America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
This feels over the line.

One thing I keep thinking about is if Trump really was doing "well" I'm almost certain he would be tweeting. The fact that he is not tweeting makes me think there is truth to rumors that he isn't well. (edit: apparently he has tweeted today - though it's tough to say it's him behind the keypad)

What a ******* weird year.

It's a pretty funny meme from a random person, and given who it is and his entire handling of downplaying covid and safety precautions for the entire US, it isn't over the line at all. Especially when this was his response to Hilary 4 years ago.

Trump's done his fair share of being implicit in the deaths of many Americans from this situation, and then boasts about doing a great job when we have the highest infection and death rate from the pandemic.

Last edited:
It's a pretty funny meme from a random person, and given who it is and his entire handling of downplaying covid and safety precautions for the entire US, it isn't over the line at all. Especially when this was his response to Hilary 4 years ago.

Trump's done his fair share of being implicit in the deaths of many Americans from this situation, and then boasts about doing a great job when we have the highest infection and death rate from the pandemic.

I mean it's a sad thing to say, but I'd hope that the bar on our forum is higher than that of the POTUS.

I mean it's a sad thing to say, but I'd hope that the bar on our forum is higher than that of the POTUS.

This is how low you need to go to get under the bar set by Trump:

hermes-limbo.gif

But I agree, while Trump is a horrible person and has treated the pandemic, along with everyone suffering from it like crap, I still don't think his death should be joked about. While I'm sure there are a bunch of people that hope for that, for the stability of the country I want him to get better and get back to doing whatever is he does (golfing and Tweeting mostly). Plus, there are people that, presumably, still love the man and he still has a family.

This is how low you need to go to get under the bar set by Trump:

hermes-limbo.gif

But I agree, while Trump is a horrible person and has treated the pandemic, along with everyone suffering from it like crap, I still don't think his death should be joked about. While I'm sure there are a bunch of people that hope for that, for the stability of the country I want him to get better and get back to doing whatever is he does (golfing and Tweeting mostly). Plus, there are people that, presumably, still love the man and he still has a family.

You are a significantly nicer person than I. I am very much in the camp of "I don't wish him harm, but I cannot wish the best for him, either."

That being said, I do want him to survive, because I imagine his death would cause a buttload of instability.

There are enough lunatics amongst Trump's supporters who have convinced themselves that everyone to the left of them wants Trump to die. I'm convinced they're projecting their own behaviour onto everyone else and that this is how they'd behave if the position was reversed.

I hope Trump pulls through, even if he exploits his recovery to play down the virus. Having him become a martyr to the right would be even worse. Just imagine the damage to democracy that would be perpetrated in his memory if that happened.

He has no respect for dead opponents like John McCain but his supporters would demand outright reverence on his behalf while at the same time blaming anyone else but him for a situation that's largely of his own making.

Last edited:
In all honesty, Trump needs to be defeated at the ballot box. Anything else will not provide closure for America.
But can there be such a thing as a fair election while Trump is in charge? He has already done his utmost to interfere with the democratic process - and has already denounced a forthcoming defeat as evidence that the entire election process is corrupt.

Mark Meadows this morning said Trump made "unbelievable improvements" in his health from yesterday morning, but also noted that his blood oxygen level dropped rapidly at one point before going to Walter Reed. That comment has led to a couple articles remarking that the White House acknowledged his condition was worse than reported.

Now you've got people who don't know whether to believe Meadows or not; is the President actually doing better or has he gotten worse? Wouldn't even be such lines of questioning if this administration had just been upfront from the start.

He doesn't exactly look on death's door to me:

Some on Twitter are calling it staged media. Someone apparently pulled the metadata in the 2 photos posted of Trump (one taken during that video) and one taken in another room of him working (signing a blank paper with a sharpie), and says the photos were taken 10 minutes apart.

But can there be such a thing as a fair election while Trump is in charge? He has already done his utmost to interfere with the democratic process - and has already denounced a forthcoming defeat as evidence that the entire election process is corrupt.

It has to be a clear defeat in both the EC & the popular vote. Anything less is going to lead to accusations, conflict & possibly violence. That's what it's come to in America. :indiff:

According to People.com, Trump's Dr. said he "was trying to reflect upbeat attitude" in light of omitting details of his condition.

