Assetto Corsa in VRPC 

• Thread starter r3b3ld3
  • 440 comments
Think I will first invest in upgrading my 3070ti , and only then (and if the wife still permits it) will I upgrade to the latest and greatest headset (maybe it'll be the Crystal Light , maybe there will be something even better by then 🤷‍♂️)
On the 3070ti I can only push the Quest3 to smooth 80hz visuals (w FOV 0.7; 0.4 and without PP effects) , so I doubt updating the headset first is the best idea. (esp not knowing if the FOV trick can be applied to it - if not I sure don't have the GPU power to get the image as good as in the Quest3).

This brings me to a question for you all : is NVIDIA still the best way to go for AC with VR (or VR in general)? And if so, why?

(I remember when I bought my first PCVR game pc (w 2070s at that time), it was overall recommended to go team NVIDIA for VR, so I did...
But I don't remember the actual reasons behind it... and wonder for next gen cards is this reason still gonna be there?
I'd like to know if the Radeon RX 8000 series be a good upgrade for my 3070ti as well (as it may launch sooner then NVIDIA's 5 series and be less pricy as well).
This YT’er give you an indication on what to expect https://m.youtube.com/@Maraksot78/videos
and at this site you can get an indication on what to expect AMD vs Nvidia, pity they stopped testing, https://babeltechreviews.com/category/virtual-reality/
For the rest I did ask a guy on a Dutch site Tweakers, the same question, as he did work at an IT-VR company who has lots of test rigs with AMD/Nvidia, he did explained to me Nvidia is the safest choice for VR.
But lets stay to the facts, nobody (Intel/AMD) will be able to beat the Nvidia RTX 5090 Videocard. Only buying this Vcard, my wife would act hysterically, while in combination with a €1000,- Pimax, it will cost me one year without having sex with her. 🙇‍♀️

Last edited:
Hi guys I just wanted to give a heads-up after receiving my Crystal Light the other day

I started VR SIM racing with a cheap 2nd hand Pico 4 last year , which is great starting point to dip your toe in to VR . Using Virtual Desktop and setting up the openXr toolkit with open composite, which is well worth using for increased clarity and performance, I was immediately hooked and the triples went in the wardrobe 🤣.

I then upgraded to the quest 3 , similar to the Pico 4 but the screens are better and the edge to edge is great too but I wanted more resolution

After getting the Crystal light what I have noticed is because the focal length of the crystal is about 1 meter and I think the Pico and quest are approx 1.5 meter due to my left eye being slightly more long- sighted than the right am going to have to wear my reading glasses or get some lense inserts to correct my eyes , I didn't need to wear glasses with either the Pico or quest 3

Just a heads-up for anyone thinking of going the pimax route
Cheers

Last edited:
<snip>

After getting the Crystal light what I have noticed is because the focal length of the crystal is about 1 meter and I think the Pico and quest are approx 1.5 meter due to my left eye being slightly more long- sighted than the right am going to have to wear my reading glasses or get some lense inserts to correct my eyes , I didn't need to wear glasses with either the Pico or quest 3

Cheers
Good to know!

But, does that mean as someone wearing prescription glasses for having sharper view far away (-) , and having to take off my glasses to be able to read something close-by (<0.5m), would I be in trouble with the Crystal Light?
(both having to wear and not wear the glasses would be a pickle :lol: )

Why would the focal length be different for different HMDs? I just assumed it would be the same for all. Does it vary with ipd etc? Interesting.

I'm no eye sight expert but i have to wear glasses to see things clearly close-up but my distance vision is ok .

I would imagine if you are ok with close-up vision but your long distance vision is where you need glasses you would be ok using the crystal without glasses because the focal distance is shorter on the crystal than with the Pico or quest 3 so the image is focused closer on the pimax

But obviously that's my own opinion on it , would need to contact an optometrist for professional opinion

Hi guys I just wanted to give a heads-up after receiving my Crystal Light the other day

I started VR SIM racing with a cheap 2nd hand Pico 4 last year , which is great starting point to dip your toe in to VR . Using Virtual Desktop and setting up the openXr toolkit with open composite, which is well worth using for increased clarity and performance, I was immediately hooked and the triples went in the wardrobe 🤣.

