America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Not knowing the cause of the crash myself, wouldn't ejecting be the only option if the hydraulic system failed? I'm not aware of the F-16 having manual override on the canopy.

If you have zero altitude and zero speed why would you eject?:lol:
The zero zero seat arose from the desire to greatly reduce ejection restrictions. There are times when a plane can't climb or accelerate and is already near the ground. Earlier seats with more restrictive limits wouldn't help the pilot in those cases.

Not knowing the cause of the crash myself, wouldn't ejecting be the only option if the hydraulic system failed? I'm not aware of the F-16 having manual override on the canopy.
The canopy is blown away before ejecting. I'm pretty sure the pilot can blow the canopy manually as well.

Edit

Yep

aOvoyA6_460s_v1.jpg

Is it possible that this isn't over yet, and that another judge, who actually is sane in the brain will give him a sentence he deserves?

Is it possible that this isn't over yet, and that another judge, who actually is sane in the brain will give him a sentence he deserves?
I'm not sure if they can appeal the punishment since it was below the legally mandated minimum.

If not, double jeopardy laws would prevent a second prosecution. The prosecuting attorney would have to appeal for a complete retrial, removing the original guilty sentence and starting over.

All that said, much like George Zimmerman and Casey Anthony, this is still a life sentence in the public eye. He will have trouble just walking down the street. Between that and who knows what could happen in prison, he isn't walking away easy, though it isn't as harsh as we would like.

All that said, much like George Zimmerman and Casey Anthony, this is still a life sentence in the public eye. He will have trouble just walking down the street. Between that and who knows what could happen in prison, he isn't walking away easy, though it isn't as harsh as we would like.

I am assuming that there is more to it than the broad strokes that have been painted in the general media. As I understand it, Turner didn't actually "rape" her, possibly because he was too drunk. What happened before they got out to the dumpster? If she was too drunk to remember anything, how does she know she didn't "consent"? What does consent mean when both the rapist & victim are extremely intoxicated?

If she was too drunk to remember anything, how does she know she didn't "consent"?

We're told that she was passed out when they were found. From her alcohol levels the medical evidence suggested she'd been out cold for some time.

As I understand it, Turner didn't actually "rape" her, possibly because he was too drunk.

So it seems. This attack seems to fall well within the definition of sexual assault but not rape. I'm sure rape wasn't on the charge sheet.

If she was too drunk to remember anything, how does she know she didn't "consent"? What does consent mean when both the rapist & victim are extremely intoxicated?

Agreed. However, if somebody is too drunk to sensibly consent then they're too drunk to consent. She maintains that she would not and did not consent to being undressed behind a dumpster and "manipulated" so forcefully that she sustained internal cuts and abrasions along with a collection of pine needles and ground dirt.

Her own comments on that are interesting;

Victim
He said he had asked if I wanted to dance. Apparently I said yes. He’d asked if I wanted to go to his dorm, I said yes. Then he asked if he could finger me and I said yes. Most guys don’t ask, can I finger you? Usually there’s a natural progression of things, unfolding consensually, not a Q and A. But apparently I granted full permission. He’s in the clear. Even in his story, I only said a total of three words, yes yes yes, before he had me half naked on the ground. Future reference, if you are confused about whether a girl can consent, see if she can speak an entire sentence.

I have to agree with that; if you're getting consent from somebody who's drunk then you need to strongly consider that you may be taking advantage.

I have to agree with that; if you're getting consent from somebody who's drunk then you need to strongly consider that you may be taking advantage.

Clearly, that is a reasonable position, but there is also the question of to what degree were the actions taken by the offender mitigated by the fact that he was also drunk & suffering from impaired judgement?

My impression is that the defense team attempted to deny a sexual assault had taken place, based on the supposed presence of consent. Not owning up to his actions makes Turner appear worse (as well as the letter written by his father), which I would say amplifies the outcry over the sentence, but it's normal for a defense team to make a case like that to protect their client.

Sexual assault is obviously a very thorny legal issue.

If being drunk means you're not capable of giving proper consent, then how is someone who is drunk able to determine if the consent is proper to begin with?

If being drunk means you're not capable of giving proper consent, then how is someone who is drunk able to determine if the consent is proper to begin with?

That's not a defence though. If you were drunk and thought that driving your car was a perfectly okay idea (and many do) you would have no defence of diminished responsibility. The same is true of piddling in a shop doorway, knocking a policeman's hat off in witty banter or undressing a comatose girl behind a dumpster.

The answer to your question is that they're not able to determine if the consent is proper, my question in return is do you think that should make it "okay"?

aOvoyA6_460s_v1.jpg

They did the opposite.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...due-released-3-months-early-article-1.2667473
SAN FRANCISCO — A former Stanford University swimmer whose six-month sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman ignited widespread outrage will leave jail three months early.

Online inmate records show 20-year-old Brock Turner is expected to be released from the Santa Clara County jail on Sept. 2. He was booked June 2.

County jail inmates serve 50% of their sentences if they keep a clean disciplinary record.

Calls to the county Department of Correction weren’t immediately returned Thursday.

Turner of Dayton, Ohio, was convicted of attacking the woman he met at a fraternity party in January 2015 and was sentenced last week to six months in jail and three years’ probation.

The sentence triggered criticism that a star athlete from a privileged background had gotten special treatment. Prosecutors had asked for six years in prison.
How in the hell is 1 week enough to determine a clean record in jail? This dude might as well stay on the inside now; it's going to be a lot safer there with the outrage the public is already in.

This kid may have lucked out on a joke of a sentence, but at least someone cracked the whip on this dumb ass. USA Swimming banned him for life. He wasn't a member at the time, but he sure as hell won't be able to use his swimming talents any time in the future for sure now. Had he been a member, he still would have been banned because sexual assault can carry a lifetime ban from the sport.

But he is such a great athlete. Surely they can find it in their hearts to give him a mild sentence. It was only 20 minutes of action.

How in the hell is 1 week enough to determine a clean record in jail? This dude might as well stay on the inside now; it's going to be a lot safer there with the outrage the public is already in.

I expect him to be dragged into an alley and be on the receiving end of a penis when he gets out.

This dude might as well stay on the inside now; it's going to be a lot safer there with the outrage the public is already in.
Conventional justice might have failed his victim, but poetic justice will catch up with him. What he did to her will stay with her for the rest of her life - and now he gets a life sentence because everyone knows his name and what he did. It's a palty consolation in the absence of a meaningful prison sentence, but at least the stigma of being a convicted sex offender will follow him wherever he goes.

So, hang on... you think that the toys a child chooses are natural according to gender identity? Apologies if not, I'm simply not following.
No, I'm not saying it's natural, it has more to do with the surroundings and upbringing. That said, just like us, every time the new hot toy comes out, all the kids(boys) have, my son wants it also. So it is more monkey see, monkey do, than anything.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/13/h...-america-in-charts-and-graphs-trnd/index.html

Posting this here so it doesn't take over discussion in the Orlando thread.
It's essentially this republished article, with all statistics taken from this guy.

That story was in August right after two other "mass shootings," or knee-jerk reactions by the media to flood statistics into their readers.

The second image they have is, in a way, to be expected. When you have high population density states (with the exception of Texas and Alabama) with systemic violence issues, you can expect those hot-spots to be where they are. The cultural indifferent societies only make it worse. It'd be nice to see within those states where the issues are located at, such as in Illinois is it primarily Chicago or elsewhere. In Florida, is it primarily on the Atlantic or elsewhere?

Either way, this article was just found elsewhere from CNN and republished after yet another targeted attack involving guns.

Back