Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Non-laser scanned tracks have a tendency to be too perfect. They drive as if the ashpalt was just laid and has no character. Surfaces tend to be pool table smooth and you feel nothing through the wheel unless you are climbing curbs. Its the small dips and bumps that really make tracks come alive with a good wheel and I find most of PD's tracks rather flat and boring.

As we know quality consistency is an issue with GT. I find Nordschleife, La Sarthe and Bathurst to be quite good. Silverstone, Fuji and Suzuka are flat as pancake, but looking at races on those tracks that seems to be how it actually is. Brands and Spa should be a bit bumpier though. Also, deficiencies in FFB and suspension modelling probably has a greater effect on GT's sanitary feel than the track models.

I'm not saying LSing tracks are useless, but they are not a necessity. I'd rather take a non LS track (as long as corner profiles and kerb placements are accurate) than no track at all. So in the case of Zandvoort, I welcome it with open arms. Would I like it to be laser scanned? Of course. But I also understand that takes time and money, so in the meantime this version will have to suffice. Hopefully Kunos will bring it up to standard in the future 👍

Last edited:
For me (online racer exclusively) laser scanning isn't that important. Im racing the other players not the track. Practicing for races will teach me any differences I need to adjust for and in away keeps things fresh between the sims. The way I look at going from laser scanned to non is that mother nature was extra hard on this track this year. :P That's if corners and kerbs are right, if they aren't I treat them as a track I haven't raced before and need extra practice to learn it. Its nice to know the track is a close to real life as possible, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

1.png

July 29, 2015Posted by John Sabol

As we near the end of July, Assetto Corsa fans have started to get a bit antsy over the impending V1.2 release, a release that was scheduled for this month. While a release in the next couple of days is feasible, August is looming large and it looks like Kunos decided to get out ahead of the swarms with this message on their Facebook page.

''Yes, we know. Lately we left you a bit alone. We understand that lack of news can give a wrong impression, but we have never gone away. We had an awesome experience at E3, that has followed the announcement of Assetto Corsa on console for next year, and we came back with a lot of exciting new opportunities for Assetto Corsa. We are working on more than 30 new cars and new tracks that are being produced for all formats, as well as a completely new interface and new and improved features. It is obvious that the Assetto Corsa project grows more and more and so we decided to enlarge our team, and in the last six weeks we hired new talented people to help us on our task even more. These activities have required all our attention, in order to organize the workflow of the next months. Contemporary, we paid a visit to Brands Hatch circuit for our Laserscan survey of the track, and we also visited the McLaren Technology Centre, as well as the Ferrari Factory. We have exciting news to share about the reasons of these journeys and we will keep you updated in the following months.

In the meantime, after some testing made during the 24H race weekend, we have started to use a new technology and approach to record sounds, directly at Vallelunga race circuit, where our HQ is located. More details will be revealed soon, but we think you will appreciate the new level of sound environment we are achieving.

As you can see, despite of the lack of news, we are working hard behind the scenes. The free bonus pack will not introduce only new exciting content but, more importantly, new features and sensible improvements, in all sectors: artificial intelligence, physics, multiplayer features, graphics and general performance.

The changelog will give you only a rough idea of what you will find under the hood. The updates related to the physics engine and force feedback will allow you to appreciate even more the new cars included in the bonus pack and rediscover the old ones. Our aim is to guarantee you the best driving experience whichever car model you choose to drive, and we continuously work hard to tweak, update and refresh all the previous content available in Assetto Corsa. Other features are a small preview of the updates that will arrive in future, like for example, the glowing brakes, frequently asked by our fans. That is another reason why we taken more time to complete and test the new build.

Regarding the selection of the new cars, the Alfa Romeo Mito Quadrifoglio Verde will join the fight versus the 500 Abarth EsseEsse and can also teach a thing or two against some older RWD machinery; the Audi Quattro is a legendary car so loved by car enthusiasts. When it was presented everybody else was struggling to put on the road around 200bhp. The Audi had over 300bhp and 4 wheel drive in the mid 80s! Not enough? We give also a tuned step1 version with locked differentials and “moar powaaah”! The Lamborghini Miura SV is one of the most beautiful car ever created and welcomes the Automobili Lamborghini Brand in Assetto Corsa. It defined the term supercar back in the 60s and now we give you the opportunity to drive this million value piece of car history . The Toyota GT86 has been developed in cooperation with RSR Nurburg, that knows each single secret of this modern hachi-roku (eighty six), a car that makes every car enthusiast yell with excitement and every tyre tremble with fear. Our developers tried hard to learn every aspect of the car dynamics. Some tyres have been sacrificed for the cause… Last but not least, the Nissan GT-R Nismo doesn’t need to be introduced: reproducing its dynamic behavior has been a true and exciting challenge, due to active central differential and the well known performances on the Nordschleife. Thanks to the precious support of RSR Nurburg, the help of engineers that work on the car from around the world and our own research, we have been able to replicate the “Godzilla” at its best.
When? VERY soon!''

All sounds good to me. Pretty curious what those trips to Ferrari and McLaren were about…

Clearly update 1.2 and the Bonus Pack is coming soon. I think we all have high hopes for the updates in V1.2 – especially those who saw the alleged leaked changelog – and who doesn’t like free content.

The moral of the story is it’s going to be here soon and hopefully it’ll be worth the wait. In the meantime look at glowy brake rotors (coming in V1.2) to pass the time. Oooooohhh so glowy.

http://www.isrtv.com/assetto-corsa/kunos-talks-assetto-corsa-v1-2-update/

Last edited:
I anxiously await your review.
Not much of a review, but I just drove a few laps around Zandvoort in the Mito, Quattro and the Miura on my laptop (i7-4720HQ/16GB/GTX960m + Xbox 360 controller on Windows 10) and it's pretty awesome. :) Zandvoort looks and drives amazing and I really like the feel of the cars. :cheers: Will give it a go on my PC with the G27 later on.