I then upgraded to the quest 3 , similar to the Pico 4 but the screens are better and the edge to edge is great too but I wanted more resolution

Cheers
Found some chat about it here
This might kill the Crystal for me. My distance vision is perfect but I use reading glasses for close-up, but do NOT want to use them in VR. In the Rift I don't need to, everything is extremely clear, even when getting just a few cm away from objects.
Goddammit, if it's not one thing it's another with HMDs. CL looked like it ticked all the boxes for me (except OLED, but local dimming seemed to mitigate that)... and now this.
PSVR2, the door is ajar.

I would not write off the crystal for this reason !

The improvement in resolution, clarity and the amazing qled panels ( the colours are amazing ) is worth the trade off of having to use lens inserts, I'm just trying to decide which ones to get after having my eyes re-tested .

The crystal is the best picture quality on the market atm at an affordable price and probably will be untill new GPU's are available. I'm on a 5800x3d / 4090 pc and can only get a steady 90 FPS in Assetto Corsa at about 85% resolution with the crystal so the future 4k per eye headsets are gonna need a big jump in GPU power

So far enjoyed playing with the headset and will only improve with new lenses inserts

Cheers

I would not write off the crystal for this reason !

The improvement in resolution, clarity and the amazing qled panels ( the colours are amazing ) is worth the trade off of having to use lens inserts, I'm just trying to decide which ones to get after having my eyes re-tested .

The crystal is the best picture quality on the market atm at an affordable price and probably will be untill new GPU's are available. I'm on a 5800x3d / 4090 pc and can only get a steady 90 FPS in Assetto Corsa at about 85% resolution with the crystal so the future 4k per eye headsets are gonna need a big jump in GPU power

So far enjoyed playing with the headset and will only improve with new lenses inserts

Cheers
But all of that extra resolution and clarity will be a complete waste of money for me if the image is blurry because of the 1m focal length. With the 'standard' 1.5m or 2m focal length or other HMDs I would not need my reading glasses (the image in the CV1, for example, is perfectly in focus). The very last thing I want is to have to start wearing glasses with VR, or pay extra for expensive prescription lens inserts that add artefacts and glare and might need changing if my prescription changes.
It's beyond me why Pimax feel they need to go against the grain and defy normal convention with something like this, and is another example of the weird decisions they make that always arouses suspicion in me.
After many years of nightmare stories regarding terrible customer service, janky software, quality issues and weird design decisions, it seemed like they'd finally got their crap together with the Crystal Light and then they go and do something like this.
I had to fight my own instincts pretty hard to even consider buying a Pimax product and now I'm back to square one.

Last edited:
Yeah fair points .

It's definitely not a perfect headset, the 1m focal length is a bad idea for anyone with less than perfect near sight vision .

And even though it's lighter than the OG crystal, it's still big and weighty.

I want more resolution than the quest 3 /Pico 4, so the crystal light is the only affordable solution imho and I can't wait for the next 4k per eye headsets and 5090/6090 GPU's

All the best

Last edited:
But all of that extra resolution and clarity will be a complete waste of money for me if the image is blurry because of the 1m focal length. With the 'standard' 1.5m or 2m focal length or other HMDs I would not need my reading glasses (the image in the CV1, for example, is perfectly in focus). The very last thing I want is to have to start wearing glasses with VR, or pay extra for expensive prescription lens inserts that add artefacts and glare and might need changing if my prescription changes.
It's beyond me why Pimax feel they need to go against the grain and defy normal convention with something like this, and is another example of the weird decisions they make that always arouses suspicion in me.
After many years of nightmare stories regarding terrible customer service, janky software, quality issues and weird design decisions, it seemed like they'd finally got their crap together with the Crystal Light and then they go and do something like this.
I had to fight my own instincts pretty hard to even consider buying a Pimax product and now I'm back to square one.
This is going to be interesting. I had both of my eyes operated on because of cataracts . I now have lenses for driving ect. Looks like I might need to wear my glasses. Don’t need glasses with my G2. The only problem I may have is that I have variafocals so may have to get some reading glasses .

This is going to be interesting. I had both of my eyes operated on because of cataracts . I now have lenses for driving ect. Looks like I might need to wear my glasses. Don’t need glasses with my G2. The only problem I may have is that I have variafocals so may have to get some reading glasses .
I really hope you don't have to. It could be a constant annoyance after driving glasses-free in HMDs for years.

Logic states that the Crystal Light (A PSVR product with a permanent tether) would be mostly bought by 'serious' racing and flight sim enthusiasts with the money for expensive setups, ie a middle-aged+ demographic.
This age group is on or beyond the 'typical' age where vision changes from short-sightedness (myopia) to long-sightedness (far-sightedness or hyperopia), so you'd think that 'most' Crystal/Light users would tend towards hyperopia.
So what do Pimax do? Set a focal length that creates issues for anyone with hyperopia, that other headsets manage to avoid.

