Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
So you think AC is much better because your wheel rumbles more when driving over curbs/holes on the road?
Nah man AC is lacking also but free pack is very welcomed. :D

Last edited:
So you think AC is much better because your wheel rumbles more when driving over curbs/holes on the road?
Nah man AC is lacking also but free pack is very welcomed. :D
Struggling to see how you can sum up user feedback to being we like it more simply for more curb feel.. Have you actually tried AC with a proper wheel?

THERE'S TOO MUCH GOING ON, WE'RE GOING MAD KEEPING UP WITH ALL OF THIS. :lol:

In other news, I still need to download that F1 mod. The audio is just too good.

EDIT: [Merged] Double post because necessary...

AC is getting the F138? Why? I mean, awesome!

Seriously, it's ugly (and awful) as sin but I had no idea.

Last edited:
Struggling to see how you can sum up user feedback to being we like it more simply for more curb feel.. Have you actually tried AC with a proper wheel?
I do see a lot of people upholding Assetto as having the best and most realistic ffb, but citing the canned effects as the reason why it's so.

There's no shame in liking abstract concepts, but they should be identified as such. We can like or dislike abstract ffb, like or dislike realistic ffb - but the former is subjective, and should be viewed accordingly, just as the objective nature of the latter should be recognised.

Arguing the realism of weight transfer effect (which can't be removed), curb, road, and slip effects is like arguing the realism of using analogue stick vs trigger acceleration for a gamepad.

There is also more to AC than just the FFB alone, @Pillo-san, such as the games physics & tire models to each individual vehicle, but my point was I'm excited to get a more realistic representation of the car, versus GT's 'messed up gravity' physics which nullified any new 'suspension model' GT6 has, IMO.

But if people want to pointlessly argue apples vs oranges, like @LeMansAid said (and I agree with), go ahead, I've got better things to do with my time :lol:

I think that the frustration for @Pillo-san might be that too many people argue about the subjective parameters as if they're objective ones.

It should also be noted @Kurei, that realistically the ffb is not purely output. When weight transfer effect pulls the wheel, it's supplying unrealistic output that is then fed back in as input. Ultimately the behaviour of the car is compromised, and owners of powerful wheels are more at risk.

Controlled by a robot that could calculate and counter the effect immediately, the car's behaviour would not suffer at the hands of the abstract ffb output, but we're human. There's always going to be a certain percentage of the unrealistic behaviour of the ffb transferred back to the car, as input.

:P

Don´t take me wrong because I criticize AC. I kinda like it, but sometimes it frustrates me because of the lack of "weight feel". I have actually managed to get a better ffb feel but it can only be done in the race cars.. In suspension menu i just raise the wheel rate value to stiffen the suspension up. Other wise it feels like the car is floating. The change lets me feel the more, it feels more solid, the wheel gets heavier when it needs to.

But I neeed more cars, and of course more tracks and I want it nooooow :P

After struggling to find any good FFB setup for Project CARS, I gave up and went back to AC. Say whatever you want, but this is far better FFB than most other sims. I lowered the road/slip/curb effects to 0% and use the FFB clipping app to avoid clipping. Yes there may be some weight transfer effects that you can’t disable, but I can live with that, because they are subtle enough.

I also prefer the graphics in AC more than other sims. Noticed that they fixed the 5.1 surround sound, at least on the cars I drove. Been waiting so long for that.

And now a free car pack with the usual AC quality! Man it just keeps getting better and better!

Never driven a real race car, but from what I've read strictly speaking no sim has "realistic" ffb, right? Isn't there a lot more info coming through our sim wheels than it would in a real race car's wheel?

What I love about AC is that it gives me a fantastic illusion of "realistic" feel. There is so much info coming through the wheel, much more so than in other sims I have tried. This game is better than any other at giving me the illusion of feeling the road surface through the wheel. So I always know what the car is doing and can adjust accordingly.

And that feeling is just incredibly fun and addictive. :) That's why I don't mind just hotlapping in AC, since it's the driving itself that is so enjoyable.

