America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,758 comments
Not like this they haven't.

What are you basing this claim on? Do you have numbers for how many anonymous sources are used now versus any other point in time?

Or is it just that we have a thin-skinned president who suddenly decided to make noise about it?

What are you basing this claim on? Do you have numbers for how many anonymous sources are used now versus any other point in time?

Or is it just that we have a thin-skinned president who suddenly decided to make noise about it?

What? No. And why would I need them? So Libel, Slander and defamation of character are suddenly ok 'becuz jounalism'? What a façade, do you have a better excuse because that one sucks. So Trump should sit there and not defend himself when confronted with bold faced lies and attempts to impeach him? Who in their right mind even thinks that?

What? No. And why would I need them?

Wait, you're going on a tirade about the media being dishonest, but you don't want to be asked to substantiate your claims?

:lol:

So Libel, Slander and defamation of character are suddenly ok 'becuz jounalism'? What a façade, do you have a better excuse because that one sucks. So Trump should sit there and not defend himself when confronted with bold faced lies and attempts to impeach him? Who in their right mind even thinks that?

Where did I say anything like that?

If he has a case for defamation, he's still free to bring it. How does the use of an anonymous source shield a news organization from such lawsuits?

If that was how it worked, I would imagine that all sources would be kept anonymous, which clearly isn't the case.

Wait, you're going on a tirade about the media being dishonest, but you don't want to be asked to substantiate your claims?

:lol:

Where did I say anything like that?

If he has a case for defamation, he's still free to bring it. How does the use of an anonymous source shield a news organization from such lawsuits?

If that was how it worked, I would imagine that all sources would be kept anonymous, which clearly isn't the case.

Never in my lifetime have I witnessed anonymous sources being used by the media to undermine a presidency and I don't need to substantiate that, I have a lifetime of experience to back it up. Never in my lifetime have I seen media organizations colluding with a presidential candidate like Hillary Clinton, even feeding her debate questions prior to the debate itself. Now, if you want to pretend what we are seeing in the media today is normal and that actions such as these are normal, then you go right ahead with that fantasy.

If I can't question the source or at least judge the sources reputation

You do get to question the reporter who used the source, and they can be held responsible if it's shown that the information from their source is false. Stop making it sound like there's suddenly no recourse agains defamation just because an anonymous source is in the picture.

And you haven't really addressed the main point: no anonymous sources means less information; why would you want that?

--

Never in my lifetime have I witnessed anonymous sources being used by the media to undermine a presidency and I don't need to substantiate that, I have a lifetime of experience to back it up.

Okay, I guess I'll just take your word for it, guy who demands that the press be more transparent and accurate. :rolleyes:

Never in my lifetime have I seen media organizations colluding with a presidential candidate like Hillary Clinton, even feeding her debate questions prior to the debate itself. Now, if you want to pretend what we are seeing in the media today is normal and that actions such as these are normal, then you go right ahead with that fantasy.

What has any of that got to do with anonymous sources? You're just vomiting a bunch of unfocused hatred of the media on a conversation that's about something more specific. (The president appreciates the assist.)

You do get to question the reporter who used the source, and they can be held responsible if it's shown that the information from their source is false. Stop making it sound like there's suddenly no recourse agains defamation just because an anonymous source is in the picture.

And you haven't really addressed the main point: no anonymous sources means less information; why would you want that?

--

Okay, I guess I'll just take your word for it, guy who demands that the press be more transparent and accurate. :rolleyes:

What has any of that got to do with anonymous sources? You're just vomiting a bunch of unfocused hatred of the media on a conversation that's about something more specific. (The president appreciates the assist.)

It shows a pattern of collusion in favor of one candidate over another by organizations that are supposed to be objective news sources, that's what. And when that favored candidate didn't win it, these same 'news organizations' (if they still can be called that) went into attack mode using lies and unproven fallacies attributed to 'anonymous sources' to discredit a sitting president who was dually elected in a democratic election; which is an attempt to undermine democracy itself. Sorry if you can't seem connect the dots here, I thought it was fairly obvious.

Last edited:
It shows a pattern of collusion in favor of one candidate over another by organizations that are supposed to be objective news sources, that's what. And when that favored candidate didn't win it, these same 'news organizations' (if they still can be called that) went into attack mode to discredit a sitting president who was dually elected in a democratic election which is an attempt to undermine democracy itself.

Great. None of that has anything to do with anonymous sources.

Media bias has been covered in this thread ad nauseam. Feel free to go have a re-read if you'd like.

Sorry if your brain is too small to connect the dots.

Lovely.

You were lovely first, I just returned the favor

DDastardly00:
It shows a pattern of collusion in favor of one candidate over another by organizations that are supposed to be objective news sources, that's what. And when that favored candidate didn't win it, these same 'news organizations' (if they still can be called that) went into attack mode using lies and unproven fallacies attributed to 'anonymous sources' to discredit a sitting president who was dually elected in a democratic election; which is an attempt to undermine democracy itself

Great. None of that has anything to do with anonymous sources.

Media bias has been covered in this thread ad nauseam. Feel free to go have a re-read if you'd like.

It doesn't? Please explain how using anonymous sources to peddle outright lies about a sitting president in an attempt to get them impeached has nothing to do with this conversation, I'm all ears.

Edit:

Interesting, guy was obviously there to put the hurt on Ivanka, he'll play the crazy part in court no doubt, but some premeditation/planning obviously went into this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/man-...telling-secret-service-meet/story?id=48496371

New York man clad in a bulletproof vest and bearing two small knives entered Trump Tower where he told Secret Service officers that he was a U.S. senator there to meet Ivanka Trump, police said.

