America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Pick your favorite or best or whatever president you can think of and tell me the number of people that attended his swearing in 👍

Johnson is the most impressive turn out by a huge ass mile.

I guess that makes it 31.1 million viewers - still well short of Obama's 37.8 million.

And you still haven't explained why Preibus accused the media of manipulating the images.
Is that number counting online also? TV only? Online only?

I never responded to that question and I didn't intend too. Since you want me to answer, I think the timing of the shots might be ignored. I don't recall saying that though, here...

Last edited:
Obama had a longtime feud with Fox News that included an attempted ban from the press pool. So yeah, this kind of thing isn't really new.

Kennedy took strong issue with the New York Times if I recall correctly - he didn't like their reporting of the Vietnam War, particularly that of their correspondents in Vietnam itself.

I love how for the past two days the biggest discussion on the intertube has been about who had a bigger attendance. Does it matter if Obama had more?

My own opinion is that it doesn't matter at all - and as noted in this thread there are all kinds of reasons outside popularity why attendance may be higher at one event than at another.

What is important is that the new administration already seems to be denying obvious truths about the attendance at this one, that's the only reason (imo) that it's an issue at all.

Well, you should be worried.

The media pointed out that there was a lower turn-out for Trump's inauguration than there was for Obama's. In support of this, they showed two photos comparing crowd sizes taken from the top of the Washington Monument. The photo of Obama's inauguration shows crowds stretching from the Capitol to the Washington Monument, whereas the photo of Trump's inauguration showed visibly smaller crowds - there are large patches of ground that simply haven't been filled.

Trump has tried to characterise this as a biased an inaccurate story put forward by an irresponsible media that Preibus has described as trying to "de-legitimise the President".

Here is that image:

8201478-3x2-460x307.jpg

And associated story.
C_gLQEHYinY.jpg

I love how for the past two days the biggest discussion on the intertube has been about who had a bigger attendance. Does it matter if Obama had more? Did he get inaugurated harder than Trump? Was he more Presidenty than Trump is?
You misunderstand what is being discussed. Who had more makes feck all difference to most. It's the fact that it seems to trouble Trump and his team so much that they accuse the press of 'fake news' and seemingly lie in their first press briefing when it would appear the press are only reporting the facts.

What is important is that the new administration already seems to be denying obvious truths about the attendance at this one, that's the only reason (imo) that it's an issue at all.

I have not seen that and that would be a dumb move as it should not matter at all. It was a great ceremony as far as I'm concerned and we do not celebrate the man nearly as much as we celebrate our country and the position. It went well, not memorable but well.

This, so much this. Trump is going to do some really stupid things in the days to come that are going to be worthy of criticism. If he starts banning journalist that that are producing factual, ethical stories, that criticize what he's doing, then I'm going to start to worry.
What's the worst he can do? Ban them from White House press briefings? It'll only make him look petty and have zero effect on news being reported as video is available live and in a billion places on the internetz.

Then how do you explain the downturn in television viewers? From the article I posted:

And why did Preibus accuse the media of manipulating the photos? Why not just acknowledge that the inclement weather kept people away?
The internetz for one. Traditional tv viewership is down dramatically since 2008, as much as 40% in some demographics and that's just since 2011. With that kind of decline in overall viewership you might be able to make a case that Trump's traditional tv viewing audience, as a share of tv watchers, was actually higher than Obama's. Throw in the interwebs and it's quite easy to conclude that Trump's is the most watched inauguration in history. NBC's viewcount alone, in one video, is bordering on 10 million.

I didn't see anything from Rance Preibus about the media manipulating the photos. All I say was him saying it wasn't about the photos and it was about the media already trying to delegitimize Trump.

In other news, the Women's March has been confirmed as fake news. Real video from the march is in the spoiler:sly::
It's in a spoiler for a reason. Don't whine if you don't like it.

I never responded to that question and I didn't intend too
You don't think it's relevant? We're having a discussion about freedom of the press and here we've got one of the most senior figures of Trump's cabinet accusing the media of deliberately manipulating images to present a view of the event in line with a predetermined agenda. I think it's highly relevant given that Trump seems to be unable to respond to criticism without going on the attack.

I love how for the past two days the biggest discussion on the intertube has been about who had a bigger attendance.
It may seem frivolous, but that's how this sort of thing begins. Trump starts cracking down on trivial things, and while we all laugh at him, the media stop reporting on it. Then they consciously stop reporting on other things that seem trivial so that they don't incur his ire. But then they stop reporting on bigger, more serious issues that depict him negatively. Eventually, the press have unconsciously silenced themselves, and any attempt at reporting on those big issues is met with retribution.

Was he more Presidenty than Trump is?
He never got into a Twitter war at three in the morning with a former beauty pageant contestant, so ... yes.

Holy crap, is this what things are going to be like for the next four years? Instead of using Twitter to pick fights with people, Trump is just going to hold press conferences each time?

Hurray propaganda!
I'm all in morbid curiosity, a little bit scared but also ready to see just how messed up this can get.

Lies are no longer lies, they're now "alternative facts"

I'm all in morbid curiosity, a little bit scared but also ready to see just how messed up this can get.

Will you be disappointed when it turns out to be nothing at all? Because that is exactly what is going to happen. The press is so butt hurt over not having Hillary, I wish Trump would not stoop to their level tbh.

I love how for the past two days the biggest discussion on the intertube has been about who had a bigger attendance. Does it matter if Obama had more? Did he get inaugurated harder than Trump? Was he more Presidenty than Trump is?