I don't use any canned effects by the way. No need to.

Last edited:
It is all about that driving sensation you get through your wheel IMO. That’s what makes playing sims with a wheel different than other forms of gaming. That’s what you paid good money for – to have that sensation of sitting in a car seat with pedals under your feet and wheel in your hands. So when the game fails to deliver the feeling that you are in control because you feel what the car is doing and brakes that illusion, then no matter what other features the game is offering, it has already failed.

So AC may be lacking features or content, but they nailed the most important thing right off the bat. Features and content are easily added when the fundaments are there. I feel kind of the opposite for Project CARS - they have the content, but released a game without really finishing the stuff that drives it.

Say whatever you want, but this is far better FFB than most other sims.

It's still my favourite sim, and the ffb is a huge part of that. It's just that whenever I run it without motion the weight transfer effect really sticks out to me. With Project Cars really upping the ante, having quite possibly the most sophisticated ffb generating process of any sim, old school ffb is gradually starting to feel a little unsophisticated.

I also prefer the graphics in AC more than other sims.
With the settings I run Assetto and PCARS on, PCARS looks a bit like a pig with lipstick in comparison to be honest. I also really can't bring myself to play it at all at the moment though, without proper triple screen support like Assetto has.

I lowered the road/slip/curb effects to 0% and use the FFB clipping app to avoid clipping.

Yeah, for me it's a must on both counts there.

I feel kind of the opposite for Project CARS - they have the content, but released a game without really finishing the stuff that drives it.

As far I can tell PCARS has way more going on "under the hood". It's not what I prefer to run at the moment, but it's a much smarter sim at it's core.

Don´t take me wrong because I criticize AC. I kinda like it, but sometimes it frustrates me because of the lack of "weight feel". I have actually managed to get a better ffb feel but it can only be done in the race cars.. In suspension menu i just raise the wheel rate value to stiffen the suspension up. Other wise it feels like the car is floating. The change lets me feel the more, it feels more solid, the wheel gets heavier when it needs to.

I still think you've got it backwards. If the weight transfer effect is suspension based, I'd have thought you should be getting less of it with that set up. You're asking for weight transfer feel, but I think that it's exactly that that is bothering you and masking the representation of what a real steering wheel would be doing.

@LeMansAid The presence of the car increases a lot by doing that, like there is actually a heavy/ier car instead of just the rumble effects. I usually don't tinker with cars bedside with the camber and toe in/out settings and to my surprise raising the "wheel rate" value did make me feel more of the cars weight and what it is doing.

Welcoming myself to the club. Currently downloading the game and bought the dream pack as well.
Sucks that I won't be able to actually play it until tomorrow evening...

Welcoming myself to the club. Currently downloading the game and bought the dream pack as well.
Sucks that I won't be able to actually play it until tomorrow evening...
Downloading now also. The $27.49 USD for the full package is too good to pass up again.
Thankfully I should have it up and running in minutes.

Downloading now also. The $27.49 USD for the full package is too good to pass up again.
Thankfully I should have it up and running in minutes.
Just finished downloading it, was able to start it and hear the McLaren F1 rev a little bit. Off to work 2-10 and then tomorrow 8-4 so that's why I can't play yet.

Got the game a couple of days ago and been racing on the Nurburgring from the addon pack. I have a 2dof motion rig coupled with a GS-4 seat and wow is this for real. I know the track is laser scanned and what not but going at 200+kph, the telemetry AC is sending to my motion rig is just incredible. All the road ripples and bumps are too much, I even dialed my motion down for AC. I can only think if this is real life, I might end up with kidney failure or brain shaking injury. Anyone here who has actually rode on the nurburgring doing 200+kph confirm this is close to real or not. I love this game.

I just watched a video on youtube of real life Zonda cockpit on the Nordschleife and what I experience in my motion sim is milder compared to real but close. The driver's head keeps on shaking and bouncing all throughout. Well I guess AC Nordschleife is close to real if I may say. I'll keep my motion sim dialed down as at full I'm afraid the actuators wouldn't last long if I continue running this sim.

