America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,708 comments
Alright. Let’s hear it from all you Republicans who supported the theft of Merrick Garland’s seat. You all firmly believe Trump should not be able to fill this seat, right?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No.

If it wasn't for double standards, Republicans would have no standards at all.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No.

The question is: what political price might Republicans pay for demonstrating that fact so unequivocally? Supposedly 68% of women in the US oppose the overthrow of Roe vs. Wade.

No.

It appears you're correct:

Someone needs to flip that ****-heel over and send him into a spin.

An actual gif of Mitch McConnell spinning:

tumblr_mzdfzbpdpn1toamj8o1_500.gif

"Lame-duck" refers to an official (especially the president) in the final period of office, after the election of a successor. Although it sounds like an insult, in this case it actually isn't.
Ah, I accept the correction, then. You can never tell these days with the way everyone in Washington goes for the throat.

Screenshot_20200919-000503.png
The guy that actually posted it is a GA district representative(he set it so you can't share it). I do not post this saying he is mocking her. He is a life long Democrat that I worked for(ironically driving trucks) before he became a politician and "sold it", that I respect.
Anywho, I thought it was a, touching, im my eyes, tribute to her.
RIP ma'am.

Edit: I know it says you can share it, but you still can't save the image, so whatever...

Trump may nominate a RBG replacement before the election, but I am not sure that he will.

But even if he does, I highly doubt they will be confirmed before the election.

It takes time for the Democrats to line up the rape victims.

You sound like the kind of person to hope Jean Carroll loses her case only so you & all us other taxpayers don't have to foot the bill rather than question why the **** that case has been moved to federal court in the first place.

Trump may nominate a RBG replacement before the election, but I am not sure that he will.

It would be alot easier if Republicans didn't nominate those with shady pasts, but it's part of the job description these days.

Out of curiosity, are there any extremely conservative female jurists who could be thrusted into the role by the Republicans?

This seems a sound and solid statement.
But my take is that he would make a futile nomination if he had the right candidate. The object being a political distraction - or sideshow - which would distract/disorient his opposition and rev up his base.

Out of curiosity, are there any extremely conservative female jurists who could be thrusted into the role by the Republicans?

I agree on the conservative female aspect, but she does not at all need to be a jurist.

It turns out that some of the most highly regarded occupants of the office of Supreme Court justice shared that lack of prior judicial experience with Ms. Rao: John Marshall, William Rehnquist, Lewis Powell Jr., Abe Fortas, Earl Warren, William Douglas, Felix Frankfurter, Louis Brandeis and Elena Kagan. That’s nine out of many who have served on our nation’s highest court with no previous judicial experience.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/many-justices-were-never-judges-before-appointment-11552596987

IMHO, his nominee might be a recently unemployed black Christian female Chief of Police.

Apparently Murkowski, Collins & Grassley have previously made public pledges not to vote on a vacancy in 2020. Not that pledges mean anything anymore.
Well, Collins is currently behind in the polling. So she'd probably quickly flipflop if it was likely to help her reelection bid.
I don't think many of the senators really stand for anything, aside from self-preservation.
You better believe that somewhere there's a think tank working on a plan to fire up the Maine voters right now.

Well, Collins is currently behind in the polling. So she'd probably quickly flipflop if it was likely to help her reelection bid.
I don't think many of the senators really stand for anything, aside from self-preservation.
You better believe that somewhere there's a think tank working on a plan to fire up the Maine voters right now.

As with everything in this election cycle, Collins has to balance the need to turn out the Republican base with the need to appeal to moderate & independent Maine voters. My suspicion is that, in Maine at least, the latter need is more pressing than the former.

Back