NBC is reporting that Trump is now on a steroid therapy after "brief episodes".
President Donald Trump's medical team said Sunday in a press conference that Trump's conditions were improving after multiple "episodes" over the weekend and after he was placed on a steroid therapy typically used with more severe Covid-19 cases.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...ealth-improving-after-brief-episodes-n1242057

Because I think @Joey D & @Touring Mars are the forum's best when it comes to Covid, I have to ask, can the steroid therapy be used as just precaution or does its use automatically indicate concern? Because they seem to be talking about Trump being discharged within' 24 hours, but folks are saying a mixture of dexamethasone, oxygen, and Remdesivir within' 4 days of being admitted would heavily indicate otherwise.

According to People.com, Trump's Dr. said he "was trying to reflect upbeat attitude" in light of omitting details of his condition.

NBC is reporting that Trump is now on a steroid therapy after "brief episodes".

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...ealth-improving-after-brief-episodes-n1242057

Because I think @Joey D & @Touring Mars are the forum's best when it comes to Covid, I have to ask, can the steroid therapy be used as just precaution or does its use automatically indicate concern? Because they seem to be talking about Trump being discharged within' 24 hours, but folks are saying a mixture of dexamethasone, oxygen, and Remdesivir within' 4 days of being admitted would heavily indicate otherwise.

The link given in that article has a pretty good description at the bottom of it. Basically, it shouldn't be used as a preventative and it doesn't treat covid. It reduces inflammation on the lungs, possibly also suppresses the immune system response to covid.

Though on the other hand Trump made sure to do a parade lap around the hospital in a military convoy today, so Kim would be proud either way.
I do think this quote is a bit over-dramatic, but it's a solid point. All it did was play into his narcissism to see his supporters whilst any men inside the vehicle now have to quarantine. He literally took a few of his protection crew out of service for 2 weeks.
Walter Reed Attending Phys
That Presidential SUV is not only bulletproof, but hermetically sealed against chemical attack. The risk of COVID19 transmission inside is as high as it gets outside of medical procedures. The irresponsibility is astounding. My thoughts are with the Secret Service forced to play," Dr. James P. Phillips, who is also the Chief of Disaster Medicine at George Washington University Emergency Medicine. "Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential 'drive-by' just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die. For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity," he continued.

I do think this quote is a bit over-dramatic, but it's a solid point. All it did was play into his narcissism to see his supporters whilst any men inside the vehicle now have to quarantine. He literally took a few of his protection crew out of service for 2 weeks.
The protection crew might as well walk around with hazmat suits when around the president for the immediate future.

From what I understand, it's risky to use dexamethasone as a treatment for COVID patients who aren't receiving supplemental oxygen or are on a ventilator. It's a type of steroid called a glucocorticoid, which is really effective at reducing inflammation but is also an immunosuppressant. However, it can be relatively safe depending on the dosage. If you've ever had a severe sore throat, you might've even got a dose of it before. The same goes for asthma sufferers who've ended up at the urgent care or ED when having an attack.

My guess is that it was determined that the benefits outweigh the risks for Trump. I know the information has been a bit sketchy about Trump's condition, and that's probably for a good reason, so it's hard to tell why the decision was made to administer it. It sounds like his O2-sats were around 90-92%, which while low isn't an extreme call for alarm. I have an O2-sats meter that I use for my son and I've been advised to only take him to the ED when his levels dip below 90%.

I'm not sure what sort of medical records they keep on the president (any president) but I have to imagine that they are about as complete as you can get without actively dissecting someone.

Given what we currently know, I don't think his treatment is really a cause for panic right now. But I think it does indicate that he has more than just "mild symptoms".

I don't support Trump or ACB but they have a ready made get-out in that according to this press release, Regeneron use mouse embryos to create their stem cells, not aborted human foetuses. Human life is sacred to them, not all life.

I don't support Trump or ACB but they have a ready made get-out in that according to this press release, Regeneron use mouse embryos to create their stem cells, not aborted human foetuses. Human life is sacred to them, not all life.

It does mention human embryonic stem cells as well, although in limited use.

Back