Last edited:
I really hope you don't have to. It could be a constant annoyance after driving glasses-free in HMDs for years.

Logic states that the Crystal Light (A PSVR product with a permanent tether) would be mostly bought by 'serious' racing and flight sim enthusiasts with the money for expensive setups, ie a middle-aged+ demographic.
This age group is on or beyond the 'typical' age where vision changes from short-sightedness (myopia) to long-sightedness (far-sightedness or hyperopia), so you'd think that 'most' Crystal/Light users would tend towards hyperopia.
So what do Pimax do? Set a focal length that creates issues for anyone with hyperopia, that other headsets manage to avoid.
It’s crazy. I didn’t realise that this even existed. I thought all VR headset were set to one level as in distance. Will have to get round it one way or another. I did try my G2 with glasses but preferred it with out.

Excellent, thanks. Not too long to wait then. Hopefully hands-on reviews will be available well before the release date.

Weird decision not to include an approved DP cable with the adaptor though, it needs one to work and people might unwittingly buy an incompatible one.

So, grab a nearly-new buyer's remorse PSVR2 from Ebay or FB marketplace for ~£250 and you could have a very nice high-res OLED PCVR with controllers for £300. Almost seems too good to be true.

I daren't even research what the PSVR2 focal length is... 😆

Edit: I dared. According to Sony, focal length is around 2m (yay!) and max IPD is 72mm (yay again!).

Last edited:
Fresnel lenses tho on psvr2
Although the oled panels would be nice
Yeah, but that's a necessary compromise it seems to get an appropriate focal length.
Damn you, Pimax. You almost had me.
I don't do a lot of driving at night (hardly ever, TBH) but even when I do, and even in the rain, I can't say I've noticed any glare from the Rift's fresnel lenses to the point of distraction.
Plus, I can definitely get a barely-used PSVR2 for £250 locally, so £300 all-in for a massive upgrade over my CV1 seems like a no-brainer. Once everything's factored in the CL would be close to three times that amount.
And the resolution seems more appropriate for my 4080... A lot of the Crystal Light's resolution would have to be reduced anyway.
If only the Quest 3 had display port and if only the Light had a sensible focal length...
If I've learnt anything from the past few years of research it's that it's almost impossible to find one HMD that ticks all the boxes.

I imagine used prices for PSVR2 might rise sharply soon as seller's get savvy to their new PC-owning customers...

Last edited:
Yeah I agree there is no HMD that ticks all the boxes ATM

I used a Pico neo3 link for a short time with Fresnel lenses and the small sweet spot was a no go for me , although the image in the sweet spot was good probably due to the display port cable .

The quest 3 has great lenses and decent screens but the blacks are pretty bad to my eyes .

Big screen beyond, the fixed ipd and face scanning requirements are dealt breakers as well as needing base stations etc.

It's a nightmare because VR gaming is so niche it must be hard for big manufacturers to invest in decent spec'd HMD due to probably low sales numbers .

It's comprises everywhere with VR at the moment.

Yeah I agree there is no HMD that ticks all the boxes ATM

I used a Pico neo3 link for a short time with Fresnel lenses and the small sweet spot was a no go for me , although the image in the sweet spot was good probably due to the display port cable .

The quest 3 has great lenses and decent screens but the blacks are pretty bad to my eyes .

Big screen beyond, the fixed ipd and face scanning requirements are dealt breakers as well as needing base stations etc.

It's a nightmare because VR gaming is so niche it must be hard for big manufacturers to invest in decent spec'd HMD due to probably low sales numbers .

It's comprises everywhere with VR at the moment.
And then Pimax misses an open goal by halving the focal length of every other HMD just because they're proven idiots.
:lol:

Also keep in mind the persistence (and Mura) of the OLED display. When SadlyItsBradley did his review, he said he became nauseas when using it. And he's not a VR-rookie. If Sony is going to make it compatible just through the adapter, I'm wondering how you would adjust the settings like brightness of displays. I think it would require them to make a small software-program as well to provide PSVR2-PC users with the same settings options PSVR2-PS5 users have on their console. (persistence becomes less of a problem when lowering the brightness of the displays).

Unfortunately all headsets today have a caveat or two.