Since a bunch of other releases have come out recently, it's been a while since I went back to Assetto Corsa. I can honestly say it's great to be back :)

244210_2015-06-27_00001.jpg

~100 mph exit speed out of turn 10 at Monza and I managed to hold this slide that took me right onto the rumble strips. The cars just respond so well!!

Since a bunch of other releases have come out recently, it's been a while since I went back to Assetto Corsa. I can honestly say it's great to be back :)

View attachment 398639

~100 mph exit speed out of turn 10 at Monza and I managed to hold this slide that took me right onto the rumble strips. The cars just respond so well!!
I did this on Paul Ricard after the long back straight felt really satisfying till i overshot the second part of the turn

11713699_10204614995168784_4956358476069885772_o-copy-600x237.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni’s Licensing Project Manager Marco Massarutto has revealed a new piece of content for Assetto Corsa via his Facebook page, the BMW M4 Coupe. Here’s the quote from Marco.

"Considering the size, I would never supposed this car was so nimble (and neither so powerful) until I drove it at Vallelunga last year. I’ve been really surprised, and the driving experience has been so exciting that I decided to require also the license of this model to BMW. And the best is yet to come, because for this particular car, we have created a special partnership with a very well-known company that will set a thrilling experience with the BMW 4M Coupé in Assetto Corsa. See you in Frankfurt next Spring.''

That tease at the end of the statement has me intrigued…

The F82 M4 Coupe will join other BMW offerings in Assetto Corsa such as the E30 M3, E89 Z4, 1 Series M Coupe, E92 M3, E30 M3 Group A, Z4 GT3, M3 GT2 and M235i Racing (Dream Pack). That’s a lot of BMW’s. Kunos’s BMW garage is starting to rival its large Lotus collection.

The 2015 BMW M4 Coupe will arrive in Assetto Corsa with 425 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque thanks to its new S55 twin-turbo inline six-cylinder engine motivating the rear tires to propel the 3530 lbs car from 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds.

As you can see, no concrete timetable was given for release – although that “Frankfurt next Spring” comment could be something – but we do know that it will not be part of the soon to be release Bonus Pack. Maybe it’ll be part of a ‘Dream Pack 2’?

And speaking of Assetto Corsa, Darin caught up with the Kunos crew at E3 and captured some exclusive footage of the new WIP user interface for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Assetto Corsa. Check it out at our Inside Sim Racing YouTube page.

http://www.isrtv.com/assetto-corsa/bmw-m4-coming-to-assetto-corsa/

What does everyone think about this post:

Ironically the sim that it's compared to against the most, Assetto Corsa, has many more flaws than most people dare to admit and is objectively a big step backwards from the 10 year old rFactor.

Assetto Corsa is also missing so many essential features that pre-rF1/rF1/rF2 had for many years, if not more than a decade.

• AI during multiplayer

• Adjustable brake pressure

• Adjustable steering lock per car

• Brake wear

• Brake temperature

• Oil temperature

• Water temperature

• Dynamic day/night cycles

• Drivers swaps during multiplayer and singleplayer

• Dynamic weather with rain

• Proper race/flag rules

• False starts

• Rolling starts

• Safety car

• Proper damage

• Pitstops in singleplayer

• Chassis flex

• Dynamic realroad rubber built-up based on driving lines

• Resume from replay savegame system for long races.

• Steering assist and adjustable speed sensitivity for keyboard users.