The figures don't really matter, both Hillary and Trump were decisive candidates and it was always likely that the turnout would be lower for whoever won...

What does matter, or rather what it has revealed, is the overly defensive reaction of the White House and it's belief that every story and probably every story going forward is aimed a delegitimising the administration.

I agree in some cases that this does have some basis but there are equally as many instances where it does not and putting forward 'alternative facts' isn't doing themselves any favours.

Last edited:
I'm not posting to care about the cry cry back and forth with fox and cnn, just look what Obama is saying in an unbiased way if you can and tell me the difference?​

Obama whinged and cried about Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and others, about as often as he played golf...which is a lot:lol:

Good. WASHINGTON -- Most of the approximately 230 protesters arrested on Inauguration Day will be charged with felony rioting, federal prosecutors said. That is not how you practice your right to peaceful assembly and puts a black eye on all the others. It is not enough to say 'well I didn't do that'.

The caption of this picture I found amusing lol.

DC riot police chase protesters as they march through the streets in reaction to the inauguration of U.S. President Donald Trump in Washington, U.S., Jan. 20, 2017.

police.jpg

Good. WASHINGTON -- Most of the approximately 230 protesters arrested on Inauguration Day will be charged with felony rioting, federal prosecutors said. That is not how you practice your right to peaceful assembly and puts a black eye on all the others. It is not enough to say 'well I didn't do that'.

The caption of this picture I found amusing lol.

police.jpg
So glad about this.

Sort of unrelated but during a Milo Yiannpolous protest happening in Washington yesterday, it actually got really violent and a man got shot: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/milo-yiannopoulos-protest-shooting-233962 (I find it funny how this article says that aside from this the protest was peaceful but one of Milo's Cameraman also got assaulted)

The man shot is now recovering though thank heavens: http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/man-shot-during-uw-event-for-milo-yiannopoulos/486520649

Watching the event myself and despite my differing views I have with him on some topics, I did like Milo's take on it and how he handled it.

These protests against Trump and his supporters appear to be getting out of hand. If I lived in America, I would be more worried about these protests instead of what Trump might actually do.

So glad about this.

Sort of unrelated but during a Milo Yiannpolous protest happening in Washington yesterday, it actually got really violent and a man got shot: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/milo-yiannopoulos-protest-shooting-233962

As much as I disagree with Milo I'd hesitate to say that the shooting meant the protest "actually got really violent". People can (and often do) get shot by accident. Let's wait to see if this was a violent act before making such sweeping judgements.

These protests against Trump and his supporters appear to be getting out of hand. If I lived in America, I would be more worried about these protests instead of what Trump might actually do.

This line concerns me because just like the knee jerk reactions of someone saying or doing something that makes Trump supposedly the next Hitler. This on the opposite end is also blown out of proportion. A few idiots taking things to an extreme because they don't have the tool kit in their head to be a normal functioning human being, doesn't mean a nation should be highly worried. Any more than dealing with the every day morons that may pose the same threat without political ties.

As much as I disagree with Milo I'd hesitate to say that the shooting meant the protest "actually got really violent". People can (and often do) get shot by accident. Let's wait to see if this was a violent act before making such sweeping judgements.

You are right of course but it doesn't seem likely to me. It reminds me of an old lady who threw out her broken pressure cooker and some kid tossed his cell phone in the same dumpster only to have the battery leak, and the rest is history.

This line concerns me because just like the knee jerk reactions of someone saying or doing something that makes Trump supposedly the next Hitler. This on the opposite end is also blown out of proportion. A few idiots taking things to an extreme because they don't have the tool kit in their head to be a normal functioning human being, doesn't mean a nation should be highly worried. Any more than dealing with the every day morons that may pose the same threat without political ties.
Probably right but I have no idea why a gun would be fired in the first place in a protest.

Was Obama more Presidenty than Trump is?
I would say that was a pretty big yes... Obama was certainly more statesman-like and considerably more coherent than Trump, though that is not saying much... Trump is about as statesman like as Roy Chubby Brown.

Trump's presidency is a double whammy for Obama's supporters - Obama will be sorely missed, and is viewed by many people as something close to a paragon of virtue and whiter than white (ironically) while Trump is perceived as the polar opposite... by that reckoning, may be Trump is America's first 'black' president.

I would say that was a pretty big yes... Obama was certainly more statesman-like and considerably more coherent than Trump, though that is not saying much... Trump is about as statesman like as Roy Chubby Brown.

Trump's presidency is a double whammy for Obama's supporters - Obama will be sorely missed, and is viewed by many people as something close to a paragon of virtue and whiter than white (ironically) while Trump is perceived as the polar opposite... by that reckoning, may be Trump is America's first 'black' president.
Obama was such a great president that Donald Trump was his legacy....:boggled:

DK

Jeb Trump? :confused:

Ok I took the bait and looked, that tweet directs you to this site. Reading that 'news' article it directs you back to tweeter lol. I don't know if Jeb clapped or not and it means nothing anyway but, I did find this part interesting enough to note.
He then claimed that 1.5 million people were in attendance while official estimates have counted between 200-250,000.

Seeing as how the below is fact I proceeded to believe the whole site a joke. :lol:

also from lame site
Pool reports later indicated that attendants who were cheering and clapping when Mr Trump spoke were not CIA staffers but people who accompanied Mr Trump, Washington Post fact-checker Gary Kessler wrote on Twitter. He later clarified that it was unclear exactly who the people were, but senior CIA members standing in front did not react until the end of the speech.

Last edited:
Back