PSVR2 - Mura, Persistence
Aero - EOL (support) december 2025
Pimax - Pimax
Beyond - Glare, FOV, Small sweetspot
Somnium - Price, Front heavy
Quest 3 - Video compression

I won't deny I'm still curious about the PSVR2 on PC. The OLED blacks with 120fps. But then again, I never like Halo straps and going back from pancake and Aspheric lenses to Fresnell might be too much of a step back. If I had to choose right now, it would be the Quest 3, or a second hand Aero (I think focal lenght is 1.8m). Maybe a Pimax Crystal Light, but I would brace myself for disapointment the second I hit: Confirm Order.

The holy grail of PCVR headsets is not here yet. On the other hand, if you're coming from a Rift S, everything should be quite a step forward. Especially with a 4080 powering the headset.

Also keep in mind the persistence (and Mura) of the OLED display. When SadlyItsBradley did his review, he said he became nauseas when using it. And he's not a VR-rookie. If Sony is going to make it compatible just through the adapter, I'm wondering how you would adjust the settings like brightness of displays. I think it would require them to make a small software-program as well to provide PSVR2-PC users with the same settings options PSVR2-PS5 users have on their console. (persistence becomes less of a problem when lowering the brightness of the displays).

Unfortunately all headsets today have a caveat or two.

PSVR2 - Mura, Persistence
Aero - EOL (support) december 2025
Pimax - Pimax
Beyond - Glare, FOV, Small sweetspot
Somnium - Price, Front heavy
Quest 3 - Video compression

I won't deny I'm still curious about the PSVR2 on PC. The OLED blacks with 120fps. But then again, I never like Halo straps and going back from pancake and Aspheric lenses to Fresnell might be too much of a step back. If I had to choose right now, it would be the Quest 3, or a second hand Aero (I think focal lenght is 1.8m). Maybe a Pimax Crystal Light, but I would brace myself for disapointment the second I hit: Confirm Order.

The holy grail of PCVR headsets is not here yet. On the other hand, if you're coming from a Rift S, everything should be quite a step forward. Especially with a 4080 powering the headset.
Not even coming from Rift-S.. I'm coming from CV1..!
Again, I've never noticed persistence or mura in my CV1 OLEDs, but maybe those are worse on the PSVR2.
I could never consider a Q3 as I'd always be looking for compression artefacts whether I wanted to or not.
IPD rules out a lot of HMDs too.
These are all reasons why I've stuck with my CV1s for so long. It just works, and is comfortable, and light, and not a power drain, and has a wide enough IPD, and is OLED. It (and its backup, never needed, but I occasionally swap them over) have performed like warriors and are still going strong. Both have broken audio of course like 99% of all CV1s but I only use that for Crew Chief, and have cable-tied earbuds to the head strap. Neither has a single dead pixel either after all these years.

Last edited:
Not even coming from Rift-S.. I'm coming from CV1..!
Again, I've never noticed persistence or mura in my CV1 OLEDs, but maybe those are worse on the PSVR2.
I could never consider a Q3 as I'd always be looking for compression artefacts whether I wanted to or not.
IPD rules out a lot of HMDs too.
These are all reasons why I've stuck with my CV1s for so long. It just works, and is comfortable, and light, and not a power drain, and has a wide enough IPD, and is OLED. It (and its backup, never needed, but I occasionally swap them over) have performed like warriors and are still going strong. Both have broken audio of course like 99% of all CV1s but I only use that for Crew Chief, and have cable-tied earbuds to the head strap. Neither has a single dead pixel either after all these years.
I loved my CV1.🥰 It will always be the godfather of VR. It also puts you in best possible position for an upgrade (unless you're considering the original HTC vive 😉). Did you ever try other headsets? The ski mask strap concept vs halo strap could also become a deal breaker when you experienced both. The halo straps often have more wobble when glancing left or right in the cockpit. I personally can't take it. It's a constant reminder that I'm wearing a headset.

I loved my CV1.🥰 It will always be the godfather of VR. It also puts you in best possible position for an upgrade (unless you're considering the original HTC vive 😉). Did you ever try other headsets? The ski mask strap concept vs halo strap could also become a deal breaker when you experienced both. The halo straps often have more wobble when glancing left or right in the cockpit. I personally can't take it. It's a constant reminder that I'm wearing a headset.
I think the CV1 might be the only headset I've tried. The IPD has ruled most others out.
Tell a lie, I bought a Quest 2 but returned it because of the grey LCD blacks, the compression artefacts over USB, and eye strain due to the narrow IPD.
Returning to the CV1 was like putting on an old pair of comfy slippers.

