and decided to scrap it all.

This issue won't go away until side number 1 can interact with side number 2, whatever names you list them as, and not have to "put the issues to the side," as doing so only keeps an issue prevalent. Although, this won't ever happen, making steps in that direction is better than point fingers, hastily, and wanting to know who did it, when in reality, it doesn't matter if you "need" to know the name..

Last I report saw 20 minutes ago said there's an armed suspect on the 7th floor of the Bank of America building, pacing back and forth with body armor.

Edit* 3-6 officers shot, supposedly multiple suspects that planned to use the BLM protest as cover to open fire.

They are now saying four police officers shot, one had died.

edit: Now they are saying two snipers shot ten police, and three are dead

Last edited:
FOX is reporting 11 officers shot, 3 dead, 2 in surgery, 3 critically injured 4 dead, 2 in surgery, 3 critically injured. Of the dead, 3 were DPD and the other is DARTPD. DARTPD is also reporting that three more officers were shot, but are expected to survive. They, FOX, is also reporting that the 10 officers were shot by two snipers.

Last edited:
FOX is reporting 10 officers shot, 3 dead, 2 in surgery, 3 critically injured 4 dead, 2 in surgery, 3 critically injured. Of the dead, 3 were DPD and the other is DARTPD. DARTPD is also reporting that three more officers were shot, but are expected to survive. They, FOX, is also reporting that the 10 officers were shot by two snipers.
As far I've seen, it's 2 that were DPD & 1 DARTPD.

However, FOX is saying an 11th officer has just been injured in a shoot out with a suspect.

As far I've seen, it's 2 that were DPD & 1 DARTPD.

However, FOX is saying an 11th officer has just been injured in a shoot out with a suspect.
I have been continually watching the news cycle as I keep you guys up to date. I'm missing the DPD's presser as I type this.

EDIT: There is a bomb threat at this protest.

EDIT 2: We can add a civilian to the injured, which makes 12 people shot, 3 dead, 2 in surgery, 3 critical. Of the dead, 2 are DPD, and one DARTPD.

Last edited:
I have been continually watching the news cycle as I keep you guys up to date. I'm missing the DPD's presser as I type this.

EDIT: There is a bomb threat at this protest.

EDIT 2: We can add a civilian to the injured, which makes 12 people shot, 4 dead, 2 in surgery, 3 critical. Of the dead, 3 are DPD, and one DARTPD.
You're being fed some over exaggerated news. Dallas police chief was just on the air here; no report of a bomb threat, only 3 dead.

You're being fed some over exaggerated news. Dallas police chief was just on the air here; no report of a bomb threat, only 3 dead.
It could be that I am watching the national news. They tend to overblow the news quite often in local stories. However, I did get the officers deaths right, and you are being fed dated information.

It could be that I am watching the national news. They tend to overblow the news quite often in local stories. However, I did get the officers deaths right, and you are being fed dated information.
I was going by what the police chief said. But yes, they just confirmed a 4th here. Nothing on a bomb threat, but seeing it starting to pop up, so I may need to switch to CNN.

Live cameras showing active shooting right now at the Bank of America building, where a shooter was originally believed to be.

I don't have any national news on the tv. When they are saying snipers, are they talking 500-1500 yard/long range shots? Or was this a close up deal, hidden in the crowd?

Death toll: 12 people shot (11 officers from two agencies and a civilian) - 4 officers dead, 3 from Dallas PD, and one from DART PD, 2 in Surgery, and 3 in critical condition.

The two snipers are still on the lam in a five block radius in Downtown Dallas this morning, Eastern Time.

The guy pictured with the camo shirt is according to a report NOT the shooter.
FOX didn't report that he was. Just a person of interest.

I don't have any national news on the tv. When they are saying snipers, are they talking 500-1500 yard/long range shots? Or was this a close up deal, hidden in the crowd?
They aren't reporting distances, but believed to be only a few stories above where the protest ended.

Back