• Steering assist for gamepad users
And this is only the tip of the iceberg. So it's not for nothing that rFactors are the top choice by real-life racing teams for not only driver training, but also real race car development, because of physics accuracy

Source: https://np.reddit.com/r/pcars/comme...or_those_quick_to_trash_pcars_physics/cr8xlgo

I haven't played AC myself, but I heard how good the physics and FFB is from everyone and it genuinely surprises me the amount of things missing in AC that was already present in rFactor. I know rF2 have its fair share of problems as well, so this is not a hate post towards AC. I'm just wondering how much of the stuff above detracts from the driving experience? I hope Kunos takes a good look at the list above and continues to improve AC because it's the sim that has the most potential going forward and I'd like to see it be as perfect as it possibly can 👍

Regarding the FFB issues – that linked thread is a few patches back. As far as I’m aware those centering spring effects people are talking about there were resolved. The other stuff I really can’t comment on, but to be honest does not concern me. After all I’m not training for professional racing, just enjoying driving cool cars on great laser scanned tracks in the comfort of my home. And if there is a sim out there that really gives me enjoyment in the pure act of driving it is AC. Because it is the only one that feels “real” to me. I can agree that AI need improvement and more options for MP too.

As for rFactor – I can’t stand it for so many reasons, that I really don’t care if it simulates underbody collisions accurately..

I do find it funny how people think Pcars is truly used for training by real life racers. They were all payed to post up those videos. They were pre planned and had to be approved by SMS before being released. Dont you all find it funny how all of a sudden them videos stopped? Did they all quit training? Or is it just that the contracts are up?

As far as fudging the numbers, all the games are doing it. Its the way they have to for the games to work properly. The only difference being what they are fudging. Its already been shown Pcars cars numbers aren't correct. That was because a pro driver wanted the car to "feel" this way and had to fudge suspension numbers to achieve that goal. As was already said, they can fudge ALL the numbers they like as long as it "feels" right Im happy. As of right now AC feels the best to me and many many others.

We are trying for the illusion of realism and whatever it takes to achieve that is fine by me, real or fake. Just trick my simple mind is all I ask. Real world numbers mean crap in the virtual world.

True.^^ It's as bad as saying that GT4 was a training tool to Sebastian Loeb. Lol. Even though Pcar is a good competition to GT and Forza, it shouldnt even be compared to a hardcore sim like AC, Iracing, RF2 and GSC.

What does everyone think about this post:

Source: https://np.reddit.com/r/pcars/comme...or_those_quick_to_trash_pcars_physics/cr8xlgo

I haven't played AC myself, but I heard how good the physics and FFB is from everyone and it genuinely surprises me the amount of things missing in AC that was already present in rFactor. I know rF2 have its fair share of problems as well, so this is not a hate post towards AC. I'm just wondering how much of the stuff above detracts from the driving experience? I hope Kunos takes a good look at the list above and continues to improve AC because it's the sim that has the most potential going forward and I'd like to see it be as perfect as it possibly can 👍

This post is from someone who feels the need to promote RF2 and fells that it is superior to AC as a SIM.
I can see from your post that you have not driven in AC, not sure if you have driven RF2. RF2 has a demo available and AC is not expensive when on special on Steam. Try them both and make up your own mind.
I have tried both and concluded that AC simulates driving better than RF2, not even a close match, whatever ISI Rf2 is doing, I think they are doing it wrong. The funnier part is that even the Pcars defender say it is better than AC better brcause they calculate more stuff, just try it and you will see who is doing it right.
Ac as already grown bigger than originally expected, but there are some features that are not available yet, they will be, but meanwhile it is what it is and I love it, because the core feature, the driving, is very satisfying, and without the core the rest is irrelevant, reminds of the saying:
duke-ellington-quote-it-dont-mean-a-thing-if-it-aint-got-that-swing.jpg

I guess any game or sim can be picked apart and made to look bad by focusing on the negatives and missing features. Some of those features listed will never happen - night/day and rain (at least not in AC1) - and some are being worked on - SAT forces for example.

Detract from the driving experience they do not, to put it a little Yoda-ish. AC has the best driving experience in any of the sims I have tried.

As for PCars: I like it. :)

We are trying for the illusion of realism and whatever it takes to achieve that is fine by me, real or fake.
Bang on!

Sorry to continue the AC vs. PCars but what exactly is PCars lacking that this game, and other 'good feeling' sims, have? I've heard people say that PCars physics and FFB are great and I've heard that they suck so I don't know what to believe.

Back