The man, whose name appears in records as Sixto Benitez Adames, was arrested after the Thursday afternoon incident, the New York Police Department said.

Benitez Adames, 52, of the Bronx, was taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation and faces charges of criminal possession of a weapon and possession of a forged instrument for his possession of a fake New York State identity card, police said.

In addition to the two knives, he was carrying a tied-off sock with a weight in it, police said. He said he was a senator who came to the tower to talk to the president's daughter about her clothing line, police said. He also said he owned Trump Tower, police said.

Last edited:
That does not prove that he is of sound mind.
You're right there, it doesn't prove anything either way. It does show that his mind was functioning well enough to plan this out. That being said, the mental evaluation he is undergoing will likely determine the direction both the prosecution and defense will go when preparing this case.

It does show that his mind was functioning well enough to plan this out.
People with mental illnesses can be extraordinarily capable of planning ahead. You don't suddenly lose all of your thinking, reasoning and planning skills because you have a mental illness.

People with mental illnesses can be extraordinarily capable of planning ahead. You don't suddenly lose all of your thinking, reasoning and planning skills because you have a mental illness.
Chess genius Bobby Fischer for example. I never played Fischer, but I did play (and defeat) a person who later became a Grand Master, US national champion, and multi-time candidate for the world championship. (He was a boy at the time I played him :D)

It shows a pattern of collusion in favor of one candidate over another by organizations that are supposed to be objective news sources, that's what. And when that favored candidate didn't win it, these same 'news organizations' (if they still can be called that) went into attack mode using lies and unproven fallacies attributed to 'anonymous sources' to discredit a sitting president who was dually elected in a democratic election; which is an attempt to undermine democracy itself. Sorry if you can't seem connect the dots here, I thought it was fairly obvious.

It doesn't? Please explain how using anonymous sources to peddle outright lies about a sitting president in an attempt to get them impeached has nothing to do with this conversation, I'm all ears.

Can you demonstrate that the use of anonymous sources is necessary for any of this behavior that you're decrying? That the use of anonymous sources caused any of it to happen?

How would eliminating the use of anonymous sources reduce or eliminate any of that behavior? How would it reduce or eliminate media bias?

You're right that I can't connect those dots. So far, you haven't managed to do it either.

If it weren't for anonymous sources, how would we have known about Watergate?

But we have documents that are real, not just words from someone that has made up countless things about someone that he does not like.

Obama made isis
Obama tapped my phone
Obama was not born in the us

You sure you want to start this again?
He's the one who says (and yes, I'm paraphrasing here) that freedom of speech is a fundamental, inalienable right. He's the one who criticised people for trying to silence him on the grounds that they disagreed with him. And he's the one in the video trying to silence people that he disagrees with.

He's the one who says (and yes, I'm paraphrasing here) that freedom of speech is a fundamental, inalienable right. He's the one who criticised people for trying to silence him on the grounds that they disagreed with him. And he's the one in the video trying to silence people that he disagrees with.

And as has been pointed out to you before, there are multiple examples of him giving the opportunity to speak to people that hold views that oppose his, and taking time to engage with them.

You're the one who has spent months avoiding providing any actual examples of this suppression of free speech. He has criticised people for trying to silence him, and rightly so in some examples. I think people should be free to give a talk without being in fear of their lives. I don't see how that's incompatible with his views on free speech. Saying what you like and attempting to stop other people saying what they like are not the same thing.

Are you saying that the video above is an example of him trying to silence free speech? Did you actually watch it? Do you want to point to the exact time stamp where he's trying to silence people, and quote the words that he actually says? Let's not beat around the bush, you point me to exactly what you see in that video as silencing people. Then maybe for the first time in however many months it's been we can actually have a concrete example to discuss.

Let's not beat around the bush, you point me to exactly what you see in that video as silencing people.
The whole thing. He's protesting against CNN, but where is he protesting against the redditor? Surely both of them have an equal right to say what they said.

After all, the original video was political opinion produced for a specific audience. It's the sort of thing that would appear as a political cartoon in the Sunday paper - a caricature of Trump in a boxing ring squaring off with a man in a suit wearing a CNN tag. In that sense, the redditor was acting as a member of the media. Why is he entitled to say what he said - when what he said amounts to the government attacking the press - when a news outlet is not?

The point is that Yiannopolis claims that free speech is of vital importance. His criticism falls within the purview if free speech, but he's criticising one and ignoring the other. How can he claim to be defending freedom of speech when he's clearly applying it differently?

You are aware of why people are mad at CNN right now, right? :odd:
I am. And I'm certainly not defending them. I'm just pointing out that you've got CNN and the redditor, both of whom have said something objectionable, but both are being treated differently. And I don't think it's as simple as saying that one is an individual and the other is an organisation - the original video was produced for a specific audience as commentary on current events. It was a political cartoon, and if you change the medium it's the sort of thing that you could find in the Sunday newspaper on the opinion page. In that sense, the redditor was acting as an agent of the media - just not the conventional media the way CNN is. So why is he free to say as he pleases, but CNN are not?

You didn't watch the video otherwise you would know he's not in the video trying to silence people he disagrees with, in this case CNN. Feel free to disagree with links to the parts of the video where he's trying to silence CNN.
Milo visits CNN to protest #CNNblackmail

What, no burning cars? No people running around in masks yelling obscenities at everyone in sight? No one getting smacked with bicycle chains? Someone forgot to invite the leftists I guess:lol:

What, no burning cars? No people running around in masks yelling obscenities at everyone in sight? No one getting smacked with bicycle chains? Someone forgot to invite the leftists I guess:lol:
The "black block" is busy blinding helicopter pilots in Hamburg. :dopey:

Back