First psvr2 pc adapter and just now Palmer Lucky is tweeting that he's announcing that he's working on a new HMD.. What's up with today ...

First psvr2 pc adapter and just now Palmer Lucky is tweeting that he's announcing that he's working on a new HMD.. What's up with today ...
A couple of years ago he also said that he'd provide a free retrofit solution to the CV1 headphone problem because the original design with sliding contacts was fatally flawed. He even set a website up for applications. AFAIK no units were ever produced. The whole thing was probably just a data farming exercise and a complete waste of time.

So yeah, colour me sceptical....

Last edited:
I damaged the outer layer of one of my Quest3 lenses wearing them too close to my prescription glasses, and sent the headset in for repair/replacement (luckely took an extensive warranty that also includes breaking the headset accidentally).
So I tried again my Quest2 after months of Quest3 usage, and I must say I cannot go back!
The edge-to-edge clarity is now something I got used to in the Q3 and can't miss anymore. (because of the fresnel lenses I guess)
So I'm afraid this will be same in PSVR2.

@Masscot , I don't even notice compression artifacts anymore in the Q3 with Link cable , because with Q3 you can increase the bitrate well above default (of 130 Mbps) thus reducing the artefacts. For example I have it set now to 650 Mbps, and I do not notice compression artifacts anymore!

@Masscot , I don't even notice compression artifacts anymore in the Q3 with Link cable , because with Q3 you can increase the bitrate well above default (of 130 Mbps) thus reducing the artefacts. For example I have it set now to 650 Mbps, and I do not notice compression artifacts anymore!
Even in worst-case scenarios, like at night in heavy rain with illuminated raindrops hitting the windscreen and many cars ahead of you?

Even in worst-case scenarios, like at night in heavy rain with illuminated raindrops hitting the windscreen and many cars ahead of you?
never tried that... I always drive in sunny daytime conditions (cause why would I make it rain in the sim, when I live in a country where we have too much of rain already ? ;)

Not to mention the frame times that are fluctuate like hell, no my eyes prefer a clear sunny sky.

BTW I have special made prescription lenses for my headset and it’s working great. What important here is to get lenses from well respected spectacle glass manufacturers for like Zeiss, Essilor, Nikon, Pentax etc, but not from unknown sources, because this could be a printed lens or a cheap made in China product.

never tried that... I always drive in sunny daytime conditions (cause why would I make it rain in the sim, when I live in a country where we have too much of rain already ? ;)
Ah, so the Q3 video compression is absolutely 100% not a problem so long as you're very careful not to make things too difficult for it. Gotcha. Exactly as I thought. And exactly why it would always be nagging at the back of my mind whenever I was driving.

I don't think there's any magic that'll make compressed video over USB appear to be as solid as a native feed, but I guess it's just something I'll have to try for myself somehow.

Edit: I've been researching this USB video compression issue since the Quest 2 came out, and again with the Quest 3. The very best that people can say is that the compression isn't too distracting, or that it's acceptable, or that they only see it if they look for it. None of that would work for me. I'd always be wondering (as I was with my short time with the Q2) why I've 'upgraded' from the CV1 to get sharper visuals that are then subject to blurring and pixellation and duller colours due to video compression. It just doesn't make sense.
And that's ignoring the added latency, the occasional hitching and the occasional flash of pure black frames that I was getting in the Q2. The CV1 is much lower-res, but it's a rock-solid performer over Display Port. The Q2 always felt like it was struggling to keep up with things, which in a sense it was.
No, I think that no matter how good people say the USB video feed is over USB with the Q3, it'll always be somewhat flaky compared to DP. And I'm sure there's quite a bit of subjective denial going on with some Q3 users as to how good it objectively really is, as if they're trying to convince themselves that the compromises are minimal.
Present company excepted, of course..! :)

Not to mention the frame times that are fluctuate like hell, no my eyes prefer a clear sunny sky.

BTW I have special made prescription lenses for my headset and it’s working great. What important here is to get lenses from well respected spectacle glass manufacturers for like Zeiss, Essilor, Nikon, Pentax etc, but not from unknown sources, because this could be a printed lens or a cheap made in China product.
But that's a GPU/CPU issue, and nothing to do with VR. I can easily run a situation like that at a rock solid 90fps with my 4080.

Or do you mean that type of situation would always stutter over USB due to bandwidth throttling?

Last edited:
Back