Haven't played it with a controller for a longtime, but from what I remember it always used to be very twitchy, but when I just played it's really smooth. Console players needn't worry. :cheers:

Alfa Romeo MiTo - Beautiful little thing, your typical hot hatch behaviour with slight understeer and torque steer, likes to step it's tail out while lifting off the gas, makes cornering fairly easy, nice short gear ratios as well. Much more enjoyable as the Giulia and probably on par with the GTA in terms of fun. Managed a 8:20 right from the get go on the Tourist layout Nordschleife, which is E30 M3 teritory, not bad!

Audi Sport Quattro - Probably the most fun car in AC right now. Insane torque once the turbo spools up, lovely sound! Typical Quattro understeer which can be fixed with a load of gas and more steering angle. Braking is very challanging due to the short wheel base, overall just incredibly fun to drive!

Lamborghini Miura - Looks better than it drives, I'm almost inclined to say that the mod was better, the sound definitely was! In terms of driving performance, I didn't really expect much, and wasn't let down. Let's face it, it's a V12 supercar from the 60s, it's nice for a (swift) cruise, but it's no track day machine. If you want to drive it quickly you have to be fairly skilled methinks, especially if the old tyres loose their grip and you end up in a massive slide, and possibly the wall.

Nissan Nismo GT-R - Haven't really figured out this car yet. It has the same performance as some of the faster cars, probably compareable to a 458 and SLS, but it has a weird mixture in terms of handling between the twitchiness of the LaFerrari and Sport Quattro under braking, while having pretty substantial understeer, especially in some of the quicker parts. You really need to pay attention to the car. Ultimately I ended up in the wall, I expected the grip to be higher, but understeer bit me in my buttocks.

Toyota GT 86 - Oh yes! The car I've been personally been waiting for and in some regards I wasn't disappointed. Beautiful balance, low weight. Same as with @Wardez Miata mod, the GT86 is simply a car which you can drive to the maximum, which you simply can't with most of the hypercars. The result is an incredibly rewarding and fun driving experience. The sound is, in traditional AC fashion, pretty mediocre, but still decent. I also find that especially with the Semislicks, the grip is incredible, almost to a point it feels unrealistic. But strap the ECO tyres on and you have yourself a little drifting machine, if you're brave enough. Second car I lapped the Nordschleife with and got a 8:12 from the get go, with a lot of breathing room for faster times.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a good day to be a sim racer with all this competition going on. You can see AC getting better and better with every patch. It's great news, especially for console players. Since all the oddities in AC are being flushed out before it hits consoles, they're going to get an amazingly polished game out of the box (unlike the PC release, though I'm not complaining). The competition (PCARS) is also steadily improving each patch. I wonder if PD can pull a rabbit out of the hat and put up a fight, but at the rate I see the likes of AC/PCARS adapting and improving, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Anyway, only car I still need to try is the GTR Nismo, so far I've been enjoying myself too much with the MiTo, GT86 and the Audi. :D

I'm getting used to the GT-R Nismo but I had to get off Zandvoort (new track for me) and onto Nurburgring GP and other tracks I know well. The sound is incredible, best of any other game's GT-R I've played.

There's only one problem I've noticed though and it's that it slides downhill whenever you're [supposed to be] stopped and on the brakes. Try it. Come to a complete stop and it'll slide in downhill whether you're in gear or not. Is it just me? Kinda weird either way.

Ive been driving the GT86 around the Nords all night, loving it. It is so easy to drive fast, and it feels so natural. I am currently sitting at an 8:15.xxx.

I'm getting used to the GT-R Nismo but I had to get off Zandvoort (new track for me) and onto Nurburgring GP and other tracks I know well. The sound is incredible, best of any other game's GT-R I've played.

There's only one problem I've noticed though and it's that it slides downhill whenever you're [supposed to be] stopped and on the brakes. Try it. Come to a complete stop and it'll slide in downhill whether you're in gear or not. Is it just me? Kinda weird either way.

Yeah same issue for me, must be something to do with the new physics they have used for this car.

Stefano on Twitter:

"As usual we'll do a quick fix update (maybe more than one) during the day so stay tuned."

"ya I've fixed it already this morning" (about the GTR-not-stopping glitch)

New
- Reduced Nissan GTR Nismo low speed oddities
- Nissan GT-R Nismo corrected typo bugs from suspension alignment.
- Nissan GT-R Nismo different damper settings.
- Fixed some skin names who were shown as "0 name"
- Renamed Audi sport quattro red skin to behave as default skin.
- Fixed "Touring cars battle" special event who was not shown in the list
- Fixed F40 door sound in showroom (both variants)
- Fixed AI choosing to go back to pit on last lap if running out of fuel
- Server forced virtual mirror off is now ignored when Oculus is used
- Corrected McLaren MP4 12C GT3 aero map to be slightly more rear bias.
- Fixed Zandvoort track map.

- Server forced virtual mirror off is now ignored when Oculus is used
I wish they would remove this feature. I get what they are trying to accomplish here, making people use mirror for cleaner racing, but it isn't going to work and is very distracting and annoying if your using triple screens. If the person doesn't care enough about the other drivers to even turn the mirror on, forcing it on isn't going to make them care if they ruin your race. This is one of those "feel good" rules. It makes the person setting up the room feel better about his server, but does nothing to actually improve the racing.

That Miura is crazy, but I think I learned how to drive it stable. Finished the Zandvoort special event at "easy", but it was just a training - the gap was big and I could do it at "normal".

Back